Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]

If I didn't reload I would be sitting on the couch watching TV.  

That's a net benefit considering watching most TV makes you dumber.

Quoted:
Quoted:
.357 Magnum is @ +/- 90% Blackout performance. What did we achieve again?
View Quote

Yeah, I was going to post that it appears similar to 357M or 10mm.

View Quote

Check the BC on those pistol bullets and see what velocity you have at 100 or 150 yards.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like it. Barnes black tips for deer hunting and 220 grain subs for home defense with the AAC can
View Quote

Subsonic .300 is stupid for defense.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good vid OP!

Have you ever tested 125gr Hornady from that setup?
My daughter an I "tested" it on two does (yummy) in 2013, just would like to see how it does in gel.
View Quote

I haven't, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like it. Barnes black tips for deer hunting and 220 grain subs for home defense with the AAC can

Yup!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

lies.. thats vid is all lies.. the 300 sux. is just that. a shitty round that needs forgotten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have two 300blk out guns...

A 8inch that I use for home defense with a suppressor...125grain Nosler BT supers

A 16 inch gun for hogs and dear with a 110 barnes Tac-Tx  (I have not chrono graphed these but the 125 noslers were 2315FPS average out of this gun)

Not my video.
http://youtu.be/nsRUfA1_Alw

I also shoot 220 grain subs out of the 8 inch for my night time plinking needs..

lies.. thats vid is all lies.. the 300 sux. is just that. a shitty round that needs forgotten.

especially expanding subs those are the stupidest....and the most suxors
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Check the BC on those pistol bullets and see what velocity you have at 100 or 150 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm aware the diameter and pointyness will affect how it performs further out.  I think at that point I'd prefer my 556 SBR.  With 75 gr subsonic 556 if subsonic is so crucial.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which is substantial, since this is Arfcom and everyone hear makes at least $750 an hour.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never quite understood the hate for the 300BLK. The argument of pistol versus carbine has always ragged over home defense. Now you have a cartridge that will give 2x the power of a .40 out of a 8" barrel that uses powder very efficiently and has a capacity of 30 rounds. I'm having a hard time seeing why folks crap all over the round...the only down side I see is cost, but if you catch a sale, it's not all THAT bad.
I shoot .300 Blackout precisely due to cost--LOW cost.  Using cast/powder coated bullets (I cast myself) I can shoot it for about 7 cents a round.  That's $1.40 per box of 20.  

Let's not ignore the opportunity cost of doing that work.

Which is substantial, since this is Arfcom and everyone hear makes at least $750 an hour.  

The opportunity cost isn't what his rate is, it's what he could have been making during the time he was loading. If he had no ability to make money during that time then his opportunity cost was, in fact, $0.00.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think Oly makes a 10mm upper.  I'd kind of like a 10mm AR SBR upper that uses Glock mags.  Then I'd be running ammo I can use in the rifle and pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Oly makes a 10mm upper.  I'd kind of like a 10mm AR SBR upper that uses Glock mags.  Then I'd be running ammo I can use in the rifle and pistols.

Get out of my head!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 8inch that I use for home defense with a suppressor...125grain Nosler BT supers

A 16 inch gun for hogs and dear with a 110 barnes Tac-Tx  (I have not chrono graphed these but the 125 noslers were 2315FPS average out of this gun)

Not my video.

I also shoot 220 grain subs out of the 8 inch for my night time plinking needs..

Have we found one that will reliably expand when fired through heavy clothing?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, it isn't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two reactions:

1. .300 Blackout performs near .30-30 or 7.62X39?--not in that video.

2. Still lethal.

Like I've said before, .300 BO is more akin to a .30 Carbine than the x39.

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yup!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup!
Agreed 100%

To me, .300blk has a few advantages with certain ammo.  

The 110gr Barnes Blacktips offer full expansion, and solid expansion out to 300+ yards out of a short barrel.  And it's barrier blind to boot.  

That's what makes it worthwhile to me.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my video.

nope they are all shit..
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my video.

yes...but it is not being made anymore... and the number of rounds I had was limited...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Energy isn't the best indicator terminal performance. You can have two rounds with identical KE, one will be devastating and the other pretty minimal.

Velocity is pretty important for temporary cavitation. The 300BLK in the video above has a somewhat marginal velocity. The 5.56 50gr is going ~2650 FPS.

Out of 8" barrels, they're both short range (100 yard or so) guns, really.

Expansion is just a more reliable method of getting good temporary cavity effects than yaw.

As mentioned above, the TSX rounds for 300blk are great as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How's that compared to a similar 300blk round?  and..at distance? (at work, or I'd look it up)

556 loses huge muzzle energy at 8", and considerable velocity.  Effective range would have to suffer greatly.

Energy isn't the best indicator terminal performance. You can have two rounds with identical KE, one will be devastating and the other pretty minimal.

Velocity is pretty important for temporary cavitation. The 300BLK in the video above has a somewhat marginal velocity. The 5.56 50gr is going ~2650 FPS.

Out of 8" barrels, they're both short range (100 yard or so) guns, really.

Expansion is just a more reliable method of getting good temporary cavity effects than yaw.

As mentioned above, the TSX rounds for 300blk are great as well.

I was pretty sure 300blk had good terminal velocity past 300 yards, which beats 556.

From what I have read (I don't reload...so kinda iffy on this topic),  300blk uses magnum pistol powder (which makes the 357 mag comparison above interesting).  Faster burning powder would give better results in a short barrel than slower burning rifle powder.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two reactions:

1. .300 Blackout performs near .30-30 or 7.62X39?--not in that video.

2. Still lethal.

Like I've said before, .300 BO is more akin to a .30 Carbine than the x39.

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.

Nope.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't have access to an 8" barrel, but 7.62x39mm does substantially better from a 10.5" barrel than .300 BLK does from an 8" barrel, FWIW.

Winchester 120 gr PDX1 fired from 10.5" Zastava M92 PAP

Impact velocity: 2,182 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 111.4 gr
Max expansion: 1.048"
Min expansion: 0.193"

122 gr Wolf HP fired from 10.5" barrel Zastava M92 PAP

Impact velocity: 2,206 fps
Penetration: N/A
Retained weight: 108.1 gr
Max expansion: 0.921"
Min expansion: 0.478"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.300 BLK does fall short of the velocity that 7.62x39mm can produce, but not by a lot. It seems to shine at about 110 gr, whereas 7.62x39mm really struts at about 125 gr.

Does 7.62X39 do as well out of an 8" barrel?  I'm sure someone has done the testing.

I don't have access to an 8" barrel, but 7.62x39mm does substantially better from a 10.5" barrel than .300 BLK does from an 8" barrel, FWIW.

Winchester 120 gr PDX1 fired from 10.5" Zastava M92 PAP

Impact velocity: 2,182 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 111.4 gr
Max expansion: 1.048"
Min expansion: 0.193"

122 gr Wolf HP fired from 10.5" barrel Zastava M92 PAP

Impact velocity: 2,206 fps
Penetration: N/A
Retained weight: 108.1 gr
Max expansion: 0.921"
Min expansion: 0.478"

Substantially?

I think it's the opposite.

Your numbers above have a 125 gr bullet from 8" barrel hitting at 1,963 fps.  I'd guess 2.5" would be at *least* a couple hundred ft/s from ballistic tables I've seen, so that puts the 300blk fired bullet at same (or higher?) velocity as 762x39, but at slightly higher weight.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
You'd guess. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd rather see some data
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#18]
.............I-------100yds-------I-------200yds-------I-------300yds-------I-------beyond 300yds------->
subsonic:---9mm better--- - - - 300 bo better--------- - -  -   -    -    -
fullpower:------------------5.56/6.5Grendel/6.8SPC better----------------------- - -  -   -    -     -

Subsonic applications inside 100yds 9mm has no peers in the price performance ratio. Beyond that 300 bo surpasses other subsonic calibers commonly found in ARs in performance and likely price/availability.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've debated buying them....do you have a review?  You talking about the black rounds from Noveske, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's why I use 110 varmageddon for my plinking round in 300blk.   I can reload them for around 30 cents a round and they still give me good performance if needed.  I use the barnes 110 for hd/hunting and have used hornady 125 sst in the past to take deer.  I just loaded up a bunch of 125 nosler bts and a few 125 speer tnt, which both look promising out of a 9 inch barrel.

I've debated buying them....do you have a review?  You talking about the black rounds from Noveske, right?

Yeah, it's the same bullet but I buy the normal 110 varmageddon  (not the black ones) and load them with h110.  The only thing I have tested the round on was a lvl 3 vest at 85 yards from a 16 inch barrel.  It punched the first panel and ended up in several pieces and stuck about half way through the second panel.  I think I was getting about 2370fps from my 16 inch gun and around 2145fps from my 9 inch gun.  I'll try to find my data later.  I have no doubt it would ruin a bad guys day within hd distances.  There are people who use them on deer and they do well.  I use the barnes bullet for deer just because I don't want a bunch of lead in my meat.
" />
I was able to cut out 106.3 grains worth of bullet from the vest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would too.  I know of few sources for ballistics based on barrel length.  We.. one.  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ , and they don't cover 762x39.

Curious thing, but it looks like 762x39 reloaders can use magnum pistol powder like 300blk, which would back up claims I've seen that sbr AKs work well.

For example, 762x39 can run 20-24.5 grains of IMR 4227; 300blk would use 16.5-18.5.  That suggests that 762x39 might be a better SBR round --sadly I haven't seen any modern projectiles loaded in 762x39 though.

Not that that disappoints me;  I'm running 300blk/.556 at 8.5", and will have a 762x39 as soon as the form1 clears...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Bring back the .44 AutoMag round.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my video.

If we did would it be better than an actual rifle round?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would too.  I know of few sources for ballistics based on barrel length.  We.. one.  http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/ , and they don't cover 762x39.

Curious thing, but it looks like 762x39 reloaders can use magnum pistol powder like 300blk, which would back up claims I've seen that sbr AKs work well.

For example, 762x39 can run 20-24.5 grains of IMR 4227; 300blk would use 16.5-18.5.  That suggests that 762x39 might be a better SBR round --sadly I haven't seen any modern projectiles loaded in 762x39 though.

Not that that disappoints me;  I'm running 300blk/.556 at 8.5", and will have a 762x39 as soon as the form1 clears...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/xEo6avZd9ys

https://youtu.be/6IvIpwDGa_s

https://youtu.be/_69-H4lvJBw

https://youtu.be/_Jn6GiiVrcM

All of these are either 0.310" or 0.311" projectiles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not my video.

Not even close, but it would only suck as much as modern pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

To sell more guns, and parts, and in the case of Robert Silvers and AAC, sell a bunch of suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ideals vs reality, my friend. The 300 blk acolytes exaggerate its performance and then people buy them and are disappointed.

Happiness = Reality - Expectation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never quite understood the hate for the 300BLK.  The argument of pistol versus carbine has always ragged over home defense.  Now you have a cartridge that will give 2x the power of a .40 out of a 8" barrel that uses powder very efficiently and has a capacity of 30 rounds.  I'm having a hard time seeing why folks crap all over the round...the only down side I see is cost, but if you catch a sale, it's not all THAT bad.

Ideals vs reality, my friend. The 300 blk acolytes exaggerate its performance and then people buy them and are disappointed.

Happiness = Reality - Expectation.

Never been disappointed in 300 blk. It's a subs / silencer caliber, and it's fucking awesome. Definitely one of my favorite guns to shoot, and if term perf is all that matters in your life, get some lehigh bullets. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Never been disappointed in 300 blk. It's a subs / silencer caliber, and it's fucking awesome. Definitely one of my favorite guns to shoot, and if term perf is all that matters in your life, get some lehigh bullets. Problem solved.
View Quote

I also don't think there's anything better out of an 6-8" barrel than .300BLK 110gr Barnes.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are informative...but table/charts like BBTI, for various lengths would be my preference; they give better comparisons.

like, from a  10" barrel, 10mm can meet or exceed 223....and at 6", 9mm can beat 223 loads... (Strong argument for very short ARs in pistol calibers; possibly 300blk/762x39, not that I've seen tests that short)

Practical info? probably not, but I find it fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Absolutely, but that's hard and I'm lazy. I just wanted to show that there are several modern bullets for 7.62x39mm
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

like, from a  10" barrel, 10mm can meet or exceed 223....and at 6", 9mm can beat 223 loads... (Strong argument for very short ARs in pistol calibers; possibly 300blk/762x39, not that I've seen tests that short)

Practical info? probably not, but I find it fascinating.
View Quote

Sure it's practical... that's why my 4.5" AR is in 9mm.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't seen any tests of Lehigh's stuff in .300 but it's pure bullshit in other calibers. There are several supersonic .300 loads that perform very well. Even if the Lehigh subsonic wasn't some gimmick bullshit, it's still just a subsonic round and stupid for anything but range lulz or possibly hunting.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top