BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<----------------- What the hell do you think?

I don't know, but I'm yesterdays Huck Finn.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I still listen to them, but my interest dropped off after counterparts.
My favorite stuff is all pre Presto.

I do like some of their later stuff, but early Rush is just awesome music,

I agree.  The music lost  something around that time but Test For Echo and Vapor Trails are great!  I love Earthshine.  Very complex, layered music.

Alex Lifeson is the most underrated guitarist.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I still listen to them, but my interest dropped off after counterparts.
My favorite stuff is all pre Presto.

I do like some of their later stuff, but early Rush is just awesome music,

I agree.  The music lost  something around that time but Test For Echo and Vapor Trails are great!  I love Earthshine.  Very complex, layered music.

Alex Lifeson is the most underrated guitarist.

My vote for MOST underrated guitarisr might be Frank Zappa, but I do agree that Mr. Lifeson doesn't get his due enough.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, You?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the best drummers ever.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The music lost  something around that time but Test For Echo and Vapor Trails are great!

Vapor Trails was a huge disappointment, IMO – Very muddy sound, and not up to their previous technical standards. Test For Echo didn't exactly break any new ground, either. They need another Moving Pictures, Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves or 2112.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I'm old enough to say Hemispheres was their best and Moving Pictures their most important commercial success.

We're all on the train to Bangkok at some point in our lives.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Rush?  Never heard of 'em.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#10]
"Marathon" is an awesome song.  Been listening to them since around 1978 or so.  2112 gets better the louder you play it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Age 43,  seen them at least 2 times, confirmed date of march 30, 1983 at University of Dayton, and again at Dayton Hara Arena,  and I keep thinking there was a third time...  I could not find the ticket stubs, as I was going to post pic of the stubs.... DAMMIT

Excellent show all the way around.  I enjoyed the graphic on the screen and laser show.

Did find the stubs for Ozzy (May-82),  KISS (Jan-83),  Van Halen (July-82 & Feb-84), Asia (June-82), Genisis (Nov-81 & Dec-83)
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
From one of my all time favs....

The night is black, without a moon.
The air is thick and still.
The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill.

Features distorted in the flickering light,
Faces are twisted and grotesque.
Silent and stern in the sweltering night,
The mob moves like demons possesed.
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right,
Confident their ways are best.

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will.
Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat and burn and kill.

They say there are strangers who threaten us,
Our immigrants and infidels.
They say there is strangeness to danger us
In our theatres and bookstore shelves,
That those who know what’s best for us
Must rise and save us from ourselves.

Quick to judge,
Quick to anger,
Slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice
And fear walk hand in hand.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The music lost  something around that time but Test For Echo and Vapor Trails are great!

Vapor Trails was a huge disappointment, IMO – Very muddy sound, and not up to their previous technical standards. Test For Echo didn't exactly break any new ground, either. They need another Moving Pictures, Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves or 2112.

The mixture of electric and acoustic guitars on TFE was a return to earlier styles from Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres.  "Resist" reminds me of "Closer to the Heart."  

Vapor Trails was different since it lacked the typical guitar solo in the songs but the musical changes throughout each song still allowed Alex to display his skills. I found Peart's lyrics on these two CD's to be his best in a while.  "Half the World" picks up some of the same themes from "The Trees."

Just my opinion.

Either way, for over 30 years, they've put out some damn good music.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]
used to be, still got a bunch of their CDS, Tom Saywer from Moving Pictures ? rocks

Best Rush song "Spirit of Radio" !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Wolfpack and I saw them here in Vegas a few months ago, they still kick ass!

Spirit of Radio is just an incredible song... paying homage to such a simple thing as radio was ingenious.

Begin the day with a friendly voice,
A companion unobtrusive
Plays the song that's so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood.

Off on your way, hit the open road,
There is magic at your fingers
For the Spirit ever lingers,
Undemanding contact in your happy solitude.

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antennae bristle with the energy
Emotional feedback on timeless wavelength
Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

All this machinery making modern music
Can still be open-hearted.
Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity.

For the words of the profits were written on the studio wall,
Concert hall
And echoes with the sounds of salesmen.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Mmmm............Subdivisions
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]

You must be an old Fuck...   takes either a crazy or an ignorant person
to call  members of a gun board Punks..  

Punk these days mean you take it up the ass... as in getting punked in Prison..

I will not answer your question as I am not in that catagory..

Realist
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if I've ever met any punk rockers who where big Rush fans......
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Realist

WTF? Is this like a Texas thing? I knew what the hell he meant, and never gave it a homosexual connotation. Damn.

Jesus, even popular culture doesn't entirely share your view. On MTV's "Punk'd", no one gets their poo stabbed.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Realist

Drinking and posting -  it's a dangerous thing!

Gotta know which thread that is supposed to be in so I can watch the fireworks.

Didn't  Rush have a song titled "New World Punk?"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I just found the concert programs for Power Windows, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just found the concert programs for Power Windows, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure!

I think I vaguely remember attending a Texas Jam in Dallas that had both Rush and Van Halen on the roster – Was more of a visual than a sonic spectacle, IIRC...The acoustics at the Cotton Bowl truly suck!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:24:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, Rush is great.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Bleeding hearts and begging hands will only cry out for more...
YYZ, xanadu, 2112, mystic rhythms, natural science, the manhattan project, Spirit of the radio, the trees, dreamline, passage to bankok, jacob's ladder, beneath between & behind. those are some my favorites this week.  I think the best "message songs" are the razors edge and 2112.  The puns in the cover art on counterparts are superb.  best live is rio, but the london disc from different stages rocks as well.
I found a CD called Exit... stage right, it is a string quartet that plays the songs from exit stage left, very interesting to listen to, as you can hear some of the musical origins i.e. spirit of the radie sounds like zydeco, YYz sounds like it has hevy jewish roots.  Intellectual libertarian rock 'n' roll, i love it
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so host up some damn songs already, willja?

I would, but it ain't legal and ar15.com isn't a warez or mp3 trading site.

aint legal, says who..
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

aint legal, says who..

Says me. Dude, you can't go around giving people copyrighted material for free and expect it to be legal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#28]
2112 and Working Man are by far my favorite Rush songs and are close to the top of my favorites. I saw them 4 times in the mid to late '70's.

At one concert we got there early and were seated close to the stage but off to the side. We saw G. Lee on roller skates and rolling all over in the entrance to the stair well. We waved and he waved back. I thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#29]
First ever concert was Rush on the Counterparts tour in 1994.

Primus opened.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Some guy is selling his "Permanent Waves" concert tour guide for $75 on eBay. Maybe I should sell mine and buy some ammo...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:16:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

aint legal, says who..

Says me. Dude, you can't go around giving people copyrighted material for free and expect it to be legal.

ever been to a library?

besides, who says its free?  I pay monthly internet fees.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Big Rush fan here, too.  Favorite alubms are Caress of Steel and Signals....favorite tune by Rush is the Analog Kid....still gives me chills every time I hear it as does Countdown.

Biggest Rush pet peeve?  The fans.....no offense to any of our board members...I'd see a Rush show with you guys any time....but most Rush fans ( and Pink floyd fans, too ) are fucking IDIOTS.  A bunch of drunk, drugged out fucks who couldn't get out of 1983 if you gave 'em a Humvee.  What draws such worthless filth to these two great bands is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A bunch of drunk, drugged out fucks who couldn't get out of 1983 if you gave 'em a Humvee.  What draws such worthless filth to these two great bands is beyond me.

You've just described most rock concert-goers and nearly all professional football fans.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A bunch of drunk, drugged out fucks who couldn't get out of 1983 if you gave 'em a Humvee.  What draws such worthless filth to these two great bands is beyond me.

You've just described most rock concert-goers and nearly all professional football, NASCAR and pro wrestling fans.

Added a couple that you left out
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#35]
  Man..............you guys are right.............

Most people should just die, I think.  I hate seeing a good thing get ruined.....well, there's not much that "pro wrestling" is good for....but nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#36]
"Countdown" uses real audio from a Columbia launch.  Gives me chills everytime I hear it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
"Countdown" uses real audio from a Columbia launch.  Gives me chills everytime I hear it.

Same here.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Mega Ditto's!

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Neal Peart IS the greatest drummer of all time, IMHO. Unfortunately I have never seen Rush live, though I've had the opportunity.

If they are on tour now it may be set back a bit. Alex Lifeson is about to go on trial in Florida for an incident last year. I believe he assaulted a police officer or deputy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#40]

Been to six of their shows. Best one was, when I went home with two girls(threesome). Fun night!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

aint legal, says who..

ever been to a library?

besides, who says its free?  I pay monthly internet fees.

Are you kidding me?

You've either caught me hook line and sinker with a good troll, or...well...I dunno. I thought the legality of downloading copyrighted stuff for free was well known by all, but I could be wrong. Look over these:

"A UA student landed a deferred prison sentence and thousands of dollars in fines last month in the state's first ever prosecution of an Internet intellectual property piracy case."
wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/98/112/01_4.html

And from the U.S. Copyright Office website:
Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner's exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution. Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150, 000 for each work infringed. In addition, an infringer of a work may also be liable for the attorney's fees incurred by the copyright owner to enforce his or her rights.

Whether or not a particular work is being made available under the authority of the copyright owner is a question of fact. But since any original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium (including a computer file) is protected by federal copyright law upon creation, in the absence of clear information to the contrary, most works may be assumed to be protected by federal copyright law.

Since the files distributed over peer-to-peer networks are primarily copyrighted works, there is a risk of liability for downloading material from these networks. To avoid these risks, there are currently many "authorized" services on the Internet that allow consumers to purchase copyrighted works online, whether music, ebooks, or motion pictures. By purchasing works through authorized services, consumers can avoid the risks of infringement liability and can limit their exposure to other potential risks, e.g., viruses, unexpected material, or spyware.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#42]
heck yeah! John Rutsey is (was) the man
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't know PUNK

How about you ? [punk]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:52:03 AM EDT
[#44]
2112 is the most awesome song of all time.

Rush is the only decent thing Canada has ever produced.

Which doesn't say much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#45]
They rock.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn right I'm a RUSH fan

Certainly my all time favorite band and I'd probably pick Moving Pictures as their best album.
But they are ALL good.  I've seen them twice in KC, twice in Omaha, and most recently in Chicago
at Tingley Park for the Vapor Trails tour.  That one was the best of them all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top