Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2015 11:07:58 PM EDT
Okay so I was buying a new gun and the attendant and I were talking when he started mentioning 3 gun competitions. It sparked my interest and after doing some looking around and reading the rules and how the matches work I really want to get into this. I would like some help trying to determine what gear to bring at first, I won't be buying any of this as its all stuff I already own.

First off I'm a 20 year old guy in decent shape and I'm very used to using guns, particularly ones of higher caliber. I tend to use 7.61 and .45 acp most of the time so recoil control should be easy with a 5.56. As far as non-gun gear I have a a full set of 5/11 tactical gear that I can add or remove components to as needed to optimize it for 3-gun, currently has a 4 mag holder for my rifle, 4 mag holder for my hand gun, a general compartment for stuff like first aid and grenades, a drop down bag for used mags and my pistol holster. I have a bunch of other things floating around that I can add or remove as needed. Pants and shirt are Crye tactical muticam. I have a 5/11 belt and boots are Meindel Perfeks.

Anyway the main thing I'm struggling with is picking the guns, I will list what I have available to use that I feel could be suitable for 3 gun use and any extras that are on the guns. I intend to do the limited or tactical brackets. I marked my personal favorite guns from a NON 3 gun perspective.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifles: SCAR-L, geissele trigger, magpul angled grip, magpul pistol grip, red dot, rubber rail inserts, trifecta omega brake. SCAR-H, geissele trigger, magpul angled grip, magpul pistol grip, USMC 4x ACOG, rubber rail inserts, trifecta omega brake (favorite rifle, shoots .5 MOA) Armalite M15 National match, fully stock. LWRC M6IC-SPR 5.56, geissele trigger, vortex 1-4x illuminated optic, SCAR-L brake. M1A1, archangel stock, leupold 16x scope, match trigger (would only use if considering heavy metal)  

Handguns: HK Tactical .45, tritium night sights. HK tactical 9mm, tritium night sights. HK compact .45, tritium night sights. HK compact 9mm, tritium night sights. HK VP9, tritium night sights. Wilson combat supergrade tactical .45, tritium night sights. Wilson combat Will Wilson carry (favorite gun, very good with it and have fired over 3k times. In short this thing is an extension of my arm), full stock. Glock 17, tritium night sights (I hate this gun though, can't hit anything with it). Sig P228, tritium night sights. FN 5.7, fully stock

Shotguns: none aside from trap guns and really fancy guns, I will be using a stock 20 inch Remington 870 for this part........yeah I know I'm screwed lol!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Number one, have a holster that secures your pistol.  I use a Safariland 6004, but any decent holster will do.  I cannot count the amount of times, I've seen people DQ when their plastic holster broke in half and dumped the pistol on the ground or the holster went flying, actually I can, six times.  Roll on the ground a couple of times with your gear on and if it stays put, then you're good to go.  And you don't really need that much gear, I hang a two slot pistol mag holder, shotshell pouch from cheaper than dirt that holds 12 rounds, surplus M4 mag pouch at my back  and my holster on a riggers belt with my holster and call it good.

My ejected mags just stay on the ground until I'm done with the stage.

It's the Indian, not the arrow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not spend any $$$ right now. Pick whichever rifle, pistol and repeating shotgun you shoot best, and go shoot a couple of matches. Stuff the mags and shotshells in your pockets to start. Observe and ask what others are using at the matches near you. When you get some experience and talk with more experienced competitors, you will quickly figure out what works and what does not.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Go watch and help reset's for your first match.

Don't buy a SG at first, try a couple out then make that decision.

Sarfiland ALS holster is a must!

1 simple kydex ar and pistol mag pouch is all that's needed to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top