Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 10:07:01 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the best forum to ask.  I am currently using a Leupold VX-R Patrol scope on my service rifle but I'm not happy w/ it.

The turret detents are mushy, the knobs are too small, the crosshairs are too wide and it just doesn't seem bright enough (could be my 50 y/o eyes)

I looked at the Leupold service rifle scope, 1300.00 from liberty.  A nightforce is 1950.00.  

What are you using or what have you seen others using?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
March 1-4 highpower.  Got one for my son as well.  Changing to MTR-D3 reticle (he's using a Vortex until they get back from reticle change in Japan):

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenM4Guy:
Leupold mark AR with WOA Tracker knobs
View Quote

Looks like it has been discontinued
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the nightforce but at a cheaper price range the vortex viper pst/ranger is a great option. It has good tactile clicks and tracks well. The reticle is also good for service rifle. I recently saw them on sale for 299 from europtics. You will see them come up for sale on the regular.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm using a Leupold VX-4.5 HD with the HPR-1 reticle, and I love the scope !

If you are military/veteran or leo, sign up for a VIP account with Leupold. I paid under $1000 for my scope shipped.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using an Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5x.  Designed just for service rifle.  Great reticle, great price, side focus.  https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Riflescope-1-4-5x24-Reticle/dp/B07M717DRD
Can't see the point of spending $$$ on a better 4.5x when the SR rules have to change soon... Army using 6x, USMC 8x optics.  As soon as NRA/CMP allow 6x there will be a bunch of 4.5x optics for sale cheap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I ended up buying one of the distinguished Rifleman scopes from White Oak and so far I like it. Shot one match with it yesterday
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
March 1-4 highpower.  Got one for my son as well.  Changing to MTR-D3 reticle (he's using a Vortex until they get back from reticle change in Japan):

https://marchscopes.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/mtrd3.png

View Quote

This.  I had the Nightforce SR-2. I like the March better and prefer the dot over the crosshairs of the NF. Great tracking, great zero stop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm also 50+

I run a Vortex Viper PST Gen2 with the MOA reticle I'm very happy with it. For $600 it's swinging way above it's weight class.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CPTmorgan:
I'm using an Athlon Helos BTR 1-4.5x.  Designed just for service rifle.  Great reticle, great price, side focus.  https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics-Riflescope-1-4-5x24-Reticle/dp/B07M717DRD
Can't see the point of spending $$$ on a better 4.5x when the SR rules have to change soon... Army using 6x, USMC 8x optics.  As soon as NRA/CMP allow 6x there will be a bunch of 4.5x optics for sale cheap.
View Quote

When do you think the magnification change will be?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
2nd hand, but Mark Johnson was quoted "no magnification change til I retire". And keeping with tradition, probably 10 years anyway.
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm retired and on a fixed income so had to add glass on the cheap. I took a chance with the Bushnell AR Series 1-4x24 and am totally pleased with it. I shoot xtc so I'm using it at 2,3, and 600 yds. Its glass is surprisingly clear and bright for such an inexpensive scope. The elevation and windage knob clicks are defined and not mushy AND they stay put AND repeat. Although the reticle has a bdc scale, there's plenty of adjustment in the scope to be able to dial it in to what ever distance I'm needing.
Are there better scopes out there?? Sure there are, but just remember this, a more expensive scope won't automatically make you a better shooter. It just allows you to see the target better. I'm not out-shooting my equipment--yet. When you can out-shoot your equipment, then it's time to upgrade.
Jon
Link Posted: 12/23/2022 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
March Optics……. Hands down
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By garbageman:
I ended up buying one of the distinguished Rifleman scopes from White Oak and so far I like it. Shot one match with it yesterday
View Quote
Surprised to see very little across the internet about this scope.

@garbageman any follow-up critique?
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Originally Posted By garbageman:

I like the scope overall but it is very heavy.  The adjustable parallax is handy.  Rarely use the illuminated reticle.  The reticle itself is perfect for service rifle IMO.  The turrets are big and have solid clicks.

John makes good stuff.  I know he didn't make the scope but it is his design.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
All the ones I'm finding are 2nd focal plane, can anyone recommend a first focal plane scope under $500?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wtwining:
All the ones I'm finding are 2nd focal plane, can anyone recommend a first focal plane scope under $500?
View Quote

I don’t think any of the scopes that are suitable for service rifle competition are FFP scopes. Max magnification is 4.5x and you will most likely only use the scope at max power. SFP is fine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By A6BN:

I don’t think any of the scopes that are suitable for service rifle competition are FFP scopes. Max magnification is 4.5x and you will most likely only use the scope at max power. SFP is fine.
View All Quotes

Exactly, why would you need a first focal for service rifle?
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Thanks man!
Maybe CPTmorgan is right and we'll see CMP allow 6x scopes, but its been close to 2 years now, not look good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

View Quote

I'm considering this scope:
4x24 FFP

I prefer the MOA but I'm told that FFP is better for longer range.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]

4x24 FFP

View All Quotes

4x24 FFP

Service rifle is known distance (100/200/300/600), You're not going to use the reticle to range a target. You're already going to have your zeros for those distances and a FFP reticle gets pretty small at lower power magnification.

Truth be told, The Majority of shooters do not and would be better served not using a FFP.
All the cool kids who shooot 1000+ yds told everybody here they need FFP, so everybody jumped on that band wagon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:39:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Harv24] [#22]
And that reticle does not lend itself to shooting NRA Bullseye targets like the kind you use in service rifle.

take a look at this one

creedmoor
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#23]
And that reticle does not lend itself to shooting NRA Bullseye targets like the kind you use in service rifle.

take a look at this one

creedmoor
View Quote

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#24]
FFP will obscure too much of the target at higher power to get the precision aiming point you'll need.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#25]

4x24 FFP

View Quote

I use the non-illuminated, SFP version of that scope on my rifle for xtc matches. It's good to 600 yards. There's enough adjustment in it that you can dial it to 600 yards and not have to use the bdc dots.
Jon
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 8:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#26]
Originally Posted By Musketjon:
FFP will obscure too much of the target at higher power to get the precision aiming point you'll need.
View Quote
If Bushnell's illustration is to scale, with 16 MOA ring and 4 MOA 300yd hash subtension, the center bulb should be about 1. It fits rather well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I use the Hi-Lux XTC 4x32.  It has served me well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top