Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2019 8:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DrZelig]
Never formally shot competitively before, would like to start, and use one of my trusty S&W revolvers. Have a 19 & 686, both 4”bbls, they are 100% bone stock, except for the Hogue Rubber Monogrips on them.  What’s a good discipline to start with?  I reload strictly 38spl, super light, target/range stuff.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Idpa, USPSA, and steel challenge have revolver divisions.

Icore is an entire discipline devoted to revolver.

I'd probably start with steel challenge.

Revo is dead in USPSA.  And idpa is dumb.  Icore looks okay.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm also interested in this. My Match Champion might be my favorite gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
PPC if you find a match anywhere.  It's a good way to start.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The NRA has the Distinguished Revolver Badge and Harry Reeves matches. Both are very fun and take tremendous skill.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been a while but I shot bullseye,IPSC and a few PPC matches with a 686 with a Tasco red dot and a BoMar rib iron sights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR-180:
The NRA has the Distinguished Revolver Badge and Harry Reeves matches. Both are very fun and take tremendous skill.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

It is hard to get.  I won mine with three ten point legs, but that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
Idpa, USPSA, and steel challenge have revolver divisions.

Icore is an entire discipline devoted to revolver.

I'd probably start with steel challenge.

Revo is dead in USPSA.  And idpa is dumb.  Icore looks okay.
View Quote

I have no experience with this facet of the shooting world. What makes IDPA dumb but Icore OK? The rules themselves? The people? The orgs?
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Icore and Steel Challenge are your best bets. I shoot and love USPSA, I shoot Open, have shot Limited, it’s way too much reloading for Revolver
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#10]
@Hoser and @223spree - thanks for your answers! Have you happened to see anyone shooting Match Champions at these events? Do you think 6 round revolvers still have a chance against 7 (or even 8) round revolvers, or is that more dependent upon the organization and divisional rules?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I shoot revolver a lot in USPSA and IDPA. I am almost always the only one and in USPSA and at a strong disadvantage.

If you wanted to shoot a 6 shot revo I would find IDPA or ICORE matches. A 6 shot revo really forces too many standing reloads in USPSA and they just become frustrating. USPSA is really an 8 shot revo game.

IDPA does still have some silly rules but it is much more revo friendly. I can finish top 10 in local matches and usually finish in the top 50% in State Championship matches overall.

Revo will teach you trigger control, stage planning, and every shot must count.

Steel Challenge is much more fun with a 10 shot 22 revo or an 8 shot centerfire. It can be shot with a 6 shooter but it makes me run way too conservative for fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top