Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:51:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang, the comments section is really refreshing. I expected a lot of support for this guy, none so far that I've read.

"But claiming victimhood is the necessary prologue to complaint-based and identity-based progressivism

It often doesn't hold up to scrutiny, but that doesn't seem to matter to its proponents."
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who gets a PHD in education? Fucking moron.
View Quote

Educators who want to move up the food chain
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
-Racked up a shitload of debt going to school through irresponsible borrowing
-Decided that an area with relatively cheap CoL's whiteness sickatated him
-Moved to some of the most expensive shitholes in the country
-Used retirement funds to pay for a wedding
-Suddenly couldn't pay on the loan when he got married
-Had another kid
-Ended up in the biggest swampy shithole in the country
-Cashes out the rest of the retirement
-Complains about lot in life.

Yep, sounds like just about every entitled fuckwad ever. Apparently smart enough to get a PhD, not smart enough to read contracts or do math.
View Quote

You forgot about home not checking on his wife’s financial situation BEFORE getting married.  He also mentions that the twins are his wife’s, ergo, from another marriage.  Now he is paying for them.  Is the father paying child support?  If not that guy is a chump.  

Yes, LOTS of poor decisions in that one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and, at the end of the day, still make dick in all but a few places.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lots of bad decisions in that article.
View Quote
But.......his hair!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And people wonder why demographically speaking, educated White Americans aren't exploding in population.

The US Government should institute a Paid Parental Leave Programs for Middle Class Families so they have more kids instead of lower economic brackets pumping out kids and being raised on by the tax payer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kids aren't cheap, so plausible, but more likely just exaggerated.  If he makes the minimum payment, it will be paid off no problem. Rates are high, college is expensive, and the two together makes for two well ran businesses that co-exist.  $125k isn't a lot to support a family in most suburban areas.

Most importantly, don't have kids until you can afford them.
And people wonder why demographically speaking, educated White Americans aren't exploding in population.

The US Government should institute a Paid Parental Leave Programs for Middle Class Families so they have more kids instead of lower economic brackets pumping out kids and being raised on by the tax payer.

Or you know, we could stop rewarding the opposite end of the spectrum with welfare.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
$125k in DC area is fucking nothing. The article said household income of $125k, not his alone. Rent at $1700 I totally get here, it’s awful.

$125,000 a year in DC is going to boil down to like $7k a month post tax. $7k a month in DC isn’t really a lot.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#8]
He doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.  The big lie of the last 30-40 years is that you just have to send people to college and they will magically have better lives.  The truth is that colleges were a sorting mechanism for smarter folks.  As we've reduced standards the result is people who have no business in higher education getting doctorates in basketweaving and being saddled with debt when the guy in this story would have been far better off just working or going to a vocational school instead of college.
I was still working. Halfway through, I reached the point where I was really, really done with Nebraska. I was always in PWIs [predominantly white institutions]. At first you don't really recognize that stuff, but then people say things like, "You don't have any hair." No, I have a fade. But they don't know what a fade is.
View Quote
Who doesn't know what a fade is?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I call these people "professional students"

I once get a resume from a recruiter for an entry-level position where the applicant had...no shit...5 degrees.  She was working a shitty job as a lab technician.  Needless to say her resume went into the garbage like 99% of other professional students.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#10]
maybe it's just my age but i genuinely don't give a fuck about anyone or their issues anymore
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Government loves a PhD in all fields not just education . Take a look at USA jobs sometime if you do not think this is the case.  

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Every time I read one of these college debt stories I'm struck by the abject refusal of the subjects to  accept any personal responsibility for their circumstance.  Every. Single. One.
View Quote

It is like having a micro-nation within the USA, in which people from the micro-nation are aliens who do not share our thought processes at all.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is my favorite,

"I haven't been able to find opportunities that would equate to what this doctorate's supposed to be about."

Let me guess, he and slate believe he should be forgiven and debt placed on our shoulders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of bad decisions in that article.
This is my favorite,

"I haven't been able to find opportunities that would equate to what this doctorate's supposed to be about."

Let me guess, he and slate believe he should be forgiven and debt placed on our shoulders.

He don't like messin' with mice, man.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I don’t care.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
That’s bullshit.

I had ~ $140k in student loan debt and make way less than $125k a year.

11 years after graduating I’ve paid all but the last $18k off, while buying a home and raising 3 kids.

This shits out of control.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The stupid it burns.

"I started the doctorate, and I wasn't paying attention to the cost of it at all. I was still working. Halfway through, I reached the point where I was really, really done with Nebraska. I was always in PWIs [predominantly white institutions]. At first you don't really recognize that stuff, but then people say things like, "You don't have any hair." No, I have a fade. But they don't know what a fade is."

"I had to take out a loan from my retirement in order to pay for our wedding"
View Quote
Fuck him and his problems!
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Good, stupid should hurt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nah..

I like my retired at 46 and never got a college degree plan, did hold a sweet C average in high school though

View Quote
I retire at 44, have three degrees and most all of it was paid for
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah..
I like my retired at 46 and never got a college degree plan, did hold a sweet C average in high school though

Lifers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lifers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah..

Lifers.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
The real problem here is that we give loans to stupid people and that results in increased costs for all of us as colleges/universities add diversity directors and other "fluff" bloat because the market is unnaturally stimulated by these loans.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Should have learned a trade and made the $125K with no student debt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Household income is 165k/year but he can't afford $400 for student loans? Somehow, it's the college's fault (because the college he decided to attend was predominately white). He doesn't want to work in jobs related to his (online) degree. He doesn't understand interest and less than 100k is now over 160k. He married a lady he doesn't know well, and had several kids with her. He claims people in his school didn't know what a fade was, and that somehow made the school worse. He thought taking money out of retirement was OK for wedding expenses. He took the rest of his retirement out to "look" for a house which he didn't buy.

It's someone else's fault. Meanwhile, I am paying 4k/mo in student loans to avoid interest and my fiancé (who can't even do her taxes or fill a tire with air) grasped the ability to pay off loans ASAP and keep a credit score over 800.

Aspects and Assumptions of Whiteness, right?
View Quote

Well they didn't teach him any math.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most importantly, don't have kids until you can afford them.
View Quote

Then the housing projects would all be empty............  
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Not a doctorate in finance.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I know it's the Internet and everyone makes mistakes, but a PhD wrote this before submitting an article to be published (and no editors corrected it):

"I didn’t have a computer or nothing like that."?

I would be far more understanding if they wrote it in a forum or an email.  The article did say they were interviews, so maybe they just said that and it was transcribed.  It reminds me of a guy I worked with who graded papers for a professor and he claimed a grad student once wrote in a paper "I take it for granite..."  I like to think it was a geologist having a good time, but that's probably just wishful thinking in a vain effort to maintain faith in humanity.  :D
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Proof that you don't have to be smart to get your Doctorate.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Government loves a PhD in all fields not just education . Take a look at USA jobs sometime if you do not think this is the case.  

View Quote

There are ways around this by starting lower and moving up through the ranks.  Trumps Executive Order will have fixed this in about 4-6 months.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Household income is 165k/year but he can't afford $400 for student loans? Somehow, it's the college's fault (because the college he decided to attend was predominately white). He doesn't want to work in jobs related to his (online) degree. He doesn't understand interest and less than 100k is now over 160k. He married a lady he doesn't know well, and had several kids with her. He claims people in his school didn't know what a fade was, and that somehow made the school worse. He thought taking money out of retirement was OK for wedding expenses. He took the rest of his retirement out to "look" for a house which he didn't buy.

It's someone else's fault. Meanwhile, I am paying 4k/mo in student loans to avoid interest and my fiancé (who can't even do her taxes or fill a tire with air) grasped the ability to pay off loans ASAP and keep a credit score over 800.

View Quote

His take-home is approximately $6800.00/month, so his claim that he can't afford his student loans is bogus. He wants to "live rich" and not worry about his debts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I call these people "professional students"

I once get a resume from a recruiter for an entry-level position where the applicant had...no shit...5 degrees.  She was working a shitty job as a lab technician.  Needless to say her resume went into the garbage like 99% of other professional students.
View Quote

It depends. My daughter had taken a few extra classes because she was ahead for graduating at her CC, which allowed the school to award 4 separate AA degrees.  When she finishes her bachelors, she’ll have at least 5, maybe 6 degrees. She’ll graduate at 22 with less than 10k in school debt.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

...and, at the end of the day, still make dick in all but a few places.
View Quote

I'd recommend looking at the pay of your area school districts administrative staff and superintendents. There's money to be made.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

His take-home is approximately $6800.00/month, so his claim that he can't afford his student loans is bogus. He wants to "live rich" and not worry about his debts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever notice that all the ''can't pay my student loan'' types never major in finance or accounting?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not a doctorate in finance.
View Quote

Or a single class on personal finance or 10 minutes of you tube videos about it
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#36]
With the ridiculous cost of college today, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they get a scholarship, have the cash to pay it every semester  or go through the G.I. Bill.

I'm trying to talk my stepson into becoming a plumber.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
With the ridiculous cost of college today, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they get a scholarship, have the cash to pay it every semester  or go through the G.I. Bill.

View Quote

I’ve heard you can make real good money. But it’s a shitty job.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I’ve heard you can make real good money. But it’s a shitty job.
View Quote

Lol. And never chew your nails. Electrician would be another option. He's only 10 but I'm trying to prep him for the real world.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is (probably) the way.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#40]
So $163k in debt and makes $125k a year?

Haha laughs in debt free electrician.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

For sure.

400 a month is hilariously affordable for someone making 165K a year. Its called a fucking budget. People can't make budgets, and it shows.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
$1700 a month in rent.  Double that for food, utilities, insurance, etc.  Let's call it an even $3500 a month living expenses.  Throw in another $2500 for cars, extracurriculars, etc.  $6k a month.  He's making $125k a year.  With being married and 3 kids, he should expect to pay about $10k in taxes.  So he's bringing home a little over $9k a month after tax.

Where the fuck is all his money going?
View Quote

EXACTLY!!!

He must have some crazy weed habit that he keeps from his wife.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For sure.

400 a month is hilariously affordable for someone making 165K a year. Its called a fucking budget. People can't make budgets, and it shows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure.

But this dumb ass has a lifelong history of making bad/poor decisions. Poor decisions make one poor no matter your income.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Between my wife and i we had 200k in college debt and we payed it off in 2 years after college...along with a wedding.

Cry me a fucking river commie
View Quote

@drugmanrx

Our of curiosity (and I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious), y'all paid off, say $220,000-ish in two years.  That's a little over $9,000 a month on average.  What did y'all study where you earned enough right out of college to pay, after taxes and living expenses, $9,000 a month towards student loans?

Pharmacy (going by username checking out here) pays that well?

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@drugmanrx

Our of curiosity (and I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious), y'all paid off, say $220,000-ish in two years.  That's a little over $9,000 a month on average.  What did y'all study where you earned enough right out of college to pay, after taxes and living expenses, $9,000 a month towards student loans?

View Quote

My wife is a pharmacist too. We got huge sign on bonuses. We both drove the same cars we had since we were in high school and rented a place that was less expensive then when we were in school. I was averaging 60 hours working a week. A few weeks i had over 80. This was back when there was a pharmacist shortage
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My wife is a pharmacist too. We got huge sign on bonuses. We both drove the same cars we had since we were in high school and rented a place that was less expensive then when we were in school. I was averaging 60 hours working a week. A few weeks i had over 80. This was back when there was a pharmacist shortage
View Quote

That's really cool.  Looks like y'all busted asses to make it happen.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Here is the dude's LinkedIn page...

A lot of college this, university that.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@drugmanrx

all that whyteness

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Though I didn't owe 160+, I did owe over 100k, and make about that. I paid off my loan in about 6 years.

So I don't see why they can't do it in 10-15
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did, but that is because, when I was doing my Doctorate, there was no PhD in my (Technology) field.  I already had a MS.  (And in case you are wondering, all of my multiple Masters degrees are in Business or Technology areas).
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top