Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Please pardon my ignorance, but could you inform me about this?

Do imports of such foreign sport utility rifles such as the AUG fall under the crime bill?

I know that the act will sunset, and I expect some form of rumbling from the pro-rape crowd to replace it, but I also expect it to get a fight.

In the betweentime of the sunset, and the possibility of new legislation against our rights, will I  be able to get a newly imported AUG at the funstore for a reasonable price again?

Sorry, I really don't remember if the import restrictions were in this crap or if it was seperate. [>:/]

In any case, I am going to start putting aside money NOW for some big purchases in late '04!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What happens next? I am not asking if it will actually sunset, but rather what happens if it does?

1. I see a mad rush of people buying up pre ban parts in an effort to convert their guns to a pre ban status.

2. I see the price of actual pre bans dropping a considerable amount.

3. I see the elected liberal scum trying to pass a new ban that will be horrific when compared to what we currently have in place.

For what it's worth, I didn't originally think the ban would be allowed to sunset. But since 9-11, and seeing how many gun suits are being overturned, and how many states are starting to adopt CCW laws, I am beginning to think this damn ban just [i]might[/i] go away. If it does, what do you think will happen?
View Quote

i wish the ban would go forever.  who is to tell us what kinds of things we put on our guns?  on another thing (class 3) the consititution doenst say anything about full auto. it doesnt say we cant have certen types of guns.  it says the right to keep and bear arms.  not certen kinds, but any.  sorry for the spelling i am really tired and i need to go to bed!
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pinned on flash suppressor?!?  I, my friend, am going to be threading all my barrels!
View Quote

can you thread my barrel too? or who do i take it to?  another question is can you inform me about this ban thing?  is the 1994 ban fixing to go out?  does this mean in 2004 i can put a flash suppressor on my 2000 bushy?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is what will happen:

1) Executive Order extending or even removing the sunset provision.

2) The GOP trying to look "tough" will take on the "extremist gun lobby" while at the same time saying they want to protect "hunting and sporting guns" will introduce a new even more restrictive ban. Oh of course they may throw gun owners a bone omitting the magazine ban but in exchange will create restriction on .50bmg possession and closing the "gun show loophole". Some gun owners will rationalize such a law saying it was politically expedient to get bush re-elected and that the supreme court will strike down the unconstitutional law.

If neither of the above occurs:

3)The BATF will issue an executive ruling continuing the ban declaring that the guns have no "sporting" purpose.

It will be business as usual.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
DAMNED bush sr. and reagen what the hell were they doing!!! I cant believe republicans would pass gun control laws at all! if after the sunset if a new ban makes it through the house and senate, and bush does not veto it immedietly, then I will never vote for him again.! Ill just vote for the libertarian canadate in 2004 even though he doesent have a chance at winning. Im so sick of republicans passing gun contol laws! F-the media- if I was the president, I would do what needed to be done F- gun control, give the death penalty to anyone that commits a violent crime with a gun, that would work alot better thatn taking guns away from honest people. criminals dont obey laws, that is what defines a criminal, so making new laws and taking gun rights away from law abiding citizens wont accomplish anything, enforce the laws already on the books! dont make new ones! ok I sound like a broken record here and Im about to go crazy about this so I better just stop.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Beekeeper,  yes, the high capacity magazine ban is part of the AW ban/crime act of 1994.  When the ban sunsets, so does the hi-cap mag ban.

But...state laws won't be affected.

Someone else asked about the ban on importation of certain foreign made products.   That is NOT part of the AW ban of 1994.    There are other laws and executive orders that cover that.  When the ban sunsets, it will not affect those import restrictions.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:40:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do imports of such foreign sport utility rifles such as the AUG fall under the crime bill?

I know that the act will sunset, and I expect some form of rumbling from the pro-rape crowd to replace it, but I also expect it to get a fight.

In the betweentime of the sunset, and the possibility of new legislation against our rights, will I  be able to get a newly imported AUG at the funstore for a reasonable price again?

Sorry, I really don't remember if the import restrictions were in this crap or if it was seperate. [>:/]

In any case, I am going to start putting aside money NOW for some big purchases in late '04!
View Quote

NOPE. The AUG and most of the fun rifles, HKs, SIGs, FALs, etc. were banned by George Bush Sr. with the 89'Import Ban. This has nothing to do with the 94 Ban and it will never sunset.

These rifles are permanently banned from importation forever.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately we are going to have to trust the Republicans not to renew the ban. As a former Republican and now a staunch Libertarian I will vote for Republicans that are pro gun rights up until this ban is reviewed. Whatever the outcome of the ban I will never vote for another Republican as long as there is a Libertarian running for office. The Republicans are not the true champions of pro gun rights. Its kind of like having a relationship with abusive alcoholic (voting for Republicans), you hope that they will be sober when voting gun related bills. They should not be voting for gun bills anyway because they are all unconstitutional anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is what will happen:

1) Executive Order extending or even removing the sunset provision.

2) The GOP trying to look "tough" will take on the "extremist gun lobby" while at the same time saying they want to protect "hunting and sporting guns" will introduce a new even more restrictive ban. Oh of course they may throw gun owners a bone omitting the magazine ban but in exchange will create restriction on .50bmg possession and closing the "gun show loophole". Some gun owners will rationalize such a law saying it was politically expedient to get bush re-elected and that the supreme court will strike down the unconstitutional law.

If neither of the above occurs:

3)The BATF will issue an executive ruling continuing the ban declaring that the guns have no "sporting" purpose.

It will be business as usual.
View Quote

Spot on, as our English cousins (and sometime MOH winners) might say. There is absolutely no political downside to opposing "assault weapons" . GWB has even said he supports the assault weapons ban. You make an interseting new point about BATF. They're always looking for something to do and would never allow the AWB to disappear regardless of what the law might be.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

NOPE. The AUG and most of the fun rifles, HKs, SIGs, FALs, etc. were banned by George Bush Sr. with the 89'Import Ban. This has nothing to do with the 94 Ban and it will never sunset.

View Quote

Damn. [puke]

And Matthew - I'm right there with you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Executive orders can be reversed by Presidents.

Should the AW ban be permitted to sunset without any replacement legislation enacted, it will be a very large plus for us pro-gun types, showing that among other things, we have a lot of power at the voting booth.   This power could be used to get the President to consider cancelling that executive order...and it could happen, because Bush is not Clinton and if Bush can destroy the worst of Clinton's legacies, and not take too much heat for it, he will probably do so.   But he will need to be encouraged directly buy us, the voters who vote pro-gun.

Write a letter.   If everybody wrote ONE EACH, that'd be a pretty fierce attention getter.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

That is why the Ar15 has survived for so long.
it is made here in the good ol USA.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This power could be used to get the President to consider cancelling that executive order...and it could happen, because Bush is not Clinton and if Bush can destroy the worst of Clinton's legacies, and not take too much heat for it, he will probably do so.
View Quote

You're forgetting that it was a Bush who signed that executive order.  Clinton's only made it stronger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some gun owners will rationalize such a law saying it was politically expedient to get bush re-elected and that the supreme court will strike down the unconstitutional law.
View Quote

No, gunowners would never do such a thing.  Especially not on AR15.com. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
i still dont know much, but is it offical or not that the 1994 ban is going out in 2004?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some of you guys still don't really get it, I'm afraid.

As has been pointed out, the AW ban of '94 WILL sunset.  There is no other option.  By the letter of its own law, it sunsets ten years from the date it was signed into law, which means that come September 14, 2004, it's DEAD and NOTHING in it applies anymore.  

Period.  End of story.

etc...
View Quote

Think about it, he is right on the money.  It would be political suicide to present another bill.

JL
[50]
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
It's my opinion, that their will not be a new ban, it's very unlikley that it could make it throught the climate of todays congress.

I think the reason that so many people can't accept the fact that it will is because us gun owners have been screwed over so many times that we can't belive it when something good is going to happen.

Also the ATF ruling black rifles unsporting is not leagle unless they are imported, or have a barrle with a diameter greater then 1/2 an inch, or something like that. (shotguns used to be exempt but that was removed in 199X when street sweepers and USASs were reclasified DDs)
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Re: Trickshot

OH MY GOD! Someone on this board has actually taken a basic economics class and understands how capitalism works! Is the world going to end soon? Are there still posters who would seem to be content to have the good old Government take all of their money and control the prices of everything just as long as they get to keep their pretty black rifles?

And while I'm at it, Come on guys, think a little more positive. The pro-gun cause was already strong in the 2000 elections and it's only getting stronger after 9/11. We can beat this. Start calling your congresscritters NOW and ask them if they support a replacement. That way, you know who to vote for this year. Let them know that we just might be the most powerful political force in the nation.

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's my opinion, that their will not be a new ban, it's very unlikley that it could make it throught the climate of todays congress.
View Quote

Actually, after the 2000 elections, we had a six seat majority (pro-gun majority that is, not republican majority) in the house, and a serious deficiency in the senate, according to Neal Knox.  This makes the 2002 election absolutely critical.

Also the ATF ruling black rifles unsporting is not leagle unless they are imported, or have a barrle with a diameter greater then 1/2 an inch, or something like that. (shotguns used to be exempt but that was removed in 199X when street sweepers and USASs were reclasified DDs)
View Quote

The "sporting purposes" test applies only to IMPORTED firearms.  

There IS an exemtption in the National Firearms Act for sporting shotguns with a bore diameter over .500 (all shotguns, except the .410, would be DDs otherwise) and this REMAINS IN EFFECT.  The Street Sweepers, Striker-12s, and USASs were declared to not be "sporting shotguns" and lost their exemption.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The "sporting purposes" test applies only to IMPORTED firearms.  

View Quote

The BATF has ABSOLUTELY no jursidiction in state child protective services (Waco) nor plastic knives (Shot Show 2002), but that didn't stop them from getting involved now did it? They do what they want, when they want and if they get in over their heads, they call the FBI to bail them out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top