Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2018 7:39:11 PM EDT
I have never done one of these before, so I learned a lot.  It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to shoot it again next year.

Rockcastle Run and Gun
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the club.

Once you get started doing them, you won't want to stop.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that looked rough.......in a fun sadistic way.

So how far were the runs between stages?  10k total?

Awesome job BTW.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, that looked rough.......in a fun sadistic way.

So how far were the runs between stages?  10k total?

Awesome job BTW.
View Quote
I'd estimate the shortest run between stages to be about a half mile, and the longest run about a mile and a half.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm signed up for the 9/11 Legion 5K in Sept.  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm signed up for the 9/11 Legion 5K in Sept.  Looking forward to it.
View Quote
See you there!
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the 10K.   This is going to be AWESOME!!!

Before my ever patient and lovely wife wife gave me the go-ahead to signup, I had to prove to that I could make 10K so I rucked for 7.2 miles with a 20lb plate.

I signed up for Lightfighter but the voices in my head are yelling ..... "Go Tier 1".    I've been rucking with 50lbs and am up to 4.2 miles.   I'm figuring I have to be able to carry 65lbs when the guns and stuff are all tallied up.  65lbs may be 10lbs too much for me.

Are you guys going to run or walk?    I'm walking.

See you guys there.  I'll be the one with the big smile having the time of his life.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be running (most of the way). Be sure and look me up. I'll be ROing or doing some other important task.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#8]
The video was great. Even tbough it was your first one, you made it look like you had been doing these events all along. I haven't done one yet, but really want to try one. I don't have a chest rig. Did you feel like it got in the way when you had to do the crawling obstacles?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The video was great. Even tbough it was your first one, you made it look like you had been doing these events all along. I haven't done one yet, but really want to try one. I don't have a chest rig. Did you feel like it got in the way when you had to do the crawling obstacles?
View Quote
I went with a battle belt.

Already need a belt for the pistol,  why add another layer to hang up?

No, not much to get tangled in on this course.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reply! I guess "chest rig" is probably the wrong description for the vest/mag holder you had on. Looks like you were able to crawl effortlessly with it on without dirt and mud messing up the mags on the front, and they didn't seem to interfere with you shooting prone. I only mention these observations as I try to figure out what I would need to finish an event like this, and your video is real helpful in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody here do the 10k this week?  A good friend of mine ran it and I followed taking pics and vid.  Almost non-stop rain.  It was a glorious mess.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes.   Did it look as hard as it felt?

This was the best match ever.   The stage design was light years ahead of anything Ive seen in USPSA.   If awards were given out for creativity and challenge all 7 stages would win

I hope you can post your pictures.  I've got stories about each one and that hill.  THAT HILL ..... It felt endless and with the rain and fogged up glasses I had no idea how far it was to the top.   It messed with my mind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I really enjoyed the 5K Saturday.  The stages were great!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes.   Did it look as hard as it felt?

This was the best match ever.   The stage design was light years ahead of anything Ive seen in USPSA.   If awards were given out for creativity and challenge all 7 stages would win

I hope you can post your pictures.  I've got stories about each one and that hill.  THAT HILL ..... It felt endless and with the rain and fogged up glasses I had no idea how far it was to the top.   It messed with my mind.
View Quote
The hill and the fogged glasses/optics was the talk of the day.  I drove to the stages so I didn't have any issues getting around

In all seriousness, it looked rough yet fun as hell.  The first stage set the tone.  I am definitely doing the 10k next year.  I'll get some pics up after work today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]
That first stage was kick right square in the nuts; then that climb out of the "hole" back  to the road, then the climb up the road . . . . Hell, I think the entire course was uphill.

It was my first RO job (at a match of this scale). The amount of work that goes in to put one of these on is incredible. You need to thank Matt Stennett for his hard work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
A tough course. I did the 15k in March, and this 10k seemed worse. Of course, I was carrying a lot more ammo and wearing rifle plates this time. That didn’t help.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I'm trying to post pics but by the time I shrink them to fit there's almost nothing left.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#18]
A shot from the stage I was RO’ing. Shooters had to wade through a waist-deep pond to get to the stage.

Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
A nasty pond
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Good photos
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#22]
More pics on flickr
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Shooting off  the Horse and stage 4.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#24]
By far my favorite stage.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Videos from my shooting partner's run in the 5K

2018 Legion 911 Memorial 5k - Stage 1

2018 Legion 911 Memorial 5k - Stage 2
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anybody here do the 10k this week?  A good friend of mine ran it and I followed taking pics and vid.  Almost non-stop rain.  It was a glorious mess.
View Quote
I'm not one for emotions, but glorious may be the best way to describe the entire event.

If a person only trains on the flat range, in good weather, they have no idea how their body, their equipment, and their mind will perform when truly challenged.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 4:09:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply! I guess "chest rig" is probably the wrong description for the vest/mag holder you had on. Looks like you were able to crawl effortlessly with it on without dirt and mud messing up the mags on the front, and they didn't seem to interfere with you shooting prone. I only mention these observations as I try to figure out what I would need to finish an event like this, and your video is real helpful in that regard.
View Quote
I didn't have any issues with the chest rig.  I intentionally kept my mags to one level, though--no piggy-backed mag pouches that would have ended up being too thick and bulky.
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#28]
How do you find out about these? This looks awesome! I came into this forum tonight to ask about long range shooting and long distance running combination races, but I'm really interested in any kind of shooting competition (other than standard biathalon) that involves longer distance running.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How do you find out about these? This looks awesome! I came into this forum tonight to ask about long range shooting and long distance running combination races, but I'm really interested in any kind of shooting competition (other than standard biathalon) that involves longer distance running.
View Quote
There's a facebook group call Run N Gun Discussion. If you do facebook, you can join that group. There's lots in info there, including a list of all the Run n' Gun competitions.

If you Facebook, click here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like Nick710 said that facebook page has info on them. I see you're in MD. Not sure how far KY is from you, but I think Rockcastle might be the closest one to you?

As for long distance running, most of the ones here in TX are 10K, with the WTF biathlon near Waco offering both a 10K and a 5K sprint. I think there's one in Pawnee, OK that even offers both a 10K and a 20K, or at least it used to.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Any of these in GA/NC/SC?  I would travel to do one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like Nick710 said that facebook page has info on them. I see you're in MD. Not sure how far KY is from you, but I think Rockcastle might be the closest one to you?

As for long distance running, most of the ones here in TX are 10K, with the WTF biathlon near Waco offering both a 10K and a 5K sprint. I think there's one in Pawnee, OK that even offers both a 10K and a 20K, or at least it used to.
View Quote
I think the closest is the Carolina Run N Gun at 7 hrs away. Should be close to @ErikS also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any of these in GA/NC/SC?  I would travel to do one.
View Quote
River Bend Gun Club in Georgia hosted one back in the Spring.  Look for it around April if they do it again.  And the aforementioned Carolina Run and Gun in NC was in September.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Do events get posted here in advance or is there a link I can follow that compiles the information.

I don’t FB so that won’t work for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do events get posted here in advance or is there a link I can follow that compiles the information.

I don’t FB so that won’t work for me.
View Quote
Erik, If you don't Facebook, you'll have a hard time keeping up. There is a group called "Run and Gun Discussion" on Facebook that tracks all the events. You should do Facebook for that alone, if for no other reason.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I shot a link to my son who does FB and is into CW and who would be interested also.  He will keep me informed.

@ChefSingletary
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody sign up for the 5 or 10k in March?  I signed up for the 10.  I don't think I was thinking clearly when I did.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anybody sign up for the 5 or 10k in March?  I signed up for the 10.  I don't think I was thinking clearly when I did.
View Quote
I need to go look.  I am doing cola the first weekend of the month so that have see if I can fit it in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
The 5k sold out in 5 minutes and the 10 in 17 hours.  Also I appear to have been squaded.  No idea what that entails.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I need to go look.  I am doing cola the first weekend of the month so that have see if I can fit it in.
View Quote
You'll get exponentially more value out of a Run n' Gun than you will a Cola Run.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You'll get exponentially more value out of a Run n' Gun than you will a Cola Run.
View Quote
The prizes go deep at CW and aren't cheap stuff.  I have pulled $600 worth in just 2 outings.

As far as quality shooting sports events go I am sure Run and Gun events are much better.  You don't shoot enough at CW events.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 5k sold out in 5 minutes and the 10 in 17 hours.  Also I appear to have been squaded.  No idea what that entails.
View Quote
I must have missed the emails about the sign ups.  Oops.

Oh well, I have my boards the next weekend, should be studying anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Already sold out?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Already sold out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Already sold out?
Yep.  It is a popular match.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The prizes go deep at CW and aren't cheap stuff.  I have pulled $600 worth in just 2 outings.

As far as quality shooting sports events go I am sure Run and Gun events are much better.  You don't shoot enough at CW events.  
View Quote
If you're doing these events for prizes, you're doing them for the wrong reasons. I've never seen anything on a prize table worth the friendships and experience I gain at a Run n' Gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you're doing these events for prizes, you're doing them for the wrong reasons. I've never seen anything on a prize table worth the friendships and experience I gain at a Run n' Gun.
View Quote
In this case I have formed close friendships with my Colabros. No doubt the same can happen with other groups. At this time CW would be my priority because of this.

Many on ARFCOM are familiar with the nutty light hearted the CW group has.

For a shooting event, a run and gun would be WAY better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Already sold out?
Is there a wait list?  Seems like the kind of thing a fair amount of people might not end up making it too.

I guess I need to get on Facebook, but it has been 5+ years and I’m holding out for some other way to find out about these run n guns...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#48]
https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

This is where the sign-ups are.  There are a bunch of matches posted around the country.  Not sure if cancellations will be posted.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://practiscore.com/dashboard/home

This is where the sign-ups are.  There are a bunch of matches posted around the country.  Not sure if cancellations will be posted.
View Quote
Thanks, I’ll get on the wait list. Anything like this in Ohio?  Or way to train for it?  Don’t know of any ranges in central Ohio where something like this could take place but would love it if there were...
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks, I’ll get on the wait list. Anything like this in Ohio?  Or way to train for it?  Don’t know of any ranges in central Ohio where something like this could take place but would love it if there were...
View Quote
I don't see anything in Ohio that comes close to a run and gun.  As far as training, finding a range where you can shoot and move might be tough.  I can shoot and move at my gun club but only with pistol.  I've taken to wearing my gear when I exercise and as soon as the new year is over I'm putting all the gear on and going for a walk on some of the trails in the area.  I have a coat big enough to hide it all but it is a bit, ridiculous looking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top