BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Had one 15 months ago.

Was on the phone, slurring my words, and right side if my face felt numb, like a shot of novocaine from a dentist.

Didn't get my attention - stupid, huh? I just toughed it out thru the day -'I'll see how I feel in the AM'

GF convinced me I had a stroke, so drove myself to the ER. They freaked out - 'you cannot drive yourself.' Well, I just did, and I'm here, wots next.

Spent 2 days in hospital, all kinds of tests, spent $9k, -no insurance- to have them tell me 'You had a stroke, keep up on your hypertension meds, take an asprin every day, and come back in 2 weeks.'

Now, my speech is back pretty much. Except when I'm drinking- I can start slurring after 2 beers if I'm tired.

Face climbed back up to where it was - still ugly, tho.

Only lingering things is mental, which sucks.

I cannot keep up with a fast flowing multi-way conversation. eg a bunch of guys standing around demolishing a case of beer after work. I just stand and listen now. Otherwise, by the time I have a comment formed the topic has changed.

Cannot multi-task. Everything is one-thing-at-a-time. Otherwise everything gets dropped.

Biggest impact is I'm very emotional. I can burst into tears at the drop of a hat. Reading about Chris Kyle had me crying all over the keyboard. The National Anthem, sung correctly, not like the superbowl, will just turn me upside down in tears.

Another thing, I dont get upset at anything, any more. Have not had an argument with anybody, or gotton pissed off about anything, in over a year. Not much drive or ambition, either.

Just cruising thru the days.

The only thing I learned is that for the next one, get to the ER asap, within 4 hours anyway, 'cause there are ways to deal with clots caught in time.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top