User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

-Troy

... Hey dammit, I recognize those mountains behind you. How come you didn't holler at the AZARFCOMMERs and go out for dinner or something?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

... Hey dammit, I recognize those mountains behind you. How come you didn't holler at the AZARFCOMMERs and go out for dinner or something?

He was obviously going too fast to stop and was only documented by this speedtrap camara.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell him to snip the "wheelie wire", he'll really shit his pants.

Quoted:

Quoted:
A buddy just got a Suzuki GSX1100, not the sportiest bike out there, but goes 0-90 faster than you can say "Holy fucking shit, this thing is FAST!"  according to him

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=2894

-Troy

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched a guy hit 220MPH in the quarter mile on a bike. He turned a 6.60 on the pass (Maple Grove Raceway, Reading, Pa). He died a couple of years later in 1996 at Indy. He still holds the National record at 6.06 seconds at 235 m.p.h. Not a street bike, but many of the current crotch rockets barely qualify as street bikes either, IMHO.

RIP, Elmer!

Reports were that he left a wet spot everywhere he bounced.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I call BS too.

When a magazine tests a bike like one of the current Speed kings (of which Honda doesn't run with) like a Hayabuse or ZX-12R, they do it by folding mirrors back, messing with tire pressures, lowering the bike etc. The best top speeds you will find are in the 184mph range, and that's all they will do, down hill with a gale force wind at sea level on the right temperature day etc. etc. This has been the case for several years as the Japanese manufacturers were threatened with EU sanctions if they didn't control the power wars. The straw that broke the camel's back was an ad on German TV where a Hayabusa blows past a BMW who has it flat out at 155mph. The germans threw a tissy and got together with the other Surrender Monkeys and laid it all out. This is not a new thing, despite rumors that Euro-spec bikes are faster, most of them are not. France for instance has a 100hp limit on their bikes, the Hayabuse makes about 166, stock.

Why I call BS: It's not hard to get a sport bike to do 175mph on a long road with 135-150hp at the back wheel. With a more purpose-built-for-speed bike like a Hayabusa you'll manage to hit low 190's. To get ANY sport bike to break 200 mph reliably, you'll have to have HUGE horsepower to overcome the drag. Despite their curvy shape, there is NOTHING aerodynamic about a motorcycle, and that's before you drop a rider on top of it. The horsepower requirement goes up exponentially to speed. Breaking 200mph with all we have available today is still a major achievement. Most guys do it with a turbo kit, and the resulting animals are so far removed from the host bike that you really couldn't call it a Honda or Suzuki etc.

So, yeah. Unless this is a $30,000 hand grenade, it won't do 200mph.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Just googled a test on a 1000cc Honda and it said 300kph max. speed or @180-185.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To get ANY sport bike to break 200 mph reliably, you'll have to have HUGE horsepower to overcome the drag. Despite their curvy shape, there is NOTHING aerodynamic about a motorcycle, and that's before you drop a rider on top of it. The horsepower requirement goes up exponentially to speed. Breaking 200mph with all we have available today is still a major achievement. Most guys do it with a turbo kit, and the resulting animals are so far removed from the host bike that you really couldn't call it a Honda or Suzuki etc.

Dave

Bullshit.

You can work the radar gun if you like.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I call BS too.

When a magazine tests a bike like one of the current Speed kings (of which Honda doesn't run with) like a Hayabuse or ZX-12R, they do it by folding mirrors back, messing with tire pressures, lowering the bike etc. The best top speeds you will find are in the 184mph range, and that's all they will do, down hill with a gale force wind at sea level on the right temperature day etc. etc. This has been the case for several years as the Japanese manufacturers were threatened with EU sanctions if they didn't control the power wars. The straw that broke the camel's back was an ad on German TV where a Hayabusa blows past a BMW who has it flat out at 155mph. The germans threw a tissy and got together with the other Surrender Monkeys and laid it all out. This is not a new thing, despite rumors that Euro-spec bikes are faster, most of them are not. France for instance has a 100hp limit on their bikes, the Hayabuse makes about 166, stock.

Why I call BS: It's not hard to get a sport bike to do 175mph on a long road with 135-150hp at the back wheel. With a more purpose-built-for-speed bike like a Hayabusa you'll manage to hit low 190's. To get ANY sport bike to break 200 mph reliably, you'll have to have HUGE horsepower to overcome the drag. Despite their curvy shape, there is NOTHING aerodynamic about a motorcycle, and that's before you drop a rider on top of it. The horsepower requirement goes up exponentially to speed. Breaking 200mph with all we have available today is still a major achievement. Most guys do it with a turbo kit, and the resulting animals are so far removed from the host bike that you really couldn't call it a Honda or Suzuki etc.

Dave

Read OLY's post, the EU "required" speed limits on bikes, 187 mph. Like 187 will save you............ Before that Hayabusa were in the mid 190's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Bullshit.

You can work the radar gun if you like.  

Well, bring it on out! It'll be fun to watch if nothing else.

Dave (who's hoping for another R1 in the spring)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Guy picked out another record to break and off he went down the 1-mile taxiway to the starting line to make another attempt down the Maxton Mile. From a dead stop to a full throttle run, Guy shot down the course vigorously looking for another record. The "Tiger" was moving at breakneck speeds and when he went thru the traps he had not only set another record in the APS/F 3000 class at 211.555 but was clocked exiting at 213.351mph. A personal best for Guy and the Dragbike.com / Tiger Racing Hayabusa and who could ask for more. Guy had bested 3 records this day and became a life member of the prestigious East Coast 200 MPH CLUB. He can now wear his Green Hat proudly and be known for his accomplishments.

Guy made sure to let everyone know that this hat and t-shirt had cost him around $7,000 where to his surprise most of the other members chuckled. He was told that most of the other members had spent more than twice that and he was lucky to get away so cheap. Cheap??? Going 200mph seemed so mundane when this all started until his bubble popped during his first event in September of 2002. Guy said, "I thought I could just go out with a big motor and run down a 200mph pass for sure. I had done it with a GPS on the back roads of Ohio, what was so hard about Maxton?" Here is the reason, at Maxton, you start from a dead stop and go only to 1 mile. 200mph is 293.33 feet/second or roughly about 1 football field per second. To get to that speed in just 5,280 feet (1 mile) takes an enormous amount of Horse Power and a lot of aerodynamics. The only bikes going faster than 210mph are the Turbo Hayabusas. Scott "Mr. Motorcycle" Guthrie recently told me and that there is 1 kind of bike at Maxton going faster than 210mph, the Suzuki Hayabusa. I had to agree with him.

www.landracing.com/news/tiger.htm

Fairly stock looking Hayabusa, displacing 1397cc with Nitrous
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
total bullshit
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review40.htm

It was 480 pounds of big, ugly, aerodynamic motorcycle. It's 1300cc fuel-injected, four-cylinder motor put out over 155 rear-wheel horsepower. That's 16 hp more than any other stock sportbike at the time. Out of the box it would do sub 10-second quarter-miles and would top out at a real 196+ mph! Bad.... bad craziness.

For 2000, just as Kawasaki readied their own 200mph missile, and under threats of speed and horsepower limits from around the world, Suzuki and other manufacturers agreed to place a 189mph limit on their production bikes. The '99 Hayabusas, in copper or black, were the ones that slipped through the crack. Top speed is now "limited" to 189 mph.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the top speed EU wants is 187, not 189 as stated in the article, kph to mph conversion error?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
who wants to host a video of a bike going real fast down the highway?

tell me how and i'll post in here.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting link:

people.msoe.edu/~cohenm/aerobike.htm

If you are interested to look at really fast street bikes, look up Velocity racing, Mr. Turbo etc. These guys are pushing out 500+ HP at the wheel... low 7's in the quarter, 225mph top end. I'm looking for the story in my back issues as the internet is too hard to search with the query "world's fastest streetbike", but there was a NASCAR mechanic who recently built a street legal 250mph Hayabusa. That's fast.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
NO BS I had my ZX7 going 170.............
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The bike this Minnesota guy was riding was most likely the '04 CBR 1000RR, on of the new "liter bikes."  It puts out over 170 HP at the crank, so it's no small potato.  But 205 is pushing it a little too far.  

Agreed.  I've heard of jetted/piped Busa's hitting 203 on a good day, and jetted/piped ZX12R's hitting 190..and Honda's Blackbird in the high-170's.  But for a normally aspirated bike it's highly unlikely.  The Fireblade is wicked fast, but I've never heard of one over 180, I thought they were geared too short and top gear/redline put them in the mid-170's.

Oh...I rode a relative's ZX12R for a short bit...I just rovvve that speed!  It is as much fun as an MP5.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
This guy would definitely fall under the "idiot" category However, I think he could make a case for fighting his ticket because as someone already pointed out, a difference in 1 second could mean many miles per hour. (Not quite the 140 he needs to get down to a legal speed but it could start to show mistakes in the calculations.) There is a comercial version of time vs. distance = speed out there called VASCAR (works on same principle).

I used to say I don't give first aid to idiots but now the law requires me to and I don't think there would be much left of this guy even if he were "only" doing 150 mph.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
The Land speed record for a 1000cc motorcycle P-P class (production frame- production engine) is 182.759mph.

1000cc A-BF class (special construction- Supercharged fuel) is 208.146

It looks like anything faster in the 1000cc class is in the streamlined classes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/cbr1000rr04/

Motorcycle Road Test: 2004 Honda CBR1000RR
Is this motorcycle the most powerful, most sophisticated superbike ever?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, no one could put a new rear gear on, or modify the computer for more top end............
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
205 mph Honda Nabs Headlines From Woebegone
205mph speeding ticket sets MN record, you betcha'
by dean adams

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Sheesh! And to think we gave up doing the flood run because it was filled with wobbling, drunken Harley riders who really were "unsafe at any speed".

Little known fact: Dylan's famed Minnesota Hi-way 61 runs right past the Soup offices; and most of the RW-based Soup crew have been traveling 61 for decades. So, we know of what we speak, or write, in this instance.

According to published reports ( http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4992111.html) this morning, a Honda 1000 rider has set the unofficial all-time speeding Minnesota ticket record on a return run during last weekend's flood run, most of which takes place on 61. The 20 year old Stillwater resident, Samuel Armstrong Tilley, was clocked at 205mph by a Minnesota State Patrol airplane, or so both Twin Cities papers report this morning.

200 mph on mostly two-lane 61? On a nice, fall Saturday afternoon when the tourists actually out-number mosquitoes? Uh-huh.

Note that the reports state the law officer didn't obtain a radar gun reading to determine the rider's speed, but used a stop watch and some pre-determined land markings to time him. Hmmm. Minnesotans and math; not really our strong suit is it fellow residents?

In what can only be a serious blow to the aftermarket, the published report quotes the cop/pilot as saying that many high-performance motorcycles with minor modifications can now "hit 200 mph". (DuHamel's 190 horsepower 1000 Superbike only pulled 195 at the '04 Brainerd Superbike race)

There's got to be a SouperPoll in all this ...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2004/Sep/040921a.htm

ENDS

Just curious as to if you really think speed enforcement airplane uses a radar and can do so indiscriminately as to only target a single machine way way way way down there?

The planes don't use radar, they simple time cars as they pass surveyed markers. They also fly pretty low and slow, you can wave at the pilots as they fly by.

They were talking about the speeder on the radio talk shows today. Someone saw him pulled over, he didn't appear to have a helmet, but was wearing Oakley sunglasses.

For you riders, how long does it take to accelerate from say 150 mph to 200 mph. I'm assuming it takes quite a distance. It's not like accelerating from 50 to 100.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
CBR 1000RR is a 170 or 175 mph bike tops. It is the slowest of the literbikes, in stock trim. Its a fuelie, BTW.

MotoGP bikes are pushing 250hp.

No stock bike can hit 200mph. A 'busa with extensive mods could though.

I think a stock Boss Hoss could do it...

325-400hp

Now, weather you could stay on the bike or not is another story...

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Oh God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"

Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"

God say, "No." Abe say, "What ?"

God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but

The next time you see me comin' you better run"

Well Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done ?"

God says. "Out on Highway 61".

---------Bob Dylan, HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top