Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
To my laymans eye it looks like the rounds through the windshield are OUTbound.  ie, the driver accidentally pulled the trigger.  You can see glass particles flying over the hood, and it doesn't look like back spray from shattering glass.

But i'm not experienced with how rounds through glass looks, i'm just guessing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.kvoa.com/global/story.asp?s=9816982

A homeowner, alerted of an impending home invasion by his security cameras, arms himself and takes matters into his hands last Thursday when four armed suspects attempt to break into his home.

The video the owner caught is incredible, and you can see it by watching the video link to the left. You see a vehicle pull up, and four men run out. One of them is carrying what appears to be an AR-15 or M-16, a weapon which could be fully automatic.

The robbery happened last Thursday in broad daylight at a home on West Vande Loo Street. All the action was caught by the homeowners outdoor surveillance system.

"The victim was able to get back inside his house, close his door, semi barricade it, reach for [a] weapon that was easily accessible," says Pima County Sheriff's Deputy Earl Gieron.

The homeowner shot at the suspects. He even put a bullet through the windshield of the suspects car, which is also caught on camera. The four men retreated and took off.  All of them remain on the run.

Sheriff's officials say the homeowner has surveillance cameras installed all around his house.

Dep. Gieron says, "That was just for his own security."

People living in the neighborhood heard all the gunshots, and saw the aftermath. Some stray bullets even hit a home across the street.    

One man says, "I was asleep around noon Thursday, and heard gunshots."

Lawrence Cruz lives down the street from where the attempted home invasion happened.

"I am very watchful where we live and I think everybody has right to defend their property," says Cruz.

Detectives did find the suspect's vehicle at a home near Cardinal and Valencia, but the four men are still on the run.

One of the suspects has been identified as 23-year-old Jesus Mendivil. It's believed he was shot in the arm.

The three other men are all described as Hispanic males between 17 and 25-years-old.

Anyone with information is asked to call 88-CRIME

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/279486.php

The Pima County Sheriff’s Department is working to locate four men who busted into a Southwest Side home Thursday armed with guns.
One of the young men has been identified as Jesus Gabriel Mendivil but he has not been arrested, said Deputy Dawn Barkman, a Pima County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman.
The invaders were armed with handguns and an assault rifle but the homeowner was able to keep the men from coming in by retrieving a handgun and firing at them, the Sheriff’s Department said.
Surveillance video taken from outside of the home shows a light blue Chrysler 3000 pulling into the driveway as a garage door opens up.
In a span of about 15 seconds, the suspects jumped out of the vehicle and ran into the garage but quickly began back peddling. Some of the invaders ran from the home while one got back into the car as gunfire struck the window.
Investigators determined that Mendivil was shot in the right arm.
The attempted home invasion occurred in the 3000 block of West Vande Loo Street, near South Cardinal Avenue and West Holladay Street.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wonder what caliber was shot at the window 9mm or .223 wont do much unless you hit the same spot which that guy apparently has no prob with lol..

Ah...

9mm OR .223 will have absolutely NO PROBLEM going through your standard windshield glass.  None whatsoever.

.223 FMJ will go through 3/8 plate steel at 25 yards...
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wish there was more to teh story. Wonder what caliber was shot at the window 9mm or .223 wont do much unless you hit the same spot which that guy apparently has no prob with lol..

You don't really know what you are talking about do you? Admit it.  Well you already kinda admitted it with that silly comment.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Run you freakin maniac RUN!!!

There is something more to this story. Sorry but i got a 9mm no less than 12 " from me as i write this and there is no way I could be that fast.
From the time they pulled up to the time they ran it was less than 10 seconds. Alerted by cameras? Bullshit. What was he doing? sitting in his front room with a gun loaded and watching the CCTV?? It was almost like he was expecting them to show up. $50 bet this is drug or gang related and this homeowner knew exactly why those people were there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I see a serious flaw in this...all four got away alive.  I hope the next guy wipes them off the earth.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Why would the dumb ass driver back out of the driveway, all the way back to the road they used to turn down his road and THEN drive right back past the Home owner with the gun?
Only reason I could think of is that his asshole buddies ran that way but I would be fucked if I am driving back past the "Portal of Death"
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Did you see that thug with the AR? We need to ban ALL AR's NOW! We need to do it for the children! Cause if we ban law-abiding citizens from buying those bullet hoses... that'll prevent things like this.

-MSM viewpoint no doubt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#9]
He must have already been on high alert or just got really lucky on his timing looking at the cameras. Cause they weren't there for more than 15 seconds before he had already opened up on them.

I'm betting his was using some sort of carbine based off the shot grouping on the window. Not that that isn't possible with a handgun, but it's much more likely with a carbine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is something more to this story. Sorry but i got a 9mm no less than 12 " from me as i write this and there is no way I could be that fast.
From the time they pulled up to the time they ran it was less than 10 seconds. Alerted by cameras? Bullshit. What was he doing? sitting in his front room with a gun loaded and watching the CCTV?? It was almost like he was expecting them to show up. $50 bet this is drug or gang related and this homeowner knew exactly why those people were there.

Could it be possible he was watching T.V. and a motion sensor was set off causing the T.V. to go to the camera "mode"?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When we talk about disparity of force shootings here, most people like to chime in that they carry a Glock with 15+ rounds and 2 mags.  They'll usually say that the 1911 guys are fucked if there is a large group of thugs.  

Once you pull your piece and start slinging lead...the thugs are going to scatter.

Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I'm not going to bank my earthly existence on them being chicken shits. My G17 with +2 extension carries almost as many rounds in the gun as a 1911 shooter with 2 spare magazines, and all are on tap for immediate use, no mag changes required.

It is a very real tactical advantage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Im wondering if the weapons, atleast the AR, that the thugs were carrying were fake?  Why wouldnt they return fire at all?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Darwin was cheated again, 4 times!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice group on the windshield...

^^^seriously^^^

good shoot
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To my laymans eye it looks like the rounds through the windshield are OUTbound.  ie, the driver accidentally pulled the trigger.  You can see glass particles flying over the hood, and it doesn't look like back spray from shattering glass.

You will get glass straight back off the windshield from shooting outside...

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Daaaammmnnnn
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was I the only one who heard Benny Hill music as they ran?

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting video..is it possible that the homeowner had just pulled in to the garage and the thugs were following? That would explain why the gate, garage door were open and the homeowner was in the garage.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#19]
This turned out almost perfect, video gets an "A".

If the homeowner would've been able to grab a 12 gauge with buck or an AR, it would've been an "A+++" video easily.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Failure at using the security features he had avialable. Close the gate.

Ditto this...

"Home Security" should be done in layers...  A few layers were left unsecured in this instance. (Gate + garage door = invitation)
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#21]
How much would that gate have helped him with people who really wanted to get in? Would it hold up to a ramming by that vehicle they used?

I'm not so sure about that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was I the only one who heard Benny Hill music as they ran?

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I the only one wondering why this guy with security cameras would be targeted by thugs with AR15's? It's just kinda hard to believe it was dumb luck on the part of the perps.

Nope. That was my first thought as well. Gang and or drug related maybe?

Could be, but thinking along those scenarios think about this:  Maybe the guy was a gun enthusiast like us and had several nice firearms and perhaps NFA items.  The guy would be completely legal and would be a very enticing target for people like this.  All it would take is him posting the wrong pictures on the wrong sites or telling the wrong person about his collection to provoke such an attack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could it be possible he was watching T.V. and a motion sensor was set off causing the T.V. to go to the camera "mode"?

Exactly, you can very easily have your stuff setup to sound a special door bell alarm when people pass in front of your house or in your driveway.  You can set this up with motion or mass sensors as well as cameras with special zones targeted for movement (via software).
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How much would that gate have helped him with people who really wanted to get in? Would it hold up to a ramming by that vehicle they used?

I'm not so sure about that.

Fences don't seem to stop mexicans too well  That and it was a short fence - they could hop over.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder what caliber was shot at the window 9mm or .223 wont do much unless you hit the same spot which that guy apparently has no prob with lol..

Ah...

9mm OR .223 will have absolutely NO PROBLEM going through your standard windshield glass.  None whatsoever.

5.56mm + auto glass = no sure thing.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think the video is also important to show the mindset of the goblins.

Even thought there was more of them, with more weaponry, and they had the initiative...

They still ran like little bitches once the lead starting flying towards them.

When we talk about disparity of force shootings here, most people like to chime in that they carry a Glock with 15+ rounds and 2 mags.  They'll usually say that the 1911 guys are fucked if there is a large group of thugs.  

Once you pull your piece and start slinging lead...the thugs are going to scatter.

Not just shooting, but aggressive action.  Shooting while backing up or staying static is one thing, but aggressively advancing while firing will generally break anyone of their will to fight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
wow that went down fast......

He should have called the cops instead of shooting at the armed invaders

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many will.

Some will not.

Trouble is, you never know which type you are facing until you start shooting.

It looks maybe at :23, one man turned and shot back?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:04:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah...

5.56mm + auto glass = no sure thing.

Trust me M855 has ZERO problem punching through auto glass. We shot at plenty of Iraqi vehicles who got to close to our convoy.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the video is also important to show the mindset of the goblins.

Even thought there was more of them, with more weaponry, and they had the initiative...

They still ran like little bitches once the lead starting flying towards them.

Of course it doesn't hurt to plan for the eventuality that the thugs suddenly grow some balls.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#36]
We need to get these AR-15's off the street
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:11:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the garage door was open too.

Maybe that was the bait?

That is what I was thinking as well.  

Guess the homeowner read "The Art of War."
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If he knew there was an attack coming this might not be a bad plan.  You have to figure them getting past the fence anyway, gate closed or not.  You might as well have them go the way YOU want them to.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#40]
The AR vs. vehicle glass seems like a pointless argument, at least in this thread.

Quoted:

The invaders were armed with handguns and an assault rifle but the homeowner was able to keep the men from coming in by retrieving a handgun and firing at them, the Sheriff’s Department said.

Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#41]

"The victim was able to get back inside his house, close his door, semi barricade it, reach for [a] weapon that was easily accessible," says Pima County Sheriff's Deputy Earl Gieron.

From the sound of this, he was in the garage and saw them pull up. The security cameras didn't alert him.  

Amazing video.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quite a solid marksmanship display by the homeowner, considering there were probably rounds going both ways, and his adrenaline had to be pumping.  Even among trained individuals, that's good shooting... I'm curious to know the homeowners background; I'll eat my hat if he's a neophyte.

And it is possible that the open garage door was by design.  Channel your enemies into a narrow area...

ETA: I think the driver is the guy shooting back, and he did have a gun in his right hand.  I wonder if those aren't outgoing rounds rather than incoming.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I have cameras around and in my house and they really are a great addition and with a high-speed internet access you can monitor the cameras from the web too.  

I just wish the home owner had managed to get a couple of them in the process as these four jumping out of the car like that would be cause enough for me to open up with full intent on dropping them all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Wow... that's intense.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Good shoot, or whatever the homeowner did to repel the BGs.

I realize that auto glass will dust up like that when shot from the outside, but judging from the video I'd say that those rounds were from the driver, IMO. The driver had a handgun in his hand, and the shot locations (first shot impact lower than second from recoil) are consistent with that. Plus it says in the article that the homeowner returned fire with a handgun, if he did that grouping while pumped up with adrenaline and fear with a handgun then it's all the more impressive.

I'd still like to hear the whole story. I find it hard to believe ol' dude didn't know something was going down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

The shot grouping on the windshield is fantastic.

Yeah, considering the guy was probably having an adrenaline dump right there. Impressive.

What's the story behind this? They try to break in, and the home owner starts shooting at them and they all run away? What was the home owner armed with?
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I really don't care about the reasons why these home invaders came after this guy, I am just happy they got repelled.

I also think that If the homeowner was expecting trouble he would have had everything buttoned down. If the goons are coming and you know about it, then you have the garage door closed and the gate blocking the driveway.

Maybe it was random, maybe he was targeted.....It really doesn't matter to me.

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's not enough glass particles for it to be outbound, it's incoming.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Or maybe he knew they were coming and offered up the open gate and garage to lure them into an easy to defend spot. If I knew people were coming and wasn't inclined to bug out, having a known entry point would be a good idea. What do I know, though, I haven't seen Heat or Red Dawn nearly as much as many of the others here have.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top