Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here is one of my 100 yard (yes, 100 yards) AK targets. Yes that's a 10 shot AK group, not a 3 shot AR BS group. Any questions?
www.hunt101.com/img/347541.JPG

Uhh...yes...are you actually proud of this?

Why are the AK guys always so defensive? Personally, I wouldn't scrape dog doo off my boots with an
AK, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

www.t-shirtking.com/graphics/163-00041.jpg
Who's this one for? Carl?

thanks for the new target! Im gonna print out a hundred of these!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

buckshot would give you about the same pattern

Post your 100 yard buckshot target if you ever make to the range, that is if you actually have access to either.

Quoted:

Why are the AK guys always so defensive? Personally, I wouldn't scrape dog doo off my boots with an AK, but to each his own.

Actually yes. Have you ever done better with an AK and Russian ammo?  

AK guy?  Defensive?   I'm actually a Colt AR, HK, FAL kind of guy and only recently got into the many AK varieties, although I've had a Galil for almost 15 years.

And you? Near as I can tell if you spent more time at the range than stepping in dog doo you might be able to match my target and have cleaner shoes as well.

So far only one poster has been able to prove he could match my AK target with an AR. That's sad considering this is an AR15 site, but not surprising since few of you get to the range enough to even shoot up to minimal AK and Wolf ammo standards. The fact is, most AK shooters shoot so much (partly because of the cheaper ammo) they can easily outshoot most AR15 shooters who only get out every other month because they spend more time in General Discussion than at the range.

If you think different, prove it with your 10rd 100 yard target.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
As rediculous as this rig may appear. a friend of mine kills the shit out of coyotes with one very similar, albeit a 3x9 and no sun shade.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]
This setup DOES adhere to the rule -

Your scope and rings should cost at least as much as your rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Here is one of my 100 yard (yes, 100 yards) AK targets. Yes that's a 10 shot AK group, not a 3 shot AR BS group. Any questions?

Offhand?   Benchrest?   Sandbagged?   Irons?   Scope?   Ammo?

Kind of meaningless w/out more info.

So far only one poster has been able to prove he could match my AK target with an AR.

I don't take pics of my targets, and I don't save them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So far only one poster has been able to prove he could match my AK target with an AR.

Dude......I could beat that with my S&W snubbie.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...

Heheheh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#9]
My guess is some guy bought it at a gun show from a dealer who claimed it was a dragonuv sniper rifle, just without the scope.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

buckshot would give you about the same pattern

Post your 100 yard buckshot target if you ever make to the range, that is if you actually have access to either.

Quoted:

Why are the AK guys always so defensive? Personally, I wouldn't scrape dog doo off my boots with an AK, but to each his own.

Actually yes. Have you ever done better with an AK and Russian ammo?  

AK guy?  Defensive?   I'm actually a Colt AR, HK, FAL kind of guy and only recently got into the many AK varieties, although I've had a Galil for almost 15 years.

And you? Near as I can tell if you spent more time at the range than stepping in dog doo you might be able to match my target and have cleaner shoes as well.

So far only one poster has been able to prove he could match my AK target with an AR. That's sad considering this is an AR15 site, but not surprising since few of you get to the range enough to even shoot up to minimal AK and Wolf ammo standards. The fact is, most AK shooters shoot so much (partly because of the cheaper ammo) they can easily outshoot most AR15 shooters who only get out every other month because they spend more time in General Discussion than at the range.

If you think different, prove it with your 10rd 100 yard target.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#12]

So we are ONLY up to two people on Arfcom that can beat my AK target with an AR. Sad very sad.

Time to hit the range more boys
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wow, you are trying to introduce logic and facts into this thread.

It was at the bench with only the front handguard resting on a stack of small sandbags. Scoped with a 3.5x fixed Rusky. Ammo was 10 cent Barnual 5.45 FMJ.  This is a CQB setup (unlike the AK in the picture that started this thread). If I recall it was raining and the wind was gusting that day.

Now I'd like some info on the twos ARs beating it.  Varmint setups? Leupy 10x's?  Rolled handloads? Does your AR weigh more than my AK?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Other than the one flyer, your AK is shooting minute of Rosie O's ever expanding butt.

I keep looking for a group all I see is 10 fliers
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

How about you just tell us what the CtoC measurement of the group was.
My AR can do 1" all day long.

If I recall it was raining and the wind was gusting that day.

Now yer making excuses. And you were in immense pain at the time too right??

Now I'd like some info on the twos ARs beating it.  Varmint setups? Leupy 10x's?  Rolled handloads? Does your AR weigh more than my AK?

EVERY AR configuration can beat that.

Every single one.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Scopes like that make your bump firing much more accurate.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I think the French should adoupt the AR...I mean you cant even get them alittle dirty or theyll jam.....so you cant really use them in battle....perfect for the French.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was at the bench with only the front handguard resting on a stack of small sandbags. Scoped with a 3.5x fixed Rusky. Ammo was 10 cent Barnual 5.45 FMJ.  This is a CQB setup (unlike the AK in the picture that started this thread). If I recall it was raining and the wind was gusting that day.

DPMS A2 carbine.  Stock.  Bushnell 2x7x32.  Bipod from the bench.  Federal 69gr top, Handloaded Sierra 65gr soft point on the bottom.  The type of scope on top will not suddenly make you shoot any better.  I can shoot about as well with irons as I do with a red dot.  I can shoot about as well with 4 power scope as a 9.  

My results from the AR are pretty typical of any shooter that is obviously doing any real practice vs. just blasting.  I haven't seen too many targets from serious AR shooters that looked bigger than 3" with an optic.  Lots are inside 2".  The ARs are well recognized as an inherantly accurate design that can be refined even further with money.

There are plenty of good reasons to throw a scope on your AK.  Eyesight, and not liking the open sights would probably be on my list.  What was put on that thing is just a waste of cash.  It is not going to hold a small enough group to useful at long range... and how exadurated do you need to see your tremours and wobble at short ranges?

How the hell would I know how much your AK weighs?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about you just tell us what the CtoC measurement of the group was.
My AR can do 1" all day long.

If I recall it was raining and the wind was gusting that day.

Now yer making excuses. And you were in immense pain at the time too right??

EVERY AR configuration can beat that.

Every single one.

I will do about 1.5" from the bench on a 10 shot string at the peak of my performance.  Wolf ammo is usually much worse but even with surplus M193 I can shoot 2.5" with no problem.

I agree with him on one point.  People rely on 3 shot groups too often.  I thought at one time I had a 1 MOA FAL.  Once I started shooting 7 and 10 shot groups I quickly became disposed of that notion.

Oh yeah my FAL has a 3x9x40 on top, free floating HG and a smoothed trigger.  Still can't get it to consistantly shoot better than 2-3" on my good days.  The scope on top does not count for shit if you can't shoot or the rifle can't group any better.  It just makes it easier to be certain you had the same point of aim when you fired.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Personally I think the French should adoupt the AR...I mean you cant even get them alittle dirty or theyll jam.....so you cant really use them in battle....perfect for the French.

The ultimate AR myth.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So we are ONLY up to two people on Arfcom that can beat my AK target with an AR. Sad very sad.

I think you are joking with us, but my stock M15A4 will easily make tighter groups than the ones you have shown and I'm pretty sure any AR would do the same.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I agree with him on one point.  People rely on 3 shot groups too often.  I thought at one time I had a 1 MOA FAL.  Once I started shooting 7 and 10 shot groups I quickly became disposed of that notion.

More important that that even is what size is your group (of how ever many shots) on the last 10 times you shot a group.

In other words, can you group sub-MOA consitently?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Robert, that is a what...... a 4 or 5 minute group?  It still can't hold a candle to a well-built AR IMHO.

Flame suit on.....

SRM

That's 10 cent Russian ammo. Can anyone do that with 10 cent AR ammo?

That's also a 10rd group, not the BS 3rd groups I see here all the time. How tight are the best 3rds in my target?

That was done with a 3.5x rusky scope, not a $800 Leupy dialed at 10x or more.

If I set up a dozen targets at a time and only shoot 3rd groups it's only a matter of time before I'll have one with them all touching. That's why I shoot 10rd groups, the only true test. That target cost a dollar a shoot! Can your AR beat that for $1 ?

Yes, with my standard iron sights, not national match, Just regular A2 sights, and yes that is with

shitty for accuracy Wolf ammo.  I would imagine any other High Power League shooters here

could do the same.  No biggie.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I don't tend to keep my targets; however, with the M1A, I'm classified at the high end of Expert for Highpower Rifle.  I expect that to improve when I move to the AR15 platform.  I don't shoot glass on my HP rifles (it's against the rules), but still manage to hold MOA.  That is with reloads, but that only accounts for so much.  Probably make up the difference since I don't use sandbags when I shoot HP.

Next I go rifle shooting, I'll try to remember to bring back some targets, I guess.

But ask anyone what I was doing to glowsticks at the Hun Farm with my FAL!  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Grunteled's stock AR can outshoot my AK with ammo that costs twice as much. Pictures prove it. Most others here are just talk.

Other than the flyer (who knows, maybe it was my fault or the cheap ammo) the AK  group was 2 1/4"

Including the flyer it was 4"

Nine shots in 2 1/4" is nothing to scoff at when it’s from a stock AK firing russian ammo.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Varmint setup?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Grunteled's stock AR can outshoot my AK with ammo that costs twice as much. Other than the flyer (who knows, maybe it was my fault or the cheap ammo) the AK  group was 2 1/4"

Nine shots in 2 1/4" is nothing to scoff at when it’s from a stock AK firing russian ammo.

Every functional AR can consistently beat that. Using iron sights.

Pictures prove it. Most others here are just talk.

Actually pictures only prove I can make good groups....with a lead pencil.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More important that that even is what size is your group (of how ever many shots) on the last 10 times you shot a group.

In other words, can you group sub-MOA consitently?

That's true.  I have been able to shoot 0.6 to 1" groups of 5 every so often, but I can't sit down and say, "today I will do that again".  So it really doesn't mean much.  1-2" with a scope, 2-3" with irons is about as good as I can do right now and be reasonably certain I can do it again.  I don't think my rifle can get under 1" consistantly either.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Grunteled's stock AR can outshoot my AK with ammo that costs twice as much. Pictures prove it. Most others here are just talk.

Other than the flyer (who knows, maybe it was my fault or the cheap ammo) the AK  group was 2 1/4"

How many times have you repeated that?  That flyer could be a flinch or a jerk, or it could be the outside edge of the rifle/ammo combo's performance.  Without averaging the results or using a backing target to record all the groups you won't know for sure.  I can get some great numbers if I throw out one bad shot.  However when I shoot 50 rounds using a backer target my 'flyers' usually blend into the overall pattern, they are just the extreme edge and occur at low frequency, but you can't just ignore them.  They are there and they will happen, group after group after group.  

Careful about the cost of my ammo.  Fed 69 is pretty pricey but my handloaded rounds cost about 3-4 cents more than Wolf.  For 100yd use they tend to shoot better than federal too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's right, Robert.  You're the best shot ever and your rifle is a true marvel of Soviet precision design.

We stand in awe of your amazing capability to shoot 4 MOA groups.  I shall truly strive to achieve your personal greatness.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right, Robert.  You're the best shot ever and your rifle is a true marvel of Soviet precision design.

We stand in awe of your amazing capability to shoot 4 MOA groups.  I shall truly strive to achieve your personal greatness.  

We will stand at 300 yards apart, and trade shots.

RObert with his AK, me with my AR.

I'll even let Robert go first.

I'll only bring one round.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#32]

No, the best shot ever award must surely go to garandman. After all he said:

"Dude......I could beat that with my S&W snubbie."

I'm just an average joe posting a stock AK target. No highpower trophies here. Sorry I riled the highpower shooters and couch potatoes so badly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
. Sorry I riled the highpower shooters and couch potatoes people attached to reality so badly.

For the record, highpower shooters are people who live and breath accuracy.

Ever wonder why you won't see any AK's at highpower matches? In fact at ANY matches where accuracy counts?

What exactly is it you know that a hundred thousand other competitors don't know??

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#34]
No highpower trophies here either.

You seem to make a lot of assumptions about what others can and can't do Robert.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You do realize that at 200 yards, some folks here could beat that with nothing more than a HBAR AR, a sling, few rounds of 77gr. ammo, and closed eyes for every shot, right? ( With irons, to boot )

Listen, your group speaks volumes. Most any AR in the same conditions can beat it assuming the two shooters are of equivalent skill.

Keep this in mind - the best shooters in this forum... are not responding to your thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Keep this in mind - the best shooters in this forum... are not responding to your thread.

Yup.

They just chuckle at the AK guys and move along.

In fact, teh best shooters round here seldom post in GD.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:53:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
We will stand at 300 yards apart, and trade shots.

RObert with his AK, me with my AR.

I'll even let Robert go first.

I'll only bring one round.

Not funny. You would die.

It's one think to be silly, but that is downright idiotic.

AKs have no problem killing people at 300 yards. I used to post my 300 yard results on the AK forums, of which you are blissfully unaware. I've also been handed several tactical match certificates when I was using an AK and place in the top ten. There were a few AR operators ahead of me, and about 50 to 80 way behind on the scoresheet.

I've also been beat by a guy using an AK with iron sights. I didn't feel bad though. He beat every AR that day too.

Highpower shooting is slow and deliberate, with the emphasis on slow. Stock ARs are usually not in sight. They also wear funny jackets.

Anyway, my point is, a stock AK has all the accuracy needed for typical combat ranges. You do not want to be downrange of one with an unloaded AR and with just one round.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yea..I guess thats why we are doing so badly in Iraq, huh?

I hear about jamming every night on CNN, huh?

And trust me, if there were dirty AR's jamming in Iraq, CNN would be the first doing yet another story on why we are'nt prepared in Iraq.

I guess WASR stands for: Wicked Ass Sniper Rifle??
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Dude, I'm not knocking AKs. They're cool. But the groups you posted aren't really all that great - particuarly scoped and off a bench - and are easily duplicated with just about any AR, using milsurp ammo. Your shots are all over the place. Any decent scoped AR will hold 2.5" with crap ammo. Shit, Old_Painless did a test with various mil loads (Wolf, Q3131, XM193), took pics, and did better. Even then, the point of the post was to prove how lousy the ammo was for accuracy.

I really don't understand what you're trying to prove.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Highpower shooting is slow and deliberate, with the emphasis on slow. Stock ARs are usually not in sight. They also wear funny jackets.

I take it you're a highpower shooter, so you know all about it, right ? What does slow have to do with it? In the rapids, you have 60-70 seconds to make a group like the one you posted.

- You start in a sitting or standing position. You don't have much time to fix things up.

- There is a mandatory reload.

- They shoot at 200 and 300 yards.

Your AK cannot do that. Yes, some of highpower is slow and deliberate. However, the rapid fire stages are not. We don't have the luxury of a bench and sandbag like you do. We can't use optics like you can. We can't stick 10 rounds in a magazine and take our bloody time like you can. All we have is a sling - all we need is a sling. We have to start out of position. We have to reload and charge the weapon with one hand.

This is not mentioning the Rattle Battle. Not only do we start out of position, we have to RUN up to our firing point, drop down, and start shooting at a man-sized target at 600, 500, 300, and 200 yards. This, all at the rate of about one round a second for 64 rounds. Don't be so quick to discredit the ability of a highpower shooter to put rounds on target where he wants them

This has less to do with the man than the weapon system. I don't care how many tactical matches you've been to. Sure, an experienced shooter with an AK can beat a n00bie with an AR.

Technically, your AK cannot hold a group that most normal ARs can. This is not me being a snob, this is not opinion. This is FACT

ETA - I forgot to add this. At Quantico and Perry I used a stock AR from Colt. More fine sights and a crappy two stage trigger, but this has little to do with the many times I have cleaned a stage. In other words, your argument don't hold water.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not funny. You would die.

It's one think to be silly, but that is downright idiotic.

AKs have no problem killing people at 300 yards. I used to post my 300 yard results on the AK forums, of which you are blissfully unaware. I've also been handed several tactical match certificates when I was using an AK and place in the top ten. There were a few AR operators ahead of me, and about 50 to 80 way behind on the scoresheet.

I've also been beat by a guy using an AK with iron sights. I didn't feel bad though. He beat every AR that day too.

Anyway, my point is, a stock AK has all the accuracy needed for typical combat ranges. You do not want to be downrange of one with an unloaded AR and with just one round.

Its called hyperbole (and in this case is only a slight exaggeration)

Dude....my hyperbole aside, you are just making a fool of yourself.

Whatever floats your boat.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#42]

This thread WAS about AKs not being worthy of a scope and not shooting decent groups at 100 yards.

Now it’s about an AR being superior at HIGHPOWER matches and taking pot shots at me.

How far we have come.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I really don't understand what you're trying to prove.

I think that's the real issue here.  I don't understand what he's trying to prove.

I think he thought I was mad at him, but I'm not, just poking fun.  I'd be kind of annoyed if I left the range with a target like that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I ain't takin potshots at ya, but I'm telling you one thing that you don't seem to grasp.

An ordinary AR, highpower match or not, will outshoot an AK in terms of groups.

All I was saying is not to discredit highpower as being eclusively slow. We do shoot very quickly at times.

Time for you to separate the man from the machine. I'm telling you that an ordinary AR will group better  an ordinary AK. You respond by saying that the highpower crowd has little credibility because it is slow.

I'd love to know what you are TRYING to argue. I don't care where you shoot, or how quickly or slow you shoot.

I'll say it one more time. Many, MANY people with ARs on this site have had ten shot groups that beat those from an AK.

Need I say it again?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This thread WAS about AKs not being worthy of a scope and not shooting decent groups at 100 yards.

Now it’s about an AR being superior at HIGHPOWER matches and taking pot shots at me.

How far we have come.

I certainly would not brag about shooting a 4 MOA group. Especially not one shot off a bench while using a scope.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Robert2011

Shesh, stop making a fool of yourself. I'm getting embarrassed for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

How far we have come.

They're still not worthy of a scope. You should be able to shoot groups like that with irons.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I think he thought I was mad at him, but I'm not, just poking fun.  I'd be kind of annoyed if I left the range with a target like that.

PRECISELY!!!!!!!!

When my AR shoots larger than 1" at 100 yards (even with the fliers) , I'm pissed and start ripping it apart to figger out what's wrong.

Comparatively, when AK guys get 4"  groups, they save the targets for bragging at Arfcom.

Too funny.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#49]
4 MOA is still minute of chest.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
4 MOA is still minute of chest.

I like minute of eyeball. make that minute of iris.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top