User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Engineers got bigger fish to fry before making something easy for service. 

Sucks, but that's just how it is. 
View Quote

Not true, at least not in my job.  Serviceability reviews are part of the design process.  Granted sometimes there just isn't a good compromise, or to make one pat more serviceable you make the rest of the product even worse.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine sells Viking Yachts.  $1.5mill to about 12mill.  Over the years they were powered by Cat, MTU and MAN.  700hp to 2400hp each motor.

They are almost exclusively MTU now.   MTU is crazy expensive to maintain and fix.  Like 10k per motor at 1000 hours. 25k per motor at 2500 hours minimum plus all the other maintenance along the way.  But they are smooth, smokeless, have tons of Torque and reliable.  Pretty too!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
8.5/10
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not true, at least not in my job.  Serviceability reviews are part of the design process.  Granted sometimes there just isn't a good compromise, or to make one pat more serviceable you make the rest of the product even worse.
View Quote

Do you guys sell replacement dipstick tubes in all the colors of the rainbow or just black? 
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you guys sell replacement dipstick tubes in all the colors of the rainbow or just black? 
View Quote

Well played.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cat is just another company that essentially counterfeits own products in china, then sells in US like it's still a USA product. Nothing but a cheap-assed made in china POS with a lable.

Big yellow, big sucks. Spend 24hrs around peoria, il to see how great they are. Empty factories, 10's of thousands fired, nothing but talk from the suits in charge but no substance. Unless it's even more layoffs and pay raises for them.

Edit - doubtful there are any cat engineers here in the States, all they have a phony engineers in india / china that can't build a simple stairstep without putting lives at risk.
View Quote

The Mossville facility is loaded with engineers for the engines, don't think they are outsourcing the actual engineering since they have a slew at that facility.

All bashing aside, they do have a lot of R&D they do at Mossville. Cutting costs and trying to bring to market first is their undoing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
 'Tabasco'

You are one person I do NOT want to piss off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
As one of the largest dealers of track loaders, we worked with Cat on their new design and made suggestions that were incorporated into the new model. That new model was the D series and when we had those as field follow units, we still had some issues that were resolved before going into production.

We work with and get help from Cat engineers all the time. Some are better to work with than others. It all depends on the group.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I live just a few miles from the proving grounds for them, winter I can see across the valley and watch them go in circles, dig a hole, fill a hole. They do this 24x7x364 a year.

I used to work at Big Yellow, not as an engineer, so sorry, not my fault

But yeah they are building more overseas, using more entry level people, and seems when I was there it was meeting after meeting, never did any work (I was in marketing analyzing web traffic).

I recall hearing lots of people bitching about the quality dropping, especially on Fakebook, funny, they would delete or send them a hat...

I left a week before they started the major layouts and firings, I know a few folks still there, seems everyone is on pins and needles.
View Quote

What proving ground? North of Washington? Way back when, my dad was in engineering.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top