Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2019 8:05:30 PM EDT
If my only shotgun is a home defense version (12 gauge, 20” barrel, and a fixed cylinder choke), how much of a disadvantage would iI have if I used it for skeet or trap or sporting clays?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll still have fun but you'll look like a dope.

Trust me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What the other guy said. You could shoot skeet with it. You might get partial hits, but you will be at a disadvantage. If you already own it, it won't hurt to try and shoot a round, but I wouldn't buy a self defense shotgun and use it for skeet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Most clubs I have been to would not allow it based on the length, 26" I think is often the min allowed.  For the backyard with some buddies, they will prob hit more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ebone:
Most clubs I have been to would not allow it based on the length, 26" I think is often the min allowed.  For the backyard with some buddies, they will prob hit more.
View Quote
Austin Skeet club has that rule.   I guess I "cheated" by using my 24" Benelli Nova, but it has a conventional hunting stock and vent rib barrel with chokes so I guess they didn't feel the need to apply the measuring tape to catch me...

I did sneak in a round with Peter the Beater...  A Old Rem 870 Police Magnum parkerized & bead sighted.   I shot pretty well, but on the longer going away shots, the pattern was thin and hole-y at distance.

What kind of shotgun do you have?  You can find bird barrels for Mossberg 500s & Rem 870s easy and affordable, which will be good for hunting & "target sports"
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JPK] [#5]
Cylinder is fine for skeet. From the post which the birds fly over to shooting positions is 21yds for all but two stations, and they are closer.

95% of shooters use too much choke. Cylinder is good for many more situations than most think. Smoking clays is fun, but a smoked clay scores the same as one with a chip broken off.

Try skeet and sporting clays with your gun, if you like it get a 28” barrel with choke tubes.

Cylinder would be a huge handicap in trap. 1/4 choke or light modified would be much better at the beginner stations. But trap is an anti social game and not much fun, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JPK:
Cylinder is fine for skeet. From the post which the birds fly over to shooting positions is 21yds for all but two stations, and they are closer.

95% of shooters use too much choke. Cylinder is good for many more situations than most think. Smoking clays is fun, but a smoked clay scores the same as one with a chip broken off.

Try skeet and sporting clays with your gun, if you like it get a 28" barrel with choke tubes.

Cylinder would be a huge handicap in trap. 1/4 choke or light modified would be much better at the beginner stations. But trap is an anti social game and not much fun, IMO.
View Quote
I guess that explains why I love shooting trap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Try skeet and sporting clays with your gun, if you like it get a 28” barrel with choke tubes.

View Quote
I had a few co workers at a company shoot show up and insist on using Modified choke tubes because "That's what they use when they hunt"...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
OP you can, it's not the best for it for some of the mentioned reasons, but also because the shorter barrel doesn't give much in the way of weight for the different styles of hitting clays (swing through, constant/maintained lead) where the extra length of the barrel adds momentum and smooths things out, as well as a much longer sight radius.

But it's good practice still.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
OP you can, it's not the best for it for some of the mentioned reasons, but also because the shorter barrel doesn't give much in the way of weight for the different styles of hitting clays (swing through, constant/maintained lead) where the extra length of the barrel adds momentum and smooths things out, as well as a much longer sight radius.

But it's good practice still.
View Quote
The most important thing you can do to improve your shotgun wing shooting it to practice your SWING THROUGH the target when you fire.

Don't stop the barrel swing or you'll end up behind the target 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]

But trap is an anti social game and not much fun, IMO.
View Quote
Lol, I wasn't going to be the one to say it haha
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
As an aside, I've often wondered what the shotgun games have to teach combat riflemen.

So much emphasis is placed on shotgun fit and balance, that seems to be disregarded in the rifle world.

Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Madcap72] [#12]
Originally Posted By feudist:
As an aside, I've often wondered what the shotgun games have to teach combat riflemen.

So much emphasis is placed on shotgun fit and balance, that seems to be disregarded in the rifle world.

View Quote
Very, very little.

The fit and balance of shotguns for trap and skeet are about as opposite as you would ever want for a rifle that needs to be shouldered and fired quickly, and switch targets fast.

The velocity of rifle rounds is SO much faster than shotguns that training to lead with a shotgun would instill bad habits for leading with a rifle (too much).

Even the safety and handling is different.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice fellas.  Bigger_Hammer, I have a Browning BPS.  It’s the limited edition with an extended mag tube which holds 7, which means other BPS barrels are not compatible with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
OP There is no reason why you cannot shoot trap with a pump shotgun like you described.   I used a Mossberg 500 for a couple of years.  Average with the gun was 19.   This last week end I saw 2 first time shooters using the same type of gun you are talking about.  As far as short barrels go I took my 20ga. coach gun  out 3 weeks ago and shot a 22 with it.  It is so short that it will not fit in any of the racks at the trap club.  Yes I get a lot of looks when I do that.

You donot need an expensive trap or skeet gun to have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top