BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've been on test flights of 737-300/500 and DC-10-10's...

when they don't have a load of passengers, cargo and all that fuel, they can fly like you wouldn't believe.   I haven't gone vertical, but I've seen an awesome ROC

The DC-10-30F (Otherwise known as the KC-10) is a fucking rocketship when she's lightweight.  150,000 lbs of thrust'll do that!  I've seen 30+ degrees nose-up on takeoff just to maintain V2+10 and steady climb rates over 3,000 fpm on light jets.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A test pilot once rolled a 747....

I thought it was a 707?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When the 787 gets moving, it promises to be a real hotrod.

Its thrust to weight ratio (based on an empty plane, or carrying just fuel, for demonstration flights) is pretty sick,

approaching .5 to 1.   That's better than any fighter aircraft up until the 1970s.

Boeing is designing it to be efficient, of course, which means they're going to get all the load carrying capacity they can

out of a given engine, wing, and fuselage, so it won't have the most incredible thrust to weight ratio you've ever seen at

full load,  but that alone should be pretty impressive in its own right as it'll be able to haul a full 540,000 pound load along

with 140,000 pounds of thrust,  for a ratio of 3.85 pounds carried per pound of thrust.   That's pretty efficient.

Empty weight is 254,000 pounds.   Max fuel capacity is 220,158 pounds.

Flown light for demo purposes,  the 787 could turn in a pretty spectacular aerobatic demo, if Boeing decided to do so.

I hope they get things worked out and make the next Farnborough air show and knock Airbus's socks clean off.

CJ

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top