Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
BTW, I have never and will never pay $3,000 for an 800 MHz Computer with 128 MB of PC-133 SDRAM. Especially, when an Athlon XP running at 1.6 GHz with DDR-RAM (266 MHz vs. 133 MHz on Macs) can be had for around $1,100. That is exactly what one of my professors paid for the parts to build his new system. Also, RAM is dirt cheap (especially SDRAM) so Apple spend an extra buck and at least quadruple the amount of RAM in a Macintosh.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't escape the Microsoft-Unix debate even in my favorite website.

Visual Studio .Net is gonna' kick Java's ass!

[moon]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:BTW, I have never and will never pay $3,000 for an 800 MHz Computer with 128 MB of PC-133 SDRAM. Especially, when an Athlon XP running at 1.6 GHz with DDR-RAM (266 MHz vs. 133 MHz on Macs) can be had for around $1,100. That is exactly what one of my professors paid for the parts to build his new system. Also, RAM is dirt cheap (especially SDRAM) so Apple spend an extra buck and at least quadruple the amount of RAM in a Macintosh.
View Quote

Those numbers don't mean anything. plus you have to look at the long time value. PC's are way more intensive maintainence wise compared to the Mac.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to flame you or anything cc48510, but a 128bit, 133MHz bus is pretty damn fast. Keep in mind that most PII/PIII systems are running 100 or 133 MHz bus, but their data path is only 32 bit. The Mac in this example is moving 4x the data per clock cycle. That is significant. Modern DDR and RAMBUS systems do give these systems quite a boost, but they are still moving data 32 bits at a time.

Now mind you, I'm still not buying a Mac. I have never seen any proof they run faster in anything other than programs it is optimized for, such as Photoshop (and other Adobe apps). I do not use these programs enough to justify the price differential.

More intensive maintence wise, 76? I don't see it. I've been running the same system for about three years now with no maintence to the hardware and software maintence only to fix things I screwed up. The mac is likely more idiot-proof, I will say that, but in the hands of an experienced user, there is no reason you cannot get years of service out of a PC without having to screw with it. Hell, my old man can do it and he's damn near terrified of technology...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now regarding this "proprietary" stuff I hear all of the time, whats proprietary about PCI slots, AGP, DIMMs, etc and an Open Source OS??
View Quote

All of this is relatively new.

Apple was closed source until OS X. Before PCI and AGP, Apple used Propriatary Card Slots. In fact, these weren't in use until recently. Apple discovered that to compete it needed to somewhat standardize it's architecture.

DIMMs, well Apple has for a while been pretty good about supporting standard memory. Unfortunately, they don't come with much memory and until recently the upgradability of memory was pitiful. I bought a Mac and a PC around the same time. Both were brand new top of the line.
View Quote

Partially true but not entirely correct.

NuBus is the name for the card slots they used.
True, these weren't ISA or EISA card slots which were used in PC's at the time but these slots, which by the way [B]WERE NOT[/B] all that propritary. NuBus was used on some mini-Computers and Mainframes. It was licensed from Texas Instruments.

Proprietary hard drives??? SCSI, not proprietary. Most high end servers use(d) SCSI hard drives.

Standard memory, TRUE!

Anything any decent programmer or hardware developer needed to know could be found in the [U]Inside MacIntosh[/U]  books from Apple.

No big secret... Even the ONLY proprietary slot they had, the LC slot, the specs could be found there.

NuBus allowed the Mac to have "Plug And Play" before the IBM compatable world. In the books it told you the correct way to create firmware to address the system, etc...

The comical thing about the MacOS is that OS-X makes me think of A/UX Apples version of Unix in the past.

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't escape the Microsoft-Unix debate even in my favorite website.

Visual Studio .Net is gonna' kick Java's ass!

[moon]
View Quote

Hell [B]NO[/B]!!! [:D] because we're some stubborn S.O.B's... and just refuse to let the issue die [;D].....

Now, excuse me i've gotta RIP some Windows Lovin-Ak Shootin-Chevy Drivin' Fiends a NEW ONE... [chainsawkill]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top