Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Knew a guy that used to bid on storage lockers and he relayed this story that I'm sure happens all the time.

Bid on a storage unit because right in front you could see a dirt bike.  Lots of boxes and tarps so he was hoping there was some more in there.  Turns out the unit was loaded to the gills with old tires and nothing else.  He lost is ass on that one as he ended up having to pay to dispose them.  Sounds like a good scam.  Forfeited deposit on that locker was probably cheaper than disposal fees.  The POS dirt bike was just bait.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Try getting rid of a refrigerator in the NYC area.
You have to pay a certified A/C guy to drain the freon and affix a sticker, then you ca pay someone to pick up the refrigerator.
Or, you can do what everyone else does and just dump it on the side of the road.
Wonder why there are so many appliances all over the roadside.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Best Buy will recycle for free, or a modest charge and give you a gift card in the same amount
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a terrible person, because I would just have hid it in the trash can.  Property tax pays for trash service and they are the huge cans that guy never touches.  A little bit of this, a little bit of that, toxic substance hidden in trash and away it goes.
View Quote

We have a local guy that does our garbage. He still loads it by hand, so he would catch it. I had this electric generator thing that was about the size of a large watermelon. You plugged it in and charged it, then it held he charge for a while and you could run small electronics on it. It had a built in air compressor also that was only good for filling up beach balls. Also had a build in flashlight. Anyway, I tossed it out when it stopped holding a charge. I tried to hide it in the can, but or garbage guy took it out and left it on the curb. So trying to hide large items in the can is not an option.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Put in box, gift wrap park in mall and leave in bed of truck. Gone!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]

This is happening to our little town right now.  The EPA has closed our landfill.    It was free for people to use before.   Now it will accept stuff, but at a price, and, not everything, as it all has to be trucked to another dump 35miles away.    

Normally, you would think, ah, yes, this will be good for the environment, but what is now happening, is people who don't want to pay to have their trash accepted, just drive out in the hundreds of thousands of acres of desert surrounding our area, and dump it.

Great job EPA.   Now, instead of consolidating it all, it's getting dumped all over.   I love the desert area in our basin and hate to see shit dumped all over, but you had to be a fucking blind liberal idiot to not see it coming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
This is why god invented neighbor's trash cans
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Best Buy will recycle for free, or a modest charge and give you a gift card in the same amount
View Quote

There are metal scrappers on Craigslist who will pick it up and scrap it themselves.

I let them haul off a dead washer for me.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't wonder why mattresses get dumped by the side of the road.

I am well aware that there are assholes out there.
View Quote

Aint that the truth!

Try owning your own business and having a dumpster.  I ended up putting a lock on it and just taking it off on trash pickup day, so people just put their trash next to it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
yep-- we have to PAY for them to sell our cans/paper...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wow, nice landfill then. The last landfill I went to was by our old home in Minnesota (suburbs outside Minneapolis). It was owned/operated by the company Waste Management. I had an F250 pick-up bed full of cut branches and twigs from our yard. They wanted $85 for the drop off. Their posted rates were not based on what you were bringing in but by the size of your vehicle ($50 for small vehicle, $85 for a large or commercial vehicle).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never heard of such a thing.  Here we just take the used appliance to the dump and they charge nothing.

Wow, nice landfill then. The last landfill I went to was by our old home in Minnesota (suburbs outside Minneapolis). It was owned/operated by the company Waste Management. I had an F250 pick-up bed full of cut branches and twigs from our yard. They wanted $85 for the drop off. Their posted rates were not based on what you were bringing in but by the size of your vehicle ($50 for small vehicle, $85 for a large or commercial vehicle).

Dumping pickup and trailer size loads are free at our landfill for county residents.  If you say that you are commercial you have to pay.  We also have dumpster sites located around since we don't have trash pickup at homes in the county.  Just drive the trash to the dumpsite/green boxes once a week (3 miles) and throw in whatever.  They have a sign that says no tires but there is nobody who watches the place and people pay no attention to the sign.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sounds like a job for tannerite
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PA just passed a law this January that says that you're not allowed to put electronic devices (computers, TVs, monitors, etc) in the trash.

Sounds like a job for tannerite

Yep.  Send it to God.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#13]
My trash service will pick up anything I put out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Place the microwave at the curb with a "For Sale" sign on it.  It will disappear magically.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

. . . .and  THEY  will  throw  it  to  the  side  of  the  road  for  you .  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Because people are idiots, our DNR bought some old rock quarries not to far from me years back, bought them, invested more money making them safe for the public to fish, really nice when they opened, bike/walking paths, shelter houses, above average fishing, within a month people had it tore up, trash strewn around, people keeping everything they caught, doing what they do best.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Will it fit in U.S. Post Office  "If It Fits It Ships" box?  If so, send it to Nancy Pelosi with no (or fictional) return address, marked "Do Not Open Untiil Christmas" ...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My trash guys will haul anything off because a few time a year I leave an 18 pack of beer in a paper bag next to the trash cans
View Quote

My trash guys used to be picky but now they pay them by the number of pounds that they pick up. They're not at all picky any more!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
This.  Got rid of junk tv's twice with a similar method.  I used a sign that said "$25 Works".  Gone before daybreak both times.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If it has a cord, Goodwill takes the stuff working or not.... They fill a trailer and then get paid for the weight from everyone's E trash!!
View Quote

Must be regional, because the Goodwill in my area is VERY picky - no computers older than a couple of years, no CRT's, couches only if they are completely stain free.

So I just go up the road to the Salvation Army.  They are much more accommodating.  I get a receipt for what I donated and deduct it on my taxes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
money
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Best Buy will recycle it for free.

The local land fill no longer takes e waste either.  You can recycle for .40 a pound which adds up fast for old tube tv's and such.

We can't even put card board in our trash cans now thanks to California moving here
View Quote

Funny you should say that. I had a bunch of cardboard that I didn't want to pay to dispose of so I burned it. The prevailing wind carried the smoke and soot east across to Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#22]
our town won't take tube tv's and such, however once a month, they have a recycling event for them.  We dropped off two old crt tv's and it suprised me at the size of the operation...there were two semi trailers mostly full of old tv's that people were trying to get rid of, and this was just one time.

Old computers and electronics...Goodwill will recycle them around here.

anything that I can't get rid of (old lawn mowers, car parts-rotors, etc) I put out at the curb and the scrappers grab well before garbage day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn. I would shoot it to pieces for fun or sledge hammer it into pieces and then throw it in the garbage can. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Go to local apt complex with large dumpsters and throw it away....that's what people do around here anyway lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#25]
$4 a fucking month to recycle.
fuck it all
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I've never paid for a new mattress, whenever I start shopping around I just look in ditches for a discarded one. Hit it with some Lysol and I'm good to go.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Take a cue from the arfcommer that gives the cat shit gift every year. Place the old microwave in the new box, tape it all up. Wrap it up nice in Xmas paper and go to town. Leave it sitting on the tailgate or trunk lid of your vehicle and go shopping. If you have a GoPro or game cam that you can hide in your vehicle, all the better. Post pics and become arfcom legend.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#28]
We can put small appliances in our blue Recycle can and it gets hauled away every Friday.  Larger items, like an old fridge I had, will get picked up if you call and ask.  Paid $25 for that on my next water bill.  Big screen TV's like my old 65" Mitsubishi will also get picked up.  Once a quarter we have bulk pick-up and they take everything except tires, car batteries, and stuff like that.  Twice a year the county does a haz-mat recycle for free.  

The microwave you described would get tossed in the Recycle bin and I would not even think twice about it.  Just tossed out a non-working DVD player about an hour ago.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top