Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
with that thought, then going to a doctor to save your life should be illeagle too?
afterall its gods will, doctors should not be able to sustain life.
View Quote

Well, you [i]could[/i] take my thoughts further and draw that conclusion, but that seems extreme to me. I could argue that doctors can only do what God allows them to, (and I bet many doctors would agree with me). I would have been better off stating that life is a gift from God and should be valued and appreciated.

We are all granted life as if we were grated a bunch of money. What we do with it is up to us.

Personally, I think it has value and shouldn't be taken so carelessly as to say, "its her decision." A cop out IMHO.

--LS
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Replyinjg before I've read the whole thread, so I'm sure I'll be back.

Yes, abortion is murder. However, the only reason I did [b]not[/b] choose "Yes, Absolutely" is because I think that, under certain limited and very difficult circumstances (Rape, Incest, LIFE or PHYSICAL HEALTH of the mother) it is a regrettable but understandable evil.

I'm willing to hear arguments concerning physical/mental deformity (Downs, etc.), even though I know, deep in my heart, that aborting a child for such reasons is probably an affront to God.

And yes, my belief in God underpins my opposition to abortion. If someone doesn't like that, they can take it up with Him when they go meet Him. I don't care, and will continue to (try to) live my life according to His rules.

Pray for those slaughtered on the altar of feminism....... [0:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I predict 6 pages.  

Oh yeah, [red]until it is externally viable, it isn't life.  Life isn't a state of mind, its a physical ability to sustain itself.  Does a life support VICTIM really LIVE?  Does an unborn fetus have life until it can life externally from the mother?[/red]

I'm not diving into this thread anymore, but its nice to see the poll slanted the way it is.
View Quote

If your thesis about life is true, why is it I go to prison for destroying Eagles eggs, (an endangered species)?? Shall we apply a higher standard to animals than we do humans?

Life begins at conception.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The underlying point is that it abortiong [u]SHOULDN'T[/u] be an [u][b]OPTION[/b][/u] (you use the word option so easily it's almost scary, but, once again, this thread is here for ARFCOMER's opinion's) at all.
View Quote
Well, there we (obviously) disagree.  And outside this board about half the population of the country disagrees with you.  Even [i]when[/i] and [i]where[/i] abortion has been illegal, it has been practiced throughout recorded history.  You [i]believe[/i] that a fertilized human egg is a human being.  I don't.
View Quote

Isn't it funny that the LAW says a spotted owl egg is a spotted owl, or an eagle egg is an eagle, and I go to prison if I DISTURB it, but a human egg is a "fetus", and I can MURDER it at will.......
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While it may seem like murder in the eyes of the bible thumping christians but that doesn't reflect the majority view in this country.  [red]That's the beauty of our system, the laws of our governance are determined by our people, and not by an extremist minority.[/red]  If you want to live in a theocracy, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a visa to Iran, Yemen or Saudi Arabia.
View Quote

Remember this post phil, when your guns are banned by the same "Majority" that is murdering our young....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I lean to the "its her body" side of the argument...

The only point I would like to make is that if abortion becomes classified as murder and therefore illegal...that it won't stop the practice.

Just as gun control doesn't stop gun violence, an abortion ban will only make the people that do practice the procedure outlaws.  Though many people will consider the overturning of Roe v Wade as a moral victory,  they have to consider the disadvantages that come with it.

Ask nurses that worked in hospitals and ERs 35 years ago.  How many young girls were coming in suffering from illegal or coathanger abortions.  Just because it was against the law, desperation to avoid having a child drove what otherwise would be a sensible person to an insensible decision.

Edited to add that I'm not trying to thump my chest with the "coathanger" argument as a symbol for pro-choice.  Just trying to show that you can't legislate goodness into a person.

Glad to see the discussion being somewhat civilized thus far.  Realistically...I wonder if there ever will be a "right" answer to this question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While it may seem like murder in the eyes of the bible thumping christians but that doesn't reflect the majority view in this country.  [red]That's the beauty of our system, the laws of our governance are determined by our people, and not by an extremist minority.[/red]  If you want to live in a theocracy, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting a visa to Iran, Yemen or Saudi Arabia.
View Quote

Remember this post phil, when your guns are banned by the same "Majority" that is murdering our young....
View Quote

Amen to that liberty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:22:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The only point I would like to make is that if abortion becomes classified as murder and therefore illegal...that it won't stop the practice.
View Quote

No, it won't stop the practice, but atleast it will show that the Gov doesn't condone the morally shameful act.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]

No doubt it's murder, what else do ou want to call it?

Maybe I'm way off base but I've never heard or read about a self-defense based abortion.  

Either way I also don't believe it can be stopped by laws anymore than the murders that happen outside the womb.  I don't really know if there an answer will really solve this problem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is simply none of the government's business and is a decision to be made by each according to their own faith.
View Quote

The murder of future tax payers IS a concern to govt. Murder has NOTHING to do with "faith"...
View Quote

Arguing that we need to bring children into the world in order to support a bloated and overbearing government is about the weakest argument I have ever seen you post.

Your assertions that abortion is murder are based upon your religious faith, and that is fine. Such assertions are not, however, an argument that will have any effect on those not sharing your religious faith.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Amen to that liberty.
View Quote

Implicit in your post is the concept that the majority supports gun rights.  I don't think evidence would bear that out.  There seem to be two camps of roughly equal size and a large ambivalent slice in the middle.

In any event, the function of a CONSTITUTIONAL protection, which requires a SUPERMAJORITY vote to amend, ensures that even a simple majority cannot alter the fundamentals of the system set up by that constitution.  So to all who believe the RKBA is guaranteed by the second amendment, the above counterpoint is not relevant.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is simply none of the government's business and is a decision to be made by each according to their own faith.
View Quote

The murder of future tax payers IS a concern to govt. Murder has NOTHING to do with "faith"...
View Quote

Arguing that we need to bring children into the world in order to support a bloated and overbearing government is about the weakest argument I have ever seen you post.

[red]Your assertions that abortion is murder are based upon your religious faith, and that is fine. Such assertions are not, however, an argument that will have any effect on those not sharing your religious faith.[/red]
View Quote

This is part of the main problem with solving today's issues, this very closed minded approach to anything outside of what you believe solves nothing.  What's more, when you refuse to even consider other points of view you become very ignorent very fast.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The underlying point is that it abortiong [u]SHOULDN'T[/u] be an [u][b]OPTION[/b][/u] (you use the word option so easily it's almost scary, but, once again, this thread is here for ARFCOMER's opinion's) at all.
View Quote
Well, there we (obviously) disagree.  And outside this board about half the population of the country disagrees with you.  Even [i]when[/i] and [i]where[/i] abortion has been illegal, it has been practiced throughout recorded history.  You [i]believe[/i] that a fertilized human egg is a human being.  I don't.
View Quote

Isn't it funny that the LAW says a spotted owl egg is a spotted owl, or an eagle egg is an eagle, and I go to prison if I DISTURB it, but a human egg is a "fetus", and I can MURDER it at will.......
View Quote
If there were billions of spotted owls and eagles, there'd be no such law.  If the human population was somehow decimated, I believe we'd have a serious social pressure promoting pregnancy and childbirth, but that's not the case.  Humanity is not an endangered species.  Heinlein put it well:
No man is an island--" Much as we may feel and act as individuals, our race is a single organism, always growing and branching -- which must be pruned regularly to be healthy. This necessity need not be argued, anyone with eyes can see that any organism which grows without limit always dies in its own poisons. The rational question is whether pruning is best done before or after birth.  
Being an incurable sentimentalist I favor the former of these methods -- killing makes me queasy, even when it's a case of "He's dead and I'm alive and that's the way I wanted it to be."  

But this may be a matter of taste. Some shamans think that is better to be killed in a war, or to die in childbirth, or to starve in misery, than never to have lived at all. They may be right.  

But I don't have to like it -- and I don't.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#15]
No man is an island--" Much as we may feel and act as individuals, our race is a single organism, always growing and branching -- which must be pruned regularly to be healthy. This necessity need not be argued, anyone with eyes can see that any organism which grows without limit always dies in its own poisons. The rational question is whether pruning is best done before or after birth.
Being an incurable sentimentalist I favor the former of these methods -- killing makes me queasy, even when it's a case of "He's dead and I'm alive and that's the way I wanted it to be."

But this may be a matter of taste. Some shamans think that is better to be killed in a war, or to die in childbirth, or to starve in misery, than never to have lived at all. They may be right.

But I don't have to like it -- and I don't.
View Quote

The above equates to; Poeple have no idea of how to play God, so [b]DON'T[/b].  Give what [u][b]YOU[/b][/u] have created a chance, and stop being so damn selfish with your own life!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Really?? You think the "compelling interest" of govt is weak?? It's used ALL the time.

Your assertions that abortion is murder are based upon your religious faith, and that is fine. Such assertions are not, however, an argument that will have any effect on those not sharing your religious faith.
View Quote

I have not mentioned religion, why have you? My assertions, (thus far), about human life are based on the SAME assertions by govt and communists, that an owl or eagle EGG are the same as an owl or an eagle!! Note it's many of the same people who are FOR abortion, that are PROTECTING unborn owls and eagles and FISH for petes sake! If Satan himself were making the law he couldn't do it better!! Kill an unborn animal go to prison. Kill a human, good for you, it's your RIGHT!  HA!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Amen to that liberty.
View Quote

Implicit in your post is the concept that the majority supports gun rights.  I don't think evidence would bear that out.  There seem to be two camps of roughly equal size and a large ambivalent slice in the middle.
View Quote

I don't know how you reach that conclusion. I said the same "majority" wants to ban your guns.

In any event, the function of a CONSTITUTIONAL protection, which requires a SUPERMAJORITY vote to amend, ensures that even a simple majority cannot alter the fundamentals of the system set up by that constitution.  So to all who believe the RKBA is guaranteed by the second amendment, the above counterpoint is not relevant.
View Quote

There is no more a Constitutional protection for abortion, than there is a guarentee of healthcare, or housing. The Federal govt. has no authority here, as the Constitution is silent on the matter.
HOWEVER, do you think the people who wrote "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain in-alienable rights, that among these rights, the right to [b]Life[/b], Liberty and..." would say abortion was ok??
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Really?? You think the "compelling interest" of govt is weak?? It's used ALL the time.
View Quote

Yes. They way you used it sets up the taxpayer as seveant to the government, which, tinfoil arguments to the contary, I believe to be specious.

View Quote

I have not mentioned religion, why have you? My assertions, (thus far), about human life are based on the SAME assertions by govt and communists, that an owl or eagle EGG are the same as an owl or an eagle!!
View Quote

First off, please accept my apology for thinking you had based all of your argument on religion. Sorry about that!

As for your bird egg/fetus analogy, it looks good on the surface, but as soon as you start to zoom in a little bit, it starts to lose validity, IMHO. For example, the bird egg laws have not made it all the way up to the supreme court, but the human law has, so these are not apple to apple.

Note it's many of the same people who are FOR abortion, that are PROTECTING unborn owls and eagles and FISH for petes sake! If Satan himself were making the law he couldn't do it better!! Kill an unborn animal go to prison. Kill a human, good for you, it's your RIGHT!  HA!!
View Quote

It is all about definitions. The [i]legal[/i] definition of a human life is different from that of a bird. As human life is now legally defined, abortion up to whatever the date is, is NOT murder. You obviously do not agree with the current definition. Why not?

Oh, and it is equally ironic that those who oppose abortion are typically all in favor of the death penalty.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Abortion is murder.  If I ran down a preganant woman at the same stage as some abort, I would be charged with 2+ counts of vehicular homicide.

As has been said in other threads, and possibly on the page 2 of this one I didn't read, that's one of the interesting aspects of the unfortunate Laci Peterson case.  How many counts of murder?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Father's rights.
[:(!]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Until a fetus is viable on its own, it is only a parasitic growth on its host body.
The "morality" issue of the arguement is just christian cult propaganda.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't want to be standing before God someday with (innocent) blood on my hands.

Ditto on "Father's Rights"

and...IBTL
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. They way you used it sets up the taxpayer as seveant to the government, which, tinfoil arguments to the contary, I believe to be specious.
View Quote

You don't think govt. has a "compelling interest" in seeing citizens survive??

View Quote

I have not mentioned religion, why have you? My assertions, (thus far), about human life are based on the SAME assertions by govt and communists, that an owl or eagle EGG are the same as an owl or an eagle!!
View Quote

First off, please accept my apology for thinking you had based all of your argument on religion. Sorry about that!

As for your bird egg/fetus analogy, it looks good on the surface, but as soon as you start to zoom in a little bit, it starts to lose validity, IMHO. For example, the bird egg laws have not made it all the way up to the supreme court, but the human law has, so these are not apple to apple.
View Quote
View Quote

Not true, the endangered species act has been held Constitutional by the court.

Note it's many of the same people who are FOR abortion, that are PROTECTING unborn owls and eagles and FISH for petes sake! If Satan himself were making the law he couldn't do it better!! Kill an unborn animal go to prison. Kill a human, good for you, it's your RIGHT!  HA!!
View Quote

It is all about definitions. The [i]legal[/i] definition of a human life is different from that of a bird. As human life is now legally defined, abortion up to whatever the date is, is NOT murder. You obviously do not agree with the current definition. Why not?
View Quote

Because, life is life. How can a birds life start in the egg, and a human being does not. It either is, or isn't. We protect animal life better than human life.

Oh, and it is equally ironic that those who oppose abortion are typically all in favor of the death penalty.
View Quote
View Quote

You don't know the difference between murder, and killing do you??
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's great to stand there decrying abortion as murder when it isn't your 16 year-old daughter that's pregnant. Or you.
View Quote

Adoption is an option. [:)]
View Quote
So is keeping it, and [i]so is abortion[/i].  

Abortion [i]is legal[/i].  What we're discussing here is how people feel about it [i]morally[/i].
View Quote

Thats the root isue isint it... MORALITY.  Morality is IMPOSSIBLE to legislate.  Morals are usually rooted deep in religion and anytime you start pushing your morals on someone else, to me thats pushing your religion on others which is unconstitutional.  If you believe it is murder cause the bible says so, fine.  But if some athiest femo-nazi vagithug wants to have an abortion and you start trying to legislate based off of religion, I'll see you on the battlefield.  I will not tolerate others pushing their religion on others.  If we start, we will be no better than the Taliban.

Little bit of a side note.  
I am sick and tired of the damn atheists pushing their religion on me.  
Atheism : the doctrine that there is no deity (from webster)
Religion: : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith (webster also)

Atheism is a religion.  STOP TRYING TO FORCE AN ATHEIST STATE.  STOP PUSHING YOUR RELIGION ON ME!

Bottom line.
You cannot legislate morality.

[peep]

Runs to the sidelines and grabs a bag of jiffy-pop::
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#26]
[b]You don't think govt. has a "compelling interest" in seeing citizens survive??[/b]

You said "tax payers" before, not citizens, which led me to believe that the payment of taxes was the point you were trying to make.

[b]Not true, the endangered species act has been held Constitutional by the court. [/b]

Really? Didn't know that. If you want another example, laws concerning humans and laws concerning animals are almost always different, because animals and people are not the same in the eyes of the law.

You obviously do not agree with the current definition. Why not?

[b]Because, life is life.[/b]

Don't tell me you ran off and joined PETA!!

[}:D]

[b] How can a birds life start in the egg, and a human being does not. It either is, or isn't.[/b]

I don't know the legal reason, but how about because they are totally different methods of gestation? The bird egg continues to develop without any additional nutrients form the mother, etc., etc.

[b]You don't know the difference between murder, and killing do you??[/b]

Who was it a few lines up that said "life is life"?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

[b]You don't know the difference between murder, and killing do you??[/b]

Who was it a few lines up that said "life is life"?
View Quote

Life is the same word as life, and means the same.

FYI, Murder is the taking of innocent life, "killing", is the taking of life with no thought of innocence.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bottom line.

[peep]

View Quote

So what are laws against murder?
Isn't that legislating morality?
View Quote

Yep, that is legislating morality.  Does it work? Nope.  In my opinion, Murder is a unique issue.  I do not think there is a single, sane person in the world who bleieves murder is right.  Every religion, at least the ones I know of, have rules agains cold-blodded murder.

Now we are gonna start talking about definitions.  And we can go round and round but I honestly think that it is still what you morally define as murder.  

Talk to a person here.  Is eating a thick, jucy steak considered murder? doubtful.  Talk to an uber hippy tree-hugger, eating a cow is murder.  Its all in the morals in the individual

And you cannot decide what is leagle or not based on that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

[b]Not true, the endangered species act has been held Constitutional by the court. [/b]

Really? Didn't know that. If you want another example, laws concerning humans and laws concerning animals are almost always different, because animals and people are not the same in the eyes of the law.
View Quote

You are correct, but WHY are people "Lower" than the animals in the law?? Are we not a "higher" life form? (Now we can get to religion if ya wanna [:D])
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#32]
How can a birds life start in the egg, and a human being does not. It either is, or isn't.

I don't know the legal reason, but how about because they are totally different methods of gestation? The bird egg continues to develop without any additional nutrients form the mother, etc., etc.
View Quote

The above has got to be the most pathetic reason for trying to justify why the eagle embryo's are protected and human embryo's aren't...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I very firmly believe in the individual rights of human beings.  Having said that, I also believe that the life of a human being begins at conception.  To me, any other definition is merely arbitrary.

With that preface in place, here goes my wacky take on things:

The unborn child does indeed have the right to live, but not at the expense of the mother, or her body.  If you make the argument that the mother is obligated to give her body to her child because she had a part in the creation of said child, at what point would that "contract" be terminated?  At birth? 5 years? 18 years? Never?  If a child were born without kidneys, should the mother be "forced" to give one of her kidneys to keep the child alive?  What if that child was 40 years old?

My hope is that at some point in the future, instead of aborting a fetus, the child could be raised outside of the womb until it could sustain itself (in a rudimentary physical sense) and (hopefully) be adopted.  Until that time, I don't think it is morally correct to force someone (the mother) to sacrifice her body for the benefit of another human being (the child).

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#35]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Bottom line.

So what are laws against murder?
Isn't that legislating morality?

Yep, that is legislating morality. Does it work? Nope
View Quote

Once again, even though it may not work well, and there would be those that would get illegal abortions, it would still show that the Gov has some level of respect for those who can't deffend themselves....
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I believe in abortion, I believe in war, and I believe in killing the SOB who would hurt my wife and kids. Is it murder, no way! Each is an intentional act to rectify a dire circumstance. Do we feel bad about them, oh yeah, but some things just need doing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You are correct, but WHY are people "Lower" than the animals in the law?? Are we not a "higher" life form? (Now we can get to religion if ya wanna [:D])
View Quote

Heh. You want me to reconcile logic and the law???? I'm gonna have to pass on that one, my friend.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How can a birds life start in the egg, and a human being does not. It either is, or isn't.

View Quote

The above has got to be the most pathetic reason for trying to justify why the eagle embryo's are protected and human embryo's aren't...
View Quote

Of course it is pathetic! Feel free to supply your own reasons why our engangered national symbol has different laws governing it than a fetus. I gave the first thing I thought of. The real question is why on earth anyone would consider the comparison valid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

So if you stop feeding a new-born, it will be OK?
View Quote

The point was that one develops externally from the mother, whie the other is still inside and literally a part fo the mother.

At this time I will cease describing the differences between birds and people.

[BD]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Wise move Emoto [:)], seeing as how a mere bird (albeit a national symbol) could compare to a human [;)].
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wise move Emoto [:)], seeing as how a mere bird (albeit a national symbol) could compare to a human [;)].
View Quote

Yeah, that was the only smart thing I have done today. The rest of today has been like one long car crash.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that was the only smart thing I have done today. The rest of today has been like one long car crash.
View Quote

[lol]  I hear ya [:)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Its murder...
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have seen exactly what happens to those poor soul's.

I watched an abortion video, only depicting its aftermath on both the women and the child.
This video had no commentary, only classical music in the background.

What I saw in that video was the most horrific thing I have without a doubt seen in my life. Legs, arms, torso's in a DUMPSTER, a head torn in half, eyelids missing, lower jaw gone... bloody and torn. This head was a specimen floating in a fucking jar. It damn looked human to me! Intestines, spines, and every other peice imaginable laying in a bucket on the floor... Is this what life is now? A collection of cells? An inconvenience to the parents?
Everybody who was with me immediatly realized what abortion is, and that is cold blooded murder. These images will stick with me the rest of my life.

I wish they would show the murderer what they have just done to their "fetus".
Ubeleiveable how morals have plumeted so quickly in 60 years.

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:19:09 PM EDT
[#45]
i've been playing a game called civilization for many, many years...

ceremonial burial is a cultural advancement that leads a civilization to develop religion.  

We have ceramonal burials for our dead and stillborn but we do not for miscarriages (naturally occurring "abortions").  Therefore "defining" fetuses as a living being is a recent thing...  makes me think this is about "preachers" playing politicians.

abortions became legal NOT for birthcontrol but to give doctors the chance to save mothers lives which were at risk giving birth due to medical issues.  making abortions illegal will be condeming those women to death...
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#46]
abortions became legal NOT for birthcontrol but to give doctors the chance to save mothers lives which were at risk giving birth due to medical issues. making abortions illegal will be condeming those women to death...
View Quote

Abortions were used [u][b]IN THE BEGINIG[/b][/u] to save the life of the mother.  Today, in [b]modern[/b] times it [b]IS[/b] used as birth control.  So for the .72% of abortions today to save the life of the mother, that's all fine and dandy.  For the 99.28% that aren't, your theory is outdated and......irrelevant.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

According to my faith, Christians are immoral and should be killed, so it is none of the governments business.  As long as I am deciding upon faith.
View Quote

See there? You just made an excellent argument for why the abortion issue should [b]not[/b] be decided by the GOVERNMENT based on RELIGION. In other words, the world's various religions and faiths are not in agreement, so for the government to pick one would be wrong.

We have too much government already. You seem to want more. I don't.
[red]One of the legitimate functions of govt. is to protect the lives of it's people.  My point is that the decision has nothing to do with faith.  I am opposed to it by reason, not faith. [/red]

The other argument I hate is that it is OK to abort until the child can survive independently from the mother.  By that logic it is OK to abort until about the age of 10 or so.  A two year old can't survive independent of the care of its mother.
View Quote

You misunderstand what "survive independently" means.
[red]I don't think so, there is little functional difference. [/red]

I just want to know at what point it doesn't become murder.  The minute before birth?  Ten minutes before?  A week before?  Three months before?  Eight months before? At what point [i]does[/i] it become OK to kill the unborn child?
View Quote

SCOTUS says somewhere around the first trimester, I believe.
[red]So the govt. you want less of made the decision for you? And by your reasoning above where you state it is a matter of survivable independence you should be OK with abortion until about the sixth to seventh month. [/red]
View Quote

[size=4]Abortion is murder.  It is an act of volition that ends a life.  If there is no act of abortion, a child will result.  No matter how you color it, it is an act that ends an innocent life. [/size=4]

That is why the masturbation argument is stupid, there is no act that results in the loss of life.  Abortion is murder for the sake of convinience, nothing more or less.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#48]
1 in 4 women will have a abortion in their life. Thats sad think of all the people that might have been to change our world for the better or worst.

Even if you are rapped you should have that child, I realize it sounds to dam cruel but at the same time our state should take care of the mother by making the rapist if caught pay for the mother for the rest of her life even if she gives up the child, Also he needs to be fixed and made for sex is no longer enjoyable and his penis only works to relive himself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
abortions became legal NOT for birthcontrol but to give doctors the chance to save mothers lives which were at risk giving birth due to medical issues. making abortions illegal will be condeming those women to death...
View Quote

Abortions were used [u][b]IN THE BEGINIG[/b][/u] to save the life of the mother.  Today, in [b]modern[/b] times it [b]IS[/b] used as birth control.  So for the .72% of abortions today to save the life of the mother, that's all fine and dandy.  For the 99.28% that aren't, your theory is outdated and......irrelevant.
View Quote

So you ARE agreeing with my position: abortion must remain legal because it is a valid life-saving medical procedure.  It is up to our social institutions to impress upon the population the immorality of using abortions irresponsibly.  Just because people are misusing abortions is not reason enough to outlaw it.  Just because criminals use guns is not a reason to prevent law-abiding citizens from owning them.

The problem is not that abortions are legal, the problem is that our schools, churches and faimlies are failing to teach our citizens responsible sexual behaviors.

Banning abortions will kill mothers and wives...
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
abortions became legal NOT for birthcontrol but to give doctors the chance to save mothers lives which were at risk giving birth due to medical issues.  making abortions illegal will be condeming those women to death...
View Quote

Where did you get such a stupid-assed idea?? Abortion has ALWAYS been legal to save the life of the mother. The incidence of such abortions is LESS than .75% of the MILLIONS of murders that have been comitted. When you are talking about someones life, it may be a good idea to have a foggy notion of WTH you're talking about...
We are murdering our young for "birth control".
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top