BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Must be philosophical, because I don't consider seismic design, wind design, etc., to be "extravagances".
View Quote

It's like you read my mind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.  

Not my fault you all don't know what's going on.

Basically, all the help OP got here was a bunch of people piping in to say they're an engineer, followed by a fancy explanation to cover the fact that they haven't a clue how to even approach OP's problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and the advice was flat wrong to the point of being potentially deadly

Wasn't that the thread where somebody tried to size a beam based on deflection only?
Because shear, moment, bending stress, etc was for suckers?
Got all pissy when called on it, then admitted they were really wastewater eng?
I remember that thread...  

ETA: asked and answered, doh!

My answer wasn't wrong.  

Basically, all the help OP got here was a bunch of people piping in to say they're an engineer, followed by a fancy explanation to cover the fact that they haven't a clue how to even approach OP's problem.

Your answer was completely and totally wrong in every possible way

the design formula you presented addressed serviceability, not load capacity

you know virtually nothing about structural engineering at all

and you're too dumb to know it

most civils who don't do structural engineering are at least smart enough to not display the fact that they don't know what they're talking about

but not you

If I can figure out who you are, I'm going to report you to your state board

because you are a danger to the public

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Best to weed out the crap advice early on things like this. Expansive soils (if that's what the OP has), can cause very costly problems down the road.
View Quote

getting back on topic

I'd say about 75% of the structural failures I've seen in my life are related to foundation settlement

you need to get the thing designed properly
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

the design formula you presented was related serviceability, not load capacity

most civils who don't do structural engineering are at least smart enough to not display the fact that they don't know what they're talking about

but not you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't that the thread where somebody tried to size a beam based on deflection only?

My answer wasn't wrong.  

but not you

Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences?   You sound as dramatic as an 8th grader.  It's hard to believe you are actually mature enough to handle multi-million dollar projects.

And you have never impressed me once on this site with your "engineering skills."  Not once dude.  It's actually laughable most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences?

Quoted:
...dude.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences? You sound as dramatic as an 8th grader. It's hard to believe you are actually mature enough to handle multi-million dollar projects.

And you have never impressed me once on this site with your "engineering skills." Not once dude. It's actually laughable most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.

but not you

Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences? You sound as dramatic as an 8th grader. It's hard to believe you are actually mature enough to handle multi-million dollar projects.

And you have never impressed me once on this site with your "engineering skills." Not once dude. It's actually laughable most of the time.

Please. Just stop. Think of the children.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please. Just stop. Think of the children.
View Quote

He drew first blood.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

but not you

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.  

but not you

Just a word of caution. I was warned by staff in the last thread for saying a similar thing (instead of saying "I will" I said "I sorta wish").  Hate to see anybody else getting in trouble over this troll's antics.

Of course since then I've seen threads where staff says it's okay to say "i believe I'd be tempted to kill your kid," so I honestly have no idea what is kosher and what isn't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well dang this thread probably won't even make it to the 5 pages the last one with VBC in it went too. I am dissapoint.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a word of caution. I was warned by staff in the last thread for saying a similar thing (instead of saying "I will" I said "I sorta wish").  Hate to see anybody else getting in trouble over this troll's antics.

Of course since then I've seen threads where staff says it's okay to say "i believe I'd be tempted to kill your kid," so I honestly have no idea what is kosher and what isn't.
View Quote

cyborg is a funny guy.  I can see it now when he calls the state regulatory board all foaming at the mouth, saying some guy is giving engineering advice that he doesn't agree with on an internet gun forum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

who the fuck would pretend to be a structural engineer on the internet?  wouldn't that be kind of weird?

View Quote

George Costanza
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.  

Oh Jesus.  I remember that thread, and I stayed out of it because of all that.

Any good engineer isn't going to pretend that they can give you a good answer for an open ended question like the one presented in the linked thread or this one.  There are simply too many variables.  SO, the options are:  1) Ignore the thread and 2) Give the person asking the questions the resources to investigate the problem and solve it themselves.  

If you're willing to put your professional reputation (remember, this is a reputation whose abuse can land you in jail as an engineer) on the line by answering a random question on the internet for which you don't possess all of the variables, you are an idiot.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

cyborg is a funny guy.  I can see it now when he calls the state regulatory board all foaming at the mouth, saying some guy is giving engineering advice that he doesn't agree with on an internet gun forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

something you should have read

And yes, your exact behaviour is covered in there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
In my professional opinion, giving engineering advice as an anoymous poster on the internet in no way jeopardizes your licensing.  It is up to the person receiving the advice to practice what is called "DUE DILIGENCE" which means they can should approach any advice from anybody they cannot personally validate, with caution.

Secondly, I think my answers are correct.  Others don't agree and they express their disagreement.  The person receiving the advice should weigh all the responses and decide to accept the answer they feel is correct.

At any rate, it would be a good question to pose to the folks at NSPE to answer in the ethics column of PE Magazine.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you use the same care toward grammar on your professional correspondences?   You sound as dramatic as an 8th grader.  It's hard to believe you are actually mature enough to handle multi-million dollar projects.

And you have never impressed me once on this site with your "engineering skills."  Not once dude.  It's actually laughable most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My answer wasn't wrong.  

but not you

don't be so defensive

you fucked up royally and that's that

learn from it and move on with your life

the only reason I keep dogging you is because you're stubborn about it

I have a moral obligation to the public to not let them get crushed

we are involved in a very serious profession

this is nothing to play around with

you don't pull your junior year steel textbook off the shelf and start typing half-understood formulas onto the internet

most civil engineers respect the structural guys and they take pains to not reveal how clueless they are about structural engineering

maybe you should take a page from that book
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horse shit.  Posting the list of general ethics from NSPE doesn't prove I didn't anything wrong.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My state organization, LAPELS, has a periodical in which they publicly shame people and businesses who have misrepresented themselves in an engineering capacity.  The engineering profession operates under a code of ethics enforceable by law for a reason.  People can get hurt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In my professional opinion, giving engineering advice as an anoymous poster on the internet in no way jeopardizes your licensing.  It is up to the person receiving the advice to practice what is called "DUE DILIGENCE" which means they can should approach any advice from anybody they cannot personally validate, with caution.

Secondly, I think my answers are correct.  Others don't agree and they express their disagreement.  The person receiving the advice should weigh all the responses and decide to accept the answer they feel is correct.

At any rate, it would be a good question to pose to the folks at NSPE to answer in the ethics column of PE Magazine.

View Quote

Just stop.  Really.

Before you get someone killed.

You make my head hurt reading your incoherent and ignorant ramblings.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a "professional," that is reckless, particularly when representing yourself as an authority on a subject (i.e. I'm an engineer, and the answer is X).
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just stop.  Really.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my professional opinion, giving engineering advice as an anonymous poster on the internet in no way jeopardizes your licensing.  It is up to the person receiving the advice to practice what is called "DUE DILIGENCE" which means they can should approach any advice from anybody they cannot personally validate, with caution.

Just stop.  Really.

It's only incoherent if you don't understand what I'm saying.  Your engineering prowess never really impressed me either.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As a "professional," that is reckless, particularly when representing yourself as an authority on a subject (i.e. I'm an engineer, and the answer is X).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bottom line is that I gave a safe answer.   Has anybody shown that my answer would create an unsafe situation?  No.  Because it won't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Proverbs 26:4 up in this bitch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

you go right ahead and do that, be sure to give them a link to the thread where you gave advice based on a formula you admitted was pulled from a textbook for convenience and not because it actually answered the question.

All of your questionable behaviour is spelled out for you in a code you are supposed to be familiar with and abide by. I would urge you to read it, keep in mind that I did not select this reference because it happened to be on a shelf near me and I mistakenly thought it was relevent.

Also, coming from one so concerned with the writings of others, the part in red is downright laughable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's only incoherent if you don't understand what I'm saying.

It's incoherent because you don't understand what you're saying.

Your engineering prowess never really impressed me either.

That would only be relevant if you had paid me.

View Quote

Wow, you are very dangerous.  To yourself, and those around you.

I'm done with this ignorant troll.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's only incoherent if you don't understand what I'm saying.  Your engineering prowess never really impressed me either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my professional opinion, giving engineering advice as an anonymous poster on the internet in no way jeopardizes your licensing.  It is up to the person receiving the advice to practice what is called "DUE DILIGENCE" which means they can should approach any advice from anybody they cannot personally validate, with caution.

Just stop.  Really.

This is also covered in the code of ethics I posted for you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

what you wrote in that old thread was 100% completely wrong

this isn't some court case about racism where the answer depends on which lawyer can bullshit the jury the most

the proper method to design a simple span is known to all (except you)

the topic was "how to design a simple span rolled steel beam properly"

anyone who knows anything at all about structural engineering would know that the answer that you supplied was incorrect

you supplied the guy with a formula for beam deflection

and you even fucked that up, you explained it wrong, you didn't even know what the terms in the equation stand for.  and you made up an arbitrary deflection limit.

the perfect storm of not knowing jack shit

whether or not you can get in legal trouble, you presented yourself as an engineer and instructed the guy incorrectly

what the fuck is wrong with you?

can't you just go back to your salmon and Johnson and read the whole chapter and at least understand how to design a simple span with a point load?

before you play the expert

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
What the heck happened to my thread?

Anyway, found an engineering firm that does "geotechnical testing", and the guy knows my area pretty well.  He said most likely I won't be able to do a footing and short pier.  Rather the piers will have to go deep enough the hit some limestone or shale, usually in the 18-25 foot range.  They come out and bore holes to find it.  Then give  report.  Cost around $2500.

Next, I'll have to get a structural engineer to help work up the number of piers, and the beam arrangement. Not sure what that cost?

When it's built, they bore the holes to the required depth, lower some reinforcing steel and fill them with concrete, and it's ready to build the house.

Everybody is telling me I should do a post-tensions waffle slab, but I don't want that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

you go right ahead and do that, be sure to give them a link to the thread where you gave advice based on a formula you admitted was pulled from a textbook for convenience and not because it actually answered the question.

All of your questionable behaviour is spelled out for you in a code you are supposed to be familiar with and abide by. I would urge you to read it, keep in mind that I did not select this reference because it happened to be on a shelf near me and I mistakenly thought it was relevent.

Also, coming from one so concerned with the writings of others, the part in red is downright laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not randomly pick an equation out of convenience.  I applied that specific equation because it could model the problem that was posed.

I stand behind me answer as a safe answer.  I'm sorry that you guys can't see it that way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Anyway, found an engineering firm that does "geotechnical testing", and the guy knows my area pretty well.  He said most likely I won't be able to do a footing and short pier.  Rather the piers will have to go deep enough the hit some limestone or shale, usually in the 18-25 foot range.  They come out and bore holes to find it.  Then give  report.  Cost around $2500.

Next, I'll have to get a structural engineer to help work up the number of piers, and the beam arrangement. Not sure what that cost?

When it's built, they bore the holes to the required depth, lower some reinforcing steel and fill them with concrete, and it's ready to build the house.

Everybody is telling me I should do a post-tensions waffle slab, but I don't want that.
View Quote

glad you were able to get some advice from somebody with local knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

this isn't some court case about racism where the answer depends on which lawyer can bullshit the jury the most

anyone who knows anything at all about structural engineering would know that the answer that you supplied was incorrect

and you even fucked that up, you explained it wrong, you didn't even know what the terms in the equation stand for.  and you made up an arbitrary deflection limit.

whether or not you can get in legal trouble, you presented yourself as an engineer and instructed the guy incorrectly

can't you just go back to your salmon and Johnson and read the whole chapter and at least understand how to design a simple span with a point load?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More blah blah blah from you.  You couldn't even begin to answer the question, so you hide behind the "oh no I can't be giving engineering advice over the internet!"   What a great cop-out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did not randomly pick an equation out of convenience.  I applied that specific equation because it could model the problem that was posed.

I stand behind me answer as a safe answer.  I'm sorry that you guys can't see it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The very first sentence in this pdf tells you why you're wrong. That equation tells you that the beam is serviceable, not that it is safe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The same thing that happens every time someone asks an architect/engineer question.

LOL.

ETA: you're doing the right thing.  Ignore everyone here (including me) and stick with your local professionals.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

That may actually be some good advice; PT can be great for active soils.

There are some highly qualified engineers in the DFW area specializing in PT foundations; a few phone calls would be in order.

Even if you had to strip and fill some of the near-surface active soils, it could be a cost-effective alternative to a drilled shaft foundation.

Get a PE who speaks PT.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, I just got off the phone with the recommended structural guy.  He'd design the piers and beams so the floor can them be laid.  He estimated the cost to be $1200-1500, so not that bad.  Interestingly, he recently built himself a pier & beam lake house, so he mentioned a  good contractor to bore and pour the concrete parts.  Sot of coming together.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The bottom line is that I gave a safe answer.   Has anybody shown that my answer would create an unsafe situation?  No.  Because it won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is unbelievable how ignorant of engineering you are

OK, i'll explain this to you one last motherfucking time

suppose you have two W36x300 beams

one is made from 36KSI steel and braced at 25 feet,

the other is made from 50 KSI steel and braced at 12 feet

the 50KSI beam would have a load capacity several times higher than the 36KSI beam

AND YET THEY'D HAVE THE EXACT SAME DEFLECTION UNDER THE SAME LOAD

since you can easily design a beam which is strong enough to carry a load, but not meet whatever historical deflection limit applies,

THE OPPOSITE IS ALSO TRUE

what about shear capacity?

how does your moronic approach check shear?

also, the formula you supplied simply calculates deflection due to flexure

and then you made up the deflection criteria  

what do you think the entire design code was written for if it can be replaced by you calculating flexure deflection and arbitrarily making up a maximum value?

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

More blah blah blah from you.  You couldn't even begin to answer the question, so you hide behind the "oh no I can't be giving engineering advice over the internet!"   What a great cop-out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

umm...

because I don't do engineering over the internet?  something like that?

OK,

why don't you PM me your name and license number and we can sort this out properly?

we'll send the thread off to your state board and you can impress everyone with how you re-invented structural engineering

and how you're 'helping" people on the net

I'm sure they'll be real amazed

I know I am
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck purses, we swinging protractors up in this bitch!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#39]
My slide rule has extended.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#41]
How much money do you have???
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I am a TX PE.  My wife is an engineering graduate that never took the PE exam.  Neither of us is a civil/structural engineer.  

We are paying a civil engineer for the design and inspection of a rather simple residential addition in order to get a windstorm certificate.  It will make both selling and insuring our home in the future much easier since we live on the coast.   After hurricane Ike we both have serious respect for the power of hurricane force winds.

A competent engineer stays inside his area of expertise, and windstorm design isn't mine.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#43]
ENGINEERING FIGHT!!!!!!

Two engineers enter, one engineer leaves!

ETA: Twist in some helical piers down to 20-20', pour some 3'x3'x12" pier caps, space them 10-15' apart and call it good.  Not an engineer, just a project manager that has to build what engineers design.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Cue the poorly built house pics. Or was it a shed?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I am a lowly electronics technician wrapping up a  BS Electrical Engineering and cramming for the fundamentals of engineering exam.

Dirt is serious shit, especially when you are putting 100's of thousands of dollars and 100's of thousands of pounds on top of it. Get the proper soil studies and engineering work done by a professional. You are going to live in a home for a long time, the up front engineering cost will be nothing averaged out across the life of the home and nothing in compare to the cost of a repair after the fact and the damage it will do to the resale value of your home.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Ironically I was taking a break from my structural analysis homework to read arfcom and I wandered into this.  Random question, is StaadPro and RAM the typical software used in most firms?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ironically I was taking a break from my structural analysis homework to read arfcom and I wandered into this.  Random question, is StaadPro and RAM the typical software used in most firms?
View Quote

Its what we used when I was in a large design firm.

Im 5 years removed from being in a largely design based organization, so things may have changed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

the 50KSI beam would have a load capacity several times higher than the 36KSI beam

since you can easily design a beam which is strong enough to carry a load, but not meet whatever historical deflection limit applies,

what do you think the entire design code was written for if it can be replaced by you calculating flexure deflection and arbitrarily making up a maximum value?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admit it.  You're reading from an engineering is for dummies manual aren't you?    Your attempt at engineering analyses is laughable.  

And if you think I'm sending my personal info to a raving lunatic bent on trying to ruin somebody's reputation you are indeed two cans shy of a sixer.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top