BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bump.... I love these threads, but hate how they always seem to vanish, Its to bad we don't have a shop/garage sub forum.... Lots of talented folks on this site...
View Quote

Stuff like this gets posted a lot in the DIY forum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I just want to be in on something other than page 87
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great timing for this thread.  I just applied another coat of Tung oil to the top.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/1572/qoigFO.jpg
View Quote

I bought 3 of the narrower Harbor Freight U.S. General roll around boxes .

My plan is to gang all 3 together and then put a butcher block slab across all three.

That will be my new reloading bench.

I also plan on taking a round nose bit in a router to mill a groove or “gutter” around the top.

EDIT:  I bought the blue tool boxes from HF.  It is about as close as I will come to matching my Dillons.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

post it in here, Ill keep the thread alive... Or we can try and get a shop/garage sub forum created... The DIY section is ok, but I think a dedicated forum to shops/garages would be awesome.. I mean, 90% of America has a garage, and I doubt 90% believes in Bigfoot and aliens, yet we have a sub forum in general for that.... (not to knock that thread, I love it, Ive seen some shit in the woods that I cant even begin to explain in my years)...
View Quote

I feel like it might be kinda hijacking his thread, cuz it’s a whole garage build thread, this is more specific.

I should maybe see if I could get a mod to move it to DIY...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#8]

I like it. What German car parks there?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Was the AMG C63

Is now my M4

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I put this thing together some years ago and it has been quite useful. I use it as a work table for everything.
I also made it high enough to use as an outfeed table for the table saw.
Attachment Attached File

And I have these that collect anything I want to put down for a moment. Kind of makes it useless as a workbench.
Attachment Attached File

I'm fortunate to have plenty of room to roam around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 4 setups, but here's a pic I have for one of them.  Stainless top on a simple rolling cabinet, nice for engine work, and it cleans up easily.  I have a wood top bench in the basement, and work off an extended table saw when wood working.  Also, have a couple of tool boxes with stainless tops that work well.  Only problem is too much flat surface means too much area for clutter to build up.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm designing my reloading bench and y'all have given me some great ideas. I need the drawers for storage of basic tools, dies and reloading components. Some of it will be heavy (bullets and such). I was looking at the US General stuff and noticed that the Yukon line had drawer arrangements that would be better for my purpose. Anyone have experience on whether they will fall apart with indoor use?

I've got 16' to fill and want decent leg room in the middle.
My plan is to go for something like this combo

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Vs.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I can make either work though, so I'll spend the extra and deal with space if it means my drawers won't stop working in 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/VAoAaXf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dJ2i5l0.jpg

Took the wheels off of the Milwaukee work benches to make them more solid. Then I covered the entire wooden surface with rubberized mats, including beneath the Wilton vice. The center work area is roughly 5’ wide and 10’ long.

They want retarded prices for the benches now these days, or I’d add a few more.
View Quote

Damn son, is that four or six Milwaukee chests?

I’ve got the same model and have considered buying a second and placing a long plank over the two with space in the middle for a ‘desk’.

And would you happen to have an extra handle laying around?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably not what your going for.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It's...beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]

That is some massive badassery.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Subscribing.
Im pouring the slab for an 18'x35' (with 14' walls) metal building next week. It's not going to be the shop "I always dreamed of" but it will be a dedicated shop storage area for me. All this "stuff" was being kept in a two car garage that two cars parked in every day. When I use it, I have to get the cars out, pull everything out then I'd have to neatly stow it away to put the cars back in.  Basic plans are the shell building, lighting, plumbing, and I'd like to have a two post lift. From there I'll let it evolve into what my needs are.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I built this one a few months ago.  A sheet of 1/2" plywood, some 2x4s and some deck screws.  It's 8' long and 2' wide.  I haven't decided if/what I'm going to put on the working surface.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]

That is a nice work bench!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I built this one a few months ago.  A sheet of 1/2" plywood, some 2x4s and some deck screws.  It's 8' long and 2' wide.  I haven't decided if/what I'm going to put on the working surface.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20210127_143943__Medium__jpg-1800360.JPG

View Quote
Your workbench is very close to what I'm thinking of building, but I'm planning only about 6ft long. Thanks for posting.

The retractable heavy-duty casters arrived today.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Your workbench is very close to what I'm thinking of building, but I'm planning only about 6ft long. Thanks for posting.

The retractable heavy-duty casters arrived today. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20210128_102542-1800365.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45352/20210127_143943__Medium__jpg-1800360.JPG

The retractable heavy-duty casters arrived today. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20210128_102542-1800365.jpg

Thanks!  I went 8' because it was the length of the plywood and 2x4s I bought.  If you have the room I would recommend going 8'.  You will always use it.  Where did you get the castors?  I'm thinking of putting them on my bench.  I'll need to shorten the legs to keep the overall height the same (36").
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I second whoever said build separate reloading and workbenches.

I would also think hard about putting the reloading bench somewhere other than the garage. Humidity and temp swings make it less than ideal. Mine is in an unfinished room in the basement, that stays within a 10 degree range all year with sub 30% humidity.

Mine is two 3/4 MDF sheets screwed to 2x4s, and screwed to the wall studs. That's another thing, I vote screw it on, it makes a big difference. I screwed the first MDF layer to the 2x4 frame from the top, and then flipped it upside down onto the second sheet and fastened it from the bottom. This way, there are no exposed fasteners on top.

Thinking about coating it with a finish of some kind, but I like the smooth finish of the bare MDF.
View Quote

+1 for not in the garage I had a lot of my steel dies rust from being out there
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's...beautiful!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's...beautiful!

agreeeeeee
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I went 8' because it was the length of the plywood and 2x4s I bought.  If you have the room I would recommend going 8'.  You will always use it.  Where did you get the castors?  I'm thinking of putting them on my bench.  I'll need to shorten the legs to keep the overall height the same (36").
View Quote
Dare I say? Starts with an A...

ASIN: B08DHLJQMN

It will be pulling double duty as a work & reloading bench...I won't be storing my dies in the garage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Not a humble brag, but the only pic I have of my workbench has my cobra in it

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#26]

I'll have to show this to my wife.  She thinks I have too many coleman lanters (I have 9).  I just can't resist buying an old one from craigslist, garage sales, etc. that "don't work".  I just love them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]

@sonaliel

That's beautiful.  Can you show more of how you build the vice?  Nice details on the top too.

ETA, I have three bench projects pending
1. Welding table
2. Reloading Bench
3. General purpose with storage underneath.  

I also need a ramp/lift/bench type setup for working on my ATVs. I'm getting too old to be on my knees on the concrete floors.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@sonaliel

That's beautiful.  Can you show more of how you build the vice?  Nice details on the top too.

1. Welding table
2. Reloading Bench

I also need a ramp/lift/bench type setup for working on my ATVs. I'm getting too old to be on my knees on the concrete floors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@sonaliel

1. Welding table
2. Reloading Bench

Thanks to everyone for the complements.

The vise is built using hardware from Benchcrafted.

I think I've got enough construction photos I might do a "let's build a bench" thread this evening.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top