Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not like to have my rifles engraved when I SBR it.
I'm not technically making the firearm since it is already a firearm, I'm just making it legal to use a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm open to anything that will reduce the ridiculous wait time.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What He is saying is that all this is Unconstitutional BS.

It should be just like it was in 1933, I can go into the general store and buy a MG just like I bought a pair of pants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lets see 1934=$200 2012=$3384.92
So in 1934 a mg stamp would of cost $3384
How many stamps were sold in 34'? I bet none.
So they basically outlawed mg's in 34'.
I just don't think this will go the way all you hope.

What He is saying is that all this is Unconstitutional BS.

It should be just like it was in 1933, I can go into the general store and buy a MG just like I bought a pair of pants.

Yuuup!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you can pass a nics check and a get handgun purchase permit you should be able to buy a darn SBR over the counter.
View Quote

THIS....
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
They just want to streamlined the process.

Typing and mailing Form 1 now = 2 hours
Doing it on the internet = 15 minutes

Waiting for your aprroval = still 6-8 months
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
SBR, SBS, Suppressor, AOW - Walk in to store, NICS check, $200 tax stamp, pay for item, FFL sends notice of the transfer to the local CLEO and leave with item.  Done.  15 minutes tops.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
This was rumored to be in the works last fall for being at this stage back in January.  Sandy Hook killed that and I'm honestly surprised it's come back so soon.  Guess everyone complaining to Congress about the wait times does have an effect.

I'd love to see SBRs, SBSs and cans handled completely at a Class III FFL.  The technology (NICS) to support such a change is in place and such a change in procedures could easily be made.  Besides eliminating the extensive wait for buyers it would remove a tremendous burden from ATF.ATF is understaffed and the idea for doing this is an ATF idea to allow them move people around to do more "core mission tasks" without additional hiring.

Coupled with the yesterday's "BATFE requests input" thread it seems like reality has hit them and changing how they do business has been accepted as needed.  I hope it comes to pass.  I'd love to be able to quickly get stamps for a couple of SBRs I want to build and avoid the added expense of having to build them as pistols to stay legal until the stamps arrive.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Except adjusting the fee for inflation.  I can wait, I can't drop a couple thousand on a stamp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except adjusting the fee for inflation.  I can wait, I can't drop a couple thousand on a stamp.

The ATF likes money. Adjusting the rate would cost them money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This was rumored to be in the works last fall for being at this stage back in January.  Sandy Hook killed that and I'm honestly surprised it's come back so soon.  Guess everyone complaining to Congress about the wait times does have an effect.

I'd love to see SBRs, SBSs and cans handled completely at a Class III FFL.  The technology (NICS) to support such a change is in place and such a change in procedures could easily be made.  Besides eliminating the extensive wait for buyers it would remove a tremendous burden from ATF.ATF is understaffed and the idea for doing this is an ATF idea to allow them move people around to do more "core mission tasks" without additional hiring.

Coupled with the yesterday's "BATFE requests input" thread it seems like reality has hit them and changing how they do business has been accepted as needed.  I hope it comes to pass.  I'd love to be able to quickly get stamps for a couple of SBRs I want to build and avoid the added expense of having to build them as pistols to stay legal until the stamps arrive.
View Quote

I think moving stuff off of the restricted list is possible.

But you're going to get UBC in the process.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you can pass a nics check and a get handgun purchase permit you should be able to buy a darn SBR over the counter.
View Quote

oddly enough....at least last year......if you xfer NFA to a corp/trust the person who pics it up has to do a 4473 and a NICS.   So ATF kinda sorta already allows 'Xfer" via NICS....so IMO no reason not to with ANY NFA item.

If they balk at the suggestion just point out that they already do it....  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Dear ATF,

I would like to start off by saying please go choke to death on a 55 gallon drum full of dicks.  Next I would like you to read this:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
View Quote

If that choking on a drum full of dicks part is taken care of I guess we shall just disband your stupid agency and toss out the entire NFA system.  

Please do not make me wait over 6 months for this you bureaucratic assholes.   Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]
"You can have your short barreled rifles as cash and carry. However, you are now limited to ten round magazines, no caliber bigger than .22LR, and you must consent to an anal exam every month. Without lube."

That's how it would probably work.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shit,you'll be lucky to have any AR or shotgun in NY.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want a 14" short barrled shotgun and a 12.5" AR  

Shit,you'll be lucky to have any AR or shotgun in NY.  

Why do you crush my dreams then rape me without a condom?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]
ATF deciding to have forum on changing the rules?

I guess "No taxation without representation" doesn't apply to the way taxes are collected or how the stamps are "approved" and delivered in a "timely manner".

Rights delayed are rights denied.  The whole process is fucked up, and will continue to be so.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

what is a hand gun permit?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cash and carry is great but what if I want to build my own?

Brad
View Quote

Very easy:

1. Find a 07/02 FFL.
2. Give him your receiver and upper or barrel.
3. FFL engraves the receiver and builds the SBR/SBS.
4. Pay for the stamp and service.
5. Go home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is this "permit" you speak of?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

most be a state thing, Im so happy I dont live in Mn any more
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a couple of Class 3 items and would add more if it weren't for the fucking hassle of acquiring one.  If I could go and pick up an SBR, SBS, or suppressor the same day; I would buy a heck of a lot more of them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I ain't holding my breath.  If anything, we will get dicked somehow.

So I guess I'll just keep waiting forfuckingever for my stamps to come back.  Pay 200 dollars for them to rape my freedoms.  Fuck the ATF.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I want SBRs in my state, period . Not having to wait 89690 months would be great, too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can easily build a 14" Mossberg that isn't NFA

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wrist hurts looking at that
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That has a good ring to it. Too bad that wording was never put into a/the governing law of the land somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your an American citizen you should be able to buy a darn SBR over the counter.

FIFY

This..

However, at this rate I will take them changing what is "considered" an SBR. So speaking in terms of AR; I think it makes sense to push for no forms or stamp being required, as long as the barrels OAL is at least 13.7".

If their new means of doing things will take out some redundancy, that's obviously a plus. I think if you already have NFA items registered to you, they should just run an FBI check to see if any disqualifying charges emerge, then just make you pay for the processing, and a reduced stamp. That's it..

Either way, baby steps people..
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would be nice if they included suppressors in the bundle.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Nothing good ever comes from the ATF.

Nothing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Agreed.

No reason for what they do to take 6 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your an American citizen you should be able to buy a darn SBR over the counter.

FIFY

Agreed.

No reason for what they do to take 6 months.

Yes!  

It should be just another option.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#28]
As a start, suppressors have no business being an NFA item anyway.

And that's just a start.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
As a start, suppressors have no business being an NFA item anyway.

And that's just a start.
View Quote

Or we could start with the fact NFA has no business being law, by various courts own rulings.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Design a portal
1. Apply online
2. Backend with NICS check
3. Approved/Disapproved/ Verification Failed
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Download stamp or Mail a copy or both

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Start using NFA in less than a week

WIN/WIN  
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They make it easier to get more taxes I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the catch?

They make it easier to get more taxes I guess.

If it wasn't months upon months of bullshit per form id have all sorts of toys. I just don't want to lay out a massive amount of money to wait close to a year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Change what is considered short barreled to say below 14 inches or just do away with the paper work and just collect the tax at the time of sale.
View Quote

that would require rewriting the statute. Unfortunately the barrel lengths are fixed in the statute.  this is all about theoretically improving the payment and approval process.

probably they are trying to f*** a somehow though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, the wait bother me more than the tax.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

that would require rewriting the statute. Unfortunately the barrel lengths are fixed in the statute.  this is all about theoretically improving the payment and approval process.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Change what is considered short barreled to say below 14 inches or just do away with the paper work and just collect the tax at the time of sale.

The ATF could still change the way barrel length is measured since that is not given in the statute.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If not for application and wait time BS I would have SBRs and cans. I'm super lazy about that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, it really is pointless at this point. If you can pass the NCIS check what does the NFA process do?

Anyone want to try to defend why people should have to pay a $200 tax to slap their 10.5" upper on the gun?

Why not a $200 tax for all 'assault weapons'?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It would be nice if I could get my paper work back faster then it takes to make a human child, from start to finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It would be nice if I could get my paper work back faster then it takes to make a human child, from start to finish.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it really is pointless at this point. If you can pass the NCIS check what does the NFA process do?

Anyone want to try to defend why people should have to pay a $200 tax to slap their 10.5" upper on the gun?

Why not a $200 tax for all 'assault weapons'?

Don't give them ideas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

SBR, SBS, Suppressor, AOW, MG - Walk in to store, NICS check, $200 tax stamp, pay for item, FFL sends notice of the transfer to the local CLEO and leave with item.  Done.  15 minutes tops.
View Quote

In my ideal world...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Which amendment to the constitution gave congress the authority to create an agency that regulates alcohol, tobacco and firearms?

...Yeah, they should get that shit sorted out first.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In MN you have to get a "pistol purchase permit" (ID card w/additional background check) to buy a handgun or assault rifle.

If you have a CCW that works as your permit to purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In MN you have to get a "pistol purchase permit" (ID card w/additional background check) to buy a handgun or assault rifle.

Thankfully most states don't have such hassles with handgun purchases. Just fill out the form and get the NICS, or if private sale just hand over money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Which amendment to the constitution gave congress the authority to create an agency that regulates alcohol, tobacco and firearms?

...Yeah, they should get that shit sorted out first.
View Quote

Not an amendment but Necessary and Proper clause.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. I had no idea Minnesota required that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Inflation doesn't really tell the whole story of just how much more it was back then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets see 1934=$200 2012=$3384.92
So in 1934 a mg stamp would of cost $3384
How many stamps were sold in 34'? I bet none.
So they basically outlawed mg's in 34'.
I just don't think this will go the way all you hope.

Inflation doesn't really tell the whole story of just how much more it was back then.

This. The average American was 4 times poorer back then (or similar). So divide the average 2013 American's wage by 4, and then assume the tax costs $3384. It was very expensive back then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#45]
errr...me too...but those dang state laws...

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:08:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Anything that speeds up the process in fine by me. These wait times are getting ridicules.

I think too after your first stamp, there should something streamlined and instant for the subsequent stamps. If you jumped through the hoop once, the next stamp should be nothing more than something like the nics call-in only with a $200 stamp charge, taking maybe a few days to get your stamp mailed to you.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's what I emailed to Gary at the BATF

Good morning Gary – I have a suggestion on the revision of the BATF Form 1 (5320.1). The requirement of engraving of the Form 1 maker's name, city and state on an already manufactured firearm is redundant and also costly and time consuming for the person registering to make a Form 1 firearm. All of the information to trace the firearm is already present on the gun.

Let's say you have a Colt AR15 Model 6920 lower receiver with serial number LE123456 that you want to SBR on a Form 1. Engraving the SBR's maker name, city and state on the firearm doesn't allow the BATF to trace this gun better. The Colt manufacturer markings and already present serial number are plenty sufficient to track this gun in the BATF NFA database, and the Form 1 maker is listed on the approved Form 1. So the BATF already has all the information they need without the extra step of forcing the Form 1 maker to engrave his name, city and state on the firearm. In addition, total cost to the Form 1 maker just for engraving and shipping is around $100, also taking weeks for turn-around, and it increases risk of the firearm being lost or stolen in transit when being shipped back and forth to the engraver.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:28:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Or they could open an amnesty period and after it closes, no manufacture can produce a sbr,dd, aow, sbs, or suppresor for civilian ownership.... Sound familiar
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#49]
I sent an email, figured what the hell.

Now I am about to go to my local PD and get my Form 4 stuff signed off and my fingerprints taken so I can get my suppressor......by February
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I sent an email, figured what the hell.

Now I am about to go to my local PD and get my Form 4 stuff signed off and my fingerprints taken so I can get my suppressor......by February
View Quote

More like April if you submit the forms now.  Current turn around time seems to be around 9 months.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top