Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have understood that the "explosive force" of 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 10 sticks of dynamite. Not trying to keep beating on the same topic of the "Joker killings" in CO but it sure does seem to me that a 20 gal full tank full would equal approx. 200 sticks of dynamite. Seems to me that the killer could have done a lot more damage with something along those lines.

Someone should ask the antis why don't they want more gasoline control.

Just a thought

camaro

not true

explosive force is measured in RE (relative explosive) factor TNT is 1, dynamite is .96, C4 is 1.34, gasoline does not have an RE Factor of 10

Some civilian explosives have different REFs, but yes, people are confusing combustion with explosion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another thing that I just thought about was how many folks were killed in the OKC bombing. That sicko didn't use firearms, if I'm not mistaken the damage was done with "in laymen's terms" diesel fuel and cowshit.

So there is another thing for the antis since we are "needing more control".....ban diesel and cow shit(even seperately) for the children

camaro

McVey used ammonium nitrate, among other things. And AN was all but banned because of it (it's still legal just hard to find and much more controlled).

NO it's NOT , the only problem is finding hazmat qualified drivers to haul it
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another thing that I just thought about was how many folks were killed in the OKC bombing. That sicko didn't use firearms, if I'm not mistaken the damage was done with "in laymen's terms" diesel fuel and cowshit.

So there is another thing for the antis since we are "needing more control".....ban diesel and cow shit(even seperately) for the children

camaro

this has been exactly my argument forever. People will always have access to tremendously devastaing means in which to kill, if you ban guns they will move to explosives and pipe bombs, try to ban explosives and pipe bombs they will just move on to vehicles and large crowds, ban cars and people will start using arson and molotovs as a method to murder, ban that and people will still fly aircraft into buildings, ban aircraft and your still left with ANFO, which as we all know is incredibly powerful and destructive, what do we do then, ban fertilizer so we can no longer grow food and ban fuel oil.... right.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically the same method as flour or other combustible particulate.

Used to always hear about the grain silos exploding. It would be interesting to see how that works out.

Wouldn't the media and antis shit themselves if someone developed a flour bomb that was capable of killing hundreds of people in a confined space.

I KNOW wood dust ,about 2 cups worth, from a sander , when thrown in a fire WILL flash/explode enough to burn your facial hair OFF
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no they don't but dynamite will work

No it won't... not without a primary explosive.

Dynamite will set off anfo

I will take your low order detonation and raise you... what primary are you going to use to set off your dynamite?

In short, without a primary explosive, you will not detonate ANFO with dynamite.... low order doesn't count.

you use a blasting cap to set off the dynamite off and the anfo to increase the force
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have understood that the "explosive force" of 1 gallon of gasoline is equal to 10 sticks of dynamite. Not trying to keep beating on the same topic of the "Joker killings" in CO but it sure does seem to me that a 20 gal full tank full would equal approx. 200 sticks of dynamite. Seems to me that the killer could have done a lot more damage with something along those lines.

Someone should ask the antis why don't they want more gasoline control.

Just a thought

camaro

not true

explosive force is measured in RE (relative explosive) factor TNT is 1, dynamite is .96, C4 is 1.34, gasoline does not have an RE Factor of 10

It is relative effectiveness not relative explosive but hey correct a wrong answer with a wrong answer this is GD.

This whole thread has so much explosive half truths and witch craft its remarkable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used to always hear about the grain silos exploding. It would be interesting to see how that works out.

Wouldn't the media and antis shit themselves if someone developed a flour bomb that was capable of killing hundreds of people in a confined space.

Uh, there is a way, but it uses more than just flour.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Here's how we make explosives with cheap, easy-to-find chemicals.

You guys act like ANNM or ANFO is a state secret.

I can't believe I just clicked that link. I'm probably on some list now.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no they don't but dynamite will work

No it won't... not without a primary explosive.

Dynamite will set off anfo

I will take your low order detonation and raise you... what primary are you going to use to set off your dynamite?

In short, without a primary explosive, you will not detonate ANFO with dynamite.... low order doesn't count.

Are you saying that a cap (primary) to dynamite (secondary) won't initiate ANFO (main charge)?

Dynamite will sympathetically detonate ANFO. I will concede that ANFO is very difficult to initiate and the better the mixture and the better the fuel the easier it is. But you can take NG dynamite and shoot it with a rifle and it will detonate ANFO. I have done it. No primary explosives used. Most ANFO isn't cap sensitive either the key to ANFO is the booster.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:44:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you get natural gas without the mercaptan odor added?
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Brother, you were on a list when you clicked on the AR15.com link.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, there is a way, but it uses more than just flour.

sugar will explod also
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brother, you were on a list when you clicked on the AR15.com link.
How I know that... However 99.99% of Arfcomers are gun loving NON radicals.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you saying that a cap (primary) to dynamite (secondary) won't initiate ANFO (main charge)?

Dynamite will sympathetically detonate ANFO. I will concede that ANFO is very difficult to initiate and the better the mixture and the better the fuel the easier it is. But you can take NG dynamite and shoot it with a rifle and it will detonate ANFO. I have done it. No primary explosives used. Most ANFO isn't cap sensitive either the key to ANFO is the booster.

The cap's primary explosive would be ETN, PETN, RDX, etc, etc, etc... NO ANFO is going to go without a primary and a booster. I am saying that dynamite makes a poor booster (even if a functional one) because of its low RE factor. So, in summation, dynamite alone will NOT detonate ANFO. NG Dynamite, while it MAY work, is by no means a sure thing, and often leads to low order detonation of an already uncertain (Mixture vary by batch) explosive (ANFO).  

No half truth of witch craft there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cap's primary explosive would be ETN, PETN, RDX, etc, etc, etc... NO ANFO is going to go without a primary and a booster. I am saying that dynamite makes a poor booster (even if a functional one) because of its low RE factor. So, in summation, dynamite alone will NOT detonate ANFO. NG Dynamite, while it MAY work, is by no means a sure thing, and often leads to low order detonation of an already uncertain (Mixture vary by batch) explosive (ANFO).  

Actually what your refer to as primary explosives (PETN, RDX etc) are not primary explosives.  The primaries are Fulminate of Mercury, Lead Azide, Lead Styphnate, Barium Chromate, etc, etc. The PETN and RDX you refer to is the base charge in the cap but would not detonate unless the explosive train of primaries weren't amplified before them. Thats a half truth right there.

Dynamite (you must be referring to Military Dynamite, which is NOT dynamite) makes a poor booster? Dynamite simply means it contains nitroglycerine. The US military in all of its infinite wisdom decided to create a dynamite imposter by making an explosive that looks like but does not act like real dynamite.  Mil Dynamite contains no nitro and has a very low RE factor but it certainly is capable of initiating ANFO (Especially blasting agent ANFO or a mixture that an expert is capable of making). Outside of the little world we call the USA, dynamite is produced by the hundreds of thousands of pounds and contains nitro - not the imposter and misnomer military dynamite the US military uses. Check the RE on nitro and then tell me dymanite will not effectively initiate ANFO.

The real argument is that we keep throwing ANFO around like there is a standard. There isnt. There are many different grades of precursors to make ANFO and the wrong mixture only makes the main charge harder to detonate.  If you know what you are doing and have access to very easily obtainable chemicals, you can make ANFO cap sensitive - no booster needed!

After all that I agree with most of what you are saying and I think you of all the people commenting in this thread have the best grasp of explosives. I hardly ever comment but H.E. gets my blood going.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
The new ford shelby gt500 at its top speed of 200 mph will consume the entire tank of fuel in just 13 minutes and get about 3mpg.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess all those years and thousands of holes that I help the blaster load with real nitro based dynamite follow by anfo  didn't do anything. Wait I forgot it help to move thousands and thousands of tons of rock. I be sure to tell the blaster what you has to say and will let you know what he thinks
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess all those years and thousands of holes that I help the blaster load with real nitro based dynamite follow by anfo  didn't do anything. Wait I forgot it help to move thousands and thousands of tons of rock. I be sure to tell the blaster what you had to say and will let you know what he thinks

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess all those years and thousands of holes that I help the blaster load with real nitro based dynamite follow by anfo  didn't do anything. Wait I forgot it help to move thousands and thousands of tons of rock. I be sure to tell the blaster what you has to say and will let you know what he thinks

This thread has been hilarious reading. I'm with you, man.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually what your refer to as primary explosives (PETN, RDX etc) are not primary explosives.  The primaries are Fulminate of Mercury, Lead Azide, Lead Styphnate, Barium Chromate, etc, etc. The PETN and RDX you refer to is the base charge in the cap but would not detonate unless the explosive train of primaries weren't amplified before them. Thats a half truth right there.

Dynamite (you must be referring to Military Dynamite, which is NOT dynamite) makes a poor booster? Dynamite simply means it contains nitroglycerine. The US military in all of its infinite wisdom decided to create a dynamite imposter by making an explosive that looks like but does not act like real dynamite.  Mil Dynamite contains no nitro and has a very low RE factor but it certainly is capable of initiating ANFO (Especially blasting agent ANFO or a mixture that an expert is capable of making). Outside of the little world we call the USA, dynamite is produced by the hundreds of thousands of pounds and contains nitro - not the imposter and misnomer military dynamite the US military uses. Check the RE on nitro and then tell me dymanite will not effectively initiate ANFO.

The real argument is that we keep throwing ANFO around like there is a standard. There isnt. There are many different grades of precursors to make ANFO and the wrong mixture only makes the main charge harder to detonate.  If you know what you are doing and have access to very easily obtainable chemicals, you can make ANFO cap sensitive - no booster needed!

After all that I agree with most of what you are saying and I think you of all the people commenting in this thread have the best grasp of explosives. I hardly ever comment but H.E. gets my blood going.

I never really thought of the lead azide and barium chromates as the "primary explosive", but I can see what you mean, we use those to MAKE what we would call a "primary"... I think some of that is my particular work simplifying things for us "knuckle draggers".

I am referring to military dynamite, but know the difference. I have just never realized that the NG Dynamite had that much of a higher RE factor. I assumed they were all below 1... despite knowing that Dynamite was more powerful than TNT... I guess I should have made that connection.

We had a talk about it at work today, because this subject was annoying me. I think if people are making ANFO and grinding their prills and using baker's sugar and nitromethane, they are probably producing cap sensitive ANFO, but I know almost NO ONE who makes ANFO that way, or has any interest in doing so. I guess that my mindset has been ruined by being taught to value safety and stability over sensitivity.

I'm spoiled, and threads like this open my eyes beyond the realm of backyard cookers and military grade explosives.

Link Posted: 7/26/2012 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I guess all those years and thousands of holes that I help the blaster load with real nitro based dynamite follow by anfo  didn't do anything. Wait I forgot it help to move thousands and thousands of tons of rock. I be sure to tell the blaster what you had to say and will let you know what he thinks

I finally got to talk to the blaster  he had a good laugh and then suggested that you go back to school LOL. He had a few other things to say but they might run afoul of the COC so I wont post them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I finally got to talk to the blaster  he had a good laugh and then suggested that you go back to school LOL. He had a few other things to say but they might run afoul of the COC so I wont post them.

How about I start...

I teach at the school, and blow explosives daily. I ceded that I wasn't tracking the NG/Mil differences and should have been... Military dynamite isn't going to make standard ANFO go... When i get my hands on some NG dynamite I'll have a go with it.

Tell your inbred blaster to stop finger banging his sister with his last two good digits and get back to work, those rocks won't move themselves.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Just to throw a spanner in the works here for the explosives guys, I can set off anything normally initiated by a blasting cap with NO explosive.

The oilfield is WAY ahead of the explosives industry when it comes to blasting caps, and the current iteration uses no explosive whatever, it uses a flex board with frequency generators, and when a specific frequency is reached, it ruptures a captured foil, which is pushed forward at over 26000fps, simulating an explosive detonation, which in turn initiates the det cord.

Its an incredibly interesting technology.

See http://www.slb.com/~/media/Files/perforating/product_sheets/wireline_perforating/secure_detonator.ashx
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just to throw a spanner in the works here for the explosives guys, I can set off anything normally initiated by a blasting cap with NO explosive.

The oilfield is WAY ahead of the explosives industry when it comes to blasting caps, and the current iteration uses no explosive whatever, it uses a flex board with frequency generators, and when a specific frequency is reached, it ruptures a captured foil, which is pushed forward at over 26000fps, simulating an explosive detonation, which in turn initiates the det cord.

Its an incredibly interesting technology.

See http://www.slb.com/~/media/Files/perforating/product_sheets/wireline_perforating/secure_detonator.ashx

Does that work as well on compounds that require heat and pressure to detonate?
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Name an explosive that DOESN'T require heat and pressure to detonate...
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a couple I've been told not to expose to open flame or heat sources. Never had the balls to prove my intructors wrong, though. I was thinking more like c4, where you can light it on fire or whack it with a hammer, just don't do both.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a couple I've been told not to expose to open flame or heat sources. Never had the balls to prove my intructors wrong, though. I was thinking more like c4, where you can light it on fire or whack it with a hammer, just don't do both.

I think myth busters busted that myth a while back
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue. I'm talking about military explosives. They use civilian stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about I start...

I teach at the school, and blow explosives daily. I ceded that I wasn't tracking the NG/Mil differences and should have been... Military dynamite isn't going to make standard ANFO go... When i get my hands on some NG dynamite I'll have a go with it.

Tell your inbred blaster to stop finger banging his sister with his last two good digits and get back to work, those rocks won't move themselves.

interesting where is this school and what is the cost? I have use alot  of explosives over the years but have always want to take some formal training.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#30]
What about the ford truck that had 14 people kill in it?Of course they were illegal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue. I'm talking about military explosives. They use civilian stuff.

They claim to use C4 is not that military
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is if the gas has an ideal mixture with the air (which rarely happens) of around 14:1.     You would be lucky to get a 10% yield.

FAE ftw.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

interesting where is this school and what is the cost? I have use alot  of explosives over the years but have always want to take some formal training.

School's location: Ft. Bragg, NC

School's Cost: 5 years of your life... minimum.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty Much
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I love it when a thread gets fucked up with misinformation only to be saved by those who really have a clue. Interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:30:28 AM EDT
[#36]
What if I squeezed a Piccolo Pete with pliers and then stuffed it into some anfo.......
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

FYI... today, I burned PETN and RDX. I also lit det cord with a lighter... I have all my fingers.

Heat and pressure.. for all explosives.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Gasoline is a fuel, not always explosive.  It needs oxygen which if you remember, is heavier than carbon and hydrogen which are the atoms that make up gasoline.

Dynamite which is usually nitroglycerine, contains its own oxygen.  Which is  why gasoline has more ENERGY per pound or cubic foot than nitroglycerine.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Most transmission pipelines are free of odorants.  It is in the distribution network (city gate) where odorants are added.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most transmission pipelines are free of odorants.  It is in the distribution network (city gate) where odorants are added.

Propane is available without the stink for airsoft - much more expensive of course.
ETA: 'natural gas' is not only, or even mostly, propane, but in this context, it is a functional substitute.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI... today, I burned PETN and RDX. I also lit det cord with a lighter... I have all my fingers.

And now I know. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Nitro-methane (drag car fuel) and ammonium nitrate fertilizer.

+1

We use to use this at the Hun Farm events. I am sure I have video somewhere.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

camaro

this has been exactly my argument forever. People will always have access to tremendously devastaing means in which to kill, if you ban guns they will move to explosives and pipe bombs, try to ban explosives and pipe bombs they will just move on to vehicles and large crowds, ban cars and people will start using arson and molotovs as a method to murder, ban that and people will still fly aircraft into buildings, ban aircraft and your still left with ANFO, which as we all know is incredibly powerful and destructive, what do we do then, ban fertilizer so we can no longer grow food and ban fuel oil.... right.

Wait till someone blows something up with flour.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Propane is available without the stink for airsoft - much more expensive of course.

ETA: 'natural gas' is not only, or even mostly, propane, but in this context, it is a functional substitute.

And as a substitute for refrigerants.  Natural gas is mostly methane, when it contains appreciable amounts of ethane, it is diluted with air to about 1000 BTU/cubic foot.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And as a substitute for refrigerants.  Natural gas is mostly methane, when it contains appreciable amounts of ethane, it is diluted with air to about 1000 BTU/cubic foot.

How big of a bottle would one need to slowly fill a theater size room with the optimal mix over the course of say a 2 hour movie? Nah don't answer (unless it's not possible).

My point is for a lot of these nutjobs we're lucky they're not creative enough to go beyond grabbing a rifle and shooting up the place.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How big of a bottle would one need to slowly fill a theater size room with the optimal mix over the course of say a 2 hour movie? Nah don't answer (unless it's not possible).

My point is for a lot of these nutjobs we're lucky they're not creative enough to go beyond grabbing a rifle and shooting up the place.

HVAC would dilute concentration so forget slowly.  Uniform concentration at the range of  flammability limits would be very difficult to do.

Most fuel gases like propane have rather stable burn rate.  They don't explode, just burn.  While dramatic, they are low in explosive power.  Unlike acetylene which IS explosive.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The liquefied stuff  LNG has no added odor from what I understand.

Link Posted: 7/27/2012 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

HVAC would dilute concentration so forget slowly.  Uniform concentration at the range of  flammability limits would be very difficult to do.

Most fuel gases like propane have rather stable burn rate.  They don't explode, just burn.  While dramatic, they are low in explosive power.  Unlike acetylene which IS explosive.

Thats what I was thinking about.  I guess we should be happy no nut job has figured it out yet, otherwise we'd have to get a background check and psych-eval every time the tanks ran out
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing you need to add is that you can have heat with little to no pressure, but when you have pressure you will always have heat. This is why a modern Diesel engine is able to function without an outside (spark plug) ignition source. Diesel is a combustible and gasoline is a flammable, it may seem like a small distinction but it is a very big difference. Oh and light fuel oil (aka diesel / kerosine / JP8) has more energy by volume than gasoline.
Link Posted: 7/27/2012 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Ten sticks of dynamite will NOT get you down to the store for a loaf  of bread.
Neither will a gallon of gasoline  re-route a creek bed.
Your equivalence has failure in it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top