BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Another viewpoint....peeps like ar15fan find computer games like doom or quake to be exciting.
View Quote

Not at all. I have no interest in PC games. Never liked atari or nintendo either.

The movie LOTR was clearly made for those who read the books and those who played games like D&D. The other 99% of the worlds population will probubly not enjoy it as much as someone who wishes elves were real and played D&D through his 20's.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do I REALLY doubt that the number of people who have either

A. Read J.R.R. Tolkien's Books

and/or

B. Played D&D

amount to less than 1% of the world's population? Also, when you consider that this movie is primarily for the US and UK, that this %1 figure becomes even more unlikely?

I can't find the stats for the LOTR series books sales, but it's one of the best selleng fiction books of all time.

And, the supposition that "the rest" (%99 percent of the world's population) would probably dislike this movie, based soley on the fact that they aren't rabid D&D fans, it's just plain silly.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear you liked it.  I thought it was a close adaptation of the book, but was too "Hollywooded"  Liv Tyler get's cast...Now Arwen has this overstated role.  The worst part is all the bandwagon jumpers....

Now everyone is a Tolkien expert.  I studied Tolkien in depth in College.  I travelled to meet his son Christopher.  I have more Tolkien reference tham most people have books total...

Sure the movie will reach a new and wider crowd.  But the idea Tolkien had was that the story would force the reader to PARTICIPATE.  To think, to fantasize the world of Middle Earth.

Now an entire generation sits in front of a movie screen in a zombie state eating fattening food being spoonfed an "Adaptation" of the greatest novel ever written.

It's really pretty sad.  And in case you don't know, the remaining Tolkien family isn't too pleased with this movie being made.
Then again, nothing remains sacred forever...nothing.
[50]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Production costs were $120 million.  Lots of marketing opportunities for a film like this and Harry Potter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I get it now. AR15fan disliked the movie...that in and of itself is fine. Differences of opinion are why they have horse races.
But suddenly, when he finds that lots and lots of other people very much liked the movie, all those people become "1% of the population" that are "geeks" and "nerds" that played D&D simply because they read the Lord of the Rings.
What a crock of shit. Get over yourself man...you didn't like the movie.  That doesn't make the vast majority who DID like it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It does make me wonder about the Eowen part in books 2 and 3.  I will be pissed if they change that...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never read The Lord of the Rings, but loved the movie. I went to see it with three other people (all of us in our 40's, only one who ever read the book) and all of us loved the movie. I heard nothing but excited, positive comments from a totally sold out theater crowd of 260 as they left the movie. I think a heckuva lot more than 1% of the population will like this movie. It was a lot better than Harry Potter. I look forward to the sequels.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
LT: you were in Atlanta? Next time call me and we'll go shoot at my place if you are bored.

LOTR: Saw it today myself. Took my whole group at work to the 3 PM show. The early matinee time is the way to go - no crowds, theater to yourself, no blabbing. I missed Tom Bombadillo : they should of had Kelly Preston as the hippie chick! It sucks we have to wait for a year for the next (we all know how it turns out having read the books a zillion times), but, can you say "bootleg"?

How are they gonna keep a lid on those prints? They must be in Ft. Knox! [BD]

I haven't read Tolkien in 20 years, but I loved the flick. I have two young kids, and I dug out [u]The Hobbit[/u] to read to them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The movie LOTR was clearly made for those who read the books and those who played games like D&D. The other 99% of the worlds population will probubly not enjoy it as much as someone who wishes elves were real and played D&D through his 20's.
View Quote

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about LOTR. Well, consider I just knocked it off. I liked it, and I do not wish for elves to be real, nor did I ever play D&D or whatever. WTF is it to you if some happen to like the books or the movie? If you want to insult me because I liked LOTR, then do it boldly and let's get it on right now! Flame war! Or would you rather go see a Meg Ryan weepie? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LT: you were in Atlanta? Next time call me and we'll go shoot at my place if you are bored.

View Quote

I was only there for about 3hrs in morning for an interview. I wish I had more time. I would've posted on the board to see who wanted to go for beers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm your huckleberry next time yer in town. I've been here since college in the 80's, married a sexy Chamblee girl. I live way outta town in the rapidly dwindling sticks, but close enough to be there in less than 45 minutes. Email off-line and I'll give you my number in case you come back.

PS this place is WAY better than Houston. I went to Houston a few months ago to Fox Sports Net to fix a problem. You might have the edge in BBQ and guitar stores, but that's about it!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Production costs for the entire thing was $300 Million and took 15 months to film.  All three are finished.  If you think about it, it was a great idea.  For all three movies you get good continuity, the same actors playing their respective roles (and not aged), and no future production costs to make a sequel (or two).
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
To my fellow DFW AR15 dudes...
go see it at Grapevine Mills. Bigger screen and better sound......wow
the "twi-lite" shows between 4 and 6 are only $3.75   woooohooooo

Chris
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh god bless a marigold....me and rikwriter agree on something.....And for ar50troll, I am immensely happy that you have had those life experiences.......but sacred? The old man told stories and decided to give them to the world.
He was a creepy little bug that did not want to come in the new century----watch TV much JRR?
But I really respect him for all of his work and a brilliant collection of art that continues to this day to hold back the darkness for many people. AND But....I do not really give a good damn about what his relatives and HEIRS think about the movie. And If you don't think I was participating the other night, then you are out of your blinking mind. Many thousands of people went out on thursday and bought the BOOK to READ. And you want to throw rocks at it...Once again we have a learned man looking out the window of his ivory tower with disdain at the little people.....thanks
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Well,
I'll be going tonite to watch it..........

I'm really pumped now after going thru this thread.....I read all the books......Hobbit, then the trilogy......then the Silmarillion....then unfinish tales.....many times......can't wait.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I just hope the part where Strider and the hobbits are leaving Bree is in there - I want to hear Sam say "get your ugly face out of sight, Bill Ferny, or I'll hit it" then see him throw the apple that nails Ferny in the nose LOL
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I've never read the books, nor did I know anything about LOTR before the movie (never did get into the whole fantasy thing).  But I saw the movie on opening night and enjoyed it alot.  I had no problem understanding the story line, as they did a pretty good job at explaining it at the start of the show.  

I look forward to the next two. [:-)]

Hell, I might just have to get the books, too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, I've never read the books, nor did I know anything about LOTR before the movie (never did get into the whole fantasy thing).  But I saw the movie on opening night and enjoyed it alot.  I had no problem understanding the story line, as they did a pretty good job at explaining it at the start of the show.  

I look forward to the next two. [:-)]

Hell, I might just have to get the books, too.
View Quote

Huh?!?! Go figger...I've spoken to 3 people that have not read the book and did not like the movie. I thought I had figured out a pattern. Now you go and screw things up for me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out whats at the top now at

[url]www.imdb.com[/url]

on the top 250 movies of ALL time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Plus, I read the books and knew the story, so I knew what was going to happen.
View Quote

I think that is the key to enjoying this movie. It appears that those who grew up reading the books are more forgiving of this long boring movie.

I saw it in a full theature that holds about 500. at the end about 50 people clapped, mostly people dressed in LOTR related costumes. These were the same people that laughed at silly stuff like the wizard bumping his head in the hobbitts house, or the hobbitts hairy feet (which were showed over and over again).

When the credits rolled I overhead lots of complaints about the pace and length of the movie. A kind editor could turn it into a good 90 minute action adventure film instead of a 3 hour rambling epic journey film.
View Quote

-    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Deep Breath.  Deep Breath.

Ok.  I went with my brother, my girlfriend, my sister and HER boyfriend to go watch it.  I was BLOWN away.  Loved it.  Pure, unadulterated fun- made me feel like a kid again of 14 wishing he could SEE the Shire and battle the Balrog.  Now as an adult, it still made me teary eyed just feeling lucky to be alive to watch something that I never expected.

SO . . . MY sister, soulless as any "rational" adult (she's only a year apart from me) . . . GUSHES: OH that elf is just cute and Aragorn is JUST so MANLY.

I quailed at this hopeless wretch.  My sister- this blood and kin of mine- reality to her are front page magazine stories, E channel fashion news, MTV and Jennifer Lopez news.  God Almighty.  This WONDERFUL epic that was faithfully mastered and recreated- and ALL she gave a GODDAMNED about was actor's LOOKS.  Soulless, unimaginative, "reality" conscious, empty shell.  

YES, I read the book, and yes i SAW the animated movies when i was younger.  And for all those "adults" out there- This was an amazing movie.  

Rambling OFF

PS- my sister is the type to watch and do stuff because of HYPE.  HEY. . .would it help if I said also she's graduating this year to be a DO?  Osteopathic Doctor.  YEESH.

Same person who once handed a steak knife to my brother. . . BLADE EXTENDED. . .
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ar15fan what did you expect?
View Quote

To be entertained, rather than board to tears.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another viewpoint....peeps like ar15fan find computer games like doom or quake to be exciting.
View Quote

Not at all. I have no interest in PC games. Never liked atari or nintendo either.

View Quote

what a pity.  I'm damned glad I belong to that WEE BIT 1%.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#25]

"Do you like what you doth see. . . ?" said the voluptuous elf-maiden as she provocatively parted the folds of her robe to reveal the rounded shadowy glories within. Frito's throat was dry, though his head reeled with desire and ale.

She slipped off the flimsy garment and strode towards the fascinated boggie unashamed of her nakedness. She ran a perfect hand along his hairy toes, and he helplessly watched them curl with the fierce insistent wanting of her.

"Let me make thee more comfortable," she whispered hoarsely, fiddling with the clasps of his jerkin, loosening his sword belt with a laugh. "Touch me, oh touch me," she crooned.

Frito's hand, as though of its own will, reached out and traced the delicate swelling of her elf-breast, while the other slowly crept around her tiny, flawless waist, crushing her to his barrel chest.

"Toes, I love hairy toes," she moaned, forcing him down on the silvered carpet. Her tiny, pink toes caressed the luxurient fur of his instep while Frito's nose sought out the warmth of her precious elf-navel.

"But I'm so small and hairy, and . . . you're so beautiful," Frito whimpered, slipping clumsily out of his crossed garters.

The elf-maiden said nothing, but only sighed deep in her throat and held him more firmly to her faunlike body. "There is one thing you must do for me first," she whispered into one tufted ear.

"Anything," sobbed Frito, growing frantic with his need. "Anything!"

She closed her eyes and opened them to the ceiling. "The Ring," she said. "I must have your Ring."

Frito's whole body tensed. "Oh no," he cried, "not that! Anything but . . . that."

"I must have it," she said, both tenderly and fiercely. "I must have the Ring!"

Frito's eyes blurred with tears and confusion. "I can't," he said. "I mustn't!"

But he knew resolve was no longer strong in him. Slowly, the elf-maiden's hand inched toward the chain in his vest pocket, closer and closer it came to the Ring Frito had guarded so faithfully . . .
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Went today with my two sons age thirteen and fifteen.  The thirteen year old is more into books, gaming and the whole fantasy genre, while the fifteen year old has to be entertained by tv or other electronic means.  Neither has read the books, but they are getting them for Christmas.  We were all three blown away by L.O.T.R.!

Whoever designed the sets read my mind and I think it's a copyright violation!  Everything was just as it should have been, except I always envisioned Orcs as being more like Planet of the Apes gorillas with wild boar heads.  The fight scenes were just as I thought a sword fight would be, especially the out of focus fog of war effect.  And the Balrog was perfect, right out of my best Nightmares.

Funniest thing was my youngest heard "troll" in the mines of Moria and said "there was a troll in Harry Potter, that's no big deal".  Then held the arms of his seat and white knuckled it through that whole fight, "different type of troll".  Hehehehe!

Anyone who didn't like L.O.T.R. needs to get in better touch with their inner child or something.
[^]  [^]  [^]  [^]  [^]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#27]
saw the movie yesterday, loved the movie, but have a few questions.
why did they not make The Hobbit first?
also i cant wait till the dvd comes out, im hoping to see the missing  barrow and Tom Bombadillo scene, and other little scenes they could not fit in the movie.
LONG LIVE FRODO!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Is it me, or did Frodo spent the whole movie impersonating Winona Ryder?  Throughout the movie he more or less had only one facial expression, that of desperate wide-eyed frawning, as if the Gollem is about to perform an unnatural act on his person.  As much as I liked the book and the movie, to me Elijah Whatshisname is a real dud of this movie.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Well,
I thought the movie kicked ass. I was impressed with sauron.........I thought they depicted him well. A few things were changed from the book but they were minimal. I'll definitely buy the dvd. I can't wait to see the ents.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Good but to long.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably the biggest goof I have issue with is how in the beginning they said that the ring was found by the creature Gollum.

In the books, a hobbit found the ring while fishing with a friend.  The friend said it was his birthday, and demanded the ring as a present.  He killed the finder of the ring, and the influence of the ring transformed him into the wretched Gollum.

This is why Gollum referred to the ring as his "birthday present" in The Hobbit.  

In the FOTR movie, they made it seem like Gollum had always been that way, not once a hobbit like Frodo and Bilbo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I've read quite a bit of fantasy (Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth, Song of Ice and Fire, etc.), but I never got around to LotR.  I'd seen pieces of the animated movie, and in it too, Boromir blew his horn like crazy during the riverside fight.  In the cartoon, I just assumed he was blowing it to let the others know that he was in trouble.  What was the deal with the horn anyway?
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought it was great.

My vertigo was in high gear during the escape from the mines...
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I took my wife and two kids to see it last night.  We all enjoyed it emensely!  The 11 year old girl was scared at a few points and found it LOUD.  My 8 year old son loved it!

Looks like we have a new Christmass eve tradition to keep for two more years to come!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top