Don't agree with that either.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did the OP's wife stay at home and raise the kids, keep the house, and make every meal? If so, does that not deserve support when things go south (not if she cheated of course).

I am amazed at home many men here seem to view their wives as slaves, or second class citizens when things go bad in the marriage. One old neighbor who is dead now yelled at the judge during his divorce when the judge awarded her half the pension. He said "she did not work for that money, I did". The judge felt like I did that she spent 45 years taking care of the house, raising the kids, and putting up with his shit, and he was a shit to her. When the prick retired he did not take the pension with survivor benefits. He said it was his money and he wanted all of his pension, not a prorated amount to care for her after he died. Instead of the survivor benefits he took out a $100k insurance policy for her, he even tried to stop paying for it during the divorce but the judge told him not a chance. Prick died alone in Florida and his two surviving kids did not have a service for him because he did not have a single friend in the world.
As a stay at home wife, no.

The support goes both ways for the duration of the marriage.  Once it's over, neither party should be forced to provide for the other.

I do not agree with the ones who bitch about the 50/50 split of assets acquired while married.  But forced continued financial support is abhorrent.
So instead the tax payers have to continue the abhorrent support of the woman who stayed at home as they agreed instead of getting an education and a career?
Unfortunately that's the world we live in. At least the guy who pays the alimony had a choice in the matter. The taxpayer just gets fucked without even getting laid.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
in a lot of states, the judge won't fall for that, and state laws allow the judge to impute income to the payor based on the payor's ability to earn.  Men try that all the time in child support cases and the court says "nice try, keep paying."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a guy who gave up his professional state licensing, necessary to work in his field, took a $100k+/yr pay cut and started delivering pizzas to support himself, just so they'd have to refigure his alimony. He already lived a smaller rent house that was paid off he got in the divorce when his ex got the main residence... that she could never pay off the mortgage without his money.

He said there was no way he was going to work his ass off in a professional field just so his ex could sit on her ass all day. If he was going to have to work the rest of HIS life, so was she.
in a lot of states, the judge won't fall for that, and state laws allow the judge to impute income to the payor based on the payor's ability to earn.  Men try that all the time in child support cases and the court says "nice try, keep paying."
Yep thats true, which is why if you choose this route you must be willing to go all the way.

Sometimes "scorched earth" means you have to burn your field too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alimony is indentured servitude.

Typically you have to pay alimony for half the duration of the marriage.

In my case, married for 30 years so that will be 15 years.

I'm 57 now, so that will mean working until I am 72 to pay off the alimony.

So let's face it, the rest of my life is fucked. No retirement.
View Quote
At gov retire age of 67 you can retire file a motion to terminate.  Almost always granted.  You kind of came out lucky given everyone else has to cover difference for half of length of marriage, or in some cases of young 20yr  marriages getting lifetime (which may cover 30+yrs).
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did the OP's wife stay at home and raise the kids, keep the house, and make every meal? If so, does that not deserve support when things go south (not if she cheated of course).

I am amazed at home many men here seem to view their wives as slaves, or second class citizens when things go bad in the marriage. One old neighbor who is dead now yelled at the judge during his divorce when the judge awarded her half the pension. He said "she did not work for that money, I did". The judge felt like I did that she spent 45 years taking care of the house, raising the kids, and putting up with his shit, and he was a shit to her. When the prick retired he did not take the pension with survivor benefits. He said it was his money and he wanted all of his pension, not a prorated amount to care for her after he died. Instead of the survivor benefits he took out a $100k insurance policy for her, he even tried to stop paying for it during the divorce but the judge told him not a chance. Prick died alone in Florida and his two surviving kids did not have a service for him because he did not have a single friend in the world.
View Quote
Stay at home moms seem rather uncommon these days outside of Arfcom and similarly conservative groups.  Out of all the families I've known growing up or know now, I can only think of 2 stay at home wives, and one of them worked part time as soon as the youngest kids were in school.  The other became a stay at home mom after becoming a lawyer and will likely go back to work when those are in school as well, and outpace her husband's income rather quickly.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what happens if you say fuck it and live off the grid somewhere as a hermit and dont pay? can you be arrested for not paying alimony?
That is a shitty situation to be in, I feel bad for you OP.
View Quote
Yes, it's a modern day Debtor's Prison. Just like they can throw you in jail for not paying child support.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Whores seem a much cheaper way to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I disagree. I don’t think it ever made sense. Women should have strong financial disincentives from divorcing their spouse. The same should be true of having children out of wedlock as well.
View Quote
So if 150 years ago there was a wife that had zero marketable skills and had aged out of child bearing had a husband who fucked around on her and beat her she should just cowboy up and deal with it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My brother in law in South Carolina is looking at LIFETIME alimony.  Yes, that's a thing.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in the same trap - the ex getting permanent and periodic alamonity.

There were three outs - she could die, cohabitate contrary to state statues (live with some one), and or have income.

I paid the bitch enough money I could have had my house paid off.

When I lost my job and had some time on my hands - I re-opened up the divorce case - stated that she had income - SS disability income, and she was cohabiting. Got the alamonity BLOWN UP!

The Fuck Up Governor of Florida had a bill on his desk that would have ended Permanent and Periodic Alimony - he refused to sign the bill into law....If he had you probably could have measured the ground shaking on the richter scale.

Red
A Free Man
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So if 150 years ago there was a wife that had zero marketable skills and had aged out of child bearing had a husband who fucked around on her and beat her she should just cowboy up and deal with it?
View Quote
Islam is right about women.

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Fiance throws jabs at me constantly about what I pay my ex....... She just refuses to accept that I bit the bullet because I knew I could get screwed. I was married like 10 years almost to the day. So I ran the possibility of paying permanent alimony so I didn't want to fight in court and we came to an agreement. Gave up my house to keep my retirement and agreed to temp alimony and let her keep the kids the bulk of the time. I've paid and paid....

The results are that she squandered much of the child support. Alimony ended years ago ago and my first kid just turned 18. So her days are numbered.....he husband is working his ass off to keep them afloat as it is.

It sucks when I think that I've paid her north of $300k over the years but my kids are good kids and I know that life is going to hurt for her down the road.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately that's the world we live in. At least the guy who pays the alimony had a choice in the matter. The taxpayer just gets fucked without even getting laid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The support goes both ways for the duration of the marriage.  Once it's over, neither party should be forced to provide for the other.

I do not agree with the ones who bitch about the 50/50 split of assets acquired while married.  But forced continued financial support is abhorrent.
So instead the tax payers have to continue the abhorrent support of the woman who stayed at home as they agreed instead of getting an education and a career?
Choice?

That word...
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Context matters.

I don't have a problem splitting the assets and moving on.

If the man initiates a no-fault divorce from a stay at home wife, I can understand 3-5 years of alimony to enable her to get trained and into the workforce.

The problem is when the wife initiates a no-fault divorce and then gets to collect a decade or more of alimony.  If there's no fault, then why is he obligated to continue providing every month for a woman who is leaving him?  If he is obligated to continue providing for her after she leaves him, why isn't she obligated to continue providing for him in other ways?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Context matters.

If the man initiates a no-fault divorce from a stay at home wife, I can understand 3-5 years of alimony to enable her to get trained and into the workforce.

The problem is when the wife initiates a no-fault divorce and then gets to collect a decade or more of alimony.  If there's no fault, then why is he obligated to continue providing every month for a woman who is leaving him?  If he is obligated to continue providing for her after she leaves him, why isn't she obligated to continue providing for him in other ways?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context matters.

Agreed 100%. A short period of alimony ensures a woman who was previously a stay at home mom won't get stranded high and dry. However, if she initiates (or is a whore) at-fault divorce ensures a man isn't going to have to finance her bad choices.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We would negotiate the number and it would be for a fixed term.  Of course if circumstances changed like I lost my job or something it would have to be renegotiated.
View Quote
Did you settle out of court or did the judge decide the case?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
It depends on the state, but you can fight if you can prove your ex has the ability to support themselves.  Also, if she remarries you’re off the hook and if you’re in a common law state of she shacks up with some, that would be cause to stop. You could also try to negotiate a lump sum payment.

You will be able to deduct from your income tax any alimony payments made to her and she has to claim as income.

It sucks OP, best day was the last check to the ex.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No ring without a prenup.
View Quote
I’m amenable to this idea.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Retire at 73.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It depends on the state, but you can fight if you can prove your ex has the ability to support themselves.  Also, if she remarries you're off the hook and if you're in a common law state of she shacks up with some, that would be cause to stop. You could also try to negotiate a lump sum payment.

You will be able to deduct from your income tax any alimony payments made to her and she has to claim as income.

View Quote
Not if you started paying this year. We got a bit fucked in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It depends on the state, but you can fight if you can prove your ex has the ability to support themselves.  Also, if she remarries you’re off the hook and if you’re in a common law state of she shacks up with some, that would be cause to stop. You could also try to negotiate a lump sum payment.

View Quote
Nope. Only applies to divorce decrees entered on or before 12/31/18.  I got a preban divorce in 2018.  The new tax law is total BS.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ex was impugned income because of her college degrees and capacity to work.  Still, it was applied at only the most conservative (lowest) level for her.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#23]
It is. I have a friend who is mid 50s and has been paying  $3,000 a month and pays it until he retires.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Alimony is ridiculous.  But if kids are involved, then child support should pay for the kids to live the way they would have lived in a happy marriage.
Any deadbeat dad (or mom) who skips paying it should be shot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is not how it works. They will base it off what he should be making and if he voluntarily takes a pay cut, support will not be reduced.
View Quote
Earning potential, IIRC.

And thats a one way street too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Alimony is ridiculous.  But if kids are involved, then child support should pay for the kids to live the way they would have lived in a happy marriage.
Any deadbeat dad (or mom) who skips paying it should be shot.
View Quote
The father has a right to live somewhere other than a van down by the river, and the mother shouldn't be buying lipo with the kids' Tyco money. A happy marriage takes two people contributing, a father alone can't maintain two households.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Choice?

That word...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choice?

That word...
There are involuntary marriages?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#29]
my childhood best friend's life was destroyed by alimony. Married this tramp. She was screwing other guys while they were dating. Got knocked up and he married her. Marriage lasted 1 year. Kid doesn't even look like him. She moved in with a colorful character, but never remarried of course. He never made a lot of money but enough to get by. She got all of it. When his parents died he got their house. Had to sell it to pay bills. Last I heard he was bouncing from couch to couch with no retirement in sight. Was the nicest guy in the world. Eagle Scout and all that. I offered to pay for med coverage but he wouldn't take it. Dropped off radar years ago.

She destroyed him. Even her parents were on his side. Didn't matter. She got everything.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The father has a right to live somewhere other than a van down by the river, and the mother shouldn't be buying lipo with the kids' Tyco money. A happy marriage takes two people contributing, a father alone can't maintain two households.

Kharn
View Quote
Fair enough.  Mom goes back to work and Dad pays half the true cost every month.

Or vice versa...
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choice?

That word...
They could be involuntary divorves.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I paid 5 years for 2.5 year marriage that ended with proved adultery. Actually brought her boyfriend to court.
didnt make any difference.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Useless.   Judges break them all the time.
View Quote
happened in my case.

the official term is "invalidate".

absolutely useless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No.   It isn’t indentured servitude.

It’s Slavery.  Pure and simple.

-edit- It’s actually far Worse than slavery.

Because with Slavery, the slavemaster has a responsibility to feed, house and protect you.
View Quote
plus one
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#35]
In the US men pay 99 percent of alimony, which is billions of dollars annually.

A lot of alimony-receiving women are not just lazy, but also stupid. A friend of mine was paying alimony and part of his pension to his ex-wife under court order. Then he died early into his retirement so the alimony and pension went away. Now his ex-wife is 67, she may live for another 20 years, and her sole income is half his social security and a small 401k.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#36]
War on men.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except that isn't how things worked 150 years ago. Life was simpler and most typical "job skills" were learned by the age of 10. Any woman who could sew, cook, bake, clean, or do laundry had a job just as any man who could take an ax to a tree or walk behind a plow had a job.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choice?

That word...
Just like single moms, they chose poorly.

People need to be more careful when picking a mate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Jesus.  Those sexbots can’t get here soon enough.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
That doesn't mean anything.  They can't FORCE you to work and pay.  Sure, they can lock you up.....but if you're the case discussed earlier (making 5k a month and only keeping 800).....fuck it.....I'd sit my ass in jail instead.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And people wonder why I don’t really want to get married lol
View Quote
This. Not doing that shit again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
People ask me all the time when will I marry my SO. Threads like this remind me why I'll not be going down that road again.
View Quote
Be more like me.....marry a woman that makes more money than you do (note, I make 6 figures).
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#44]
In VA it is for life. Consider yourself lucky. My dad will be paying my mother until she finally takes 1 too many muscle relaxers after a bottle of vodka. Can't come soon enough either.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Except that isn't how things worked 150 years ago. Life was simpler and most typical "job skills" were learned by the age of 10. Any woman who could sew, cook, bake, clean, or do laundry had a job just as any man who could take an ax to a tree or walk behind a plow had a job.
View Quote
Except most men had wives to do those things for them
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
what happens if you say fuck it and live off the grid somewhere as a hermit and dont pay? can you be arrested for not paying alimony?
That is a shitty situation to be in, I feel bad for you OP.
View Quote
Can't go to jail in FL for not paying it. Your state and mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't know what the laws are in NC but in Utah if you are/were married more than 10 years they can (and do) stick you will LIFETIME alimony.

There are way too many men on the hook......it's a control mechanism.   Those who have imposed slavery on the men of this country will not fare well in the up coming festivities.  I'm not going to cut any down with a rope around their necks.......that's for sure.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
The wife's choices didn't matter at all?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
my childhood best friend's life was destroyed by alimony. Married this tramp. She was screwing other guys while they were dating. Got knocked up and he married her. Marriage lasted 1 year. Kid doesn't even look like him. She moved in with a colorful character, but never remarried of course. He never made a lot of money but enough to get by. She got all of it. When his parents died he got their house. Had to sell it to pay bills. Last I heard he was bouncing from couch to couch with no retirement in sight. Was the nicest guy in the world. Eagle Scout and all that. I offered to pay for med coverage but he wouldn't take it. Dropped off radar years ago.

She destroyed him. Even her parents were on his side. Didn't matter. She got everything.
View Quote
Either your buddy is an idiot or this is a shit post.  Numerous things in your post would allow him to get a court to overturn alimony, child support, etc... in any US state.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree. I don’t think it ever made sense. Women should have strong financial disincentives from divorcing their spouse. The same should be true of having children out of wedlock as well.
Sounds like a problem for the husband and wife to deal with... together or separately. Of course, that excludes the "beat her portion" you decided to add, and infidelity you decided to add, and 'aged out of child bearing' you decided to add. If you're here to cherry pick scenarios or hypotheticals to prove that 'something must be done', I'd be inclined towards me minding my own business, you minding yours, and the people in your scenarios minding theirs.

Reality can provide many disincentives... without involving third parties at all.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top