Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I don't know why people can't just embrace what makes them successful. Cherry Pie was a huge commercial success and made him famous. Did he think he was going to be Elvis?

Exactly, Loudon Wainwright probably regrets "Dead skunk in the middle of the road"  and I'll bet Arlo Guthrie would rather not have to play "Alices restaurant" ever again. But they keep on.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen him in concert back in the 80s with warrant. He was a entertainer and a pretty good song writer.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a good idea before I clicked on this thread on who it was. He's been a mess for a long time. RIP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
n
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like he...

<puts on sunglasses>

...signed his own Death Warrant.

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh I'm hellbound for laughin...

We're on an express elevator to Hell.  Going down...  

Ill go warm up the bus.....

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

n
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like he...

<puts on sunglasses>

...signed his own Death Warrant.
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh I'm hellbound for laughin...

We're on an express elevator to Hell.  Going down...  

Ill go warm up the bus.....

I guess he is Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich no more.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I knew him as Johnny Oswald back in the late 70's. Sad to hear.

John Kennedy Oswald.  Now that's a messed up name.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:58:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw them three times after they were on the way down.  Hell of a show every time. He really put his heart into it, just 100% energy.  

The ladies still seemed to like him, too, fat or not.  College-age tail all over that place, flashing him to get pulled on stage, the whole bit.  

A classic hair metal front man.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:40:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for tHe the music John.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 3:01:47 AM EDT
[#9]

edit:

Maybe not the best band ever, but they were a part of my formative years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:02:30 AM EDT
[#10]
"I'm cherry pie guy."
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I think he had some deeper issues than the Cherry pie shit.....99% of ANY musician {myself included} would LOVE to have a One hit wonder song than a no hit wonder!
 I assume he got some MAJOR royalty's off that song. Besides that, they had a pretty good run in the mid/late 80's with other decent songs....I would have loved to been a rockstar back in those days!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks for the music Jani, RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dh79Ggx9Js

That was one of my favorites, Monster Ballads!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks for the music Jani, RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dh79Ggx9Js

Amen.

Every song on DRFSR was good.  On Cherry Pie the only song I could listen to was Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Sad.

RIP Jani.

Warrant's music was pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't know why people can't just embrace what makes them successful. Cherry Pie was a huge commercial success and made him famous. Did he think he was going to be Elvis?

Exactly, Loudon Wainwright probably regrets "Dead skunk in the middle of the road"  and I'll bet Arlo Guthrie would rather not have to play "Alices restaurant" ever again. But they keep on.  

Then again, both of them could walk into a strip club, drink, and forget about all of that nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Talk about depressing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1xpknCHCQ

poor him
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess he is Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich no more.

Well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was found in a Comfort Inn.

That's just plain depressing.

Yeah, he will be missed.  I am a huge 80's metal fan, having grown up durring that time.  They all seem to be passing on well before their time, I feel like a part of my youth is being stripped away.

I know exactly how you feel.

Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot, Ronnie James Dio, and now Jani Lane are dead.

Judas Priest is doing their final tour.

And most of these guys from the 80's music scene are in their 50's and 60's now.

It makes me feel one helluva lot older than 41.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#20]

The girl in the Cherry Pie video was Bobbi Brown. She grew up down the street from me. I am pretty sure

they were married had a daughter. I know they divorced and at one time her life was a mess. I am pretty

sure his was as well.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The opening riff to Cherry Pie was one iof the first riffs I learned when I got my first guitar at age 13.

It gonna suck to start seeing the guys I grew up listening to die off.

RIP
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I met those guys many years ago, I think I was about 12 at the time, I had their album already and they were doing an album signing at a local record store, they were cool as hell (to a 12 year old).

I remember they had their girlfriends there and it was the first time in my young life that I was in the presence of a woman who looked like that.  Legs to their shoulders, huge tits, gorgeous...I distinctly remember that moment as a defining moment of my young life, because the effect that standing next to those women had on me is something I still remember.

It was similar to the first time I shot a powerful handgun, I was aware that the sensation I had was something that I would want to experience as often as possible when I got older.

RIP.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
RIP          
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
As an 80s hair metal lover, kind of a bummer.

As a lout, I have to say "I guess heaven wasn't too far away"
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Talk about depressing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR1xpknCHCQ

and the sad part is titty bars around the country will be playing that song with 2 for 1 dances or some other "tribute" to Jani Lane all weekend
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I was never into hair bands at all but I liked hot chicks and their one hit wonder song got a lot of airplay and video time back in the day.  Bobbi brown was smokin hot etc etc.

Fast forward about 15 years and I see her on one of those late night "blind date" type shows. Holy buckets what a mess....I don't expect eye candy to be rocket surgeons but I just felt sad and depressed seeing what a train wreck her life had become after attaining basically exactly what she had set out to do.  Same thing as jani really.

Getting old sucks...I'm going to do my best not to have it end in a comfort inn somewhere.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top