i don't believe you
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Valve > Oculus

Vive FTW.
View Quote
Valve index will destroy both.  The new index controllers are gonna be badass!  Cant wait to get those.  The vive wands suck balls.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try Onward, Contractors and similar shooters... you might be surprised.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VR is awesome, but at this time it;s only for the most serious of racing and flight sim fans.

And even among those, there is a battle between flat screens and vr regarding which is better.

VR is more immersive and "better" but you will lose to ppl on flat screens.

15 years from now? VR. god help our chirens
Play a modded skyrim.  That shit blows me away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been playing Pavlov VR on my Rift lately and it is amazing.  It's literally like Counterstrike in VR... they even ported CS maps into it.  You are literally moving around IN Dust 2.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been playing Pavlov VR on my Rift lately and it is amazing.  It's literally like Counterstrike in VR... they even ported CS maps into it.  You are literally moving around IN Dust 2.
View Quote
I'm def going to have to check out some of the games menyioned itt.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
VR is still in it's infancy.

H2 was introduced with little fanfare (mostly because the initial versions are developer and run $3,500), but Microsoft's Hololens 2 is going to completely redefine the AR/VR world. It uses high definition laser retinal projection via waveguides built into the eyepieces. Apple, Samsung, Sony and several other tier 1 players are all rumored to be pushing towards a similar solution.

The move to mass production is going to come quickly. The MEMS based projection source is well established...pulling the entire package together to expand the field of view was the last major hurdle the design team had to overcome. People who have used it say it's damn near overwhelming.
View Quote
i agree with this. i think augmented reality is the real killer app for VR tech - in the meantime, i don't mind spending a couple bucks to check out the current tech.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They can now.
View Quote
which card is that?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't get past the Screen Door Effect.  My wife tells me to keep trying, but no matter how long I play, I still see it and it bothers me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't get past the Screen Door Effect.  My wife tells me to keep trying, but no matter how long I play, I still see it and it bothers me.
View Quote
On what device are you seeing a bad SDE?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
which card is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can now.
which card is that?
Probably a lot of them.

You didn't say anything about graphics quality
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
VR is awesome, but at this time it;s only for the most serious of racing and flight sim fans.

And even among those, there is a battle between flat screens and vr regarding which is better.

One of my favorites. If it was actually designed around VR it would be near perfection... the number of menus takes you out of it a little
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have to say how disappointed i am with GD. Oculus Quest is so amazing and just about anyone can afford one yet the only two posts about it on ARFCOM are mine?
View Quote
To be fair, I don’t think a lot of people know about the Quest. I wasn’t aware they’d finally come out with a stand-alone version that didn’t require a PC. I built way too many gaming PC’s back in the day and didn’t want to have to build a new one just to try this out. Guess I’ll buy one of these today now that you shared.

Which one did you get? 64Gb or 128Gb?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Xbox will smoke the VR market when they finally decide to make the push for real...they have been building big inroads for years with VR at the Enterprise/commerical level.
View Quote
Eh, I've been hearing that Xbox will crush Sony for more than a decade now.
Microsoft just sucks at game consoles. Sony has crushed them every single time, on every single measure, to the point that they had to actually come out with the X only a few years after one.

I don't doubt that Microsoft is making strides in VR. but I trust Sony to do it just as well, with a console worth a shit.
Either way we win though. I want to be able to play games like Wildlands, Redemption, Prey, and The Last of Us in a life like VR world.
They need to develop VR toys, like rifles.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Occulus Rift, and the one for Pixel phones from google.  Both had the same kind of hatching effect that was very obvious and annoying.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Awesome! I took the VR dive with an HTC vive and its freakin awesome.  Cant hardly play pancake video games anymore.
View Quote
Just got back from the gun shop to let the guys there try it. One owns a vive and says its very comparable visually, but no wires is huge he says
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

To be fair, I don’t think a lot of people know about the Quest. I wasn’t aware they’d finally come out with a stand-alone version that didn’t require a PC. I built way too many gaming PC’s back in the day and didn’t want to have to build a new one just to try this out. Guess I’ll buy one of these today now that you shared.

View Quote
64gb for 399 at best buy. I didnt preorder cause i wanted it day one. I knew best buy was going to carry them. I bought online in store pickup. So i was sure to get it. Really i wanted to buy the damn thing 3 months ago when i heard it was coming out. Sucks to know what you want but have to wait
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. Does it come with a game pack of demos ? May ride up to BB or WM and see if either have them in stock tonight.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell, good to go here.

Off to find my misplaced dicover card.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I was thinking the same thing. That was one of the wildest movies I have seen in a while.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
i hadn't heard of it until a couple of days ago either. I ordered mine as soon as I found out. I went with the 64gb model
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks. Does it come with a game pack of demos ? May ride up to BB or WM and see if either have them in stock tonight.
View Quote
Got to pair to a smart phone, takes about 2 hours to get the setup downloaded. I think the demos are part of that pack since i didnt see them download them when i clicked on them. Hell the tutorial they got you play with blocks, rockets, ping pong, rc blimp. Then there is a gun tutorial, plenty of stuff to keep you occupied for a while before you buy a game.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Occulus Rift, and the one for Pixel phones from google.  Both had the same kind of hatching effect that was very obvious and annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new Rift S and Quest are supposed to have a significantly less noticeable SDE than the CV1.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I spent hours just dicking around in the initial demo that launches when you first setup an Oculus rift. Throwing stuff around, shooting the Nerf guns, it was just amazing. And then I tried Robo Recall, and lost a lot of interest in 2d gaming. It's just so much more fun in VR. The only gripes I have are the cord (a necessary evil for high quality for now) and the resolution. I hadn't heard about the Index, but have to say I'm seriously interested after reading a little about it even though it's pretty pricey.

I did get a little motion sickness after playing the wingsuit game a little too long, and I can't play games like Onward where you actually run around. Teleporting in Robo Recall doesn't bother me at all, so I really like games like Arizona Sunshine with that type of locomotion system.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I bet in 5 years the screen door effect will be a thing of the past. Im also sure that a wireless vr option that uses a beefy pc to run will also be a reality and very soon
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
One of my favorites. If it was actually designed around VR it would be near perfection... the number of menus takes you out of it a little
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out dragonborn speaks natually, immersive quickslots, and magevr mods.  Aside from crafting and inventory managment supposedly these mods bring vr to skyrim.

Now if only i could get them to work
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought this thread was about the Oculus Scopes available at Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bet in 5 years the screen door effect will be a thing of the past. Im also sure that a wireless vr option that uses a beefy pc to run will also be a reality and very soon
View Quote
You can get a wireless adapter for the Vive for about $300 already.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got back from the gun shop to let the guys there try it. One owns a vive and says its very comparable visually, but no wires is huge he says
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome! I took the VR dive with an HTC vive and its freakin awesome.  Cant hardly play pancake video games anymore.
Yeah i want to buy the wireless adapter, but i spent a fair amount of time building a retractable cable system into my ceiling when i finished my basement.  Works really well. So well that i have actually put my wands throught the drywall a few times
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I spent hours just dicking around in the initial demo that launches when you first setup an Oculus rift. Throwing stuff around, shooting the Nerf guns, it was just amazing. And then I tried Robo Recall, and lost a lot of interest in 2d gaming. It's just so much more fun in VR. The only gripes I have are the cord (a necessary evil for high quality for now) and the resolution. I hadn't heard about the Index, but have to say I'm seriously interested after reading a little about it even though it's pretty pricey.

I did get a little motion sickness after playing the wingsuit game a little too long, and I can't play games like Onward where you actually run around. Teleporting in Robo Recall doesn't bother me at all, so I really like games like Arizona Sunshine with that type of locomotion system.
View Quote
Check out natual locomotion on steam.  Its an arm swinging based way to move and it works incredibly well for motion sickness.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
The big tech that people are waiting on is eye tracking. Eye tracking allows them to only include high resolution in the small circle that your eyes actually can see clearly (about the size of a quarter a couple feet in front of you if I remember correctly). That means that they will be able to handle MUCH higher resolutions with MUCH less processing power. Makes wireless much more capable and will require less cutting edge components in your PC/console.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The big tech that people are waiting on is eye tracking. Eye tracking allows them to only include high resolution in the small circle that your eyes actually can see clearly (about the size of a quarter a couple feet in front of you if I remember correctly). That means that they will be able to handle MUCH higher resolutions with MUCH less processing power. Makes wireless much more capable and will require less cutting edge components in your PC/console.
View Quote
Oculus said they called the just released version the S rather than the 2 because it wasn't enough of an increase to say it was really something that made it second generation.  Eye tracking and variable resolution would probably be that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Well fuck, 2 hrs of driving around, multiple stores and 40 miles and I finally got one at WalMart in the mo’fuggin hood! Almost had to blade at 45

Don’t know if I have 2 hrs to set it up tonight before I fall asleep LOL
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another thing i find extreamly odd. This thing is portable so i brought it to work. Got a few to try it. Those that did were utterly stunned at it. But some no matter how good they were told it is refused to try it. With no real reason other than i dont want to look stupid like that guy. I really dont get it. Very strange.
Kind of makes me feel like a drug dealer trying to get people hooked on drugs i know they'll enjoy. Some try it and some wont
View Quote
A buddy of mine brought his scuba gear to local pool. Several people tried it, but a few tried and could not bring themselves to go under. Makes no sense to me, but they said they were afraid to breathe under water.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well fuck, 2 hrs of driving around, multiple stores and 40 miles and I finally got one at WalMart in the mo’fuggin hood! Almost had to blade at 45

Don’t know if I have 2 hrs to set it up tonight before I fall asleep LOL
View Quote
That is about how it went down for me, i had car problems driving up to missoula. Damn radiator plugged up and the engine over heated on me. Side tracked for 45min getting coolant and putting it in. Making sure i didnt have any leaks. Had to run the heater on the 45min drive home. By the time i got it going i think it was 10:30 and i had to work. I got to try out the tutorial and downloaded the roller coaster game. Had to put it down and go to bed after just a couple minutes.

Just installed a new radiator today so theres that
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine brought his scuba gear to local pool. Several people tried it, but a few tried and could not bring themselves to go under. Makes no sense to me, but they said they were afraid to breathe under water.
View Quote
You know actually that is a pretty good description of what VR is like. So cool its like sitting on the bottom and breathing almost normally. Scuba is really cool too. Very similar experiences
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's free. All of the updates have been free so far.

I haven't played it in a while, because they kept resetting the algorithm that creates the universe, so I have been waiting until they are finally "done" updating it, but they've already added freighters, land vehicles, bases you can build, multiplayer, 3rd person view and much more.

It's a lot closer to what their original vision was, and the VR update is definitely my excuse to return.

ETA: No Man's Sky release log that should explain all the updates in detail. https://www.nomanssky.com/release-log/
View Quote
All of this.  Neat open ended game, not for everyone.  I don't really care about VR, though; to each their own.

Probably doesn't help that I'm over 90% certain VR would really mess with me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You know actually that is a pretty good description of what VR is like. So cool its like sitting on the bottom and breathing almost normally. Scuba is really cool too. Very similar experiences
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Speaking of scuba and roller coasters, did the tutorial then I road the roller coaster (holy shitballs that was fun AF), and ended up under water when the track broke and the coaster fell in the water. Let the wife try the coaster too and she about fell over. Left it in the hands of my 19 yr old to play with it tonight while I get some sleep. Good call OP, think this is going to be fun for the whole family!
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the vader experience going it will blow your mind. I say that cause its not so much a game as an experience but so worth the 10 bucks
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#39]
apparently they've figured out how to run steam games on the quest
How To Play Steam VR Games On Your Oculus Quest
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]
So i just got dead and buried. The shoot out multiplayer is great, im moving around to get cover, crawling around the room. Taking shots at other players as i get the chance. Two rounds and im sweating. Enable the mic and you can talk and hear what the other players are saying. Crazy world !
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Man fuck No Man’s Sky, if they release VR it better be free if I paid for the regular game considering what a lump of shit it was when released.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the PSVR. Playing Doom, Skyrim, and especially Resident Evil 7 in VR has been an absolute joy.
No Man's Sky VR update coming later this year.
Man fuck No Man’s Sky, if they release VR it better be free if I paid for the regular game considering what a lump of shit it was when released.
Have you played it since the updates? Totally different game.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So i just got dead and buried. The shoot out multiplayer is great, im moving around to get cover, crawling around the room. Taking shots at other players as i get the chance. Two rounds and im sweating. Enable the mic and you can talk and hear what the other players are saying. Crazy world !
View Quote
That's been my favorite multiplayer game so far, but there's almost never anyone on. It's also the one where the cord pisses me off the most, I've gotten stuck on it so many times trying to duck behind a barrel or something. And yeah, I never imagined I'd sweat so much from a video game.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's been my favorite multiplayer game so far, but there's almost never anyone on. It's also the one where the cord pisses me off the most, I've gotten stuck on it so many times trying to duck behind a barrel or something. And yeah, I never imagined I'd sweat so much from a video game.
View Quote
Is this game on the Oculus? If I go buy one today what do I have to do to play it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Got it last night but it took hours to update. Got a couple minutes to mess around a bit. I got beat saber and Vader game downloaded and just spent some time with Vader. Holy shit! Regular video games have nothing on VR. This is my first experience with VR. I can tell you it really is like being in another world. Now the real world seems weird.

Think the system sucks for youtube vr as even though the screens in the thing are very high resolution, its not enough and is grainy. Some call it the screen door effect. Annoying but while gaming that doesnt seem to make a difference and you forget about it. Complete immersion in the game.  Its wild.

Plus its fun to watch someone else play it. They look so stupid
View Quote
I havent got a fuckin clue what your talking about.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is this game on the Oculus? If I go buy one today what do I have to do to play it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If (big IF), you can actually find an Oculus Quest in stock anywhere... it comes with everything you need to play it for $399

Family has been playing on it for 4 hrs this morning. Mind is blown. Might have to pickup a 2nd one...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the PSVR. Playing Doom, Skyrim, and especially Resident Evil 7 in VR has been an absolute joy.
No Man's Sky VR update coming later this year.
I did, and returned it. Repetitive and boring.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not to beat a dead horse, but much of what you're talking about is water under the bridge.

Hololens 2 again, with gesture control and wide field of view. Note the form factor...there are no cables or tethers - the entire package is small, light and self-contained.

Skip to 3:15. This isn't vaporware, it exists and they're taking orders (again, developers initially). You're actually going to wear your entire computer. It's already being called The Third Age of Computing.

ETA: The Pentagon just bought $480 million worth of these things...

Apollo 11 HoloLens 2 Demo | Microsoft Build 2019 | Unreal Engine
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
No cords on the quest, but i can see you dont want to play that game in the garage. Concrete is to tough on the knees. Need carpeting
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#50]
interesting thing, i could still go to Best Buy in Missoula and buy a Quest. But that is the only option. Kind of odd
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top