Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what our Founding Fathers would think regarding the country that the USA has become if they were alive today?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Show them the Penn and Teller skit about the comma and the second amendment.

Militia is wholey separate part and has zero to do with the the people's right to bear arms.

Kind of like freedom of religion and freedom of the press. You don't have freedom from the religious press.

Punctuation matters.

This one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx23c84obwQ
View Quote

#commasmatter
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I think I found your problem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am currently engaged in the never-ending battle with a liberal

I think I found your problem.

Yep, you'll get nowhere arguing with Bill O'Reilly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tell him the purpose of the 2A was to ensure civilians could have weapons of war. Muskets were the weapons of war of the day
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately arguing this is pointless, because he knows what "Shall not be infringed" means. He's dishonest and doesn't want to admit he just does not want you to have guns, period. He doesn't care what the Constitution says or means, in any shape or form.

He has already admitted that he does not want civilians to own "weapons of war". Yes he used that phrase. I think he gets his facts from CNN.

Tell him the purpose of the 2A was to ensure civilians could have weapons of war. Muskets were the weapons of war of the day

Shotguns, pistols, and bolt action rifles are also "weapons of war".  Does he want those firearms banned too?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shotguns, pistols, and bolt action rifles are also "weapons of war".  Does he want those firearms banned too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unfortunately arguing this is pointless, because he knows what "Shall not be infringed" means. He's dishonest and doesn't want to admit he just does not want you to have guns, period. He doesn't care what the Constitution says or means, in any shape or form.

He has already admitted that he does not want civilians to own "weapons of war". Yes he used that phrase. I think he gets his facts from CNN.

Probally
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought regulated meant disciplined and trained, proficient with arms, etc. Whatever it was the founders thought it was necessary for the security of a free state.
View Quote

correct, get to the range and practice at a minimum.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder what our Founding Fathers would think regarding the country that the USA has become if they were alive today?
View Quote

They would have advocated armed rebellion decades ago, at the least. They rebelled and seceded over far less than what our government does today.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They'd commit suicide.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They'd commit suicide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They'd commit suicide.

They'd be surprised it has lasted as long as it has.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In United States v. Cruikshank (1875), the Supreme Court ruled that "[t]he right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendment means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government."

It has jack shit to do with the militia.  The Government had the power to raise and arm armies before the bill of rights ever passed.  It doesn't grant a militia rights...you don't need an amendment to do that.  It prevents the Government from infringing on individual rights.  Period.
View Quote

Mike, well said, now if somebody would just explain it to that gum ball machine Bill O'reilly on Fox news.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials"-George Mason

Militias were bodies of the states, hence the 2nd provides a means for the states to oppose a tyrannical federal government.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'd commit suicide.

Ben Frankin yes, but I doubt that otherwise: They literally paid dearly for it with that "pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor...". It would've been a much easier life for most if they stayed British.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The law according to Heller vs. DC:

The Second Amendment is naturally divided into two parts: its prefatory clause and its operative clause. The
former does not limit the latter grammatically, but rather announces a purpose. The Amendment could be rephrased,
“Because a well regulated Militia is necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.”
View Quote

Right.  And that is why an AR15 needs to be thought of as.........

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They would have advocated armed rebellion decades ago, at the least. They rebelled and seceded over far less than what our government does today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LONGGGGG TIME AGO...

they were men with very short fuses.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A LONGGGGG TIME AGO...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LONGGGGG TIME AGO...

I don't believe they had short fuses. If they had, they would not have written

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.    

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials"-George Mason

Militias were bodies of the states, hence the 2nd provides a means for the states to oppose a tyrannical federal government.

View Quote

Yep, and because militias are not regular forces, you are much more likely to have a militia that can shoot and be organized quickly if the people are armed and can freely engage in marksmanship activities (this is also why the Swiss militiamen get to take their weapons home and ranges are ubiquitous).  It was expected that State military forces combined would outweigh Federal military forces.  

It's a laughable notion now, as the State militias are all tiny and pathetic, even the few decent ones, and a good chunk of the States don't have one at all except on paper.  Any State forced would be denigrated and have its recruitment drawn away by the Federal military, and no State would be willing to fund a properly sized and equipped militia today (you need vehicles, boats, combat aircraft, artillery, etc., not just small arms), anyways, especially without the Federal funds that would almost certainly not be provided (and could be used as a weapon by the Feds like other funding to the States).  I doubt any State would be willing to use conscription, which is the only way to deal with the obvious recruitment issues and get a militia to be a decent size (which is why the States originally used the concept of universal obligation in the first place; the "unorganized militia" concept is basically the legal basis for conscription into an organized State military force).

The thing is, the protections against tyranny afforded by the RKBA require the existence of the militia that doesn't exist today. It's not enough to have private arms.  Armed men need to be organized, trained, led, equipped, etc., and in sufficient numbers to accomplish things, and the States need to have the guts to use them.  That's why the prefatory clause states that a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of a free state, because ultimately it is.  It's also why the Anti-Federalists, plus certain Federalists, fought hard to prevent the militia from being a national force or being done away with altogether, and insisted on RKBA protections despite no power being granted to infringe upon the RKBA, because having recently dealt with it on the part of Parliament, they knew that the usurpation of powers not held was a real risk.  The RKBA is only one part of the whole.  It is vital, but is not sufficient by itself.

And ultimately, in this context, it is clear that martial arms are the most protected of all.  Personal self-defence, while important, is not the most important component of the purpose of the Second Amendment's protections, despite the Heller ruling to the contrary.  It is the military purpose that is first and foremost, to be wielded in defence of a free state, whether from threats within or without.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LONGGGGG TIME AGO...

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.    

It took almost a decade of abuses to get them to act, and they were pleading as loyal subjects to the Crown to the very last minute, and even for some time after the fighting had begun.  But the impetus as very minor compared to what the Feds, and even most State governments, do today.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:03:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
At the time of the Bill of Rights writing "well regulated" meant highly functional or efficient.

But that's not the point.

A functional and efficient army is not only suggested but it's necessary for a free nation. Therefore since the army drafts it's soldiers from the men between the ages of 18 and 37 the right of those people to keep and bear arms in public shall not be hindered.
View Quote

The militia is not the Army.  It is a separate military force (at the time, 13 or 14 separate military forces, actually) with a very different character from regular or reserve military forces based on much broader conscription.  In the constitution it is made distinct from the national military forces, including the armies Congress was granted the power to raise, with armies of regular troops being prohibited, separately from the militias preserved to them, to the States without the consent of Congress.  Not even the National Guard qualifies as the militia described in the Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's an article I wrote over 20 years ago on talk.politics.guns...

http://xring.com/2013/12/02/an-old-post-resurrected-on-the-usage-of-the-term-well-regulated-in-early-congressional-debates/

A great deal of debate has centered on the phrase ‘A well-regulated militia

being necessary to the security of a free State’, in the Second Amendment

to the US Constitution.  Those who are arguing for more restrictions on

firearms generally argue that this phrase limits the right to bear arms

to those who are in a well-regulated militia, and claim that this is

synonymous with a militia under government control, and claim that this

means the modern day National Guard.  Those arguing against further

restrictions, and for the repeal of at least some current restrictions,

frequently point to early dictionaries referring to well-regulated clocks,

appetites, and shotgun bores, in which the term means ‘properly functioning’

or ‘properly aligned’.  Well, to make life MORE fun, I’ve found several

places in the early Congressional debates, contemperaneous with the

adoption of the Second Amendment, where the term was used in reference

to a ‘well-regulated government’.  The only editing I have done is for

the purpose of fitting within a posting, but I’ve noticed one or two

places where the Library of Congress’  OCR software goofed (arc instead of

are, for instance), and left those intact.  Scanned images of the documents

are available at the Library of Congress site, in addition to the OCR version

I copied this from.

Enjoy!

The original usage I found when looking up something else, in the records of

the early Congressional debates as found at thomas.loc.gov.  This is from

page 314 of The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of

the Federal Constitution (Elliot’s Debates):

It is further said, that the operation of local interests should be

counteracted; for which purpose the Senate should be rendered permanent. I

conceive that the true interest of every state is the interest of the whole;

and that, if we should have a well-regulated government, this idea will

prevail. We shall, indeed, have few local interests to pursue, under the new

Constitution, because it limits the claims of the states by so close a line,

that on their part there can be but little dispute, and little worth disputing

about. But, sir, I conceive that partial interests will grow continually

weaker, because there are not those fundamental differences between the real

interests of the several states, which will long prevent their coming

together, and becoming uniform. Another argument advanced by the gentlemen is,

that our amendment would be the means of producing factions among the

electors; that aspiring men would misrepresent the conduct of a faithful

senator, and by intrigue procure a recall upon false grounds, in order to make

room for themselves. But, sir, men who are ambitious for places will rarely be

disposed to render those places unstable. A truly ambitious man will never do

this, unless he is mad. It is not to be supposed that a state will recall a

man once in twenty years, to make way for another. Dangers of this kind arc

very remote: I think they ought not to be brought seriously into view.

Another usage I found from the Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789,

from Monday, January 31, 1785, p.26:

"Mr. [Jacob] Read, to whom was referred a letter from the Comptroller of the

treasury with its enclosures stating that a number of the Certificates issued

by John Pierce Commissioner for liquidating the Claims of the Army, had been

counterfeited: beg leave to submit the following report. That the honor as

well as the interest of the federal government requires that the most

efficacious measures should be taken to discover the persons who have been

guilty of the said forgery, to the end that an Act which the laws of all well

regulated governments have marked as an offence may in future be prevented,

its injurious effects both to the United States and its Citizens as far as

possible restrained, and the Mischievous and wicked Authors of it brought to

punishment.–Whereupon resolved, that, the Comptroller be required to trace

the said certificates as far back as possible through their several possessors

on their progress to the Treasury.

And another usage:

We are told that both sides are distinguished by these great traits,

confidence and distrust. Perhaps there may be a less or greater tincture of

suspicion on one side than the other. But give me leave to say that, where

power can be safely lodged, if it be necessary, reason commands its cession.

In such case, it is imprudent and unsafe to withhold it. It is universally

admitted that it must be lodged in some hands or other. The question, then,

is, in what part of the government it ought to be placed; and not whether any

other political body, independent of the government, should have it or not. I

profess myself to have had a uniform zeal for a republican government. If the

honorable member, or any other person, conceives that my attachment to this

system arises from a different source, he is greatly mistaken. From the first

moment that my mind was capable of contemplating political subjects, I never,

till this moment, ceased wishing success to a well-regulated republican

government. The establishment of such in America was my most ardent desire. I

have considered attentively (and my consideration has been aided by

experience) the tendency of a relaxation of laws and a licentiousness

of manners.

>From p. 394 of Elliot’s Debates — Saturday, June 14, 1788, in a discussion

over how the powers over the militia should best be distributed.

Again, all of this was found at thomas.loc.gov (actually,

).

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#25]

i like this one the best

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:36:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Probably been said, but in that day well regulated meant practiced or proficient.  The militia in that day was every able bodied male.

Meaning every bodied male had to have an weapon of some type equivalent to any expected foe and had to be proficient in its use at any time if they were called into action.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The term "regulars" was a name for troops proficient and able for battle.

The term "well regulated" simply means that the militias were to be trained.
View Quote

And led.

Why does everyone speculate wildly about this all the time, instead of looking at all the correspondence George Washington wrote at the time that was specifically context around the phrase "well regulated militia"?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The fact that 1/4 of the nation would vote for a socialst lets you know how dire things are. The ony solution I see is if a few remaining conservative individual states could secede from the insanity before they too are hoplessly sucked into the liberal black hole.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, you have to approach leftists as you do toddlers.

They live in a pretend world, make up new words, ascribe new or inverse meanings to old words, and throw tantrums when their little worlds are intruded upon by reality.

They believe 2+2=5 because they want their world to work that way.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The thing does say "militia" which implies an armed force equipped with "weapons of war" rather than a bunch of single-shot hunting rifles.

But they worry about the placement of a comma instead,

Arguing with progressives is like arguing with flat-Earthers.
View Quote
Correct. The "well regulated militia" was there to let folks know that everyone was supposed to have the weapons of war, so that they could be available to protect their state in time of need.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kind of like freedom of religion and freedom of the press. You don't have freedom from the religious press.

View Quote

They have managed to redfine that as well to "freedom from religion".    
And very few people see the utility of rights flowing from God, and not men.
But they are better people than you, because they don't believe in some sky being.   They will tell you so.
And then they will tell you how upset they are that other men are restricting their harmless activities with laws and regulations whipped up at the whim of other men.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top