Quoted:

smarmy "I'm not the bad guy here" shit

click

I'll remember the good times we had together
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of the time I attended an informal precision rifle match with pop-up Ivans at unknown distances.

I show up rocking my fixed 10x Bushnell 3200 on my beater home made AR while everyone else has $3k+ bolt rigs..

The match consisted of Ivans popping up randomly for 5 seconds from 0 to 800+ m.

Before the match started it started raining and sleeting and fog moved in and target visibility became a problem.

Long story short I didn't touch my turrets, I just used the holdovers I already knew on the reticle. Wind was pretty light so that I just doped based on feel and watching my bullet traces through the scope.

I absolutely smoked the rest of the competitors. Like it wasn't even close. I killed so many Ivans they lost track while many of the "tacticalgarand44wtfbbq" Arfcommer types didn't hit a single target because the sleet was fucking up their gear queer crap and their OODA loop got jacked by a little bit of weather.

Anyway long story short I'm not a "sniper" but I do have sharp eyes and know the dope on my rifles and inside 1000 m I can have lead in the air so fast it will make your head spin. It's the Indian not the arrow. Are you lugging a 20lb precision rifle and glass with you everywhere you go?

The gear queers and the Arfcom "snipers" in this thread crack me up. Get real.

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote

Sounded like a Tom Clancy novel with all those dead Russians and bad assery.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

I’m sure it’s 100% non-fiction.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have something very similar here.

It is a JC Higgins Model 50 in .30-06. I got it for about $400 U.S.

It features a chrome lined bore and a Fabrique National Mauser 98 action.

Should one get Weaver bases and Leupold rings, it would be possible to mount a Leupold 2-7x33 VX Freedom scope.

The whole thing would cost less than $700. And a classic Mauser rifle would be of far better quality than any of today's rifles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I like this as a mental exercise. I see it more like a one club golf challenge than a threat to the PRS series

My vote coming into this was a TC Compass with scope package, or the Ruger American with scope package. But after seeing the other comments, I'm leaning towards the Weatherby Vanguard Select and a SWFA 10x.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, but would you pay a golf instructor and sign up for a clinic to play 9 holes with a sand wedge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like this as a mental exercise. I see it more like a one club golf challenge than a threat to the PRS series

Yeah, but would you pay a golf instructor and sign up for a clinic to play 9 holes with a sand wedge?

If he teaches me how to swing like Happy Gilmore, fuck yeah I would.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you hit any of the Wal-Mart clearance deals posted the past several years? Lots of ok scopes and rifles at 75% off. Just show the Wal-Mart receipts to verify the $800. Of course for a “Sniper Course” nothing from Wal-Mart or costing under $800.00 should be used. Ask for a refund is my advice.

View Quote

That was my first thought. A free (after rebate) Savage Axis from Walmart, a Timney trigger, and then a decent scope & rings. Maybe a discontinued Nikon from Euro-optic or Natchez of you really want to be cheap. It's a little late though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

smarmy "I'm not the bad guy here" shit

click

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FPNI

I suggest you drop this “class”.

@RePp
View Quote

This.

The premise is absurd.  Your life rides on your gear.  Guys who obsess on cheap gear are not serious about winning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have something very similar here.

It is a JC Higgins Model 50 in .30-06. I got it for about $400 U.S.

It features a chrome lined bore and a Fabrique National Mauser 98 action.

Should one get Weaver bases and Leupold rings, it would be possible to mount a Leupold 2-7x33 VX Freedom scope.

The whole thing would cost less than $700. And a classic Mauser rifle would be of far better quality than any of today's rifles.
View Quote

This is exactly the kind of rifle that I was thinking of, but for the OP specifying .308Win

This example is much to heavy for what the OP describes, but I have pictures.
As this rifle is shown, I have less than $400 in it, with optics.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

The premise is absurd.  Your life rides on your gear.  Guys who obsess on cheap gear are not serious about winning.
View Quote

"Cheap" and lacking quality are not the same.  
Completely useless for this scenario, but I picked up a rifle built on a BAT Machine action for $225.00
Right place, right time.....

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I took Ed’s Urban Movement course not long ago. There were two distinct types of student personalities in the class.

1.) Seemingly regular open minded guys who dressed in normal street attire.

2.) The tactical / tier 1 wannabe bois.

One of these 5.11 bros must have self proclaimed himself alpha chad before I got there for day 1 because he wouldn’t shut up all class. Had to answer every rhetorical question that Ed put into the room. This guy knew literally everything and made sure Ed and the rest of us knew, so I don’t know why he even took this course. Perhaps to show the world how brilliant he was? Several of his buddies would grunt chuckle as they told, what they must have considered, jokes.

Ed’s a nice guy so he played along and never told the dude to stfu. A lot of the other class guys were getting sick of it.

On day 2, this same guy must have had a moment of weakness because he actually asked a question. “Holy shit!” we all thought in anticipation of his question.

“What do we do if we get caught?” in regards to a kind of risky challenge we had to conduct in a public space involving law enforcement. Ed may have had enough of it at that point, so he said, still trying to be nice “if you have to ask that, maybe we shouldn’t be doing this exercise”. It was a subtle bitch slap, but I don’t want to put words in Ed’s mouth, cause like I said, he’s a nice guy and was a nice guy during the course, but for as many people as he’s killed, he knows how to flip the switch.

So the 5.11 bois got busted by law enforcement and what do they do? Tell the officers to call Ed’s training partner that was helping (and we had his phone number). Oh man, Ed seemed pissed but hid it well.

The 5.11 bois were not successful in the challenges.

Moral of the story, learn other shit too. Don’t be the guy standing in wet concrete when every country does their own badassery differently. Learn all the styles and be well rounded, not some 5.11 boi that only knows standard tactics with tier 1 equipment. Your enemy has already learned how to counter all that shit with Dollar General shit.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger American and a VX3 Leopold scope.

Take the damn glock style safety off, and put some 220 grain lapping compound in the bolt. Being extremely careful to never let the lapping compound hit the locking lugs, work the bolt for 10 or so minutes to round off the machine marks.
Don’t try and get the bolt glass smooth, you will take off to much material and get a sloppy bolt.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's pretty much a cross section of gun culture and any open training course you will take.

That doesn't explain away the absurdity of the gear requirement for this long gun centered class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took Ed's Urban Movement course not long ago. There were two distinct types of student personalities in the class.

One of these 5.11 bros must have self proclaimed himself alpha chad before I got there for day 1 because he wouldn't shut up all class. Had to answer every rhetorical question that Ed put into the room. This guy knew literally everything and made sure Ed and the rest of us knew, so I don't know why he even took this course. Perhaps to show the world how brilliant he was? Several of his buddies would grunt chuckle as they told, what they must have considered, jokes.

Ed's a nice guy so he played along and never told the dude to stfu. A lot of the other class guys were getting sick of it.

On day 2, this same guy must have had a moment of weakness because he actually asked a question. "Holy shit!" we all thought in anticipation of his question.

"What do we do if we get caught?" in regards to a kind of risky challenge we had to conduct in a public space involving law enforcement. Ed may have had enough of it at that point, so he said, still trying to be nice "if you have to ask that, maybe we shouldn't be doing this exercise". It was a subtle bitch slap, but I don't want to put words in Ed's mouth, cause like I said, he's a nice guy and was a nice guy during the course, but for as many people as he's killed, he knows how to flip the switch.

So the 5.11 bois got busted by law enforcement and what do they do? Tell the officers to call Ed's training partner that was helping (and we had his phone number). Oh man, Ed seemed pissed but hid it well.

Moral of the story, learn other shit too. Don't be the guy standing in wet concrete when every country does their own badassery differently. Learn all the styles and be well rounded, not some 5.11 boi that only knows standard tactics with tier 1 equipment. Your enemy has already learned how to counter all that shit with Dollar General shit.

That's pretty much a cross section of gun culture and any open training course you will take.

That doesn't explain away the absurdity of the gear requirement for this long gun centered class.

One of our challenge was having to pick a bunch of padlocks placed in very public places. 3 goals/skill sets: 1.) lockpicking 2.) being covert not to draw attention or get caught 3.) having a good cover story if you did get caught.

He encouraged us to use lock picks / picks made out of common material. Was it the best tool for the job? No, but that was part of the challenge. We didn’t use tier 1 tools and we completed the task.

5.11 bois used wire cutters to cut the fence (not the lock) to get the lock when Ed said don’t damage public property. Guess which team got busted by law enforcement? Not mine.

My team used lock picks and we got 4 of the 8 locks placed out for each of the 5 teams (4-5 people per team) to get. We also had an excellent cover story when security got up on us at one point. Cover story worked, security wished us well and left.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a good, durable scope within his price range. What's your suggestion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol at suggesting a fixed 10x scope for a “scout sniper” class in 2021.

This forum disappoints me.

10x is to much for most shots even hunting in most of NC. I can see the need for 10x in an urban environment, but 4x is the most you would normally want.
Under 150 yards you need situational awareness.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you guys suck at shooting when it’s not tier 1 equipment?

View Quote

No, I suck at shooting in general.  Next question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I run a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 with a SWFA fixed 12x and I regularly make hits on 18" steel at 700 without really trying too hard.  I have no doubt I can stretch that out if only I had a place to do it.

I don't recall what I paid - but it probably wasn't too far off of the listed requirement.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been impressed by both Savage bolt action rifles I've shot.

For a scope?  Nikon or one of those awesome Bushnells (3X12X56) with the 4A reticle.  Bright as hell.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I’ve spent more than 2x just on the glass.  The poors are everywhere.  The “class” sounds like it’s run by a bunch of fudds
View Quote

Your statement seems . . . . . internally inconsistent.  

Edit.  I take that back.  Your statement is actually entirely CONSISTENT.  It seems the point of your statement is internally inconsistent.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

One of our challenge was having to pick a bunch of padlocks placed in very public places. 3 goals/skill sets: 1.) lockpicking 2.) being covert not to draw attention or get caught 3.) having a good cover story if you did get caught.

He encouraged us to use lock picks / picks made out of common material. Was it the best tool for the job? No, but that was part of the challenge. We didn’t use tier 1 tools and we completed the task.

5.11 bois used wire cutters to cut the fence (not the lock) to get the lock when Ed said don’t damage public property. Guess which team got busted by law enforcement? Not mine.

My team used lock picks and we got 4 of the 8 locks placed out for each of the 5 teams (4-5 people per team) to get. We also had an excellent cover story when security got up on us at one point. Cover story worked, security wished us well and left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I took Ed's Urban Movement course not long ago. There were two distinct types of student personalities in the class.

One of these 5.11 bros must have self proclaimed himself alpha chad before I got there for day 1 because he wouldn't shut up all class. Had to answer every rhetorical question that Ed put into the room. This guy knew literally everything and made sure Ed and the rest of us knew, so I don't know why he even took this course. Perhaps to show the world how brilliant he was? Several of his buddies would grunt chuckle as they told, what they must have considered, jokes.

Ed's a nice guy so he played along and never told the dude to stfu. A lot of the other class guys were getting sick of it.

On day 2, this same guy must have had a moment of weakness because he actually asked a question. "Holy shit!" we all thought in anticipation of his question.

"What do we do if we get caught?" in regards to a kind of risky challenge we had to conduct in a public space involving law enforcement. Ed may have had enough of it at that point, so he said, still trying to be nice "if you have to ask that, maybe we shouldn't be doing this exercise". It was a subtle bitch slap, but I don't want to put words in Ed's mouth, cause like I said, he's a nice guy and was a nice guy during the course, but for as many people as he's killed, he knows how to flip the switch.

So the 5.11 bois got busted by law enforcement and what do they do? Tell the officers to call Ed's training partner that was helping (and we had his phone number). Oh man, Ed seemed pissed but hid it well.

Moral of the story, learn other shit too. Don't be the guy standing in wet concrete when every country does their own badassery differently. Learn all the styles and be well rounded, not some 5.11 boi that only knows standard tactics with tier 1 equipment. Your enemy has already learned how to counter all that shit with Dollar General shit.

You took a class that had you running around picking locks and cutting fences on public property?

Are you fucking with us?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe a burris rt-6. Would get out to 700m or so on steel man sized targets even with my poor eyes. That is the only scope i know of that is assembled in the US with Philippino glass in that price range. Plenty other optics out there if that doesn't matter to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ruger American and a VX3 Leopold scope.

Take the damn glock style safety off, and put some 220 grain lapping compound in the bolt. Being extremely careful to never let the lapping compound hit the locking lugs, work the bolt for 10 or so minutes to round off the machine marks.
Don’t try and get the bolt glass smooth, you will take off to much material and get a sloppy bolt.

View Quote

I get OP is on a low budget but w
I don't think it's necessary to stoop to knockoff glass.

Buy a used LEUPOLD over a LEOPOLD. Sounds like it's a Chinese clone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You took a class that had you running around picking locks and cutting fences on public property?

Are you fucking with us?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you fucking with us?

You should hear the other things we did.

Throughout this thread you’ve proven that you are incapable of understanding. You seem pretty dense on most of these types of things actually. Do you have any redeeming qualities or value that you bring to ARFCOM or should I just click? Hate to click, but right now it feels like I have more use for a gnat at a bbq. Maybe you do better on the technical forums? Help me understand..

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a similar setup in 243  except mine is sporting a 4-12x Redfield Accurange. All in I think it cost me $150  and it will shot MOA or a bit better .  It is a heavy pig though.

Quoted:

This is exactly the kind of rifle that I was thinking of, but for the OP specifying .308Win

This example is much to heavy for what the OP describes, but I have pictures.
As this rifle is shown, I have less than $400 in it, with optics.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119347/20170327_102039_jpg-1838415.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Throughout this thread you’ve proven that you are incapable of understanding. You seem pretty dense on most of these types of things actually. Do you have any redeeming qualities or value that you bring to ARFCOM or should I just click? Hate to click, but right now it feels like I have more use for a gnat at a bbq. Maybe you do better on the technical forums? Help me understand..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you fucking with us?

No, please don't ignore me. It would break my heart in two.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#31]
This course sounds basically like a "What are the capabilities of a truck gun" course and it is relevant to my interests as I'm building a Ruger American .308 truck gun. I like the premise.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Maybe a burris rt-6. Would get out to 700m or so on steel man sized targets even with my poor eyes. That is the only scope i know of that is assembled in the US with Philippino glass in that price range. Plenty other optics out there if that doesn't matter to you.
View Quote

Burris RT6 are made in the Philippines.  I like the one I have, but it a set & forget scope.  I would never dream of dialing shots with it.  While the glass is good for a 1x capable LPVO under $400, there lots of hunting scopes out there with better optic quality for less $.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

He encouraged us to use lock picks / picks made out of common material. Was it the best tool for the job? No, but that was part of the challenge. We didn't use tier 1 tools and we completed the task.

5.11 bois used wire cutters to cut the fence (not the lock) to get the lock when Ed said don't damage public property. Guess which team got busted by law enforcement? Not mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He encouraged us to use lock picks / picks made out of common material. Was it the best tool for the job? No, but that was part of the challenge. We didn't use tier 1 tools and we completed the task.

5.11 bois used wire cutters to cut the fence (not the lock) to get the lock when Ed said don't damage public property. Guess which team got busted by law enforcement? Not mine.

You just sold me on going to one of Ed's classes. That sounds like it gets you out of your comfort zone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/savage-10pt-sr-308-winchester-bolt-action-rifle

Academy has a great 308 for under 6.

I have one and a buddy has one.  I even shot our clubs f class short range match with it.

Get the SFWA scope and you are done. Attachment Attached File

Gun is on the bottom and is painted
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is poorly worded?
This entire discussion?  

The OP said the information is preliminary, so details you are questioning aren't yet available.
View Quote

"preliminary info: rifle and glass must cost or be valued at $800."

Is that supposed to be "at most", or "at least?" Like I said, poorly worded and everyone is jumping to conclusions, lol..

It would make more sense to be a minimum. I've heard of plenty of classes requiring or recommending a minimum quality of gear. Never heard of anyone doing the opposite, yet that's where this conversation defaulted for no good reason.

Carry on..
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you could get every hunter with a .270 and a 3-9 scope to spend a day learning (actually LEARNING) some basics and firing 50 rounds, you could create a large number of solid shooters.
View Quote

A $300 hunting rifle, a $200 scope and a few boxes of ammo is a hell of a freedom tool. I already have the scope ($100 used Nikon from the EE)!
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top