Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Small time.  The kid at HILL AFB, UT who was caught trying to sneak an F-16 engine out the gate to sell to a Russian agent was dealing in the big bucks.  IIRC the price tag was over $1 million for just the one engine he was dealing, plus all the other gear he had stolen and stashed on base.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You think Military Police has some form of jurisdiction when at my front door?
View Quote

MPs might not, but the CID Special Agents sure as fuck do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
He is going to miss his brick house!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

CID does, yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Office_of_Special_Investigations

edit: .mil guys help me out, isn't this equipment issued to someone on a log?  like how the hell do people get away with this or even think they can?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet there's a few cloners here who should be worried.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I call bullshit. Either never happened or there is more to the story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend of mine in Germany put a padlock on his roommates wall locker to help him out because he kept leaving his locker unlocked. Our SOP was get caught three times you get an Article 15. His roommate had already been written up twice, so when Angel saw it open again threw one of his spare locks on it and went to chow.

Asshole roommate called the MP's. Angel got two years at Leavenworth for theft of government property because asshole's LBE and helmet was in the locker. He got two years and a court martial for locking a wall locker

I call bullshit. Either never happened or there is more to the story.

Agreed - story sounds like complete BS. ETA - your friend is not telling you something.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In before TheHorta
View Quote

What's the story with him?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In before TheHorta
View Quote

You will need to wait another 24 months (18 with good behavior).
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not for long I imagine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about that. I know someone that bought a bunch of expired MREs off eBay and the MPs came knocking and demanded them back.

I'd start laughing pretty hard is a couple MPs walked up to the front door of my home and started demanding shit.

Not for long I imagine.

I think they usually roll with a US Marshal.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Office_of_Special_Investigations

edit: .mil guys help me out, isn't this equipment issued to someone on a log?  like how the hell do people get away with this or even think they can?
View Quote

And what are they going to do when you sold the junk years ago and no longer have it? "Sorry, sold it at the gun show 3 years ago. No idea who has it now".  

Precisely nothing. No way in hell they can prove you knew some ebay shit was stolen and have it hold up in court.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup
View Quote

I bought some mags on arfcom that were stolen and received a call from NCIS. It was from several months or a year earlier, I had already sold the mags along with a bunch others, so there was really no way to recover them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd start laughing pretty hard is a couple MPs walked up to the front door of my home and started demanding shit.
View Quote

I don't think you would when you get threatened with arrest for possession of stolen government property.  Once they notify you of it's stolen status, you have only two choices.  You can give it up to them and chalk it up to bad luck, or keep it, get arrested and after they get a search warrant and find it, you get to go to the gray bar hotel.  

It would suck to be one of the buyers that gets a visit, but think about it, if you had a gun stolen and is later sold by the thief, does the guy who unknowingly bought the gun get to keep it, or does it go back to the rightful owner when the cops show up?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

View Quote

Sure, but ultimately it all comes down to having people you can trust in S4, and an NCOIC that is worth a shit.

And all equipment might not be at the armory for arming before shift. They may have a warehouse for S4 to store more equipment. Which is another set of logs, with more room for pencil whipping.
That was one of things I worked on during my last year in. It was a complete nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes they will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder what they will do with all the eBay buyers? Will they try to recover the stolen items?
Yes they will.

And no refund.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The phrase you're looking for is "Tactically Acquired".
View Quote

No, when you get caught it is "stealing".
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am sure this is the first time this has ever happened.
View Quote
No shit!  Just like the dudes in EE who "seem" to have a never ending supply of CL-9 and CL-2.

I REALLY like the ones who offer up something like 5 (NIP) MATECH BUIS' for $30ea, sell out fast
and then post "JUST FOUND 5 MORE! lol!

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No shit!  Just like the dudes in EE who "seem" to have a never ending supply of CL-9 and CL-2.

I REALLY like the ones who offer up something like 5 (NIP) MATECH BUIS' for $30ea, sell out fast
and then post "JUST FOUND 5 MORE! lol!

View Quote

Esp when they just happened to be next to major military bases.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't think you would when you get threatened with arrest for possession of stolen government property.  Once they notify you of it's stolen status, you have only two choices.  You can give it up to them and chalk it up to bad luck, or keep it, get arrested and after they get a search warrant and find it, you get to go to the gray bar hotel.  

It would suck to be one of the buyers that gets a visit, but think about it, if you had a gun stolen and is later sold by the thief, does the guy who unknowingly bought the gun get to keep it, or does it go back to the rightful owner when the cops show up?
View Quote

Sure I would.  Because the MILITARY POLICE will not be showing up to a civilian's front door to demand or question jack shit.  (Former mil service means nothing.)  CID, that's another story.  However, they would need to prove I'm actually in possession of said stolen property.  If they have a warrant, they aren't going to be "knocking & talking" anyway.  How do they go about proving the facts in the warrant application?

As mentioned above, all I need to say is that "I sold it, no longer in my possession anymore."  Assuming I'm actually speaking with an investigating officer.  Small problem with that, I wouldn't be actually talking with an investigator, I'm one of those 'just shut the door' people.  Don't say shit, just shut the door.  Maybe tell them to keep off the grass as they head to their car.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about that. I know someone that bought a bunch of expired MREs off eBay and the MPs came knocking and demanded them back.

Not for long I imagine.

You think they will be rolling up without jurisdiction? They will bring someone who has it if they don't.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure I would.  Because the MILITARY POLICE will not be showing up to a civilian's front door to demand or question jack shit.  (Former mil service means nothing.)  CID, that's another story.  However, they would need to prove I'm actually in possession of said stolen property.  If they have a warrant, they aren't going to be "knocking & talking" anyway.  How do they go about proving the facts in the warrant application?

As mentioned above, all I need to say is that "I sold it, no longer in my possession anymore."  Assuming I'm actually speaking with an investigating officer.  Small problem with that, I wouldn't be actually talking with an investigator, I'm one of those 'just shut the door' people.  Don't say shit, just shut the door.  Maybe tell them to keep off the grass as they head to their car.
View Quote

Okay.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You think they will be rolling up without jurisdiction? They will bring someone who has it if they don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for long I imagine.

Try looking for my latest post on this conversation string (you'll have to hunt hard for it,) then comment.

eta - better, but ineffective at correcting misstatements.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit?   well...only if u ate 'em...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

Let's find the "hilarious" parts here.

MP at the door?  (not happening)
CID at the door to question me.  Am I required to talk to them?  Nope.

Unless you think that by me opening the door, listening to them say "I'm so-and-so with such-and-such, and we are here about blah-blah." then closing the door is grounds for someone to either arrest/force entry or gain the grounds for a warrant.  It's not.

Also, I once did use the "keep off the grass" line to a state cop that said he was investigating something.  He left, and I never heard another word about it.

So, what's the funny part in what I said?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn I was in for one of them toilet seats. They still a thing?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless you think that by me opening the door, listening to them say "I'm so-and-so with such-and-such, and we are here about blah-blah." then closing the door is grounds for someone to either arrest/force entry or gain the grounds for a warrant.  It's not.
View Quote

No, but the fact that you are buying stolen property and they have the paper trail to prove it, and you are refusing to cooperate, is grounds for a warrant. The fact that this escapes you is the hilarious part.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before TheHorta
View Quote

I understand that reference.gif.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it is current equipment, the government will recover, if it has been surpassed by newer stuff, the government will forget it and go on, in the mean time, this guy will probably end up doing more time than a person that murders someone.

Well, they're out back in the septic tank.  Go dig 'em up.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

View Quote

Stuff like night vision and thermals gets signed out of the arms room on a hand receipt.  The entire arms room is inventoried regularly.  So the chance of someone signing out their issued NODs and then being able to sell them online before anyone notices is pretty much impossible.  Things get a little more interesting in the unit armorer is involved in theft.  THey would have the ability to try and hide it better... but I doubt they would get away with it indefinitely.

Never saw it happen with arms room stuff, but I did see other expensive military property get lost or stolen, then the senior NCO who was responsible for it all was able to just fudge the paperwork and make it like the lost item never existed in the first place.  I doubt that is possible with NODs and thermals since they are considered sensitive items.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I once bought a stolen Jeep OEM Nav radio of ebay.  Got a phone call over a year later from the US Secret Service.  Well not me, my number had changed, but they called my grandparents whom I used to live with on their home number and both cell phones, then proceeded to call both my parents at every number they had.  Wouldn't tell them anything other than this is Shane Osterhaus with the USSS please have DeltaGunner7994 call us.  All they wanted was a picture of the serial number for the case against the seller.  Still never a good thing when you whole family gets calls from the USSS looking for you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would also ....   CID Civilian Special Agents  on the other hand not so much ...  They have make you sad powers that extend to civilians both with and without warrants.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

View Quote

As I said in another post CIDCivilian Special Agents have arrest powers over civilians with and without warrants.  CIDMilitary special agents do not
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Good, dumb ass.

It's one thing to have a sergeant point to something that's not on the books when a unit is deactivating and ask who wants it. It's another to go stealing NVG's and shit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good, dumb ass.

It's one thing to have a sergeant point to something that's not on the books when a unit is deactivating and ask who wants it. It's another to go stealing NVG's and shit.
View Quote
That Sergeant (Usually a 92Y20 type) doesn't have the right to offer shit up "Fer Grabs".

If it's "Not ON The Books" than dude needs to do an FOS report and get that shit back in the system.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a fellow GM steal a bunch of NODS, Thermal, Acogs etc from the SEAL Team One armory and sell them. Dumbass then used the money to buy about 10k worth of band and studio equipment.....then think it was a good idea to set it up in the fucking BEQ. He got loved ever so softly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No, but the fact that you are buying stolen property and they have the paper trail to prove it, and you are refusing to cooperate, is grounds for a warrant. The fact that this escapes you is the hilarious part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, his screen name definitely fits
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The CID or FBI will come and ask nicely for them to be returned and that they know and understand that you are the victim and did not know that you were buying stolen military hardware. They will explain that if you refuse you risk prosecution because as of this moment you have been informed that you bought stolen government property and refuse to return it. 

I have paperwork from both organizations for items that I returned on two separate occasions. They have the serial numbers and copies of all correspondence. They give you a booklet and a phone number for an agency to call for therapy for being a victim of a crime perpetrated by someone in the military.  
View Quote

Sue US Govt for being victimized/Traimatized by a criminal in their ranks?

Profit??
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not an MP.

FBI. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good, dumb ass.

View Quote

I don't see a difference in this….
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes they will.
View Quote

Yep.  And they get screwed out of their payment and have to file individual suits against him, from what I remember in previous incidents like this.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wonder what they will do with all the eBay buyers? Will they try to recover the stolen items?
View Quote

Ask for it back .  The buyers will probably leave a negative feedback to seller
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Too big, sir.  You went too big.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

View Quote

If you work in the arms room, it's wouldn't be hard to steal some shit.  All it would take is altering the recorded inventory levels and walking out with the shit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.  He had some nice stuff
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Military grade hardware used to be seen on the local facebook gun trader for Killeen / Austin every once in a while.

I believe the local MP's and po-po's loved them tenderly whenever they found out.

Just the other day in Houston there was a high end dbal/cqbl type infrared laser that got posted, and alot of people jumped on the guy for it being grifted from a military source. It got taken down quickly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
50,000?

Amateur....
$880,000 stolen FTW!

Former Marine Pleads Guilty To Theft Of $880,000 In Military Equipment From Department Of Defense

Defendant Sold Stolen Soldier Gear Online

Earlier today, at the federal courthouse in Central Islip, New York, Vincent P. Vulaj, a resident of Bronx, New York, pleaded guilty to Theft of Government Property. When sentenced on December 16, 2014, Vulaj faces up to 10 years in prison. The guilty plea was announced by Loretta E. Lynch, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York and Jeremy Gauthier, Acting Special Agent in Charge of the Northeast Field Office, Naval Criminal Investigative Service (“NCIS”).

According to court filings and facts presented during the plea proceeding, between 2009 and 2013, while working as a Staff Sergeant at the 2nd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment, Marine Corps Reserves Base in Garden City, New York, Vulaj stole property belonging to the Department of Defense worth more than $880,000, and sold it on eBay.com. The stolen items included tactical helmets, goggles, jackets, vests, sleep systems and backpacks. The Marine Corps Reserves discovered the thefts and reported it to NCIS for investigation. NCIS investigators then purchased some of the stolen equipment online and traced the transactions back to Vulaj. In September 2013, Vulaj was discharged to Individual Ready Reserve (“IRR”) status with the Marine Corps Reserve. Individuals placed on IRR status are subject to recall to active military service.
View Quote

Fuck yeah, my old regiment!
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can beat that.  Ft Hood MP's ran a motorcycle theft ring for almost a year on base. They would do all the stealing while on patrol in marked cars.
View Quote

Click To View Spoiler

i made a stop in killeen to visit my sister. husband was stationed at hood at the time as a 91b. he was stuck on base because of a lockdown. turned out weapons were missing from the armory and those involved were in a crime ring with gang association.

my sister's husband's garage was full of tools he stole himself. seems like that base was/is a bastion of thievery. to think, i got a load of shit because i was missing one glove insert during turn-in. i didn't want to deal with it and it was taken out of my pay. that piece of crap was 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can you come back in 6 days?
That's how long it's going to be before I can take a dump & give them back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

CID does, yes

View Quote

because many times, soldiers are careless and leave their signed for shit laying around unsecured, and some asshole steals it. ot, as is the case many, many times in the military, equipment gets loaned out to random units and random people, who leave it laying around, or, things get handed off to other people, and or, you have private dumbass cleaning up and hes mopping the supply room / commo room / arms room, or someone has to go to one of those rooms, and snags something and stuffs it into their cargo pocket....   shit happens, people steal stuff. sometimes its noticed within seconds, sometimes hours, and sometimes months.. depending on how well things are inventoried.

they are pretty psycho about inventories though. I know of several higher ups in the national guard, / guys in charge of a armory that all lost their jobs over a arms room guy not inventorying shit correctly, and they signed off on everything.. only to discover some guy from another unit still had some night vision goggles in his gear..... when he went to return them, ( after having them a length of time, weeks IIRC ) everything blew up and a bunch of people, arms room nco, full timer in charge of the armory, and IIRC company commander all got sacked, when it came to light.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

lo fucking l.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes they will and the buyer is out of however much they paid.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top