Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 Of course I doubt you really believe a private business can be forced to complete your transaction or accept what you believe is reasonable.  

You haven't read the Senator from New York's bill.
It requires the seller and the buyer to go to a licensee and to take the firearm with them.
It authorizes the AG to set the maximum amount which a licensee can charge for conducting a background check.

Now ask youself what is likely to happen to a licensee who refuses to conduct the checks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So, they polled the membership of MAIG?

Put a poll on this thread OP and we can claim that 97% of Americans want pie instead of background checks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Of course I doubt you really believe a private business can be forced to complete your transaction or accept what you believe is reasonable.  

You haven't read the Senator from New York's bill.
It requires the seller and the buyer to go to a licensee and to take the firearm with them.
It authorizes the AG to set the maximum amount which a licensee can charge for conducting a background check.

Now ask youself what is likely to happen to a licensee who refuses to conduct the checks.

He would get his license pulled of course and/or fined. Would the licensee be required under law to perform this service? If so that borderlines forced labor yes?
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think its true.

Yes it does make sense but the sad part is it only make sense if you know what the news tells you about them:

They are fast(Take less then 2mins)
Keep criminals and the insane from getting firearms they shouldnt have.
The NRA supported backround checks just a few years ago

Sounds great but what they dont know is:
Some places like DC charge up to $100 do do one
There are delays
The system is underfunded
The system is not complete

I got really pissed when LaPierre didnt drive home those last 2 points during the congressional hearing(atleast I didnt hear him) and also did explain why the NRA reversed its opinion.

He did however drive home those 2 points when I saw him on Meet the Press.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
What a crock of shit. You NEVER see scientific poll results on anything that high.

He may as well come out and said 100% of the people.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Most people have no fucking clue about gun ownership.

UBC sure sounds nice......and since they wont take the time to bother reading or researching the bill, as most americans have no fucking clue who chuck schumer is either

the AWB and mag bans arent palatable people dont like the ban word
UBC is so "safe" sounding and common sense
I love how in this day and age......a "majority" means.......LETS DO IT!!!! Mob rule, we are witnessing it.

It's the foot in the door...as other posters said.
Chuck has really outdone himself this time
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Misleading survey is misleading.  I would bet a fair percentage of those people actually believe that there is no background check whatsoever required to purchase a gun.

Years of government training...

Would be interesting to see how many think a person can drive down to a LGS and pick up a m60 or 2.

At least 47%
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#8]
They don't know what's in the bill.

Make me a felon for leaving the house for seven days, and I'll earn it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Poll added to settle it once and for all.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, we obviously should have had a better backround check on the corrent POTUS. Might have saved us some trouble. And we know Biden has been unstable for years. NO SOUP FOR YOU!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if we could get all non-blacks ? 89% to ask to repeal the 13th Amendment and bring back slavery then the politicians would do so?  This isn't a popularity contest.  The Second Amendment isn't negotiable just like slavery isn't negotiable.

This has been something that seems to have started (or at least was ramped up) with the Clinton administration, basing their policies on polling.
I'm not sure if intentional or not, but acting like we should do things politically just for popularity sake is dangerous to say the least.

+ 1
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#12]
47% of Americans can't even spell universal so I couldn't give a shit what they think.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#13]
2A is about Hunting.
My neighbor said so.

In before the Founding Fathers would be shooting......

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't care if 100% of the country wanted to infringe on my rights... fuck em.

We don't live in a democracy....  As Franklin said, "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

well said.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]
the gun grabbers continue to argue that UBC is not registration and is only to save children.  If that was true, they would have no problem with not keeping records.  The fact that they want tons of records points to their agenda
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Considering a good portion of young adults can't even find Australia on a globe, polls like these shouldn't suprise anyone
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And this is the source of their magic numbers. Paid for, of course, by maig.

http://www.politico.com/arena/bio/douglas_e_schoen.html

Never has a gun been tried (for being illegal).

Any firearm was legally PRODUCED.  ILLEGAL is the actions of criminals.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2A is about Hunting.
My neighbor said so.

In before the Founding Fathers would be shooting......

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, fishing tackle, and a plow shall not be infringed.

I hate your neighbor
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#19]
this is actually true - everybody wants background checks.

what they don't understand, because it is deliberately left out of the discussion is how it would actually have to work to be implemented. Polling for gun registry shows a different picture. The poll fails to explain that this would be required for universal background checks to be enforced.

so the poll is correct, because most people are ignorant.

Quoted:
According to the puppetmaster spaceman on Fox News Sunday.  That fucking tard wrangler is staying on his talking points.  

And fuck Chris Wallace too.  That POS is a gun grabber.  Not one difficult question.  Softballed him the whole way.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#20]
We could do background checks for lots of stuff, like crossing state borders....oh, you say you have a right to travel freely...think again.  Reasonable restrictions are not necessarily your friend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#21]

My brother does, he says if anybody wants to buy any of his guns they will be going to an FFL and filling out a 4473. Including and up to me, any of his friends, some are LEO and COs.    

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

what they don't understand, because it is deliberately left out of the discussion is how it would actually have to work to be implemented. Polling for gun registry shows a different picture. The poll fails to explain that this would be required for universal background checks to be enforced.

Quoted:
According to the puppetmaster spaceman on Fox News Sunday.  That fucking tard wrangler is staying on his talking points.  

And fuck Chris Wallace too.  That POS is a gun grabber.  Not one difficult question.  Softballed him the whole way.

I support background checks

However...

Universal background checks = registration
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
They asked  311,601,611 people if they wanted UBC and 286,673,482.12  said yes? I must have been outside when they called me, never the less what an undertaking that must have been. Bravo
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#24]
It might be a decent thing to make it all universal background checks. But here is the thing. The anti-gunners aren't interested in UBCs, they want a total ban on guns. They know they cannot just come out and have a total ban right away, so they're trying to take little bites out of it until they get what they want. So we cannot go for this, once UBC is passed, and there is more shootings, they'll just move onto something else to have banned.

If give them an inch, they'll take a mile.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I could believe that.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They asked  311,601,611 people if they wanted UBC and 286,673,482.12  said yes? I must have been outside when they called me, never the less what an undertaking that must have been. Bravo

Interesting. I didn't think there were that many people in this country that were over 18.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many polls like this are always intentionally worded in a way to deceive the voters so they can come out and try and use the poll results for political gain.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And this is the source of their magic numbers. Paid for, of course, by maig.

http://www.politico.com/arena/bio/douglas_e_schoen.html

Ah.  Schoen - noted lib.  Not doubt based on a NYC/long island sample.  In which case the other 2% are opposed to anything less than complete confiscation.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#29]
If you think YES or MAYBE, you don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Propaganda.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#31]
the problem with the gun debate, and polls in general, is you can get 80% of people to agree to tyranny if you phrase the question the right way.

we have background checks already in MD and the fact is, they dont work. Criminals still get guns because they dont buy them from the local store and wait 7 days (or more). I would like to see the numbers on how many times a background check has actually prevented a criminal from buying a gun. However, even those numbers would be skewed until you dig into them because I believe for a few years Ted Kennedy was actually incorrectly listed in the wrong group and failed the background check a few times until the problem was resolved.

Likewise I guess we would have to take into consideration the number of criminals who dont purchase guns legally because they would fail the check, and how many of them resort to buying them illegally because here in MD, criminals still have guns.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting. I didn't think there were that many people in this country that were over 18.

There was a age requirement on their poll? Oh Em Gee!

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#33]
What that poll actually means is that probably only about 20% of the respondents understood the purpose of the poll and how the results would be displayed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#34]
quite the strategy come out the door with "ole Diane screaming about bans, and bans and more bans

all the while, Mr. Schumer is working on backdoor registration wrapping it up all pretty, and selling after 3 months of combat against Feinstein
gotta love how these sleazy pricks operate
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 11:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a age requirement on their poll? Oh Em Gee!  

There are only about that many people in this country to start with. And I'll bet you we can find at least a few thousand that were NOT polled. Probably just about everybody on this board.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#36]
The 92% is a damning made up lie. Statistics can be twisted almost any way you want. I don't believe it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It might be a decent thing to make it all universal background checks. But here is the thing. The anti-gunners aren't interested in UBCs, they want a total ban on guns. They know they cannot just come out and have a total ban right away, so they're trying to take little bites out of it until they get what they want. So we cannot go for this, once UBC is passed, and there is more shootings, they'll just move onto something else to have banned.

If give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

They are masters of the art of incrementalism. They will never be satisfied and will keep biting and chewing away little bits, thinking no one will catch on, until there is absolutely nothing left.

Unless of course, we stop them.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think its true.

Yes it does make sense but the sad part is it only make sense if you know what the news tells you about them:

They are fast(Take less then 2mins)
Keep criminals and the insane from getting firearms they shouldnt have.
The NRA supported backround checks just a few years ago

Sounds great but what they dont know is:
Some places like DC charge up to $100 do do one
There are delays
The system is underfunded
The system is not complete

I got really pissed when LaPierre didnt drive home those last 2 points during the congressional hearing(atleast I didnt hear him) and also did explain why the NRA reversed its opinion.

He did however drive home those 2 points when I saw him on Meet the Press.

There's more to it.
Such as
*You want to give your rifle to your son he has to go through a back ground check (vice versa)
*You take a friend hunting he has no rifle, you lend him one, if its over 3 days he has to have a background check.
*Where all these background checks going to take place?  What will be the co$t of these checks
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#40]
None of these shootings involved firearms obtained by someone who couldnt pass a background check, then bought the firearm at a gunshow or private sale.

Passing a law for universal background checks has nothing to do with the crimes.

It creates a half assed registry, where they know who owns guns based on background check records.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Why cant universal ID be used to verify the legality of a voter?  That makes more sense to me.  The liberals always sing a different tune with that one.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#42]
the communist propaganda machine is in full swing on this one.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#43]
It will cost far more than it will benefit but that never stopped a fool.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

According to the puppetmaster spaceman on Fox News Sunday. That  tard wrangler is staying on his talking points.

And ---- Chris Wallace too. That --- is a gun grabber. Not one difficult question. Softballed him the whole way.

Dadgume '08ers!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#45]
This...........and most of those polls are taken with samples that will most often get the results those conducting the polls want

Quoted:
I'm betting most of those don't understand the implications of universal background checks. They think "Well..why WOULDN'T you do a background check when selling a gun?"

ETA: And the above...most people are idiots that think we just walk into a store, pick it out, pay for it and leave.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
the communist propaganda machine is in full swing on this one.

It's never stopped.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Most people don't think.

While most people DO want some form of UBC the argument here isn't the check itself as it is the list that will turn into a de facto registration that goes along with it that scares the hell out of the rest of us.

Frankly if there was a website that was open to the public most of us would use it. FWIW I will ONLY do FTF transfers with another CCW holder as it does serve as a check of some sort.

I try to do the same thing, but I know several very good people who refuse to have a carry permit. The reasoning is a tad convoluted, since their names all on a stack of 4473s, but I leave it alone.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
According to the puppetmaster spaceman on Fox News Sunday. That  tard wrangler is staying on his talking points.

And ---- Chris Wallace too. That --- is a gun grabber. Not one difficult question. Softballed him the whole way.

Dadgume '08ers!!!!!

Sorry preacher.

And on Easter of all days.  Sometimes my wife reminds me that I'm not on the flight deck anymore.
Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Why cant universal ID be used to verify the legality of a voter?  That makes more sense to me.  The liberals always sing a different tune with that one.

Because with a verifiable record of all voters it would be difficult to manipulate elections after they screen out those who have not legally earned or lost their right to vote or stop people from voting more than once. I mean, you know, not that it happens now or anything. But just in case they might ever want to in the future.

Link Posted: 3/31/2013 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Many polls like this are always intentionally worded in a way to deceive the voters so they can come out and try and use the poll results for political gain.

Polls are a joke, all you have to do is ask the crowd that will give you the results you want.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top