Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember where I got this GIF, but that would be an intense moment.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw6xF7PH/Grouper_Takes_Fish.gif
View Quote

Shit, and a free diver, too. No, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Curious does anyone know any good fiction books on the subject? Either wicked deep sea stuff or seam monster crap or lovecraft style type?
View Quote

The Meg series. Much better than the movie, and there are a handful of them all together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
That article in the OP was a good read, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After almost 50 years as a certified diver, I've got my share of "moments".

A few:

17 years old, diving in central IL lakes, ponds and rivers. Surfaced once in Lake Shelbyville to find a fucking water moccasin swimming 4 feet from me. INSTANT submerge!

On Okinawa, diving off Seragaki, I swam over the top of a coral head and kissed a moray that was coming over from the opposite side. I dunno who was more surprised.

1st stage freeze at 80'... after exhaling. That was a fun ESA that I honestly thought I was gonna die.

More sharks than I can shake a speargun at. Had one of the sumbitches bite my catch bag as it was going back up the float... 5' away.

Solo diving in a CA kelp bed (I've been solo diving LONG before it became a "thing" that the cert agencies could scam money for), had a damn harbor seal that thought I was it's new play toy. Fucker wouldn't leave me alone.

Ice diving in IL, had the entry hole ice over because the asshole that was supposed to keep it clear got cold, got in the truck and fell asleep. Luckily the ice wasn't real thick and my buddy and I were able to chip a hole big enough to let us break through. The 'tender' got some tender treatment afterwards.

Got caught in a ghost net off the CA coast in a kelp bed. Fucking thing weighed so much, I couldn't surface, no matter what I tried. Ended up sawing my way free, with help from my buddy and surfaced on my Spare Air. Learned to NEVER, EVER have a dull dive knife again.

Got stuck in a hole chasing bugs and had to strip out of my gear to get out. My buddy said I looked like a snake shedding it's skin, I was wiggling around so much.

I've had a lotta fun diving over the years and when I was younger, probably shoulda died because of some of the stupid shit I did; but I didn't and now I'm at the point where I can say "Nope, y'all have fun." when others want to do them.

View Quote

You weren't EOD at K-Bay were you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They actually have divers so a sweep ahead of Ranger School patrols for swamp phase (and on land,  trying to clear hazardous wildlife so half- comatose students don't encounter it).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not necessarily diving related, but crocs and gators are very much "not cool" when you are in their environment and potentially part of the food chain.  We used to have a training area down in the Canal Zone in Panama.  You'd shine your flashlight along the shore and see dozens of eyes shining back at you from the water...the same water you were just crossing through up to your chest just a few hours before.
They actually have divers so a sweep ahead of Ranger School patrols for swamp phase (and on land,  trying to clear hazardous wildlife so half- comatose students don't encounter it).
Yep 6th RTB In FL has a full dive team and dive locker just for that.

They check all the rope bridge crossings for debris underwater and sit on the dive boat along with the safety boats during the 'Los Banjos' Santa Rosa Island boat crossing.

Biggest thing we ever saw is snakes and a small gator once while I was there.

Each diver is qualified at the SF combat diver course in the keys.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Tw6xF7PH/Grouper_Takes_Fish.gif
View Quote
Always worried about that when spear fishing and having fish in the mesh bag on my hip.

2-3 fish and I am going back to the boat, went in a tug to pull a fish in and was face to face with a fish three times as big.

Luckily for me he wasn't hungry and my catch and I hauled ass.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep 6th RTB In FL has a full dive team and dive locker just for that.

They check all the rope bridge crossings for debris underwater and sit on the dive boat along with the safety boats during the 'Los Banjos' Santa Rosa Island boat crossing.

Each diver is qualified at the SF combat diver course in the keys.

View Quote
1985 this was not the case. after the training death of a student safety precautions were stepped way up. Immediately after the training death divers were required to be in fast moving river before any attempted crossings took place. there was a admin halt for a few hours until the body was found. that's the dated info. I remember.

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1985 this was not the case. after the training death of a student safety precautions were stepped way up. Immediately after the training death divers were required to be in fast moving river before any attempted crossings took place. there was a admin halt for a few hours until the body was found. that's the dated info. I remember.

View Quote
Lots of changes have been made to ensure safety for the students since then.

Had only they done that before...

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Some stuff  for you guys on cave diving. Video is dated, but the message is still valid.

Blueprint for Survival by Sheck Exley. From the 80s, but it’s the basis of the rules cave divers use today.

https://nsscds.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Blueprint-for-Survival.pdf

Video - A Deceptively Easy Way to Die

A deceptively easy way to die - Cave Diving
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The Meg series. Much better than the movie, and there are a handful of them all together.
View Quote
The beginning of that movie had sooo much potential, once the shark got out it turned into a cluster
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That article in the OP was a good read, thanks.
View Quote
Seriously it blew me away, one of the best articles Ive read on any subject online
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Many years ago I was out off the coast of Maine with my cousin, fishing from a small boat he owned at the time.

We had dropped anchor at one spot and fished for awhile and, after getting nothing, decided to move to a different spot.

So we are pulling in the anchor only to find it had gotten stuck and fouled up on..."something."

We don't know what it is, but try as we might, we cannot free the anchor.  Something heavy, whatever it was.

Then we are thinking maybe it got stuck on a lobster trap down there someplace.

One thing about Maine lobstermen - you DO NOT fuck with their traps.  Some of them are crazy and might even shoot you with one of those Bushmaster rifles they used to make up there.

So after awhile of trying to free the anchor we discuss the situation further.

You can't see a damn thing in that greenish water.

But I am an excellent swimmer.  So I was thinking of volunteering to dive in the water and follow the line down a little with my hands, to try and identify the problem and free the anchor.

Fine.  We decide that's the plan.

I take my shirt and shoes off and am about to jump in the H20, when suddenly...

...that God damned theme song from the movie JAWS starts playing in my head.

And of course, New England waters are where that story was set.

Yeah, fuck that noise.

I tell my cousin "Sorry, but it ain't happening."

We decided to cut the line and he was out an anchor.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I was retrieving some “artifacts” from a wreck once and got tangled up in a wiring harness. I honestly thought I was gonna meet my maker that day.

I still get chills thinking about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I started diving in 1992, and over the next couple years got very heavy into wreck diving off Long Island in what is known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic".
At the same time, I was also on my FD's dive team and was certified in whats known as "black water rescue". Its basically dive rescue without being able to see... anything... Not even your light shining at your face from a foot away. It can be so bad you actually taped a ziplock bag of clear water to your gauge pod so you can squish it against your mask and see how much air you have and your depth...

The visibility in the Atlantic can be as good as 30-50 feet on a great day with calm seas, or it can be as bad as finding the wreck by running into it with your head... And did I mention cold? Yea, even at the end of the summer, at depth, its rare to see temps above 50° at 80'+. The further you go down, the colder it gets at exponential rates. The thermoclines in the Atlantic can go -20° In the span of a couple feet.

So here are a couple good ones from my time in the water...

Second wreck dive in the ocean in my new dive adventures. Wreck called the R.C. Mohawk. Several miles out in the middle of the ocean off the coast of NJ. The dirt is around 110', the wreck is mostly broken down, no overhead, but loaded with all kinds of lobsters and various sea life. Visibility is about 10'-15'. Not bad for this area. Surface is shitty with 3' rolling waves, cloud cover and grey stormy looking skies. So typical day for Long Island wreck diving...
Down at depth with my normal dive buddy, (best friend, and fellow FD dive team member) as we are swimming around, we see a small sand shark come up out of the dirt and chase after another small fish. My buddy swims after it to watch the outcome, and I swim after him. We probably didn't swim more than 10 or 15 yards, but it far enough we lost sight of the wreck, and neither one of us was running a line since there was no overhead (we both had reels, but neither one of us tied in). So we both think we know which way we swam, and make a 180° turn and head back. The bottom is featureless, no rocks, no hills, no waves in the sand, no nothing. Well, we guess wrong. We swim for 10 yards, and nothing. We swim another 10 yards and still nothing. Annnd we are out of time. We didn't have the gas for more searching without going into a deco situation, so we decide we need to head up. Only problem is, we have no anchor line, and also have nothing to tie into to run an up line. So we have to surface and do a drift hang for a safety stop, since at this point, we are at the absolute limit on the tables. So we hold on to each other and head up, level off at 15' for a few minutes and then head up to the surface. We break the surface and can't see the boat... l spin around, and its no where to be seen... I ride a wave up and kick as I reach the top and I see it... probably 500 yards away. The current has pushed us over a quarter mile from the boat. In shitty seas. We blew up our wings, and laid back and kicked... the waves were bad enough we had to keep our regs in our mouths because every minute or so a big wave would roll over us and dunk us. It seemed like the boat wasn't getting closer so we both unbuckled our wings and flipped over and used them like kickboards. That worked much better and we finally made it back. That was probably the longest swim of my entire life. After that dive, I ALWAYS ran a reel on a wreck, even if there was no over head.

My one and only night time wreck dive came years later, and was a single night dive on a wreck called the Stolt Dagali. Dirt is at 130', but you could touch the top of the wreck around 80'. I had dove on this wreck a couple times before and visibility was normally really good, about 40-50' was not infrequent. A recent NE storm had kicked up the bottom and on this particular night, the vis was only around 10', with a ton of particles in the water. Like driving in a blizzard at night with your high beams on.
But it was glass smooth on the surface, and almost zero current. It was still a decent dive that I enjoyed, right up till the end... I was diving with 7 other guys on this trip, although all of us were diving "solo". For most of the dive I could hear other divers around me, either breathing or bumping into the wreck. As it was a single dive trip, I had planed a long deco dive with a set of doubles on my back, and a sling bottle with a 50/50 mix for deco. My plan had me hanging at a first stop depth of 40', then every ten feet as I went up with an increased stop duration as I went up.
So I'm at my second stop at 30', and clipped into the line just literally "hanging out" a couple feet off the anchor line. Its pitch black as I have my lights turned off, and just have a cyalume stick zip tied to my cross bar on my tanks. Its glow is barely perceptible if I turn my head all to way to the side. Just hanging there when all of a sudden something bumps into my tanks on my back. Not a crash, just a bump. Felt like someone trying to squeeze past me in a narrow hall. I figured it was another diver coming up the anchor line and they didn't see me. No big deal. I turn on my light and pan around my feet and dont see anything but some bubbles coming up from the guys below me. I spin around in the water and shine my light out and there I see it. A shadow about 10' in length, just close enough that I could tell it was a shark, but too far to see what kind. It slowly circled around me, and stayed the same distance away as it did. Then it cruised a little further away to the point I couldn't see it anymore. I pretty much freaked... I wanted to blast to the surface, but I knew if I did I would get seriously bent and spend the next couple days in a chamber if I survived the ride. So I turned off my light, I closed my eyes and tucked up into a ball (I was thinking I didn't want to lose and arm or a leg). I was alone on that line for what seemed like an hour but was probably only 10 minutes before another diver came up next to me. When I moved up to 20', there was several guys already there so I was safe and the feeling of doom quickly faded away.... But that was the first and only night dive I ever did out in the middle of the Atlantic.

And I give the cave divers here mad props. Y'all got some balls. I have always said F#*k that, I don't like caves, don't like going into caves on land, and sure as shit don't wanna dive in one. I have a few friends that cave dive. All have "oh shit stories". Some that got silted out and got out by pure dumb luck, and some that were trained enough to save their own asses. No thanks, not for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I started diving in 1992, and over the next couple years got very heavy into wreck diving off Long Island in what is known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic".
At the same time, I was also on my FD's dive team and was certified in whats known as "black water rescue". Its basically dive rescue without being able to see... anything... Not even your light shining at your face from a foot away. It can be so bad you actually taped a ziplock bag of clear water to your gauge pod so you can squish it against your mask and see how much air you have and your depth...

The visibility in the Atlantic can be as good as 30-50 feet on a great day with calm seas, or it can be as bad as finding the wreck by running into it with your head... And did I mention cold? Yea, even at the end of the summer, at depth, its rare to see temps above 50° at 80'+. The further you go down, the colder it gets at exponential rates. The thermoclines in the Atlantic can go -20° In the span of a couple feet.

Second wreck dive in the ocean in my new dive adventures. Wreck called the R.C. Mohawk. Several miles out in the middle of the ocean off the coast of NJ. The dirt is around 110', the wreck is mostly broken down, no overhead, but loaded with all kinds of lobsters and various sea life. Visibility is about 10'-15'. Not bad for this area. Surface is shitty with 3' rolling waves, cloud cover and grey stormy looking skies. So typical day for Long Island wreck diving...
Down at depth with my normal dive buddy, (best friend, and fellow FD dive team member) as we are swimming around, we see a small sand shark come up out of the dirt and chase after another small fish. My buddy swims after it to watch the outcome, and I swim after him. We probably didn't swim more than 10 or 15 yards, but it far enough we lost sight of the wreck, and neither one of us was running a line since there was no overhead (we both had reels, but neither one of us tied in). So we both think we know which way we swam, and make a 180° turn and head back. The bottom is featureless, no rocks, no hills, no waves in the sand, no nothing. Well, we guess wrong. We swim for 10 yards, and nothing. We swim another 10 yards and still nothing. Annnd we are out of time. We didn't have the gas for more searching without going into a deco situation, so we decide we need to head up. Only problem is, we have no anchor line, and also have nothing to tie into to run an up line. So we have to surface and do a drift hang for a safety stop, since at this point, we are at the absolute limit on the tables. So we hold on to each other and head up, level off at 15' for a few minutes and then head up to the surface. We break the surface and can't see the boat... l spin around, and its no where to be seen... I ride a wave up and kick as I reach the top and I see it... probably 500 yards away. The current has pushed us over a quarter mile from the boat. In shitty seas. We blew up our wings, and laid back and kicked... the waves were bad enough we had to keep our regs in our mouths because every minute or so a big wave would roll over us and dunk us. It seemed like the boat wasn't getting closer so we both unbuckled our wings and flipped over and used them like kickboards. That worked much better and we finally made it back. That was probably the longest swim of my entire life. After that dive, I ALWAYS ran a reel on a wreck, even if there was no over head.

My one and only night time wreck dive came years later, and was a single night dive on a wreck called the Stolt Dagali. Dirt is at 130', but you could touch the top of the wreck around 80'. I had dove on this wreck a couple times before and visibility was normally really good, about 40-50' was not infrequent. A recent NE storm had kicked up the bottom and on this particular night, the vis was only around 10', with a ton of particles in the water. Like driving in a blizzard at night with your high beams on.
But it was glass smooth on the surface, and almost zero current. It was still a decent dive that I enjoyed, right up till the end... I was diving with 7 other guys on this trip, although all of us were diving "solo". For most of the dive I could hear other divers around me, either breathing or bumping into the wreck. As it was a single dive trip, I had planed a long deco dive with a set of doubles on my back, and a sling bottle with a 50/50 mix for deco. My plan had me hanging at a first stop depth of 40', then every ten feet as I went up with an increased stop duration as I went up.
So I'm at my second stop at 30', and clipped into the line just literally "hanging out" a couple feet off the anchor line. Its pitch black as I have my lights turned off, and just have a cyalume stick zip tied to my cross bar on my tanks. Its glow is barely perceptible if I turn my head all to way to the side. Just hanging there when all of a sudden something bumps into my tanks on my back. Not a crash, just a bump. Felt like someone trying to squeeze past me in a narrow hall. I figured it was another diver coming up the anchor line and they didn't see me. No big deal. I turn on my light and pan around my feet and dont see anything but some bubbles coming up from the guys below me. I spin around in the water and shine my light out and there I see it. A shadow about 10' in length, just close enough that I could tell it was a shark, but too far to see what kind. It slowly circled around me, and stayed the same distance away as it did. Then it cruised a little further away to the point I couldn't see it anymore. I pretty much freaked... I wanted to blast to the surface, but I knew if I did I would get seriously bent and spend the next couple days in a chamber if I survived the ride. So I turned off my light, I closed my eyes and tucked up into a ball (I was thinking I didn't want to lose and arm or a leg). I was alone on that line for what seemed like an hour but was probably only 10 minutes before another diver came up next to me. When I moved up to 20', there was several guys already there so I was safe and the feeling of doom quickly faded away.... But that was the first and only night dive I ever did out in the middle of the Atlantic.

And I give the cave divers here mad props. Y'all got some balls. I have always said F#*k that, I don't like caves, don't like going into caves on land, and sure as shit don't wanna dive in one. I have a few friends that cave dive. All have "oh shit stories". Some that got silted out and got out by pure dumb luck, and some that were trained enough to save their own asses. No thanks, not for me.
View Quote

I don’t like night dives at all. Did two at the local quarry during my night specialty three years ago. Horrid experience. Then there are the skeeters. I was bitten bad. If I don’t ever do another night dive, I won’t be sad. Cave diving is in the dark, but it’s totally different in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don’t like night dives at all. Did two at the local quarry during my night specialty three years ago. Horrid experience. Then there are the skeeters. I was bitten bad. If I don’t ever do another night dive, I won’t be sad. Cave diving is in the dark, but it’s totally different in my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its funny, I have no problems with wrecks and being inside, even if its out of sight of any light and its pitch black. No issues with black water, and have done rescues at night, but in 20 or 30' of water near the shore or in a marina... not 20 miles out in the ocean... Something about being in the open ocean, at night and hanging on a line with who knows what just out of sight. Its like the ultimate horror movie when you know there is something just waiting to jump out of the dark and grab you. I think the night time makes the mind think the worst, and hanging on an anchor line just clipped in with your jon line, you get bored and the mind wanders.

Caves always make me think, at any minute, something can shift and its game over, and you won't know until you try to leave. I tell myself inside a wreck I can probably find another way out. My 20+ years as a firefighter has ingrained in my mind if you are stuck in a man made structure, you can go around something, move something, or break through something to get out. But in a cave, its one way in and one way out.

I know in reality, many wrecks are just as dangerous, and a guy I had dove with on several occasions died on the Andrea Doria years ago. He was one of the best trained and best equipped divers I ever met. He got turned around in a silt out and his line got tangled in some of the structure. When he tried to leave, he missed the door and went down the wrong corridor, got lost and ran out of air. Horrible way to go. Took a team of 4 guys searching to find him, and 4 more to get him out. But at least his family had some closure and knew what happened.

Shit happens, and when it happens 230' below the surface, things go bad real fast.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Its funny, I have no problems with wrecks and being inside, even if its out of sight of any light and its pitch black. No issues with black water, and have done rescues at night, but in 20 or 30' of water near the shore or in a marina... not 20 miles out in the ocean... Something about being in the open ocean, at night and hanging on a line with who knows what just out of sight. Its like the ultimate horror movie when you know there is something just waiting to jump out of the dark and grab you. I think the night time makes the mind think the worst, and hanging on an anchor line just clipped in with your jon line, you get bored and the mind wanders.

Caves always make me think, at any minute, something can shift and its game over, and you won't know until you try to leave. I tell myself inside a wreck I can probably find another way out. My 20+ years as a firefighter has ingrained in my mind if you are stuck in a man made structure, you can go around something, move something, or break through something to get out. But in a cave, its one way in and one way out.

I know in reality, many wrecks are just as dangerous, and a guy I had dove with on several occasions died on the Andrea Doria years ago. He was one of the best trained and best equipped divers I ever met. He got turned around in a silt out and his line got tangled in some of the structure. When he tried to leave, he missed the door and went down the wrong corridor, got lost and ran out of air. Horrible way to go. Took a team of 4 guys searching to find him, and 4 more to get him out. But at least his family had some closure and knew what happened.

Shit happens, and when it happens 230' below the surface, things go bad real fast.
View Quote

I love wreck diving, but I don’t have to worry about things that can eat me in the Great Lakes. I’ve poked around in enough wrecks that the mine I dive in doesn’t bother me. Mind you, they drove big trucks into it. There’s no really narrow stuff
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... I ride a wave up and kick as I reach the top and I see it... probably 500 yards away. The current has pushed us over a quarter mile from the boat. In shitty seas. We blew up our wings, and laid back and kicked...
View Quote

This account reminded me of a 'learning' experience when I was younger and dumber.

It wasn't exactly open water, but the family went to the beach. I was maybe about 10 - 11y/o. Had been taking swimming lessons since about 7. Several other families on that stretch of beach.

One of the families with younger children had been playing with a beach ball in the shallows, and the little 4 or 5 y/o girl was crying because the beach ball had gotten away from them, and was being carried out to sea. Being a young dumbass, I thought that I was a decent swimmer and decided to play 'hero' and get the beach ball for them.

By the time I reached the beach ball, and turned around to head back to shore, I was surprised at how far out I was. I then proceeded to swim back to shore, against the rip current that had swept the ball (and me) out to sea. Fortunately, I had the beach ball to use as a flotation device.

By the time I finally made it back to shore, I was completely exhausted.

After returning the ball to the family and collapsing on the mats my family had out for our stuff, I discovered that my dad had witnessed part (or maybe all?) of it. He said, "Well, that was dumb. Did you learn anything from that?". "Next time, don't swim out after a $1 ball. And if you ever get caught in a riptide, don't exhaust yourself swimming directly against it. Swim perpendicular to it until you no longer feel the current pulling you out to sea, THEN swim back to shore". Gee, thanks dad. I wonder what he would have done if I'd slipped under the surface when I was still 100+  yards out?

It's not that he wasn't a loving dad, he just tended to be of the 'school of hard knocks' mentality, and figured that 'hard lessons' tended to teach best. Still,  if I'd lost hold of the beach ball from exhaustion or getting hit with a cramp, I doubt anyone would've made it to me in time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something to think about when hanging on the anchor line with your jon line-
Ever see a crappie jig setup?
Let me know if you think about bait next time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ha!
I have heard it referred to as "Snack on a string" when there are sharks around...
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ha!
I have heard it referred to as "Snack on a string" when there are sharks around...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!

I wonder if anyone makes a bcd that looks like a red and white bobber?
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever see a crappie jig setup? Let me know if you think about bait next time.
Ha! I have heard it referred to as "Snack on a string" when there are sharks around...

Paint your tank red and white, like one of those spoons, or maybe a flashy chrome finish.    

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is a truly terrifying video of the type of monsters you can find in the sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZo3Lfe8MBI
View Quote

I would name those guys Johnson and Evinrude.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:27:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Night diving in Belize with HUGE Tarpon.. The sit right behind/beside you like big puppies.. Didn't seem to mind being touched. Faster than you can comprehend, they hit ANY shiny reflection in your light. It was fun to hunt with them.
View Quote

Did a snorkel under/around the 7 mile bridge in the keys.  Right at tide change, middle of summer, nothing but 5 foot plus long tarpon EVERYWHERE.  All you could see.  Was awesome..
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Paint your tank red and white, like one of those spoons, or maybe a flashy chrome finish.    
https://i.postimg.cc/P5GsTjdy/Shark_Attack.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever see a crappie jig setup? Let me know if you think about bait next time.
Ha! I have heard it referred to as "Snack on a string" when there are sharks around...

https://i.postimg.cc/P5GsTjdy/Shark_Attack.gif

Chrome split fins for the win!
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Haha.  My story happened in Cozumel too.  I was snorkeling though. There was a boat sunk just just offshore from the hotel and shallow enough to where you could swim down to it with only a snorkel and fins.
View Quote

El Presidente?
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/confused-britney-spears--83.gif

@jerrwhy01

Yes, I’m weird as fuck.

@rockdiver

Surprise, surprise - long time no see. I’m intro to cave certified now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, I'm weird as fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't like night dives at all. Cave diving is in the dark, but it's totally different in my mind.
Yes, I'm weird as fuck.

I get it. When you're heading for a cave, you know and expect it to be dark., but when you enter the water on a sunny day and can't see anything it's wrong.

It's normal, if things don't go as they should.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I get it. When you're heading for a cave, you know and expect it to be dark., but when you enter the water on a sunny day and can't see anything it's wrong.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Joker_Everyone_Loses_Their_Mind_jpg-1743611.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't like night dives at all. Cave diving is in the dark, but it's totally different in my mind.
Yes, I'm weird as fuck.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51036/Joker_Everyone_Loses_Their_Mind_jpg-1743611.JPG

I was talking about NIGHT dives vs cave diving.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh, then feel free to ignore what I just posted.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Many years ago I was out off the coast of Maine with my cousin, fishing from a small boat he owned at the time.

We had dropped anchor at one spot and fished for awhile and, after getting nothing, decided to move to a different spot.

So we are pulling in the anchor only to find it had gotten stuck and fouled up on..."something."

We don't know what it is, but try as we might, we cannot free the anchor.  Something heavy, whatever it was.

Then we are thinking maybe it got stuck on a lobster trap down there someplace.

One thing about Maine lobstermen - you DO NOT fuck with their traps.  Some of them are crazy and might even shoot you with one of those Bushmaster rifles they used to make up there.

So after awhile of trying to free the anchor we discuss the situation further.

You can't see a damn thing in that greenish water.

But I am an excellent swimmer.  So I was thinking of volunteering to dive in the water and follow the line down a little with my hands, to try and identify the problem and free the anchor.

Fine.  We decide that's the plan.

I take my shirt and shoes off and am about to jump in the H20, when suddenly...

...that God damned theme song from the movie JAWS starts playing in my head.

And of course, New England waters are where that story was set.

Yeah, fuck that noise.

I tell my cousin "Sorry, but it ain't happening."

We decided to cut the line and he was out an anchor.

View Quote
Yeah that's a hard fucking no
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:43:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I've been certified for 35 years and taught/divemastered on Oahu for several years.

Not creepy but I did get bit on the lower leg by a moray when crossing a shallow reef.  Fortunately he was a little guy and his teefs didn't penetrate all the way through my wetsuit.  Unfortunately because his teefs angled backwards, he got stuck on the lycra outer layer and we spent several awkward moments trying to get rid of each other.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:05:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Been surfing, body surfing, free diving and spear fishing for @35 years.  In the water almost everyday so I've seen a lot.  Sharks, seals, dolphins, rays, etc.   Feeding, playing or mating, things can get  wild.  Even a turtle can sneak up on you in low viz and freak you out.  I always wear neodymium magnets, previously I wore an ESDS band that sends out an electric shock.  Surfed around the world, very attached to my limbs and want to keep it that way.  Also used to surf really sharky places and less sharky places at night.  Ancient Hawaiians have a saying, the sharks come out when the wili wili trees bloom.  That's around October, and I think its when the sharks pup in protected bays.  

Anyway, surfing San Diego years ago, unusually warm waters in the fall.  Something hit my foot, HARD.  I immediately go into shock and reach down to see if my foot is still there.  Fortunately it was, but my bodies reaction was pretty interesting, flooding my body with endorphins in case I needed to make a very difficult paddle to shore.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
When I was a kid in the late 70s my brother (a dive instructor) took me to watch them prepare and sink an old wooden ship in Myerstown lake in Myerstown PA.

It was a really cool two weekends of watching them prepare it to be floated out and sunk.

Somehow the plywood panels put in place of the hole in the side that we're supposed to be released via explosive charges came off too early and the ship sank in the wrong spot.

It did wind up on the bottom though and you can still dive it today.

The water there is friggin cold!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dove a local quarry that was behind some old businesses.
The bottom was really rolling like hills and valleys from 18'~35' and visibility was about 12".

We were following the hills and valleys and rolled right up to a HUGE electrical box / panel that looked like it was set in place on the bottom.
LOTS of wires sticking out of the side and the kicker was it looked fairly new.

You never know what you are going to find.

My wife and I would sometimes test our gear in a quarry in Southern Illinois that had a 727 in the bottom of the quarry.
When I was a kid in the late 70s my brother (a dive instructor) took me to watch them prepare and sink an old wooden ship in Myerstown lake in Myerstown PA.

It was a really cool two weekends of watching them prepare it to be floated out and sunk.

Somehow the plywood panels put in place of the hole in the side that we're supposed to be released via explosive charges came off too early and the ship sank in the wrong spot.

It did wind up on the bottom though and you can still dive it today.

The water there is friggin cold!

The Millardsville Quarry right outside of Myerstown is stupid cold....I used to swim there as a kid.

It's actually a private residence now

I grew up in Myerstown

Neat thread, i haven't done scuba but I have gone snorkeling off of Naval Base Guam....it's pretty fucking cool. Looking down at darkness is fucking wild.

Btw fuck Stonefish, first time I saw one and learned what they can do I always made sure I had my reef shoes with me
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Not creepy, but funny as fuck.

Went diving Saturday with a friend at a quarry in OH. 40 degree water. 27 air temp. 60ft viz.

Friend is newly certified on a CCR. For the non-divers, that means NO bubbles. Friend heard gurgling and thought he had flooded his breathing loop so called the dive. I had a dry glove leak and that’s no fun in cold water. We were in the water for about 10 minutes.

Friend told me later he hadn’t flooded his loop. The gurgling he heard? MY bubbles.

I was the first open circuit diver he’d dived with since he got his CCR cert.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Went diving Saturday with a friend at a quarry in OH. 40 degree water. 27 air temp. 60ft viz.

Friend is newly certified on a CCR. For the non-divers, that means NO bubbles. Friend heard gurgling and thought he had flooded his breathing loop so called the dive. I had a dry glove leak and that’s no fun in cold water. We were in the water for about 10 minutes.

Friend told me later he hadn’t flooded his loop. The gurgling he heard? MY bubbles.

View Quote

Marie, secure that buttflap!

??

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

??

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

??

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#42]
One of my divers found the scooter of the diver that got killed by a GW iirc about a year later.  Commercial diving
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Always worried about that when spear fishing and having fish in the mesh bag on my hip.
View Quote

Lost a high school classmate to that practice.  Bad idea. He made it to the shore but bled out there.  Missing a lot of leg.
We used empty gallon jugs and about 25-30' of 1/4" nylon.  You can tow it around, and if you put a loop in your end you can wrap it around coral or rocks to hold it.  Stringer hangs off the jug.

Though I did feed a nice uhu to a blacktip, in conditions I should not have been out in.  I'd never seen the arched back wiggle before and it scared the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Lost a high school classmate to that practice.  Bad idea. He made it to the shore but bled out there.  Missing a lot of leg.
We used empty gallon jugs and about 25-30' of 1/4" nylon.  You can tow it around, and if you put a loop in your end you can wrap it around coral or rocks to hold it.  Stringer hangs off the jug.

Though I did feed a nice uhu to a blacktip, in conditions I should not have been out in.  I'd never seen the arched back wiggle before and it scared the shit out of me.
View Quote

I was always spear a nice one to take home and get the fuck out of the water type.

Used to night dive off my little zodi on the backside of Rabbit Island for uhu.  Kinda felt bad spearing the suckers while they were asleep under the ledge,.....almost.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Fuck the ocean. Fuck every bit of that shit. Literally everything about it scares the shit out of me, I want no part of it. I'd rather go to space
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Neat thread, i haven't done scuba but I have gone snorkeling off of Naval Base Guam....it's pretty fucking cool. Looking down at darkness is fucking wild.
View Quote

I'm guessing The Wall off of Gab-Gab at Big Navy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are several dive spots within Apra harbor including the Kormorant/Kisagawa, American tanker, and junkyard
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:08:46 AM EDT
[#48]
In the mid 1980s I was on my first drive for the open water certification in Florida.  Down about 90 feet or so and a huge shark came around, but luckily it just swam off until you couldn't see it an longer.  The next day was cave diving and I hated it because sand was getting in my wetsuit giving me jock itch.  After getting the certification I only made two more dives and gave it up.  Really didn't interest me much anymore. Seemed like a lot of work for little reward.  

Anyway, I've lived in south Louisiana all my life and spent a lot of time out on the salt water and the only large thing I've ever seen here was big ass gar fish.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Curious does anyone know any good fiction books on the subject? Either wicked deep sea stuff or seam monster crap or lovecraft style type?

Also Extinct by Charles Wilson.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Old Wives Beach on Big Navy
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top