Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
USNJOE/RED, you are correct, I was a GS-13 equiv, but was a  DOD contractor not a GS. I built classified ATM switched networks and was the team lead on installs and light off support. My normal day would consist of meeting with the CO, XO, OPS and COMMS officers about the upgrade or install (if it was a PRECOMM). Many a time it got into a pissing match over the time frame of the install or the CO of the ship just didn't want to upgrade. I understand that they are protective of their ships, but it is SPAWAR's job to get the fleet battle ready. On the back of my SPAWAR badge it said GS-13 Equiv (which is LCDR). If you don't know, contractors make TONS more money than GS's. I work with 3 GS-12's and have them beat in salary by $20k (no boast just the way it is).  To have some authority and conduct the will of SPAWAR I had a rank that warranted some authority. I often had to call the CO of SPAWAR and advise them I couldn't complete my task because the CO had his own agenda . Believe me, I have been kicked off many a ship because I told a CO how, what and where something was going to work. I am not trying to make you think I was some DEMI-GOD wearing khakis and ordering everyone around. I tried my best to get the job done as quick as possible with the least amount of stress. So if you are not a DOD contractor in the IT field or a have never worked for SPAWAR, don't call me a liar. I could careless if you folks think I am grandstanding. I have nothing to prove to you and want nothing from you. What would lieing about something as trivial as rank ever get me? I hope that I have answered your questions to the fullest.

C4
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
USNJoe, you're right, many bases in CA have been closed.  But the Navy has more than ships, and still has plenty of bases in CA besides San Diego.  See [http://www.militaryinfo.com/rptbasess.html].
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]THANK YOU EVERYBODY ![/b]After reading your answers and talking to a couple other people (ex Navy) she deceided to stay put and go to school.             [flag]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[b]THANK YOU EVERYBODY ![/b]After reading your answers and talking to a couple other people (ex Navy) she deceided to stay put and go to school.             [flag]
View Quote

Thank goodness.  I'm former Navy myself and have been biting my tongue like crazy watching this thread.  [:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#7]
USNJoe...I wont be back in the fleet for at least three years. Have another year at recruiting then off to NAVSCLEOD at NDSTC Panama city FLA. I hope to make CPO at school but after graduating I will have to cross rate so I doubt I will make CPO....I would rather be a HT1(EOD/SW/AW/DV/PJ/SAR) than a DCC. We will see.

HOO-YAH
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top