Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 9:51:33 PM EDT
I have been using an old 80s/90’s model 28” 870 express my dad gave me.  Its cheap, gives some extraction trouble, some feeding trouble I can fix, and is rather heavy.  I have a very heavy extension (9 total) on in that might be steel instead of aluminum.  The chokes don’t appear centered in the bore either.  I have never patterned it though.

Should I hop up the 870 with a Nordic tube, match saver, and open the loading port?
Should I rebarrel it to 24”
Or should I just buy a Mossberg 500/590/etc and burn up the credit card and dremel?  I don’t mind starting from scratch.  A lightweight pump that is fast to cycle is desirable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#1]
First shot HM with a Winchester 1300 defender. Cylinder bore. I then found an old Win 1200 at a pawn shot then put a 20" barrel with changeable chokes on it and use that for awhile.

That old Win 1200 was so fast to pump because it was well worn in.

If you want to get fancy with the latest in pumps look at Benelli. Patrick Kelley shot a Winchester for a long time then went to Benelli.

You wont be quad loading. Load two is about the best you can do consistently. Also pumps don't have a lot of meat around the load port to allow them to be opened up at all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Willz:
First shot HM with a Winchester 1300 defender. Cylinder bore. I then found an old Win 1200 at a pawn shot then put a 20" barrel with changeable chokes on it and use that for awhile.

That old Win 1200 was so fast to pump because it was well worn in.

If you want to get fancy with the latest in pumps look at Benelli. Patrick Kelley shot a Winchester for a long time then went to Benelli.

You wont be quad loading. Load two is about the best you can do consistently. Also pumps don't have a lot of meat around the load port to allow them to be opened up at all.
View Quote
Those Benellis are expensive and still weigh 8lbs.  What advantage do they offer?.

I'm guessing I only want a 3" model for the shorter pump and that 3.5" is a waste of energy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The Benelli pumps are in the same price range as any other well known brand of pump. Benelli doesn't make junk.

I can't tell you the difference between them and my Winchesters. I've never shot a Benelli pump.
When I bought a Benelli I went for the M2 and had TTI give it the works.

I just know if you want to be competitive you need to shoot what the top competitors use. That being said, most 3 gun shooters will tell you to just run what you have until the equipment is the limiting factor.

I went the opposite way, I bought the best I could afford so the only excuse I have for sucking at a match is my own lack of practice and skill. I can't blame my equipment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't agree that load 2 is the only option. As long as I spend a few minutes every other night practicing loads, I can reliably quad load my 870 (i've got medium hands, so hanging onto the shells is the hardest part). I run a 28" 870 with a Nordic 9-shot extension and matchsaver. I've also been considering a MatchBerner if they make it for the 870 someday.

I do get some jamming issues (fte's) and I've been considering polishing the chamber, but I simply haven't yet. Otherwise, it runs like a top.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a call out...

I'd like to see anyone consistently quad load an 870.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying it's a struggle and doing it consistently would require some mods I've never seen on an 870.

Lack of a large port size. Fore end interference etc. it's just not ideal for consistent, smooth loading of quads.
Dueces no problem.

Empty gun, "shooter ready!" "Standby!" ...beeep.

Load 12 shells, all in quads,no fumbles. I want to see it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Call a spade a spade. That's a callout. I dont mind it, but dont pretend it's anything else lol. I'm out of state right now but i'll make your video when I get back. In the meantime, a quick youtube search reveals it IS indeed possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5luwfkxw4M
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought a $200 870 that I'm going to mod out with my local gunsmith. Not a ton of info out on this subject. I just started a thread in this category to ask for pics and mods others have done if you want to tune in.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I just put together an 870 for competition and made a detailed thread. The thread is in the same category as this. (Competition Shooting>>Shotgun)
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, really old thread!  

The Benelli wins due to the really big loading port and the lifter that stays up.  Give it the Arvid grind you're ready to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top