Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a recruiter for a major government contractor.

MEs, EEs and CS/CEs are our biggest hires now.  Nuclear pretty much limits you to DOE work, Sandia National Labs, etc.

Aerospace background is always good (minor maybe?), but keep in mind 47% of our new hires this year will be EEs.  Followed by 31% CS, 13% CE, 10% ME... aero accounts for 4% of our goals this year.

Hope this helps.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any electrical engineers here???

I was wondering the same...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm a recruiter for a major government contractor.

MEs, EEs and CS/CEs are our biggest hires now.  Nuclear pretty much limits you to DOE work, Sandia National Labs, etc.

Aerospace background is always good (minor maybe?), but keep in mind 47% of our new hires this year will be EEs.  Followed by 31% CS, 13% CE, 10% ME... aero accounts for 4% of our goals this year.

Hope this helps.

Tyler

Who is it that you work for?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Get your M.E. and focus in thermodynamics.

You will be able to do Aerospace, mechanical, and some nuclear. (You can pick up whatever else you need for nuclear after the fact).  Thermo probably also opens the door for petroleum.

Good thermo engineers are needed in just about every discipline out there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:31:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any electrical engineers here???

I was wondering the same...

EE grad student here  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a BSME, but rarely use it - but that's my fault.  I recommmend ME as its the broadest with the most options.  I'm in the aerospace field, but could always go do HVAC, etc should I need to.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#7]

I did the Aero & Mech dual major.

Got a job as a Mechie, just passed 6 years in the workforce.

Probably use 10% of what I learned in college.

I sit in front of a computer all day.

Try to work for a smaller company, all this big company bullsh!t is annoying as hell.

Do not go up the management ladder unless you want to be an excel engineer and go to meetings all day long.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, not to complain, but those of you putting down Nukes don't have a clue what you are talking about.  I am a Nuke with 11 years in the field so far.  I won't claim to know what other fields are like, but ours is very nice.  I do know I started at a higher pay than the rest of my engineering friends (PE, ChemE, ME, EE and AE) and 10+ years later I am still making considerable more than them.  There are plenty of jobs out there for Nukes doing a wide variety of things.  You can work at a power plant, design work for reactors or cores, fuel manufacturing, spent fuel storage, waste, health physics, medical, national lab, homeland security, DOE work, Navy work, international stuff, etc. etc.  The only down side to it is you are somewhat limited in the location you can choose from, since they don't put a majority of our jobs in the middle of a big city.  Nuke is the way to go for some, but it is definitely not for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Mechanical Engineer here.  Good variety of different industries you can go in to.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top