User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
tacoma
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tacoma is 100% non union labor made in Texas.

How about the ford?

Tacoma, hands down.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ill just leave this here.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/SirJames_album/DSC01973.jpg

This is my '10 F150.  I looked hard at both the Taco and the 150. The Toyota camp just would not budge on the pricing. The MSRP on my 150 was about$8500 more than the Taco I was looking at.  By the time I went back and forth with the dealer I got the 150 for almost the same price.  The 150 is roomier, rides a lot better is a HELL of a lot quieter and for mileage I just took it to Wyoming and back from Seattle. I made it from Seattle to Butte MT on one tank of fuel. The ticker said it was getting 18.8 mpg.  Not bad for a full size truck running 75/80 with the air on through the mountains. I had it out in the sticks in WY and it did not have any issues getting anywhere I put it. It only gets about 15mpg around town.  I will admit that there is more out there in off road gear for the Taco but if you want a good all around truck I think the 150 is a better option.

Sir James...

Nice truck! I really like the new F150's.

I really would like to get rid of my S10. Someday......
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If she wants a slightly smaller truck get the Taco.  If she wants a full size truck get the F150.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would go with the Tacoma. The commuting part will save her on gas. F150s get shit for gas mileage.
I have a 2007 Tacoma and I will never buy any other vehicle for a truck except Tacoma or a Tundra.
I get 20-22 mpg depending on how hard i push it. It does great in snow, rain and mud

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/Taco_Vernal_1-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/Fierce_Taco.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb116/DD977GM2/0722082030.jpg

That's a purdy Tacoma, but it sure does sit aweful low to the ground.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The resale value with the Taco will be better...

The Taco will outlast the Ford,2+ times over... (if not 3)

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
At least you have it narrowed down to the correct vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not feeling well right now and I could really use what ever drugs they have you on now.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
My vote is whatever Mom wants she should go out and buy. This isnt a "What son wants", this is "What Mom wants".

Now personally the F150 is 4 times the truck of the burrito...err...I mean taco.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a '07 Tacoma crew cab that I bought new with the 6' bed, 4x4, "sport" suspension, towing package, and every other option available, it had to be specially ordered from the factory in Ca. at the time, and got it at "dealer invoice"...one fantastic deal in my opinion. At 55k miles thus far, not one bit of trouble yet.  Numerous occasions with 800-1k lbs in the bed, no problems. I have towed 5000-5500lb loads on a few occasions, one time across the Smoky Mountains.  No problem, though I kept it in 4th gear on the inclines out of paranoia when going across the mountain range (if you want to call the Smokies "mountains" I think of them as "big hills.")

IIRC it is rated to tow 6000 lbs, and from everything I have read truck manufacturers love to overstate their towing capacities.  I have been close to that limit on steep roads at moderate altitudes and like I said earlier, no problems, but I can't help but be concerned about towing a heavy load across the Rockies.  At 10k feet, engines lose their muscle.  I think I would make it with a 5k lb. load, but it would probably be slow.

Other than that, it is a great road trip vehicle.  Toyota has insulated it very well so it is "Lexus Quiet" and it is very smooth at 80mph.  Seats are great, the JBL sound system is quite good as automotive sound systems go.  It has "stadium seating" so your passengers in back sit higher than the driver and co-pilot, and this seems to be a big plus on longer trips for the poor bastards in back.  I wouldn't know.  I haven't sat back there.  Otherwise, the rear seats fold flat for my dingaling doggies.

Once I hit 100k with no problems, I will consider it reliable.

Perfect truck for me.  It does everything I want it to do, from towing, hauling, or road trip comfort.

ETA:  Without a load my MPG is always 18-20, and it doesn' matter whether it is mostly highway or around the town.  When towing a decent load, it was 14-16 IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not feeling well right now and I could really use what ever drugs they have you on now.......

yeah, no shit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

My own experience with Tacoma resale value is as follows:

I once bought a '95 Tacoma 4cyl. 4x4 with an extended cab and AC, 5spd manual with 58,000 miles for $9,000 in 2003.  I thought I paid too much, but I wanted a decent truck and there was nothing even close to it on the market that I could find after months of looking.  They were all rusted, beat to hell and commanded a firm $4500-5000 pricetag, so I paid up for something nice.

I sold it in 2007 with 85,000 miles and a new muffler for $9,000.  The guy I sold it to was buying it for his son as he went off to college in the northeast and was very well educated about Tacomas.  As with all transactions I do I was completely honest with him about what I felt the value was and let him know that I paid $9k for it four years and 27k miles ago.  He ultimately had no problem paying up.  I had 3-4 buyers stacked up bidding $8000-$8500.  A couple were pissed off that the deal got away.

No drugs, no delusions.  Just hard economic facts from my experience.

The only reason I bought my '07 Tacoma was because the market on '05-'06 models at the time was so strong it made no sense to buy one.  Considering the deal I got,  I had to go new.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Let's see -'94 Toyota Pick up 324K miles - more money on car washes than maintenance. Still has the original rear brakes
'06 Tacoma - 174k hauls 6 ton trailer full of roofing up and down hills - no problem 16-17 mpg
If I didn't put this kind of mileage on and didn't rely on my truck everyday - I'd go with the F-150
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Wait, 2010 F-150 or 2011 (out at end of year)?

Either way, F-150.

But for 2011 you have 4 engine choices: 3.7 V6, 5.0L V8, 6.2L V8, and 3.5L V6 Ecoboost.  The 3.7L V6 is sourced from the V6 mustang and will be plenty if she just wants to commute and not tow.  Plus it will be getting substantially better gas mileage than the outgoing 4.6L V8 (load), or the solid but gas thirsty 5.4L V8.

If she can wait a few months, get the base F-150 with the 3.7L V6.  If she wants cheap now, 2010 Ford F-150s have 0% financing until early October.

Yes I work for Ford.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]
2011 F-150 just wait to see what they have in store for the 2011MY year...

4 new drivetrain options, productivity screen, select shift transmission....    
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

Believe whatever ya want... no sweat off my back...

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
As a daily driver without towing and hauling stuff often, if at all?  I'd say go Tacoma.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

Okay thanks for the permission.

ETA: Let's see if Steve Saleen will put something like this together for the toyota fanboys.

Yeah. Good luck, bitches.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

ETA: Let's see if Steve Saleen will put something like this together for the toyota fanboys.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9761408/163_0808_04z+saleen_f150_s331+front_view.jpg
wtf good will that do offroad?  because that's what the OP specifically requested.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Let's see -'94 Toyota Pick up 324K miles - more money on car washes than maintenance. Still has the original rear brakes
'06 Tacoma - 174k hauls 6 ton trailer full of roofing up and down hills - no problem 16-17 mpg
If I didn't put this kind of mileage on and didn't rely on my truck everyday - I'd go with the F-150

Bullshitometer going off.

You're telling me that a Toyota Tacoma is pulling 12,000lbs up and down hills while getting 16-17mpg?

You do realize that MY truck––Full-framed, 10.25" rear axle, 6.0L V8, heavy-duty 4spd auto, Hydroboost braking system, 4-wheel disc, 4.10's, load-range E tires, 8-lug axles, anti-sway hitch, etc. is rated at a MAXIMUM of 12,700lbs with a fifth wheel?

You do realize that YOUR truck––even with the typically inflated Toyota HP/TQ #'s and load ratings, is rated for a maximum of 6500lbs tow rating and a payload rating of about 1650lsbs. Even the biggest V6 is rated at  236 horsepower and 266lbs-ft toque.

You Toyota people are fucking hilarious sometimes.  Hi-fucking-larious.

I hope to God you realize you're towing what a fucking TRUCK should be pulling, not an over-inflated Matchbox car.  One day you'll need to stop that load or move that load fast, and shit is going to hit the fan, and you run a VERY real risk of killing other people around you for your fucking stupidity of vehicle choice.  It's fucking irresponsible to pull that kind of weight with a truck that was meant to be filled with bicycles or a canoe, not 12,000lbs worth of roofing supplies. I fucking hope that you wisen up and get a fucking truck designed to do what you're forcing this underbuilt truck to do.

I even took the fucking liberty to find a goddamn truck suitable for you near Oregon.  For the love of everything people hold dear, get a bigger goddamned truck.

Something like this, please
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Hard to beat the F-1 Fiddy Platinum.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I love my Taco. Handles great, get's good gas mileage, and is easy to park.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/9761408/163_0808_04z+saleen_f150_s331+front_view.jpg

That's.... cute?

Why on earth would you waste a perfectly good truck?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Also F150 Crew Cab will be good for hauling around grandkids and their stuff.

Both the F150 and Taco get the best safety rating from IIHS, in the 2010 bracket, so that's all good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you SURE you are towing 12k lbs?  I don't think you are.  With the heavy loads I have towed I had no reason, given my truck's performance, to doubt it's ability to handle it, but the load was obviously noticeable, and in a jam I think I could get away with exceeding it by maybe a couple thousand pounds without breaking my truck in half, but I am conservative with manufacturer's ratings.  I am more concerned with tounge weight than actual towing load in the first place.

12,000 pounds?  No way I would try this with my Tacoma.  Holy shit, what is your tounge weight?  I really like my Tacoma and it has served me perfectly for what it is designed for, but let's not get silly about it's potential.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
F150
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you SURE you are towing 12k lbs?  I don't think you are.  With the heavy loads I have towed I had no reason, given my truck's performance, to doubt it's ability to handle it, but the load was obviously noticeable, and in a jam I think I could get away with exceeding it by maybe a couple thousand pounds without breaking my truck in half, but I am conservative with manufacturer's ratings.  I am more concerned with tounge weight than actual towing load in the first place.

12,000 pounds?  No way I would try this with my Tacoma.  Holy shit, what is your tounge weight?  I really like my Tacoma and it has served me perfectly for what it is designed for, but let's not get silly about it's potential.

Yeah, I think his figures are off a lot.  I love Taco's.  I bought an '05 when they first came out and had for a year, until the divorce.  I've been dreaming of getting another one every day since then.  But, even with the TRD Off-Road package and it's towing upgrades, the truck was only rated for towing 6,000 lbs., not 6 tons.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I've owned both and like both. But the last rating I saw on the internet favored the Tacoma. I'm driving one now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I am currently trying to find a tacoma.  I have 16.5K CASH to spend out the door for a used tacoma.  I want a crew cab, preferably 2005 or newer with anything less than 80,000 Miles.  I CANNOT believe how expense they are.  I found a 2006 with 92K miles on it for 16.9K!!>!>>!>?!?!!?  I know these things last but COME ON!

Everyone tells me that they last "forever" but I am hesitant to buy a car with 90,000 miles on it for 17K!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Bleh, forget about all the union crap. 1/2 ton Chevy/GMC trucks are the way to go. Especially with the 6.0.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

Awwww, look, Steve hot rodded a Ranchero.

That is Super Cute!

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

Perfect compliment for a "Glock fotay"
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Does the V6 4.0L engine do better than 20 MPG?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I know I'm a little late to the pricing argument....  but..

I just picked up a 2010 F150 XLT SCAB 5.4 3V 4x4 6 speed auto.  No leather, small 17" wheels, but every other available option (including the 35 gallon tank ) for just a tick over $28K

Same color as earlier poster's pic on the beach.

I wouldn't trust a Taco to haul anything more than square bales or bicycles.  Sorry, just couldn't do it
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd opt for the F-150.  But before I bought that, I'd move to the F-250.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am currently trying to find a tacoma.  I have 16.5K CASH to spend out the door for a used tacoma.  I want a crew cab, preferably 2005 or newer with anything less than 80,000 Miles.  I CANNOT believe how expense they are.  I found a 2006 with 92K miles on it for 16.9K!!>!>>!>?!?!!?  I know these things last but COME ON!

Everyone tells me that they last "forever" but I am hesitant to buy a car with 90,000 miles on it for 17K!!!

As long as its been serviced well, 90k miles isn't really a whole lot.  Especially if they are mostly just highway miles.  $17k is "roughly" half the sticker price for a new one and 92k miles is "roughly" half of it's repair free lifetime, speaking generally.  So while it's a lot to spend, it isn't all THAT bad.

You might have to drive a little ways to get one, but keep your eyes on ebay and toyotanation.com.   I see them there for sale frequently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
F-150.  It's 10 times the truck for the same price, maybe a 1-2 grand more.

bout 10 grand more

I paid $26,150 for mine. What are the Tacoma's going for?

A shitload more than $16k as of a year ago.  Fuck toyota fanboys.

I wanted to get a ford.  They were to expensive.

Heres what i wanted in my truck:

biggest motor available, automatic, tow package, 4x4, no one legged rear end, extended or crew cab.  Show me a ford under 30k.

Got a taco loaded up for that much.

I'm not saying an equally equipped f150 would have not have more power, higher towing capacity , etc.  But the Taco can fulfill my needs easily.

My first Taco was a 2008, and it was a 4-cylinder, regular cab 4x4.  I paid about $16,000 for it.  2wd regular cab fleet-style trucks start at about $14k, I think.

I traded it for an extended cab because I needed the room, and it was quite a bit more expensive.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

That is Super Cute!

Wow, I really hit a nerve with that one. Cool. Envy is sure a bitch sometimes.

Maybe this is more your thing? Either way, Toyota ain't got SHIT on Ford.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshitometer going off.

You're telling me that a Toyota Tacoma is pulling 12,000lbs up and down hills while getting 16-17mpg?

You do realize that MY truck––Full-framed, 10.25" rear axle, 6.0L V8, heavy-duty 4spd auto, Hydroboost braking system, 4-wheel disc, 4.10's, load-range E tires, 8-lug axles, anti-sway hitch, etc. is rated at a MAXIMUM of 12,700lbs with a fifth wheel?

You do realize that YOUR truck––even with the typically inflated Toyota HP/TQ #'s and load ratings, is rated for a maximum of 6500lbs tow rating and a payload rating of about 1650lsbs. Even the biggest V6 is rated at  236 horsepower and 266lbs-ft toque.

You Toyota people are fucking hilarious sometimes.  Hi-fucking-larious.

I hope to God you realize you're towing what a fucking TRUCK should be pulling, not an over-inflated Matchbox car.  One day you'll need to stop that load or move that load fast, and shit is going to hit the fan, and you run a VERY real risk of killing other people around you for your fucking stupidity of vehicle choice.  It's fucking irresponsible to pull that kind of weight with a truck that was meant to be filled with bicycles or a canoe, not 12,000lbs worth of roofing supplies. I fucking hope that you wisen up and get a fucking truck designed to do what you're forcing this underbuilt truck to do.

I even took the fucking liberty to find a goddamn truck suitable for you near Oregon.  For the love of everything people hold dear, get a bigger goddamned truck.

Something like this, please

Deaf ears, man. They are NOT gonna listen over the sound of their awesomeness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as its been serviced well, 90k miles isn't really a whole lot.  Especially if they are mostly just highway miles.  $17k is "roughly" half the sticker price for a new one and 92k miles is "roughly" half of it's repair free lifetime, speaking generally.  So while it's a lot to spend, it isn't all THAT bad.

You might have to drive a little ways to get one, but keep your eyes on ebay and toyotanation.com.   I see them there for sale frequently.

Good advice, thx.  I will keep eyes open.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

That is Super Cute!

http://fordnewsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/2010-ford-svt-f-150-raptor2.jpg

And what does that thing cost?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it not factual that the Tacoma holds it value better than the F-150? Go do a quick search on CL for whatever year Tacoma vs F-150 and let me know what you come up with. As far as reliability its really a gamble. I have a buddy that had 350k+ on his 02 F-150 ( it was a rattle trap though) and its certainly not unheard of for a Toyota to have 300k+ on most of their vehicles. I would say it is reasonable to label Toyota more reliable than a Ford even though you can get Fords that do run for a good bit of time

BTW guess what I will be doing this weekend? Changing a water pump on my sisters 07 Mustang w/50k.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

I've never seen a Saleen Toyota.  I think there was a supercharged Ivan Stewart off-road Taco.

Plenty of race teams use Tacomas and Tundras to good success, off road and hill climbs and so forth.

The F150 is a good truck for its uses... a work truck.  A Taco is a good truck for its uses... commuting and off roading.  A Taco does OK, but a full size is better for heavy hauling and towing.

I never liked the fords really until they started getting 2010's at work.  Ford did a good job with those.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

That is Super Cute!

Looky there, the Gall'darn Union idiots didn't even bother installing the fog lights!!!

BTW, OP, I would go with the TACO..the F-150 isn't going to do a damn thing that the TACO won't.

If you are towing stuff, you should be looking at a 1-ton with a diesel, anyway.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I love my Mustang......but I also currently own 3 Toyota's. Tundra!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Look in the harshest environments on Earth...Australian Outback, Afghanistan, Sahara Desert...you won't see any Ford trucks there (except for the ones Uncle Sam bought and gave away). What you will see is Toyota trucks. Everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Tundra is the truck to compare the the F150.   I wouldn't bother with most small trucks, they don't get good enough mileage to make up the difference in carrying and towing.   My 3/4 ton diesel pickup gets 3mpg better than the wife's small/mid size SUV.

QFT   My old Frontier is reliable, etc. after nearly 200k miles, but I regret not having a full-size truck, because mine has always averaged 16 mpg. The F-150 I had years ago, with a 4.6 V8 and long bed averaged 20 mpg. There is no advantage to the current "small" trucks. Now if they started marking truly small trucks again with gas sipping 4 bangers, and if they didn't cost $30k, it might be a different story.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, no shit.

That is Super Cute!

Do you hold some kind of high ranking position with Ford?

I find it strange that you get so but hurt over people not giving a shit about Ford products.  People getting so defensive over a brand of vehicle was the norm back in elementary school, but I haven't seen a mature adult that didn't have his livelihood depend on a product get so emotional........
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top