User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
[size=2]
Quoted:
OMG!  If you don't want to lose weight, then go ahead and listen to these people who are telling you to eat more carbs.  Your body converts carbs into glucose faster than it can convert pure sugar into glucose.
View Quote

You missed the point.  Eating less carbohydrates than your body needs is the problem with this diet.  And you might want to review your knowledge of carbohydrates, what do you think sugar is made of.

Some people can't stand atkins because it is contrary to everything that's ever been taught in college nutrition classes.  It blows the food pyramid away, along with the rest of conventional thought.
View Quote

If people never strayed from convential thought how quickly would society advance?  Or maybe you also think the earth is flat.

I stayed right at 20-30 grams of carbs per day, with no sugar, for 6 weeks and lost 30 pounds.  I've been off for four months and I haven't gained anything back because I stay away from beer and soft-drinks.
View Quote

Good for you, you seem to have made great improvements and have managed to keep the simple carbohydrates out of your diet for the most part, not many people can say the same. I realy mean this.

But the point of the atkins diet, or other diets that tell you cut carbs to almost nothing and increase protien being bad is that it affects the ballance of the bodies systems.  It all depends on how much you want to risk in order to lose weight.  By all means don't overindulge yourself in carbohydrates, it will cause you to get fat, but don't cut them out of your diet because you do need them. [/size=2]

Azaria
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
BigFukenE:

Body Building isn't the real world, is it?  

Without debating the merits of the physical condition of body builders and the long term effects of "getting ripped" (let alone steroids), you would certainly have to admit that the goals of a body builder are different than the goals of a normal person trying to lose some weight, right?

It's kind of like Competition shooting, what works there isn't necessarily the best for a combat weapon.

So I'll take the word of a Cardiologist (Dr. Atkins) over the improv theories of body builders.  Those theories may work just fine for some people in body building (I'll take your word for it), but that isn't the real world for the rest of us.

Trust me, I can vouch for all the weight Forest has lost on the Atkins diet.  I loaned him the book.  Also, he's gotten off several of his meds for diabetes.  Can't slam those results, can we?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Jew, I won't argue the dieting advice. I went from 205lbs at 5-9 and 20% bodyfat to 175 and 11% bodyfat by eating 200 grams of protien, up to 50 carbs , and lifting 3 times a week and running 3 times a week. Bench went from 225 to 325. This took 12 months. The only thing I might be able to add is that when I tried creatine I would hold 10 lbs of water. I felt bloated all the time. Could the creatine be limiting your weight loss? I know it works for lots of people, but not for me. Also, I can drop 5 lbs in 3-4 days by eliminating all carbs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
WARNING!!!!

Most of these guys are giving you diet advice for just losing weight or body shaping. I told you earlier and I'll try once more,,, You need to stick with the food pyrimid and new serving portions as directed in the new information from the American Institute of Cancer Research:

[url]http://www.aicr.org/[/url]

We now know more than ever about both the short and long term benifits of a proper diet. It is absolutely essential that you eat the green stuff, and various other related items, to get fit and stay healthy

All this other stuff is just a fad, if you will, and will only serve to give you a quick fix. You can go ahead and try it and then convert over when you get to your ideal weight.

Cancer is in your blood right now. The only thing that is keeping it from growing rampid is your body's ability to fight it off. You can screw around with the octane level in your car cause you can always get another one, but don't screw around with what you eat. You'll wish you hadn't when they have to nuke your body.

I'm not going to bicker with anybody about this cause there is nothing to argue about.

The world is not flat. There have been many new developments in the area of nutrition. Get on board ASAP.

You've been warned.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, this topic got popular.  Ok, here's my NEW game plan...for now:

-Protein shake will consist of 8oz. Milk/8oz. Water + 2 scoops powder, instead of 16.oz Milk and 1 scoop.  Good Lord, does it taste nasty though...
-Going to start back with the chicken fajitas, every now and again, that I used to do all the time.  One meal is 3oz. chicken, green peppers, and a flour shell + some roasted chicken to fill me up.
-Have a George Foreman Fat-Grilling machine, which I use all the time, so to save cash I'm going to start making some hamburger steaks (i.e. no bread) with cheese to lighten up my budget a little bit.
-Upped my cardio from 20 minutes to 30.  A bit rough on me, but it'll whip me into shape easier and faster.

New Daily Totals?
[b]150gr. Protein
60-75gr. Carbs[/b]

I'm sacrificing here, so now if somebody tells me that 70gr of Carbs (as compared to my normal 330gr) isn't going to not allow me to drop about 6 pounds of body fat (my 2% goal) in 2 weeks, I swear I'm going to put another hole in the dry wall  [%|]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
What does your daily workout program look like? That might be the reason. I tried this new program out that I got from GNC. It works really good. I'll show it to you if you want.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Forest is right,  you WON'T feel like shit.  You might rebound but a lot don't.  When I went on Atkins I had WAY more energy and stamina than previously. There was no truth to the rumours that you can't think well or anything.  I noticed no difference.

Jewbroni; Forest is right,  don't worry about a certain amount of protein, just dump all the carbs.

Crash.

Quoted:

Atkins, waste of time, you'll always rebound, you will also feel like shit due to lack of carbs.
View Quote

Funny when I stopped doing all those carbs how much BETTER I felt.  The heat doesn't bother me nearly as much and I'm losing weight and got energy for exercise.  Rebound? Only if I go back to overeating carbs again.  We in the US do eat WAY too much sugar and white flour.

Jewbroni:  Don't worry about how many grams of Protein you are eating.  Just be sure of keeping the Carbs down.  Stuff you can eat:
Cold Cuts
Tuna Fish (yes you can have the Mayo)
Salad (just watch what is in the dressing vinegar & oil are lowest in Carbs)
Caned Chicken
McDonald $1 double cheeseburgers - you just don't eat the bun and order them without ketchup.

Get creative.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife lost 50 pounds on the Atkins diet, plus it helped her Fibromyalgia.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Unless you're a calf you shouldn't be drinking milk. Avoid skim milk at all costs.

2. Be careful of protein bars and powders. Some are actually high in carbs but because some ingredients don't get counted the carb count listed is lower then it actually is.

3. If you're doing low/no carbs you MUST replace the carbs with fats.

4. Increase your exercise.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Bacon for breakfast.

Bacon Lettuce Tomato for lunch.

I drinks my dinner.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Jewie....buddie....I've never been much on a fixed DIET.[b]Just eat smart= NO DING-DONGS or TWINKIES "stuffs" kinda attitude.[/b]These things take time..losing weight and keeping it off.Go to [b]ExRx.net[/b][bounce] maybe you can find additional advice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Simple or complex carbs makes no difference. They both end up as glucose a few minutes after eating them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
i'll back Forest on this one.

but i gotta tell ya, less than 30 minutes of running??  WTF???  you gotta get in better shape, my friend.  

you don't get an improvement in aerobic fitness until you hit 30+ minutes.

when you can crank through 5 miles a day, you'll be doing yourself some good and you won't even think about it.  takes less than an hour to knock out.

just pretend your ass is in Basic Training and hum some cadences while you run.  ;-]

scott out
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of summers ago, back when I was still lifting fairly heavy, I dieted for 3 weeks for a certain "neighborhood function" that everyone in town comes out of the woodwork for.
I cut out [b]ALL[/b] carbohydrates 6 days a week, and allowed myself minimal carbs on Sundays. I rode the stationary bike at least 45 minutes a day 5 days a week, while still lifting heavy but changing my routine to do higher reps and a lower weight. I did weights in the mornings, and cardio at night. Some people may get better results by doing the opposite, but this is what I felt would work for me. At a body weight of 210+, I was also ingesting 380+ grams of quality protein a day, and would eat 6 times a day.

The diet kicked my behind!! I was getting delirious from the lack of carbs, combined with thermogenic "supplements" and other unhealthies. I cut out all caffiene and all nicotine and alcohol too. I stuck it out, though, and it WORKED. My weight went down, my muscles stayed. I've never been that ripped, and I probably never will be again.[:(]

I ended up getting quite a bit of attention at that neighborhood function, the womenz seem to like a more muscular, tanned body for some reason...

Why don't you do some Jew-Jitsu for cardio?[;)]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Jewbroni.

Ok, wow, so many posts have appeared, I'll try to keep up.

First off, looks like youre moving in the right direction. Although I still insist, among others, that you increase your protein intake. 2g per Lb. of bodyweight.

No Milk, No Milk, No Milk.

I'm not into the Arnold fantasy, and plan to compete once a year until I qualify for the Junior Nationals.  I mainly and mostly remain in offseason status. I only get lean for a show, taking around 12-14 weeks.

I can tell you that if you increase your caloric intake, spread into 7-8 meals, youre garunteed to allow for more calories.  This is because you'll turn your digestive tract into a non stop machine, thus allowing carbs, all non-refined and complex, and ample protein to remain in a hypertrophic state.

Not that you have to try and be a freak, I'm by all means an extremist, but without maintaining that anti-catabolic, anabolic, and hypertrophic state, you will NEVER move out of a platuea.

This means at one point your efforts will become useless, and yout time will begin to be wasted.  As you change your bodys metabolism, youre caloric intake of macro/micro nutrients changes.

The goal is not the scale, its not even the mirror, its only the metabolism.  After 7 long tiring years, I can change the esthetics of my physique quite dramatically in short periods of time.

My words..

thanks.

E
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top