User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It costs $25 a year to use the Amazon.com download service for their books. The kindle uses it's own wi fi system, which means you don't have to look for a wi fi signal somewhere. There are a lot of books that are free to download, or pretty cheap. My wife won a kindle3 and I've been playing around with it. It's ok. I don't do a lot of reading anymore, but it saves on buying books and having them sit around.

Theres no fee to download Kindle books.

And it uses a cell phone service (which is included in the cost of the device), NOT wifi.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It costs $25 a year to use the Amazon.com download service for their books. The kindle uses it's own wi fi system, which means you don't have to look for a wi fi signal somewhere. There are a lot of books that are free to download, or pretty cheap. My wife won a kindle3 and I've been playing around with it. It's ok. I don't do a lot of reading anymore, but it saves on buying books and having them sit around.

And it uses a cell phone service (which is included in the cost of the device), NOT wifi.  

The cheapest Kindles are wifi-only.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cheapest Kindles are wifi-only.

yea thats what I am looking at
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont own either the Kindle or the Nook. So I dont have that "You must buy what I buy to make myself feel important" mentality. Ive researched it and know people that have both plus other models. Just get the Kindle if all you want is a reader.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one for my mother last year.   She has abused that thing to no end.  Shes up to maybe 7 books a week read on it on average.   My father, who hates reading will even 'borrow' it for a time to read a book (in about a month).

I'm thinking about getting the newer wifi-only version of it after comparing it directly to an ipad and a nook (thanks to people at work that like gadgets).

Ipad is nice, but couldn't see reading on one for any period of time.   The Nook just made me want to toss it in the trash due to the UI.  It seems like Amazon just 'got it right' with the Kindle format.

/Wifi only for the Kindle as I have WiFi just about everywhere I go (home, work and a VzW MiFi that goes everywhere with me).
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been debating one for a while now. I think engadget had a blurb about an android reader that was coming out shortly.

The only drawback I see with the ereaders is the same for pc readers. Screens have an edge flicker that causes eye strain, I read to relax or take a skill course not strain my eyes further and on the comp enough as is.

Granted for the author they are making a slaying vs. print.

This????
The CruzTM Reader
 from Velocity® Micro
""

http://www.borders.com/online/store/MediaView_cruz-reader

http://snipurl.com/11bypq

Identical to the paandigital Novel from kohls, walgreens, bed bath and beyond, or BJs for $149. Runs an optimized android 1.5 "cupcake". Resistive touchscreen, comes with either b&n or borers e-reader preinstalled.

The augen from kmart runs android 2.1. Fast browser. resistive touchscreen. $169. Android market is disabled. Installs of apps via SD easily enough. Rooted. Source code just released.

Apad from ebay. Find reviews online. Dealextreme sells them.

The disadvantage to the color screen is the backlight.  The flat white screen on the Kindle is very easy on the eyes.  No eyestrain (not yet) while reading.  Touchscreen . . . for something I am going to be reading on . . . no.  I dislike reading through fingerprints.

They do look like decent palmtop PC's, though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
any word on when the kindle is getting an SD slot?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I use my new kindle 3 every night
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Get an iPad.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine as a Christmas gift last year and LOVE it.  I am an avid reader and travel a lot great to not hoof books.  If I finish what I'm reading, I use its free wireless and download a new book in 30 seconds.  Then I have the iphone and ipad kindle apps so even if I dont have the kindle I pick up where I left off.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top