Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to work at a dicks...

I GUARANTEE they will have at most 1 or 2 in stock. Better get there early.

The store I was at had a couple really good deals advertised on guns, but we never got any of them in stock. That was a rough day.

You must have worked at a 2 million dollar store then

LOL no

We were one of the highest grossing stores in the company at one point. It just seemed that the regional management didn't have the lodge and gun sales as one of their top priorities. We routinely had custom orders of $700+ firearms disregarded.

If you dont mind me asking when did you work there? Lodge department has grown tons.  If you dont do the buisness you arent going to get the product... I dont have any problem doing requests and talking to my DM about getting more of certain products.
 Only way you can "custom order" is by special order.
Like I said I currently have AT LEAST 12 of the 700 ADL varmits that will be on sale, I also didnt work today so we might have sold a few because they are also on sale this week.

I worked there from August 2011- February 2012

It probably has something to do with our location. The store was in an area that isn't very gun friendly. However, it did seem like local and regional management put gun sales on the back burner. We had an assistant manager that pretty much refused to sign off on gun sales. One day I had made a gun sale and it took her over an hour to come to the front and sign the paperwork. The customer was pissed and said something to her and she basically blamed me. The customer defended me and she continued to attack me in front of the customer. Then I told her it was her fault not my fault and I got sent home and written up.

We also had special ordered several expensive shotguns for one gentleman, and corporate canceled the order without telling us twice. The customer waited 2 months to hear back about his order. Regional managements response was "Oh well it was one customer"
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Once upon a time (two years ago) I tried to buy a 700 at Dick's.  Only one other person was at the gun counter that Saturday night.  I can't imagine attempting to buy a gun at Dick's on black Friday.

Me: "I'd like to buy this 700"

He: "Okay, it will take a while to get the paperwork filled out and do the background check."

Me: "How long is 'a while?' "

He: "Probably 45 minutes or so."

Me: "Really?  Why is that?  Is the NICS system down?"

He: "It just takes a while, plus there is another guy in front of you buying something."

Me: "I can do my part in 90 seconds or less, and if you call it in you will have an answer within a few minutes."

He: "It doesn't happen that fast."

Me: "Maybe not here, but it does in the real world.  I bought a rifle in under five minutes last week.  See ya."

Dick's is aptly named, cool story bro, etc...
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought one 3 wks ago when they had the $50 rebate and a $50 gift card. Was $400 out the door.
It's a good deal. It doesnt have the new weird trigger. Stock sucks. Scope sucks. But for a heavy barreled action it's a deal.
The .223 is a 1/12 twist

I've already cut the barrel to 16" and have a Surefire can on it for my boys first rifle this Xmas.

Will you adopt me?

1/12 twist...  image when Jr. tries to shoot 75gr match rounds.  You could warp his self esteem for life!

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't fight the crowds that day if they were giving them away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You do realize those are the factory seconds that WalMart turned away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't fight the crowds that day if they were giving them away.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#7]
take the advertisement with the sales price to Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain.......and see if they will match the price.  I've had good luck with advertised prices, even BlackFriday ads.  Just take the ad with the product you want up to the manager at the customer service/returns counter when you first come in.   Ask them very politely and quitely.  They have always said yes when I ask if they will price match.  If possible, get them to sign or initial the ad in question so you don't have to go through it again with a different manager or checkout person.

Back when the local Dicks had firearms and ammo they would always live up to their name.  One year the local Dicks manager decided the Buy one, Get one, 50% off all ammo actually ment Buy one, Get one 50% off.  It hadn't been that way for a couple years but that year it was.  I told the manager I didn't want the ammo and left it at the checkout.  I noticed about 3000 rounds of ammo behind the checkout counter as I left.  I asked the checkout girl if I could help by taking the ammo back to the firearms department.  She said no thanks, everyone was leaving the ammo up front when the found out the new price.  She figured that if it stayed up front then the back would "sale out" and she wouldn't have to deal with it all day.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#8]
That scope will be good for ??????

hmm I can't think of a single thing that scope will be good for.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]
What contour barrel do these normally have?   Please let it not be that stupid triangle design.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bought one 3 wks ago when they had the $50 rebate and a $50 gift card. Was $400 out the door.
It's a good deal. It doesnt have the new weird trigger. Stock sucks. Scope sucks. But for a heavy barreled action it's a deal.
The .223 is a 1/12 twist

I've already cut the barrel to 16" and have a Surefire can on it for my boys first rifle this Xmas.

Will you adopt me?

1/12 twist...  image when Jr. tries to shoot 75gr match rounds.  You could warp his self esteem for life!

I have a shit-ton of 55gr jsp for that. It's just a training rifle for the little fella.

When he wants to get really accurate, I have several GAP rifles he can move up to.
(And now that its cut with a Wylde chamber, I can let him pop greentip all day long.)

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone get in on this deal?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah - picked up one in .308.

Scope is shit and stock is shit - but hey, I was only buying the action anyway. 15 minutes to fill out the paperwork and 2 hours to wait in line to pay . Couldn't pick it up until today...

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Debating on going to walmart today to pick up a Ruger American. After a bunch of looking it seems that the $333 deal they have on it might be one of the better ones for a bolt action this year. Granted the 700 action is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, fellow Arfcommer big-Al and myself got a pair in .22-250 last night just after midnight. Caliber wasn't critical to me, as I plan to have it rebarreled and all of the calibers but .223 would work for my project. I just chose the .22-250 in case I decided to whack a few coyotes before stripping it down to the action in the future.

Did your store have any in .308?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Spotted this deal yesterday.  Was all over this.  Thought it'd be a great way to get a starter for a more elaborate build/customization.

Ready to go stand in line at midnight.  THEN, found out (by accident) Dick's in California (yeah, I know.....) generally don't carry guns or ammo.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Spotted this deal yesterday.  Was all over this.  Thought it'd be a great way to get a starter for a more elaborate build/customization.

Ready to go stand in line at midnight.  THEN, found out (by accident) Dick's in California (yeah, I know.....) generally don't carry guns or ammo.

Oh man, after standing in line for hours, walk in and ask Joe Associate "which way to the gun counter? JA: What gun counter?"

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Debating on going to walmart today to pick up a Ruger American. After a bunch of looking it seems that the $333 deal they have on it might be one of the better ones for a bolt action this year. Granted the 700 action is awesome.

From looking at it isint the Ruger American essentially a Savage?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You could be the first buyer through the door and they won't have the caliber you want.  (!)

Ray

Arfcom gd should be called THE LAND OF WRONG.

So I leave the folks place just after 9:15 pm. The action plan was this...while all the idiot dick bags would be at Walmart hhgreg etc stabbing each other for a 97 dollar t v. I'd slip in to the line at dicks. I arrive at 10:10.

There was no line. I was mother fuckin FIRST. Yes that's right I STARTED THE LINE. Here is a shot from the head of the line at the Ocala dicks:

They open at 11:45 by 11:50 I was filling out the 4473 for a 3 oh 8 varmiter. Was then handed paper work and sent to a register. By 12:10 I had paid had to wait till this afternoon to take possession since Fdle is asleep at 12:10 am. Had to go back to Ocala today anyway for other stuff anyway and picked up before lunch. Behold the poor mans m24:

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#20]
General rule of thumb around here is whatever's on sale in the flyer, they ran out of a month ago, won't restock for another week and no rain checks.

fuck Dick's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Got in on this deal two years ago.  Wasn't in the local circular so I had to go home to get a printout.  Hour latwr I was out the door.  Glad I went through the hassle because she is a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's worth it even just for the action alone.

Yeah-this

I am about the first guy to hammer folks for getting caught up in the for the most part black friday crap but we are talking a Remington 700.

I don't think much of Dicks either but go for it. I would pass on the package deal, I hate bargin scopes, Try for the plain bare rifle.

Heck, I bought a 223 Rem 700  SPS 3 or so years ago at Cabellas because it was on sale and I believe after the sale and rebate it was
$449 + Tax and I thought I was getting a decent deal at the time, $350 ish is outstanding

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's worth it even just for the action alone.

Yeah-this

I am about the first guy to hammer folks for getting caught up in the for the most part black friday crap but we are talking a Remington 700.

I don't think much of Dicks either but go for it. I would pass on the package deal, I hate bargin scopes, Try for the plain bare rifle.

Heck, I bought a 223 Rem 700  SPS 3 or so years ago at Cabellas because it was on sale and I believe after the sale and rebate it was
$449 + Tax and I thought I was getting a decent deal at the time, $350 ish is outstanding

The scope is in the box from the factory- you won't save anything trying to buy a plain one from some other source. The $100 rebate is a Dick's exclusive.

I put one away in Plainville this afternoon- I've got to go back tomorrow, or something, to get the bg taken care of....they were having difficulty getting through to authorizations. I got down there just before the sale ended and I was shocked how many they still had left (except in .308).
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That scope will be good for ??????

hmm I can't think of a single thing that scope will be good for.

Buy a 10/22 at the same time. Put it on the 10/22.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could be the first buyer through the door and they won't have the caliber you want.  (!)

Ray

So I leave the folks place just after 9:15 pm. The action plan was this...while all the idiot dick bags would be at Walmart hhgreg etc stabbing each other for a 97 dollar t v. I'd slip in to the line at dicks. I arrive at 10:10.

There was no line. I was mother fuckin FIRST. Yes that's right I STARTED THE LINE. Here is a shot from the head of the line at the Ocala dicks:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/925616EE-02E2-46D9-85C8-3C4E95530C05-6690-00000763A8436E05.jpg

They open at 11:45 by 11:50 I was filling out the 4473 for a 3 oh 8 varmiter. Was then handed paper work and sent to a register. By 12:10 I had paid had to wait till this afternoon to take possession since Fdle is asleep at 12:10 am. Had to go back to Ocala today anyway for other stuff anyway and picked up before lunch. Behold the poor mans m24:
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/22812A32-4B0B-4E7D-B22E-7C3B0F5C0145-6690-0000076298258F0C.jpg

Yeah nobody seemed to listen to me. I had 15 alone at my store and didn't even sell out fully. Still had a couple 223 and a couple 22-250s when I left at 6pm. They just hear what they want to and ignore the rest.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
X-Match trigger sucks on the new Rems.  I don't blame Rem for this after being taken to the woodshed over trig problems.  First order of business if you buy one,  ditch the trigger, replace it with 3rd party version.

I saw a real purdy CDL at WallyWorld the other day in a .243.   It did not last long on their shelf.

No, just take the spring in the trigger out, and burn the creep screw loose. It's actually a really good design, for a Remington.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man, after standing in line for hours, walk in and ask Joe Associate "which way to the gun counter? JA: What gun counter?"  

Yeah....just glad I found out before I got in the car!  Still pissed though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From looking at it isint the Ruger American essentially a Savage?  

Oh, not even close.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Academy has Remington 700 ADL's (I believe Academy is the last place that sells ADL's) that rotate the price every 2 weeks between $369 and $349 all year long FYI if you just want the action which is why I buy them and give away the stock and use the barrel as a tamato stake, if you want one with a blind box.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ray

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/925616EE-02E2-46D9-85C8-3C4E95530C05-6690-00000763A8436E05.jpg

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/22812A32-4B0B-4E7D-B22E-7C3B0F5C0145-6690-0000076298258F0C.jpg

You'll be surprised at how accurate they can be for such a cheap rifle (though admittedly I paid a few hundred more since mine wasn't on special when I bought it). I put some burris XTR rings and a Falcon 4x14 FFP scope (decent scope actually once I tightened up the turrets) and a harris clone on it. It will do 0.6in at 100yrd with off the shelf 150gr ammo. The barrel is a bit heavy, but i think that's where the accuracy is coming from.

I've though about tricking mine out, but other than a AICS and having the barrel threaded I may just leave it near stock. I'd like to get a Leupold mk4 at some point, but as is it's been a great precision rifle, and is actually my dedicated precision rifle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Academy has Remington 700 ADL's (I believe Academy is the last place that sells ADL's) that rotate the price every 2 weeks between $369 and $349 all year long FYI if you just want the action which is why I buy them and give away the stock and use the barrel as a tamato stake, if you want one with a blind box.  

Not the same rifle. Different profile barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the same rifle. Different profile barrel.

If you throw the barrel away and give the stock away the action works out to be the same

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
anyway.....

This sale was a Black Friday only thing  and ended last night, right?

[no sad face - I don't "need" one. The price was just below my "can't pass price", and it was driving me phucking nuts!]

It was a door buster and ran from midnight to 2pm.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to work at a dicks...

I GUARANTEE they will have at most 1 or 2 in stock. Better get there early.

The store I was at had a couple really good deals advertised on guns, but we never got any of them in stock. That was a rough day.

You must have worked at a 2 million dollar store then

LOL no

We were one of the highest grossing stores in the company at one point. It just seemed that the regional management didn't have the lodge and gun sales as one of their top priorities. We routinely had custom orders of $700+ firearms disregarded.

This  is  typical . They  are  nothing  more  than  Nikes  whipping  boy .
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok, so how did you guys that bought one do the mail in rebate? There is no paperwork with mine that says anything about the rebate, and I can't find anything on Remington's site or Dick's site either...
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok, so how did you guys that bought one do the mail in rebate? There is no paperwork with mine that says anything about the rebate, and I can't find anything on Remington's site or Dick's site either...

They gave me a paper to fill out, here is the scan i took of mine, looks like hell but looks no better then what they gave me
Link
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.dsg.rebateaccess.com/promotion.php?p=44649

I did notice that the mailing address on the form that Dick's gave me differs from the one online. I mailed mine to the address on the form Dick's gave me just to be safe.

Thanks! That's a big help, I don't think the people at Dick's really knew what was going on..
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top