Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2023 1:18:35 PM EDT
My son bought a '64 Dodge and is planning on using it for his license test!  

Fuel tank had a leak and was too rusty to be salvageable.  Bought a MOPAR tank.  

Problem is, it seems as though the fuel filler pipe has too large of diameter.  Bought a new gasket, is there anything we can do?

Kicked around welding a smaller diameter pipe onto it but not sure if that thats the best .

Any ideas? or hints to get the damn thing in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a stub on the tank that attaches to the filler neck via a rubber grommet? Or does the filler tube go into the tank and seal via a rubber donut gasket that seats in the tank?
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a stub on the tank that attaches to the filler neck via a rubber grommet? Or does the filler tube go into the tank and seal via a rubber donut gasket that seats in the tank?
View Quote

That would be the second. Filler tube goes into the rubber gasket that is seated in the tank
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to wager you didn't get a Mopar tank.

Is it AMD? Or some Chinese no-name? The price will give it away. Some require new filter tubes to preclude the use of now disco'd leaded fuel (smaller fillers prevented using leaded gas in newer vehicles)

My Dart has a single pipe that goes from fender to tank, and just fits in a rubber grommet. Fit was snug, pipe was fancy and had baffles in it so no sloshysloshy and trail of fire from the crime scene. The fit has to be close. Leaks are bad and the tank isn't rigidly mounted.

Does yours fill from the fender or behind license plate? Being a wagon, I don't have much experience with them
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I was out in the road when my son took the old gas tank off and bought a new one this is what he got:

https://www.moparpro.com/gas-tank-1960-1964-station-wagons-plymouth-dodge-desoto-chrysler/p1560

Maybe it's just an amazingly tight fit. I don't want him to frack it up. Hard for a 15 year old to purchase a car and then this $600 tank. Although it's a good lesson
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The pics of the car are not loading.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
so does the filler tube fit in the gas tank hole without the gasket?
if so then it may be just a tight fit on purpose.
the sedan filled behind the license plate, I am guessing it is a side fill for the wagon.
I owned the 4dr sedan in the 90's.
you should install the gasket first in the tank, then oil the filler tube and push it in.

IF on the other hand the pipe doesn't fit without the gasket, then you should look into finding a replacement filler tube from the place that sold you the tank.
I am guessing it is speced for a different car, as the 880 wasn't the top sold model.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a different gasket for wagons.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

that is interesting.
some places show it, some places don't.
except station wagon.
steele rubber doesn't say that.
van's does say it.

however, no one seems to list one for c body wagons. except the 880 technically is pre c-body, so you might get away with
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/dart/parts/mf295.html
which says for wagons. but b and a bodies.
not sure if it would be different.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]
He might have to replace the filler neck with one from the tank company as well.  Kind of a “gotcha” thing some remanufactures do.  
SN95 Mustangs have a similar setup.  I’ve had to grease the crap out of them when they’re new.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#12]
C'mon OP, no pics?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Ost.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Call the company he bought it from and ask them why doesn't it just fit or what needs to be done to make it fit. Don't suggest things to them, let them tell you or you may end up being sold stuff you don't need.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

that is interesting.
except station wagon.
van's does say it.

however, no one seems to list one for c body wagons. except the 880 technically is pre c-body, so you might get away with
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is interesting.
except station wagon.
van's does say it.

There is that one, squared off ends and the other one, which has rounded ends. I can dig around but I did have both in my spare parts box that I can get measurements from.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks all.  Sorry for the slow update.  Just got back from the road and found out he and a friend welded a smaller diameter pipe onto the filler tube, well now, stub.    Looked at it and seems to be a tight fit so thats all good.

Yes, I know there were different station wagon body types and different gaskets.  I was able to find one on ebay, that said it was for the C style, but it didnt fit the pipe either.  SO not sure what all went on, but everything looks squared away now.  

I'd post pictures, but I dont have a imagure account.  Is there another way?

Muchass grassy ass for all the suggestions and help.

ETA: think I have the pohotos

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad you have it figured out. That's a cool first car for a kid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top