Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who still uses capacitors?

This isn't 1998.

Anyone who runs 2 or more amps should be running a cap...
unless you like the look of dimming headlights...?

Are you fucking serious?

Ever heard of high output alternator and a big 3 upgrade?

Yes capacitors are so useful...thats why all the top DB Drag vehicles use them...oh wait...

well some people build stereos to listen to them.    

so what youre saying is, id be high speed, low drag too if i bought a SCAR...AWESOME.  your logic fails...

Please don't attempt to claim that capacitors offer a SQ improvement...

caps offer a power management improvement.

Yay, for a rational retort!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
saw the pics and simply skipped down to reply .  

I remember when i was into this.

if someone has blasted you for you choice of products..  

let it go.    

i remember having good and crappy stuff. < not making a statement on your choice >

thinking back on it..  

it was all fun..

the good..  the bad..  

all of it.

enjoy it .  

some people want high DB numbers.  
some people want high quality sound..
some people want to do somethng with thier hands
some people wanna simply enjoy ..

have fun man!

edit:

exposed wires.. thats the one thing i could never stand..

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Way to ruin it for the rest of us dick...I was just starting to feel better about myself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you have dimming headlights, you're taxing your electrical system too much.
The solution doesn't lie in a capacitor.

There really isn't much (if any) practical use for a storage capacitor in OP's system.

Incorrect.

There is nothing regulating the voltage to the headlights. Therefore they will dim naturally when the voltage of their power supply drops. Going from the 14.4v that the alternator supplies under a small load to a perfectly normal 12v that it might supply(with the battery backing it up) under a medium load will cause the lights to dim and there is nothing wrong with that. "Too much" would be when the voltage in your vehicle starts dropping to ~10v or less.

You are right about the capacitor though. They really aren't needed. Amplifiers have enough capacitance built into them to handle the dynamics of music. If you are exhausting your power supply adding a capacitor will only increase the demand on the power supply and lower your voltage potential.

As for the original posters "2400w" its really only 1010w RMS. Not much power at all. Shouldn't require a power supply upgrade unless the vehicle has a very small alternator.  The 0awg power is overkill for that. Nothing wrong with that but a 4awg wire would have been perfectly fine unless you had like a 25ft run of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking the 0ga. was ground coming off the distribution block to the chassis.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's with the coffee grinder?

What?

That's a capacitor

Ahhh.  Nice capacitor!

With the BFL on it it must be a Flux capacitor
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top