Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2021 2:27:02 AM EDT
Seeing as how there is still plenty of 12 gauge birdshot on the shelf, is the Hatfield a decent gun or a piece of potmetal shit?
Have been looking on and off for a little bit now for an old H&R or Stevens for cheap, but no dice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Seeing as how there is still plenty of 12 gauge birdshot on the shelf.
View Quote

your area still has 12 GA? a lot of folks haven’t seen 12 gauge anything for several weeks now. you should have bought all of the 12 ga shells before debating the gun purchase. by the time you go back there won’t be anything except 28 gauge on the shelf
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

your area still has 12 GA? a lot of folks haven’t seen 12 gauge anything for several weeks now. you should have bought all of the 12 ga shells before debating the gun purchase. by the time you go back there won’t be anything except 28 gauge on the shelf
View Quote

One store still has 12 gauge #7 1/2 and #8 shot in both target and high brass  Winchester and Real Estate brand.
Been trying to buy at least 100 rounds a week.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

My local Walmart still has a good amount of 12ga target loads, 100 for $22. I buy 500 each time I go in there. Mine also sells boxes of clays, 90 for $6.97.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I wanna get one.....Im balls deep in 12 gauge ammo, between buckshot, and slugs, I could probably pay of my house if I dumped it all right now, last 6 years I bought everything in sight, but what I do want is a chopped stock sawed off break action 12 gauge In a ziplock bag buried in my woods for social SHTF reasons...
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw that yesterday. Isn't it only a single shot?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Neat guns. IIRC they're a copy of an old Beretta design. And if you hate Walmart like so many other GDers, the same gun is available elsewhere under different names. ATI offers a version with a silver receiver. No idea if Theisens stores are in your area(basically another version of Tractor Supply), but here they have the ATI version, usually $120 or $140, with frequent $99 sales.

They're not as nice/good of guns as the H&R's that used to be $79 new, but they're available.

ETA-they're hot sellers in my area, and I haven't seen a used one for sale yet, so buyers must like them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the 410 and I’ve never had any issues with it
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

We have Atwood’s in my AO. Plenty of bird loads and a smattering of buckshot and slugs once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Why support Walmart?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Neat guns. IIRC they're a copy of an old Beretta design. And if you hate Walmart like so many other GDers, the same gun is available elsewhere under different names. ATI offers a version with a silver receiver. No idea if Theisens stores are in your area(basically another version of Tractor Supply), but here they have the ATI version, usually $120 or $140, with frequent $99 sales.

They're not as nice/good of guns as the H&R's that used to be $79 new, but they're available.

ETA-they're hot sellers in my area, and I haven't seen a used one for sale yet, so buyers must like them.
View Quote

I imagine lots of folks who aren’t into guns buying them and a box of shells. Just in case. Doubt it’s ever worth it to sell
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Named after a family in WV......How good could they be? I hear that the economy model is named after the Whites.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one in 20 ga.  They are "okay".  Bare bones minimal.  Absolutely no choke, just a straight walled cylinder chamber to muzzle.  Hey, Walmart probably pays $35 for these.

The hammer spring is intense.  It takes a fair bit of hand strength to operate, more than is really required.  this isn't a firearm that would be idea for women and kids if only because of this.  And the trigger pull is fairly tough as a result too.  Again, its not a $2000 precision rifle, its a cheap assed shotgun.  You can make substantial improvements by simply backing off some of the tension on the main spring.  Its dead simple, and make dramatic improvements...

Would I buy mine again?  Probably not, but only because I have subsequently found a little kids 20 ga H&R single I like better....

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the Hatfield a decent gun or a piece of potmetal shit? . .  
View Quote

Is this a serious question?

Really? . . . what do you think?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, I’d honestly say buy any other 12 gauge than one of those things.  My dad was intrigued with it for the same reason you suggest and bought one.  I kid you not, the trigger pull must be close to 25 lbs.  Very easy to pull your point of aim off just trying to get it to fire.  Maybe he just got a bad one. But I’d at least ask to dry fire it before you buy it if you have one in hand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought one in .410.

Very cool little gun for the money. I would grab a 12 gauge version if I saw it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:04:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Man, I’d honestly say buy any other 12 gauge than one of those things.  My dad was intrigued with it for the same reason you suggest and bought one.  I kid you not, the trigger pull must be close to 25 lbs.  Very easy to pull your point of aim off just trying to get it to fire.  Maybe he just got a bad one. But I’d at least ask to dry fire it before you buy it if you have one in hand.
View Quote

Can't be that hard to polish the trigger.

I've done it multiple times on NEF guns, a little bit goes a long way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I imagine lots of folks who aren’t into guns buying them and a box of shells. Just in case. Doubt it’s ever worth it to sell
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just figured someone would have bought one to go hunting, got fed up when they didn't get anything and sold it after hunting season to get money for cigarettes. I've never seen a used one.

I can't imagine EVERYONE who's buying $100 shotguns are shooters who have plenty of nice guns and just want a cheapie because it's there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Named after a family in WV......How good could they be? I hear that the economy model is named after the Whites.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I know nothing about them. But it looks like something I would play with if I didn't have two Savage model 24s
It's a hundred dollars. If you are gainfully employed it shouldn't set you back to far.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#21]
They used good materials and made it correctly, but decided to not make any profit on this one?   That is what you are hoping to learn?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I know they’re well known for importing from Turkey, but the founder sounds like quite a character:

https://www.inc.com/magazine/19901001/5391.html

Wiping grease off his hands with a rag and taking the reporter for burgers and beer is my kind of exec.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know they’re well known for importing from Turkey, but the founder sounds like quite a character:

https://www.inc.com/magazine/19901001/5391.html

Wiping grease off his hands with a rag and taking the reporter for burgers and beer is my kind of exec.
View Quote

That was a pretty cool article.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Take the $100 you'd spend on that, sell 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm ammo, and buy a Savage/Stevens 301

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take the $100 you'd spend on that, sell 2 or 3 boxes of 9mm ammo, and buy a Savage/Stevens 301

View Quote

If you're going to double the money on it, might as well just go for a cheap pump action at that point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd check the pawn shops for a H&R. You could probably find a used one for the same money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know nothing about them. But it looks like something I would play with if I didn't have two Savage model 24s
It's a hundred dollars. If you are gainfully employed it shouldn't set you back to far.
View Quote

What caliber/gauge?
24's are my weakness.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I just figured someone would have bought one to go hunting, got fed up when they didn't get anything and sold it after hunting season to get money for cigarettes. I've never seen a used one.

I can't imagine EVERYONE who's buying $100 shotguns are shooters who have plenty of nice guns and just want a cheapie because it's there.
View Quote

Huh.  I've always figured them to be in a barn, on a boat, behind the seat of the farm truck, mounted on the tractor somewhere, etc.   Maybe tucked back in someone's closet - "gun is like a fire extinguisher, better to have SOMETHING than nothing".  Most probably have 2 or 3 rounds per year through them, if that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What caliber/gauge?
24's are my weakness.
View Quote

Both 22lr/20ga. Ones a Camper model and one is a full sized series S. If I I was at home I'd post pics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you're going to double the money on it, might as well just go for a cheap pump action at that point.
View Quote

Cheap/pump in today’s climate does not compute.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#31]
@boatsank
Same here, out of town.
Have a. 22/.410, .22mag./20 ga, and .357/20 ga.
Sold a .30-30/12 ga. years ago,  still kicking myself for that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#32]
A Walmart close to me has/had a Maverick 88 for $188. I'm thinking about FO'ing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$100 Walmart Hatfield 12 gauge single shot. Is it a good gun?
View Quote
It's a hundred-dollar gun from Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I saw that yesterday. Isn't it only a single shot?
View Quote

Well, seeing as how the OP described it as a single shot in the thread title, I'd say it was a single shot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A Walmart close to me has/had a Maverick 88 for $188. I'm thinking about FO'ing.
View Quote

I'm surprised that's not already sold.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, plus I thought Walmart quit selling guns months ago?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why support Walmart?
View Quote

To support President Xi and Biden/Harris.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'd check the pawn shops for a H&R. You could probably find a used one for the same money.
View Quote

Odd thing, I've not seen a H&R 12 ga Topper for much under $175.00 of late....Smaller bores are even more. I saw a .410 sell for $325.00.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had one several months ago. I went to go look for someone to help, found some lady who said she'd send for someone. I made my way back and there was already a couple there with the guy who works in sports and he was buying it.

They just barely got it back in. For some reason shotguns sit at this Walmart. It's the Hunting rifles that fly off the shelves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top