User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
are you looking for rear wheel drive, Front wheel drive or all wheel drive? Stick or auto?    

For 10 grand or under I'd buy a used Acura RSX type S with a 6 speed manual. Dead nuts reliable and handles well and has a huge aftermarket support if you wish to upgrade.  

A VW GTI with the 2.0 Turbo engine would be another fun blaster. 
View Quote
The Type S was a step back from the Integra/Civic SI in everything but power.

A well sorted 350/370Z is a really good idea if you want import.

E46 with an LS swap is yummy.

Have you looked into an older porsche if you want to spend some cash long run?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the brz is the perfect car for you, or a newer Miata.

Your keeping your Prius, you want something fun, compact, sporty, good gas mileage. Brz sounds like it's in your budget and way better than a 15 year old corvette or some other old car that will most likely leave you stranded at some point.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Co worker has a newer BRZ. He test drove the new Miata and right off like the gear ratios much better.
He's selling the BRZ for a loss and getting a Miata. He previously was a BMW guy
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I want rwd and a stick shift

I could probably be talked into the right awd/fwd car

If I buy the brz (or anything) I will modify it so stock power dosent scare me off
View Quote
So you want a fun car not necessarily a daily driver for around 10k? Stick and RWD. hmm...   Back to the Honda S2000 and Miata for me. BRZ is just to slow and it's handling isn't that good. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So you want a fun car not necessarily a daily driver for around 10k? Stick and RWD. hmm...   Back to the Honda S2000 and Miata for me. BRZ is just to slow and it's handling isn't that good. 
View Quote
10K would cover rims and tires on a Viper.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Since the Prius will continue to be driven, I'll second(or third) the idea of a LS swapped RX7.

$10-15k will get you a very nicely completed(and fucking fast) FC RX7, or a basic swapped(stock LS, less aftermarket parts, slightly rougher)FD RX7 starting at the upper end of that budget.

Check out www.norotors.com for what 300-1krwhp+ in a 2600lb car can be like. Pure awesome sauce.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

10K would cover rims and tires on a Viper.
View Quote
it was a joke  No one would commute 250 a day with a Viper 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
it was a joke  No one would commute 250 a day with a Viper 
View Quote
Yeah.. no one.. Nope....
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Grew up riding in the back seat of that exact car.  Thing was a living room on wheels!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to go with a small sporty car for a mountain road commute (luxury be damned), you might as well just buy the new MX-5 Miata. It's really, really, really good. You can get it with a retractable hardtop, too:

Personally? I wouldn't want to sit in one for that long of a commute each and every day (and I loved my NB), but if'n yer gonna anyway...I'd take it over a BRZ/FRS/86. And I'm just about certain it'll be more reliable. 

Your $10-$15k budget kind of kills this, though. For that price, and for the insane number of miles you'll be putting on each year (on a fairly used car), it's really hard to not just suggest a known good appliance for a car. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Rent an apartment close during the week
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The brz is a fun car but it really needs a turbo to be what it should. 370z is something I'd look at, or if you want better mpg a gti is really fun for fwd
View Quote
Comments like this show that people generally miss the point.  2 other cars, neither of which had anything to do with a brz.  The 370 is between 500 and 800 lbs more (sport touring car) and a FWD car...

One other thing, for the guys saying buy an s chassis, I own 2 s13s and a s14.  All upgraded. I still like the brz better. Followed by the s14. And it is distant.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Last year I bought my wife a 2014 370Z with 22k miles for $22k.

Purchased the Nissan extended 100k mile warranty for <$2000.

She daily's it when the weather is good and loves it.

332 hp, 3.70 gears gets around 25ish mpg when she drives it ... around 18 when I do
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Stay away from the Mazdaspeed3. Bought an '11 and sold that damn car within first 5 months. Couple bolt ons and s tune and the damn thing wouldn't keep traction even with Michelin Pilot Sports.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I DD my FR-S and I love it, but even I'd balk at 250mi daily. My commute is about 10-15 daily, almost all of it on low-speed back roads, and the car's perfect for that. As someone else said, it's not really well-designed for long trips. I drive mine 300ish miles up to my parents' in NEPA often, and while there's no issue with doing it, it's not what I'd call a comfortable highway car.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I DD my FR-S and I love it, but even I'd balk at 250mi daily. My commute is about 10-15 daily, almost all of it on low-speed back roads, and the car's perfect for that. As someone else said, it's not really well-designed for long trips. I drive mine 300ish miles up to my parents' in NEPA often, and while there's no issue with doing it, it's not what I'd call a comfortable highway car.
View Quote
99% of the trip is 45-55mph winding mountian passes i wore out a set of tires in my Prius in 10,000 miles I am dying for a fun car
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

99% of the trip is 45-55mph winding mountian passes i wore out a set of tires in my Prius in 10,000 miles I am dying for a fun car
View Quote
Hmm. If you can put up with the seats and the stiff suspension for 250 miles a day, honestly, it might work for you. The car gets loud due to the lack of sound insulation, but I don't really give a shit because I've got my iPod cranked up. If you like to listen to music on your commute, the road noise won't bother you. The stock system on the FR-S/86 (as typical of "Scion" vehicles) is visually unappealing but sounds halfway decent. The one on the BRZ wasn't quite as good; maybe they've improved it.

ETA: You will go through tires, of course, but at 17" the 86 platform's tires are fairly inexpensive as compared to some other things.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I agree.  From what I have read about them, maybe a Mazda 6?  Good mileage, good handling, and for 2017 Mazda was supposed to add a lot of sound insulation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a lot of time in a car that small. Personally, I think it'd get old quick. 

I'd go with something roomier and a bit more cush, but still sporty. 
I agree.  From what I have read about them, maybe a Mazda 6?  Good mileage, good handling, and for 2017 Mazda was supposed to add a lot of sound insulation.
Fusion Sport? Mustang? I have a v6 and if I drive nicely on the highway I can get 29 MPG, I've heard of people in the GT getting that high on the highway too due it it not having to work as hard to stay at 75-80.
Just saw 15k limit, that blocks out fusion Sport but not mustang.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#20]
After I move to Tx I will be getting BRZ/GT86 or a 370Z.

Haven't made up my mind 100% yet.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you driven one? How about an ecoboost mustang? Seems like that would be a competitor.

Subaru makes good cars, they're just as well made as other Fuji products (Toyota,Lexus) the BRZ is better at what it does than people give it credit for, the boxer engine is great and gives it a lower COG than other layouts which makes a big difference.

Wish they'd put the WRX engine in them though.

With that long a commute I'd want something a little bigger and heavier I think.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have you driven one? How about an ecoboost mustang? Seems like that would be a competitor.

Subaru makes good cars, they're just as well made as other Fuji products (Toyota,Lexus) the BRZ is better at what it does than people give it credit for, the boxer engine is great and gives it a lower COG than other layouts which makes a big difference.

Wish they'd put the WRX engine in them though.  NA Subaru 3.6 H6 FTW

With that long a commute I'd want something a little bigger and heavier I think.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:32:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Forget the car OP, just rent a room or apartment somewhere during the week. You're coming home just to sleep and probably spending a rent payment on gas alone, not even including how much of your life you are wasting just sitting in the car all day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:38:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Comments like this show that people generally miss the point.  2 other cars, neither of which had anything to do with a brz.  The 370 is between 500 and 800 lbs more (sport touring car) and a FWD car...

One other thing, for the guys saying buy an s chassis, I own 2 s13s and a s14.  All upgraded. I still like the brz better. Followed by the s14. And it is distant.
View Quote
370Z is comfortable for a 250mi drive.

15k gets you a BRZ or an S chassis with a ton of money left over to make it fun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#26]
C5 Vette. Easy to work on, decent gas mileage, a lot of power for the money. And I'm not even a Chevy fan.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I got one and it lacks heavily in the suspension power department. If you want a track day fun car OK. Otherwise dont do it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

370Z is comfortable for a 250mi drive.

15k gets you a BRZ or an S chassis with a ton of money left over to make it fun.
View Quote
15k doesn't go that far, I'm looking at nearly 30k in the s14 if I swap an ls3(factoring about 11-12k for the swap, with a rebuilt engine) and other parts.  You can buy cheap with the s chassis, and generally, you will regret it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I got one and it lacks heavily in the suspension power department. If you want a track day fun car OK. Otherwise dont do it.
View Quote
I just picked up a set of AST coil overs for mine. Haven't installed them yet.  Fucking top hats are crazy expensive for the brz/frs platform.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

15k doesn't go that far, I'm looking at nearly 30k in the s14 if I swap an ls3(factoring about 11-12k for the swap, with a rebuilt engine) and other parts.  You can buy cheap with the s chassis, and generally, you will regret it.
View Quote
I did a SR20DET S13.

Outside of parts becoming less readily availible a blown engine S Chassis could have a motor swap for a lot closer to 15k then having a BRZ in good condition and low mileage around me.

LS engines aren't bad, easy to find, and cheap to work on.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, you are on the right track.  

Back in the late '80's/ early '90s I lived in the Bay Area and had to commute over the San Andreas mountains every day.  An hour each way.

I bought a '72 Alfa Spyder.  (Clarkson would be proud of me.). Daily driver for 5 years.  (Kept it for 20 years.) I enjoyed every minute of it.  Every morning, going to work was like a vacation.  Going home from work was like a vacation.  

Find a car you love driving, and you'll enjoy your commute.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're in CO. Get an AWD sporty car and a set of steelies with studded snow tires for the winters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're in CO. Get an AWD sporty car and a set of steelies with studded snow tires for the winters.
View Quote
Did the whole winter in my Prius two winters before that I did it in a 1968 Mercedes 240d I don't need or want the awd crutch I have a big lifted XJ and awd sienna if it gets real bad
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top