Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2021 11:02:16 AM EDT
Has something like this been done before?

Think Tactical Games and Run and Gun hybrid. Something like a 3 mile course with various shit scattered throughout with plate carriers as required equipment?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
I went to an match/event just to pick up a part from one of the shooters.  The gear queens mostly were wearing plate carriers and bump helmets, so yes, it is probably a thing.

Shaved forearms are also a requirement.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Most R&Gs have different classes to include PCs.  If you find one you want to attend make sure you are at your computer the minute it goes live for sign ups.  They sell out quick.  Even if there isn't a class for a PC you can still wear one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The OK run & gun in Pawnee has a juggernaut challenge.  Plates and helmet required.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LineOfDeparture] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By camarofrk:
Most R&Gs have different classes to include PCs.  If you find one you want to attend make sure you are at your computer the minute it goes live for sign ups.  They sell out quick.  Even if there isn't a class for a PC you can still wear one.
View Quote

I wore mine for one back in April. I think I was the only one doing it.

Down here in Texas, I've not been to a R&G that had classes set up. Would be nice. Maybe I'll mention it to the folks that organize ours down here.

Edit: I almost went to the Pawnee match this year. I need to see when their next one is and see about going to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#5]
The Tactical Games requires a #15 pound vest for males and, I think, #12 for females.

Edit: It doesn’t need to be ballistic, it just needs to make weight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:

Think Tactical Games and Run and Gun hybrid. Something like a 3 mile course with various shit scattered throughout with plate carriers as required equipment?
View Quote

You are lucky to be based in TX. There are more Run and Gun matches in TX than anywhere else in the country. Several different organizations are hosting multiple matches a year.

The big two are www.oedefense.com and www.wtfbiathlon.com

Unfortunately, neither of those matches normally offer a specific plate carrier division. Plenty of people elect to wear their PCs for load carriage (with or without plates, your choice), but they are not specifically required.  

The matches held in the greater Ohio River Valley (i.e. KY, OH, TN) are more known for having some sort of Operator Division where you are competing only against other people wearing rifle rated plates or a minimum dry weight on your PC. Some of these matches also have a separate division with a minimum load weight (usually 35-45 lbs dry weight, up to you whether you want to put that in a pack or on a PC). Some other matches used to have a "Mule Division" where the winner is simply the person who finishes the match with the heaviest pack of all (as a percentage of body weight) but after people were doing 8-10 mile courses with 160 lbs on their backs, most match directors stopped offering Mule because the likelihood of injury was just too damn high with all these idiots trying to carry ungodly amounts of weight and racing.

If you're a FB user, the main place to get more info about RnG matches is in the group "RnG Discussion" - it's private, but you should be able to find it in search. Make sure to answer the questions or you will not be admitted.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ClangClang:

You are lucky to be based in TX. There are more Run and Gun matches in TX than anywhere else in the country. Several different organizations are hosting multiple matches a year.

The big two are www.oedefense.com and www.wtfbiathlon.com

Unfortunately, neither of those matches normally offer a specific plate carrier division. Plenty of people elect to wear their PCs for load carriage (with or without plates, your choice), but they are not specifically required.  

The matches held in the greater Ohio River Valley (i.e. KY, OH, TN) are more known for having some sort of Operator Division where you are competing only against other people wearing rifle rated plates or a minimum dry weight on your PC. Some of these matches also have a separate division with a minimum load weight (usually 35-45 lbs dry weight, up to you whether you want to put that in a pack or on a PC). Some other matches used to have a "Mule Division" where the winner is simply the person who finishes the match with the heaviest pack of all (as a percentage of body weight) but after people were doing 8-10 mile courses with 160 lbs on their backs, most match directors stopped offering Mule because the likelihood of injury was just too damn high with all these idiots trying to carry ungodly amounts of weight and racing.

If you're a FB user, the main place to get more info about RnG matches is in the group "RnG Discussion" - it's private, but you should be able to find it in search. Make sure to answer the questions or you will not be admitted.
View Quote

Thanks for the fb group recommendation. I'm familiar with Old Eighteen Defense down here. Pretty sure I've signed up for every run and gun in the state this year. Including Marfa and their mystery lights run and gun. Is there someone else besides Old Eighteen Defense and the occasional independent ones like Marfa's?
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Not sure about the Run and Gun format but out West we have Hard as Hell match and the Brutality matches that have a Armored/Trooper class that has requirements for Armor, water, ammo, helmet.

For Reference
Red Oktober match last weekend in Vegas was Rifle rated plates front and back, 2 liters of water, 90rnds of ammo for rifle, helmet and fixed blade knife. Next month at brutality its almost identical except for only needing 1 liter of water. Brutality is definitely more physical with low crawling, carrying weights, throwing heavy things, running distances etc.

Typically I will shoot local matches in kit to prep for the major ones

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Come to Cola Warrior and run combat class.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BMSMB:
View Quote

I would if they ever did one in Texas.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BMSMB:

Keep your eyes peeled I believe there will be a texas event either this year or next year!  You should absolutely run in the combat class if you give it a go.  There is only a half mile run.

I have been looking into run and guns quiet a bit and got a chance to run the lead farm event in missouri last weekend it was a blast and there were several guys running with plate carriers although I decided to go ahead with the minimalist version.  I will definately run with plates in the future although likely not at the WTF event in arkansas this year or the pawnee twilight as one is an auto 10k and the other is at night.  I think its pretty key to remember for the OP that you can always make the world harder or more realistic at these kinds of events as long as you are sticking to the rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top