Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
LOfuckingL

Fuck gm
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you have a Chinese engine... or something.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My 2005 Chevy 1500 Silverado 4.8 liter 5 speed uses no oil between changes.  It has just over 105,000 miles on it and I use Mobil 1 and change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles.

Not a GM but my wife's 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0 six cylinder and automatic transmission has 130,000 miles on it and uses no oil between oil changes, also use Mobil 1 with the oil change every 6,000 miles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't imagine it has a manual transmission.

Do you engine brake with the electronic/padddle shifters?

I have only seen major blow by like that on some engines due to engine braking(ie. downshifting into a corner to 6k rpm)

Not normal.  

Call the service manager, tell him he's full of shit and that you want a leak down and compression test done immediately.  Ask him to throw it in the air and let you look under it for leaks.  If it has no leaks, I'd be wanting a short block from GM rickety fucking split while my car still has time left on the warranty.

Also have someone ride behind you while you go WOT and see if they see blue smoke from the exhaust.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree on all points but it is pretty well an industry standard that maximum allowable is 1qt per 1K. If it was my car I'd be bullshit to but good luck fighting that one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrysler does too on the 3.8
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
They told me the same line of BS. I'll never own another GM product.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So at that rate at your 5 or 7 thousand mile oil change, there would be nothing to change.
View Quote

Umm, you're supposed to put oil back in when the level drops unless you're an idiot. 1 quart per 1000 miles is what a lot of manufacturers call normal. Well, not normal but within spec.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#9]

my '97 911 burns less than that, and they do actually burn some oil.

I would be concerned on a late model vehicle using that much oil.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy at works wife has an Equinox. First motor they replaced heads, gave him the run around ect. Then they replaced the motor after it was constantly having issues relating to the oil. The motor it is on now is burning oil too. Although I think it is right on the threshold after having some more work done to it. POS. His wife has put more miles on the dealer vehicle than her own in the last two years of owning it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
1 quart per 1k miles would be unacceptable to me, but if they have that much tolerance in their specifications, maybe you can complain up the chain.

I bought a '93 Taurus SHO used from a dealership and during the first month noticed oil consumption.  I got it documented and kept complaining about it, had to go to a regional manager to get something done.  They put some anti-tamper sticker on the dipstick and had me come in again, and again, and again to test it.

Eventually they did replace the top end and the problems went away.  The service manager said they had a fly in a guy to work on the Yamaha motor- not sure if that was true or not.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Normal for a gm maybe. No where close normal for a properly functioning engine. 1 quart per 5k miles would be the very upper end of "normal".
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They told me the same line of BS. I'll never own another GM product.
View Quote

So far in this thread, it's been stated that BMW and Honda also claim it's normal to burn a quart every 1000 miles. It ain't just a GM thing.

FWIW, my Saturn Ion burns a quart between oil changes (I do mine at 4500 mile intervals.) My '08 Duramax doesn't burn any oil, and neither does my wife's '12 Equinox.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Haha, why even post this question? Burning oil is never normal, my god.

I have a Honda with over 200k and it doesn't burn a drop...

Wait, found your issue...you bought an American car.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#15]
my gf's got her chevy malibu with 20,000 miles on it....and it uses about 2 quarts between oil changes... chevy swears its normal. they are fucking liars, or just used t building shitty cars that leak te hell out of oil. my chevy colorado, and suburban with 250,000 miles does not use any oil at fucking all between oil changes, neither did my dodge dakota..
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#16]
This is one of those times you take your issue straight to GM corporate and forget the dealer until they call you back apologizing and saying they have a new engine on the way for you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Getting common as manufacturers are all going to rings with less tension and thus, less friction. Combine that with lighter oils [0w20 for example] and you will be seeing oil consumptions rise.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
What are you worried about?

Barack Hussein Obama has promised to stand behind every vehicle GM manufactures.

If you like your GM product you can keep your GM product.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wonder if the EPA has caught wind of these "standards" yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 quart per thousand is becoming the new standard in the industry it seems.    Honda says the same thing, as a technition I think it's the new 0w20 oils with Honda.

I wonder if the EPA has caught wind of these "standards" yet.

Oooohhhhh..............I bet a check through the EPA regs would reveal something about excessive particulates not being allowed.

My MB runs Mobil 1 0w40......service at 10k intervals, 155k miles, doesn't use a drop.  Engines that run like they are supposed to do not use enough oil between changes to notice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Doubtfull, could be damaged valve stem seals, rings that haven't seated in, ring gaps lined up, a porous spot in the castings allowing oil seepage into a port...a seal/gasket leak .. doesn't mean the motor needs replaced...but it could make a fitted or partial block needed..(I used to fix the problem childs for a GM dealer...)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine replacement.

Doubtfull, could be damaged valve stem seals, rings that haven't seated in, ring gaps lined up, a porous spot in the castings allowing oil seepage into a port...a seal/gasket leak .. doesn't mean the motor needs replaced...but it could make a fitted or partial block needed..(I used to fix the problem childs for a GM dealer...)

The majority of GM's oil burning issues (for about 15 years now) are a result of piston slap. They don't like to admit that (because it would put them back into bankruptcy if they had to fix all of them), but it's the truth. You can't have audible metal smacking against metal and not have accelerated wear on the piston skirt and cylinder wall. The short skirt designs make engines more susceptible to the problem, but it's sloppy production that is the real issue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What are you worried about?

Barack Hussein Obama has promised to stand behind every vehicle GM manufactures.

If you like your GM product you can keep your GM product.
View Quote

That must have been after Bush Jr gave them a bailout toward the end of his term, right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The majority of GM's oil burning issues (for about 15 years now) are a result of piston slap. They don't like to admit that (because it would put them back into bankruptcy if they had to fix all of them), but it's the truth. You can't have audible metal smacking against metal and not have accelerated wear on the piston skirt and cylinder wall. The short skirt designs make engines more susceptible to the problem, but it's sloppy production that is the real issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine replacement.

I had a mid 90s Silverado with the 5.7L and it had a case of piston slap.  On cold startup, it would knock for about 10-20 seconds until the pistons started to get hot and expanded.  The truck had over 150k hard use miles on it, and even with the loose pistons it only used about 1/2 qt. of oil every oil change.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#23]
One more post - my 1986 IROC, 305 TPI, has 186,000 miles on it and leaks a quart between the 3,000 mile oil/filter changes.  I know it leaks it.  I see it on the garage floor.  It also puffs a little smoke sometimes on start up (Bowtie Salute they use to call it).  But hell, I ran the shit out of that car and it has 186,000 miles on it.

If I had a new car that "lost" oil I'd be pissed.  The only thing I drive that leaks/uses oil between changes is that IROC.  The Jeep, Fusion, Genesis Coupe and Silverado don't leak or use any between oil/filter changes.

Something's not right, no matter what the dealer says.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BMW says the same thing
View Quote

Pretty much everybody does.

At least the fresh engine in the GTI isn't an oil burner, lose about a half quart between 5k oil changes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
GM says this is "normal".  So does most everyone else.

Normal does not equal acceptable......but it has been this way since at least the 90's.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Install an oil separator/catch can between the intake manifold and the PCV. Pour it back in when it fills up. See if it still loses a quart/1k miles.
View Quote

Derp of the year post!

Never Never Pour the crap that a catch can collects back into a engine!
Its full of contaminants and moisture!

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#27]
They also said excessive carbon buildup in the throttle body which was not under warranty and cost me $145 to fix. Any relation between the two?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have a 2011 Equinox with another year or 18,000 miles on full power train warranty that burns oil like a madman. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles to which the Service Manager called and said that GM says is normal. Supposedly this vehicle is supposed to be filled with DEXOS oil so it costs me about $11/quart which at this pace is once a month.

This seems absurd to me. Anyone verify what he said? What's my next step from here?

View Quote

He's full of shit. Have a compression test and a leak-down test done by an independent mechanic. Catch an oil sample and have it analyzed for base metals and blow-by residues. If they aren't within limits, (which I doubt they will be at only 18,000 miles), have your attorney contact them to discuss the test results.

IMHO, they owe you a rebuild on your engine and an extension on your powertrain warranty.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They also said excessive carbon buildup in the throttle body which was not under warranty and cost me $145 to fix. Any relation between the two?
View Quote

Absolfuckinglutly!

A shit designed PCV system and excessive blow by is the reason these engines consume oil.
On the 08+ LS based engines GM in its wisdom designed the PCV port direclty over a rocker tip. This literally PUMPED oil directly into the PCV system.
Their fix was to redesign the baffle plate and move the hole over a inch.
Early LS based GM engines the gas velocity and volume was so high in the PCV system it would literally suck oil out of the valve cover.
Fucking morons!

At 145$ for a TB clean, tell them to shove brocken glass up their ass!
A 7$ bottle of cleaner will solve the issue in 10 minutes!

This a WELL know problem with performance guys. People spend enourmous energy redeisnging the PCV sytem on GM engines to stop oil consumption.

These so called manufactures are so full of shit its ridiculous!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like your Rvk cylinderbore finish might be jacked.

Just sayin'

I don't know nuthin' 'bout no honin'.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I had a mid 90s Silverado with the 5.7L and it had a case of piston slap.  On cold startup, it would knock for about 10-20 seconds until the pistons started to get hot and expanded.  The truck had over 150k hard use miles on it, and even with the loose pistons it only used about 1/2 qt. of oil every oil change.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Engine replacement.

The 5.7L had longer piston skirts. Even if you got a loose one, it's not going to rock in the bore like any of  GM's newer designs will, and it's not going to have the same accelerated wear problems. And they don't usually burn a ton of oil when it's only audible for a few seconds at startup. It's when it progresses to the point of always being audible that it's usually going to start burning major amounts of oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Dodge Ram is the same I was told.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a 2011 Equinox with another year or 18,000 miles on full power train warranty that burns oil like a madman. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles to which the Service Manager called and said that GM says is normal. Supposedly this vehicle is supposed to be filled with DEXOS oil so it costs me about $11/quart which at this pace is once a month.

This seems absurd to me. Anyone verify what he said? What's my next step from here?
View Quote

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L engine.  It  burned 1 quart every 1000 miles when I bought it new.  I called GM about it and was told that was normal.  I called BS and found out there were 2TSB's for high oil burn.  It has been a steady 1 quart every 3000 miles since the tsb's  were done.  I have 356000 miles on that engine.  Just had the oil pump replaced two months ago and the shop said everything looked really good considering the miles on the engine.  Having said that I won't buy another GM vehicle because of the lies and evasions told to me by the GM tech reps.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Absolfuckinglutly!

A shit designed PCV system and excessive blow by is the reason these engines consume oil.
On the 08+ LS based engines GM in its wisdom designed the PCV port direclty over a rocker tip. This literally PUMPED oil directly into the PCV system.
Early LS based GM engines the gas velocity and volume was so high in the PCV system it would literally suck oil out of the valve cover.
Fucking morons!

This a WELL know problem with performance guys. People spend enourmous energy redeisnging the PCV sytem on GM engines to stop oil consumption.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolfuckinglutly!

Fucking morons!

It's one of the potential reasons for burning oil, not "the" reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Did you go with the 2-cycle option on the engine?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have a 2001 GMC Yukon XL 5.3L engine.  It  burned 1 quart every 1000 miles when I bought it new.  I called GM about it and was told that was normal.  I called BS and found out there were 2TSB's for high oil burn.  It has been a steady 1 quart every 3000 miles since the tsb's  were done.  I have 356000 miles on that engine.  Just had the oil pump replaced two months ago and the shop said everything looked really good considering the miles on the engine.  Having said that I won't buy another GM vehicle because of the lies and evasions told to me by the GM tech reps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And my experience with four 2500HD 4WDs has been flawless.  Go figure.  Luck of the Irish.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
1997 Cavalier that has 170K uses NO oil. Mobil 1, milking it for all its worth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
1qt per 1000/miles???  Bullshit thats normal.  I've never lost 1qt between oil changes which is 3-5kmiles unless the engine was toast.
View Quote

Audi A5 Lease i had burned 1 qt per 1K miles, Audi told me the same thing, at least they said to bring it in whenever it was low & they would top it off for free!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]
It isnt a GM specific issue.  Toyota's acceptable oil burn is 1qt per 1200miles.

This is because the newer engines are using a lower tensile oil ring on the piston.  These rings help with MPG but dont seal as well.  Also, newer cars are using lighter weight oils as well and leaving a film on the piston walls which is burnt up in the power stroke.  Its unfortunately a fact of life now.  Some will burn a bit more than others depending on driving style.

As long as you aren't seeing plug fowling there really isnt anything you can do about it.  Also with these new PVC systems, you are seeing a lot of atomized oil getting pushed back into the intake manifold and hopefully burned off.  Its really bad on Hemi's. There are reports of qrts of oil laying on the bottom of the intake manifold on some SRT motors but since the Hemi and Toyota 5.7 hold 7-7.5 qts, a lot of people dont notice.  This is another reason why a lot of people are using catch cans.

I think Porshe is 1 qt per 2k miles, but they are using 0w40 syn which is really thin.  

Honda, Nissan and GM is 1qt per 2K

So basically the newer engines are burning more oil because they dont seal as well trying to reduce friction and are using much lighter oil weights than engines in the 90's and below.  Also a lot of oil is floating around in the PVC system if your vehicle is equipped with one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#42]
For GM yeah.

My Automotive engineering professor at York tech, a huge Chevy fan, would tell you a Chevy isn't running right  unless it's losing a little oil.

Mostly, it was a joke, but there was some truth in it.

I have a 95 Mustang right now, 5.0l convertible with 170K miles on it. I'm getting ready to change the oil in it. I'm behind, even on the 5000 miles schedule I use with Mobile 1 15w/50. I'm on about 6500 right now.

I checked the oil the other day as I was going to change it, then it came up a bad storm. I'm not even a half a cup, not a quart, a half a cup low.

Anytime something uses that much oil new I'd be talking about it with somebody. There's going to be losses over time in oil as it gets burned, turned to carbon etc, more with conventional oils, but a quart per 1000 miles is crazy. I could see a quart per 5000 miles as being sort of normal for some engines but not per 1000, that sounds like you have a problem, or it's piss poor engineering.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It isnt a GM specific issue.  Toyota's acceptable oil burn is 1qt per 1200miles.

This is because the newer engines are using a lower tensile oil ring on the piston.  These rings help with MPG but dont seal as well.  Also, newer cars are using lighter weight oils as well and leaving a film on the piston walls which is burnt up in the power stroke.  Its unfortunately a fact of life now.  Some will burn a bit more than others depending on driving style.

As long as you aren't seeing plug fowling there really isnt anything you can do about it.  Also with these new PVC systems, you are seeing a lot of atomized oil getting pushed back into the intake manifold and hopefully burned off.  Its really bad on Hemi's. There are reports of qrts of oil laying on the bottom of the intake manifold on some SRT motors but since the Hemi and Toyota 5.7 hold 7-7.5 qts, a lot of people dont notice.  This is another reason why a lot of people are using catch cans.

I think Porshe is 1 qt per 2k miles, but they are using 0w40 syn which is really thin.  

Honda, Nissan and GM is 1qt per 2K

So basically the newer engines are burning more oil because they dont seal as well trying to reduce friction and are using much lighter oil weights than engines in the 90's and below.  Also a lot of oil is floating around in the PVC system if your vehicle is equipped with one.

<a href="http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/archtaan/media/04_zpswwxgid9o.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/archtaan/04_zpswwxgid9o.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's what a catch can is for, correct?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes that carbon is blowby gas/exhaust/oil vapor from your crankcase breather getting sucked into your intake. All engines make a little blowby during the power stroke. Excessive blowby is caused by bad compression rings or loose pistons.

Alternatively when you let off the gas (close the throttle plate) it creates vacuum in the cylinder that sucks oil up past your (bad) oil rings into the combustion chamber and burns it.

GM used to take the time to make sure high spec size pistons got matched with a high spec cylinders, low spec size pistons got matched with low spec size cylinders. Now they just throw them in willy nilly and hope for the best. When you lose the GM lottery and get a small piston in a large bore you get piston slap and oil consumption.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Fair enough. Would you mind showing me in the owner's manual the interval for this service Mr. Service Writer? I'll wait. "
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn, that's a lot of oil!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Is dexos some kind of ester oil?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Normal for a gm maybe. No where close normal for a properly functioning engine. 1 quart per 5k miles would be the very upper end of "normal".
View Quote

BMW Motorsport engines have a spec of 1 quart for every 750 miles. Is it a lot? Yes. But I still would say they are properly functioning engines and I haven't seen any major damage due to oil consumption. However with BMW's you get free oil changes and top off's while you're under warranty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He's full of shit. Have a compression test and a leak-down test done by an independent mechanic. Catch an oil sample and have it analyzed for base metals and blow-by residues. If they aren't within limits, (which I doubt they will be at only 18,000 miles), have your attorney contact them to discuss the test results.

IMHO, they owe you a rebuild on your engine and an extension on your powertrain warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At 18,000 miles it could be it hasn't seated the rings yet but I doubt it with modern machining and rings they are normally seated by the time its got a few miles on it... I would think its more likely valve guides/seal issues  to burn a qt every 1000 miles..rings should be showing blue smoke on acceleration out the exhaust with that kind of usage....

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Not normal, but its probably within the limits set by the manufacturer.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top