Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You are right, I can't play that well any more. I am actually better. But I have been doing it a lot longer.

Also the Van Halen doesn't have the swing of the genuine article. It's obvious that she isn't having fun with it.

Van Halens phrasing always sounded like he was having a great time telling a joke or story with his playing.

VH is a jester.

She is very good, but she needs that little push over the cliff. She will get there, she has the technical chops.

What she needs to do is not demos, she needs to compose new music. Study theory. That's the force multiplier.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Reminds me of mattrach

He was 15 the first time I saw him on French tv !

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
She isn't even working hard. WOW
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Does that video seem like it's been sped up?
I'm not trying to criticize; I mean, I just got Rocksmith and can't even make it through the first damn lesson on slides, I'm total shit and she's awesome.
But some of that video looks faster than it should be, and not just the strumming or fretting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Like me some Dragonforce . Your daughter is great...
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are right, I can't play that well any more. I am actually better. But I have been doing it a lot longer.

Also the Van Halen doesn't have the swing of the genuine article. It's obvious that she isn't having fun with it.

Van Halens phrasing always sounded like he was having a great time telling a joke or story with his playing.

VH is a jester.

She is very good, but she needs that little push over the cliff. She will get there, she has the technical chops.

What she needs to do is not demos, she needs to compose new music. Study theory. That's the force multiplier.

View Quote

This. It looks like she's just doing scales and is bored. When Eddie played Eruption live, he was having a blast and obviously enjoying himself. It would be awesome to see her playing a song that she was that enthused about. She has fantastic talent, just needs to let it shine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Incredible for her age, but what she's playing is extremely basic stuff. I'm as big a metal head as anyone but that stuff there is painfully rudimentary. Just ripping up and down the same scale, 4/4 time signature from start to finish. I'm not ragging on her, it's not her fault she didn't write it. And I sure as hell wasn't anywhere near that good at 15. Or even 20.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
ARFCOM guitar gods tell me you have to look like you're passing a kidney stone or you have no soul.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The problem with a lot of these young guitarists is that while they can hit the notes and can technically play the piece.... they have no SOUL. That's something that comes with time.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Another young prodigy!

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now if only she would take that talent and apply it to some music with a little soul.
View Quote

"music without soul"

Common term for "I don't like that music"
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"music without soul"

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now if only she would take that talent and apply it to some music with a little soul.

"music without soul"

Translated as: I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about while criticizing a technically sound musician I don't like.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]
not bad but don`t think any of you have heard about Sakura.

http://www.sakura-website.com/

or  Sarah Longfield

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCebyBCG2i893i9hbo1mImpQ
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Dragonforce sucks no matter who is playing it
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Shit... and I couldn't even get past the first solo on Hard.

Sorta reminds me a bit of Lindsey Stirling, though in Lindsey's case she's got a lot of emotion in her stuff.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
A gifted young musician for sure and she has worked her ass off developing that skill. I'm always impressed with young people who work hard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FUCKIN METAL
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Reminds me of mattrach

He was 15 the first time I saw him on French tv !

http://youtu.be/wam-oMub8EU
View Quote

LOL the picture of Slash on his wall.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Kid has skills....set for life...can't wait to hear her plan her own tunes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Very proud parents there!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to criticize; I mean, I just got Rocksmith and can't even make it through the first damn lesson on slides, I'm total shit and she's awesome.
But some of that video looks faster than it should be, and not just the strumming or fretting.
View Quote

Glad it wasn't just me.
Video does look sped up. She has talent, no question. When she chews gum in the video or moves her head you can tell.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Dang, never could play that song on guitar hero
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:48:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow.  Very nice
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Some philanthropist should purchase and send a MIJ Ibanez JEM to her.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:35:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ARFCOM guitar gods tell me you have to look like you're passing a kidney stone or you have no soul.
View Quote

Hey I thought it was more like trying to drop a duece  after eating really spicy food the night before.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Glad it wasn't just me.
Video does look sped up. She has talent, no question. When she chews gum in the video or moves her head you can tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad it wasn't just me.

Speed looks completely natural.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

VH is a jester.

View Quote

I can agree with that. She has incredible talent - more than I'll ever have at guitar. Her Eruption video was kind of a letdown. Her technique was flawless, but everything sounded incredibly rushed and forced. She needs to relax and have some fun with the song. Was never really a fan of Dragonforce. Any time I see their name I remember this video...

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Her technical ability is off the charts. She has a talent that few have, hands down.

She now needs to put the shred down and learn stuff like Stevie Ray so she develops feel, which would round out her playing. EVH can tear it up and brings loads of feeling into his playing, which is what she needs to learn.

Give her another 5 years as her playing matures from speedster to mature player, that is going to be even more impressive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Incredible dexterity, speed, and technical skill. no phrasing, no soul.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Awesome talent, and I have zero desire to ever listen to it again.

Apropos of nothing, is there a band with a more cringeworthy name than Dragonforce? Sounds like something a fat kid that works at the sword booth in a flea market would name a band. Just terrible.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#36]
lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

VH is a jester.

View Quote

I'm no musician but I can tell you know what your talking about. Her technical skills are excellent but shes
not enjoying the song the way it was intended to be played.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure, but the video was shot in multiple takes.

At 1:58 her hair is hanging over the neck of the guitar, then at 2:00-2:01 its behind it, instantly.

I'm not saying she isn't good, but the video was shot in AT LEAST, 2 takes, possibly more.

Also, look at 4:44-4:45 where she bumps the whammy bar, and as it cuts to the next scene it isn't as far down.

Shit, again right at the 5:00 mark as the scene changes, so does the whammy bar lol.

I give up at this point.  She is still good though, but not one take good.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#39]
No way she can play better than me.

Simple fact. She's a girl and I'm a man.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Was pretty awesome.  I'm sure the dudes of Dragon Force would be proud.

Also the dudes from Dragon Force can't play Through Fire and Flames on Guitar Hero.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

At 1:58 her hair is hanging over the neck of the guitar, then at 2:00-2:01 its behind it, instantly.

I'm not saying she isn't good, but the video was shot in AT LEAST, 2 takes, possibly more.

Also, look at 4:44-4:45 where she bumps the whammy bar, and as it cuts to the next scene it isn't as far down.

Shit, again right at the 5:00 mark as the scene changes, so does the whammy bar lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure there were a lot of takes done and that may explain what seems like a lack of enjoyment in her demeanor.  She is a kid that probably just wants to play while someone is pushing her.  She is very good at her age so I would imagine she had enough personal drive and it may ruin it for her by making it a "job".

I've seen enough documentaries of in the studio recording from my favorite players to know no one records a song in one take.  They may improvise a solo in "one take", but in reality they did several different ones and picked the best one.  They also "punch in" a lot to over dub little flaws.

The girl has put in a lot of time to get that good along with having natural talent I'm sure.  Let her be a kid and enjoy playing don't make it a job for her when she is only 15.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL2a68aQmOE-------- Presley Barker- Steel guitar Blues        [10 yrs old]
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No way she can play better than me.

Simple fact. She's a girl and I'm a man.
View Quote
But can you take her in the ring?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Sweet.

I'd like to see her try Fury of the Storm.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA4DIs-CcJA

The above version is a little more impressive.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Team her up with this kid !

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Omg.

This child is awesome.  She makes it look effortless.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Glad it wasn't just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad it wasn't just me.

Agreed during the solos. I'm not knocking her. The original band has been accused of doing the same thing!
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed during the solos. I'm not knocking her. The original band has been accused of doing the same thing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad it wasn't just me.

So, she played it slowly- but only during the solos- then they sped up the solos, while keeping the whole song in perfect time?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I live in Middle Tennessee.

Everyone here plays guitar better than I do.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top