Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
For deer hunting,  I turn to my 6.8
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
FO!

I loved my 6.8, took out several hogs and a large whitetail. I regret selling it during the panic greatly.

They're a ton of fun if you can find ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm building a 6.8 right now. I'm on the last step now trying to figure out what to put on top of it. I bought the Bison Armory 18" and bolt off the EE.

What scope are you guys using? I'm thinking 3-10ish but definitely 30mm.
View Quote

How long did it take bison to get your barrel shipped out?

I built a 6.8 using one of his 16" match barrels in November of last year.

Got alot of run around but it finally made it 2 weeks longer then stated
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:42:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Nosler hand loads, 110gr Accubond, 2675fps 16" ARP Recon. My friend's kid, InfidelJoeBob on here, got his first kill with mine. One shot, dropped where it stood. Shot was lasered at just over 200 yards. Kid was 9, shot it with the Meprolight M21 ( triangle ) mounted. The boy is a crack shot though.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For all you guys who are deer hunting, are you shooting heart/lungs, shoulder or neck shots? I have shot 3 deer this year with my RRA 6.8 and only recovered one, NONE have left a blood trail. I have been shooting heart/ lung shots, first with Hornady SST, and Federal Fusions.
View Quote

My bullet list is in my post above.  I have taken every shot you listed.  Head, neck, and boiler room, all depending on distance and animal behavior.  I have never had an animal I could not find with a 6.8.  I watched all but 3 drop in view.  The ther three did not go far but it was too thick to watch them drop within 30 yards and all of those were with the SSA 110 pro hunter.  The 85g tsx is my favorite and has been a hit/flop round.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm building a 6.8 right now. I'm on the last step now trying to figure out what to put on top of it. I bought the Bison Armory 18" and bolt off the EE.

I wouldn't know because I purchased it on the EE here. How do you like the barrel so far?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh shit, look what showed up today.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Love the 6.8. Bison Armory 16" barrel i had cut to 12.5" for my sbr. Perfect round for hogs and whitetail hunting

1 shot DRT with SSA 100 gr Nosler Bonded.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What are 6.8s advantages over say a 7.62x39 AR for deer and hogs?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Been using one since Barrett started started plaYing with it at 5th Groups request. I love my 2 rifles. My first was an M468 upper. It still is a great shooter.

My second has a Daniel Defense barrel and shoots extremely well.  Very happy with it.
Both have dropped deer with no problems. Even though Tennessee has allowed the use of .223 projectiles for deer, I will continue to use the 6.8

Maybe I will get a chance to try it out on a hog soon.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time someone started one of these, the Grendel folks showed up talking about "pressure, danger Will Robinson, retained energy, BC" etc.  Where are they this time?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Love mine.

I purchased an assembled upper from Ko-Tonics (some here will recognize that name) before they went under and proceeded to attach it to a Spikes lower.

The rifle is more accurate than I will probably ever be.

Ko-Tonics story.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Well now, I realize asking ARFcom whether or not I should buy another upper/barrel/caliber, etc. is like asking a moonshiner if I should take up drinking . But the word has been spoken, and it is overwhelming in favor of my purchase. I will  report back when I get it to the range. Thanks to all of you chimed in, yeah thanks a fucking LOT! JK
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Last time someone started one of these, the Grendel folks showed up talking about "pressure, danger Will Robinson, retained energy, BC" etc.  Where are they this time?
View Quote

Out shooting at long range?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wouldn't know because I purchased it on the EE here. How do you like the barrel so far?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only have about 100 rds down the barrel now but jst about all reloads are under .5 moa.  Some bullets , loads down 3/8 moa.

And all bench work so far was done with a magpul ubr stock. I have since changed to the prs which should lead to improved groups

The ubr is a great stock just shitty for bench work...
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

walking around the range to collect all their brass?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 6.8 has projectiles available that will match or beat the Grendel for trajectory past 1000 yards given the same barrel length. The Grendel will still beat it in windage, though not by much.

Long range was not the intended purpose of the 6.8 so a lot of years went by before shooters started looking into projectiles that were heavier with a higher BC and with a low enough bullet / bore contact that it can still get sufficient velocity to use it.

Plus, the 6.5 bullets for weight are higher BC. There are more available bullets for the 6.5 with a high BC than there are for the .277. So I would still go 6.5 for long distance if that was what I shot more of. I wouldn't go Grendel at this point though. There are now better offerings, one that is a 200fps faster cartridge than the G with the same weights.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well now, I realize asking ARFcom whether or not I should buy another upper/barrel/caliber, etc. is like asking a moonshiner if I should take up drinking . But the word has been spoken, and it is overwhelming in favor of my purchase. I will  report back when I get it to the range. Thanks to all of you chimed in, yeah thanks a fucking LOT! JK
View Quote

Yep, we gonna make yer credit card asplode if you hang around here long enough.

It's been mentioned before, but the first place I'd start looking is ARP for a barrel/superbolt. Harrison makes good stuff and backs it up with good service. Sometimes you have to wait for restock...it's worth it.

You'll also want to bookmark this site: 68Forums

My ARP 6.8 rifle build shoot little-bitty groups with just about everything I've shot in it, with the only exception being SSA 110gr Sierra Prohunter ammo.

Welcome to the 6.8 Club.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top