Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 23
Next Page
11/27/2017 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quote History
Quoted:
Looks like the front pivot pin is about 5 bumps long and the rear takedown pin is just short of 4.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84655/20171127_173010-374576.JPG
View Quote
11/27/2017 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I am glad you guys cleaned these out. I was seriously considering more of them. Of course my "cheap" build ideas have already cost me more than I was thinking going into it, but hey, the lowers were only $20 each when I bought them, right?

The last shipment of accessories to complete my two should be here tomorrow, then I will post some pics and details.
11/27/2017 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to buy a box of the 1 1/2" inch Quick Release Clevis pins(#90156A263) from McMaster Carr and see if they work well or too long or what. Only $5.93 for a box of ten.
11/27/2017 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Front is 1 1/8", rear 7/8" in terms of "usable length" per McMaster:

Attached File
Attached File
Attached File
Attached File
11/27/2017 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The 1 1/8 is looking a little long in the rear, 1 1/4 would be awfully funny looking back there.

Anyone find a source for 7/8 and 1 1/8?

Attached File
11/27/2017 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Hum,  #90156A259 may work for the rear. I'll order both.
11/27/2017 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quote History
Quoted:
Just picked up one of the 16" complete uppers with a carry handle for $236 shipped.  I'll watch PSA for lower deals and pick one up before Christmas.  I guess I know what my son is getting for Christmas now.
I never dreamed a complete AR-15 for well under $350 would be possible.
View Quote
Freedom Munitions had a Bushmaster optics ready AR for 250 on black friday... I am working on a Anderson build ,29.99 lower (38 shipped) plus 15 for the transfer. Using cheaper parts and stuff, a complete rifle can be had for around 275 if you want a basic M4 style gun.
11/27/2017 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quote History
Quoted:

Freedom Munitions had a Bushmaster optics ready AR for 250 on black friday... I am working on a Anderson build ,29.99 lower (38 shipped) plus 15 for the transfer. Using cheaper parts and stuff, a complete rifle can be had for around 275 if you want a basic M4 style gun.
View Quote
They had a small amount of Bushmasters that they sold at a loss on purpose thinking it would generate sales on other items and then backfired massively.  I don't know ifI would really count that.
11/27/2017 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
Hum,  #90156A259 may work for the rear. I'll order both.
View Quote
I think it is going to be short as the 7/8 just barely makes it.

We could buy some 1/4 x 3/8 washers and try to space it out until the protrusion is the same on both sides.
11/27/2017 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I put in a quote request with a manufacturer for a minimum order batch of 250 each for 7/8" and 1-1/8" usable length pins, since they are nowhere to be found at the distributors.

I'll let you what pricing comes to. If it's somewhat reasonable, I'll order 250 of each and sell them to you guys cheap, keeping enough pins for myself.
11/27/2017 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If you order in bulk from Cav Mfg, the pricing is reasonable.  Just might have to wait a bit, as all those recent $20 lowers have brand new Cav Mfg pins in them.  
11/27/2017 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quote History
Quoted:

Freedom Munitions had a Bushmaster optics ready AR for 250 on black friday... I am working on a Anderson build ,29.99 lower (38 shipped) plus 15 for the transfer. Using cheaper parts and stuff, a complete rifle can be had for around 275 if you want a basic M4 style gun.
View Quote
Or did they??
11/27/2017 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
If you order in bulk from Cav Mfg, the pricing is reasonable.  Just might have to wait a bit, as all those recent $20 lowers have brand new Cav Mfg pins in them.  
View Quote
I don't see them listed in bulk on their site?  Only $10 per set.
11/28/2017 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody in the East Texas area that bought a couple to many blems could contact me for disposal.
11/28/2017 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quote History
Quoted:
If you order in bulk from Cav Mfg, the pricing is reasonable.  Just might have to wait a bit, as all those recent $20 lowers have brand new Cav Mfg pins in them.  
View Quote
I'm sure Trinity bought up all their inventory.

How "reasonable" are bulk pin prices from Cav? How many is considered "bulk"?

There are a bunch of people that need 8 sets of pins, would Cav Mfg call that a bulk order?

We'll see what the manufacturer quotes me for 250 of each pin, if they get back to me at all.
11/28/2017 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
3D Printer owners:

I drew up a stl file for a replacement butt pad. PM me your email address and I will send the .stl (217 kb) to you for T&E.
This will consume approximately 68¢ in plastic at 20% infill or $1.90 at 100%.

Everyone else: Bear with us while the beta testers work out the kinks. A full file will be uploaded when it is ready.

Edit: Here's an image.

11/28/2017 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quote History
Quoted:  Anybody in the East Texas area that bought a couple to many blems could contact me for disposal.
View Quote
If you're getting over to the D/FW area before Christmas, bring your stocking w/ you.
11/28/2017 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Jdude, you'll need a block on the top behind the top screw hole.  Will try to get a pic.

Attached File


Attached File


Attached File


Attached File


Attached File


ETA:  You may have already solved the issue w/ your design.
11/28/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]
So I'm totally late to this party. I'd love to build one of these since I've been looking for an A1 stock to build but the teacher salary (I know to go be poor somewhere else) just won't let me justify the cost. If anyone is in VA, bought a few extras, and would be willing to do a FTF on one of these for a decent price please PM me. I would greatly appreciate it.
11/29/2017 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
So I'm totally late to this party. I'd love to build one of these since I've been looking for an A1 stock to build but the teacher salary (I know to go be poor somewhere else) just won't let me justify the cost. If anyone is in VA, bought a few extras, and would be willing to do a FTF on one of these for a decent price please PM me. I would greatly appreciate it.
View Quote
Trade you one for that strike eagle you were busting my balls about in the team BF thread?
11/29/2017 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:

Trade you one for that strike eagle you were busting my balls about in the team BF thread?
View Quote
Well played sir, well played. I'll trade 2 of those bump fire things I printed for free for about 3 dozen board members for anyone willing to hook me up
11/29/2017 3:57:27 AM EDT
[#22]
https://knsprecisioninc.com/gun-parts-and-accessories/ar-15-parts/ar15-m16-push-button-pivot-takedown-pin-combo-set.html

I use the pivot pin version of this in one of my receivers, not sure if the rear works but it probably could be made to work by relieving material around the hole where the detent  bearings pop out
11/29/2017 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:
https://knsprecisioninc.com/gun-parts-and-accessories/ar-15-parts/ar15-m16-push-button-pivot-takedown-pin-combo-set.html

I use the pivot pin version of this in one of my receivers, not sure if the rear works but it probably could be made to work by relieving material around the hole where the detent  bearings pop out
View Quote
Those would probably work, I've used them in previous builds. For $35, I'll just buy the $10 pin sets from GWACS/Cav Mfg though.

My manufacturer inquiry was a bust, they don't stock the item domestically and would need a minimum order of 2500 pieces and a 4 month lead time from their factory in China.

I've reached out to Cav Mfg to ask about bulk pricing for pins/buttplates. I'd be extremely happy if they'd sell pin/buttplate sets for $10 if you bought 5+ or something like that.
11/29/2017 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#24]
For those still looking for an upper classic has this railed upper minus bc/ch for 150 shipped after code mydeal20.
$150 railed upper
11/30/2017 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#25]
385 bucks including transfer. All new parts.  Complete mid length kit from PSA (record fast shipping from Black Friday!). No issues except I have to get a roll pin for the buffer detent Attached File
11/30/2017 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Pics as promised. So much for going ultra cheap, but I still managed two complete rifles for about $850 total.

$52 for the two lowers - split $26 per rifle, then:

$250 for the railed Bear Creek complete upper from P.A.
$120 for the red dot from P.A.
$55 for the MBUS
Total of $451 for that one.

$300 complete PSA middy upper
$40 Troy rear sight from P.A.
$32 Magpul MOE SL handguards
Total of $398 for that one.

Most the stuff had free shipping, and the stuff that didn’t was part of orders for other things that weren’t part of this project. I had most the parts to finish the lowers.

Attached File
11/30/2017 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Use a paperclip for the time being, and I need to order a batch of roll pins from McMaster-Carr or Fastenall.  Took my MIL shooting this afternoon instead.  And got 4 more Christmas lowers out the door.

ETA:  All 3 of those builds look good.  I hope my 3 end up looking as nice.  Come on Stag!  I have a left-handed ejection port to cut w/ a Dremel.  
11/30/2017 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#28]
For those with "cracked" buffer tubes or mag wells, I am planning on buying some kydex sheet and some plastic adhesive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XR9WC8?tag=vglnk-c102-20&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EU5ZNO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

And cutting a rectangle to glue as a patch across the joint in front of the well or at the top of the buffer tube opening to bridge the gap and "patch" it.    The kydex is 0.028, and it looks like there is plenty of room for it above the buffer and spring.

I may even put a little patch in some of my "good" buffer tubes, as the very end is split slightly.
11/30/2017 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quote History
Quoted:
For those with "cracked" buffer tubes or mag wells, I am planning on buying some kydex sheet and some plastic adhesive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BR38ZS8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009EU5ZNO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

And cutting a rectangle to glue as a patch across the joint in front of the well or at the top of the buffer tube opening to bridge the gap and "patch" it.    The kydex is 0.028, and it looks like there is plenty of room for it above the buffer and spring.

I may even put a little patch in some of my "good" buffer tubes, as the very end is split slightly.
View Quote
@220

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/720869_saber-defense-branded-gwacs-lower-problem.html
11/30/2017 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I think a "clamp" could be made to glue either spot with some vice grips, a small metal or wooden square/rectangle and a layer of closed cell foam under it.  That should give a pretty solid repair I think.

I think a patch of the buffer tube should extend all the way to the edge. That way the buffer itself won't catch on the edge as it moves back. It may catch as it moves forward. I'll have to see.
11/30/2017 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The cracked buffer tubes are $5 lowers.  Slap that patch on the outside!
11/30/2017 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm thinking it's been a while since I played with fiberglass. We'll see if any of mine are cracked. I might have to get creative.
11/30/2017 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
The cracked buffer tubes are $5 lowers.  Slap that patch on the outside!
View Quote
You could do this easily. Heat the  Kydex and lay it over the stock and let it cool. Then it would be the perfect shape to glue.

You may be able to get away with laying it over the top and then heating it with a hairdryer as thin as it is.   I would assume the melting temperature of the Kydex is much lower than the nylon stock.

Wouldn't be as clean though...
11/30/2017 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll throw this out one more time but if anyone in VA has an extra or anyone willing to sell and ship to an FFL please let me know.
11/30/2017 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Will any of these work as the buffer detent pin?

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-piece-roll-pin-storehouse-67591.html
11/30/2017 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
All of my lowers are non-blems, but those with cracks may be overthinking the repair process.

Amazon Product
  • Heavy duty and double thick, Gorilla Tape offers over-the top results; It's like duct tape on steroids
  • Great for indoor or outdoor use and made to stick to Rough, uneven, unforgiving surfaces like wood, stone, stucco, plaster, brick and more
  • Double-Thick adhesive; grips smooth, Rough and uneven surfaces

11/30/2017 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:
Will any of these work as the buffer detent pin?

https://www.harborfreight.com/120-piece-roll-pin-storehouse-67591.html
View Quote
According to This 5/64 X 1. Looks like the harbor freight kit has it.
12/1/2017 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#38]
U can get kevlar fabric cheap.  Use that + epoxy and it will be rock solid
12/1/2017 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:  All of my lowers are non-blems, but those with cracks may be overthinking the repair process.

www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSS8UE
View Quote
Pssh.  Those of us w/ $5 lowers are looking for repairs cheaper than the lower itself.  

@220 has already done gone and used superglue instead of sending in his lower for repair.
12/1/2017 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quote History
Quoted:

According to This 5/64 X 1. Looks like the harbor freight kit has it.
View Quote
Thanks. Now I'll be set for 3 buffer detent roll pin failures
12/1/2017 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:

Pssh.  Those of us w/ $5 lowers are looking for repairs cheaper than the lower itself.  

@220 has already done gone and used superglue instead of sending in his lower for repair.
View Quote
Yeah the economics of paying a warranty claim and FFL fees would wreck the reasoning of why I bought these in the first place.

My repair, if it works, cost me at most 33 cents for the entire tube of super glue. Those little 3 packs for a buck come in handy.
12/1/2017 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I didn't think I would ever see uppers that cheap.
12/1/2017 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Still no response to 2 emails to Cav Mfg about bulk pin/buttplate sets.....

@backbencher - any chance you could have Trinity reach out to them? Maybe Trinity could stock buttplate/take down/pivot pin/buffer pin sets?
12/1/2017 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I think Trinity bought all the pins Cav Mfg had on hand.  Best to ask GWACS for pins at the moment, unless someone nails down the correct McMaster-Carr part number.

Pretty sure Trinity is done w/ the Cav Arms Mk 2 business, other than the lower I have to drop by to ship off for Mrs Maccrage.  Other than selling uppers and standard LPKs you can install, I don't think they're going to have any more to do with them.

ETA:  Speaking of Mrs Maccrage:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2056863_Striker-Approved-Mrs-Maccrage-s-Christmas-rifle.html
12/1/2017 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless you like pins that are too long and using washers (I don't), McMaster Carr doesn't have the right parts.

Flat head ball detent clevis pins - aka "cotterless" - aka "hitch pins" - aka "quick release" - don't seem to be readily available in 1/4" diameter and 7/8" or 1-1/8" lengths.
12/1/2017 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm planning on giving away most of my $5 lowers, so a clevis pin doesn't bother me.  If it bothers the recipient, they can spring $10 for the pins from GWACS.
12/1/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Are these the pins we're looking for?

Attached File


Attached File
12/1/2017 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quote History
Hmmm,  looks like they have 7/8s and 1 1/8th.
12/1/2017 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quote History
I don't think those have the spring balls
12/1/2017 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quote History
Quoted:
I don't think those have the spring balls
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
This. They don't have spring detents.

And if you're going to use standard clevis pins with a cotter retaining pin, you will need additional "usable length". If you have a good lower with the pins, look at how where the ball detent sits is recessed, especially on the takedown pin. Not sure you could fit a cotter pin into the recessed area. If you want to use a pin with a cotter pin, you'll need an extra 1/8" at least.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 23
Next Page