Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2014 6:25:16 PM EDT
Lots of content on this topic over at BE forums, but I just got a new glock and thought it might be cool to start a thread over here as I work it up with lots of pictures for all the new glock gunners we have coming to the shooting sports.  I am no expert, but I have shot glocks for quite some time now and figured this might be of interest to folks.  

Here's the pistol as it is, bone stock.  

I am currently still on the fence for a few things, but I will start in this order for the project:

- New sights, probably Dawson Precision or TTI fixed sights.  I have both on different pistols and like both.  Leaning towards the TTIs since Taran supports so many matches.
- Zev Competition spring kit and polish the trigger/safety plunger parts (may also purchase a Zev V4 racer connecter, we'll see how it feels after polishing up the stock parts)
- Zev guide rod and recoild spring retaining washer with an ISMI 13lb spring ( I will probably get an 11lb to play with too, but the consensus seems to be 13lb is the way to go )

That isn't the best trigger option I can go with, but it keeps the gun production legal and is a huge improvement over stock.  I am still trying to decide if I cam going to try to keep this pistol Production legal, so magwells and other changes are still being considered.  I already have 3 TTI base pads that I threw on the mags that came with the gun.  I will probably post and update about holsters/lights/etc that would be relevant to all the different and awesome matches we have available to shoot now.  More to follow on that though.  

Anyways, hopefully this will be of interest and helpful for folks just getting started and wondering where to go.  I will try to post lost of pictures and updates as I go.  I can't promise the project will be fast.  TXMG is next week, my wife put me on a budget and I already have a g34 set up for competition, but I will do my best to keep this up to date if there is interest.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#2]
As always, open to suggestions and opinions    Going to have fun setting this gun up I think.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Please keep us updated.  There are a lot of us shooting combat Tupperware.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
OST
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright, update time.  I ended up buying a set of TTI sights this past weekend.  Here's a quick install.  One thing I can say is a noticeable difference between them and Dawson sights is that there is no "fitting" required.  Meaning I don't have to file the dovetail for it to fit the slide like I do with Dawsons.  Not a good or a bad thing, just a heads up for those looking for sights that require less fitting.

All I used for these sights were a small cheapy gunsmithing hammer, a set of dawson tools (sight pusher and nut driver) and some locktite.

It does not take much force to remove the rear sight.  Few taps and it's out.

The TTI's come with both yellow/red fiber optic.  I prefer the yellow.

A couple of quick picks to show you the difference in widths on the sights

The front sight is easy to install, but be warned, it is not a tight fit.  So do not put the front sight into the slide and then turn it over expecting it to stay in place while your drive the screw into hold it in place.  Best bet is to insert it into the slide, hold it down with your thumb and fasten it to the slide.  

Rear sight slides into the dove tail about 1/4 of the way.  It requires more force to center than the stock sights took to come out, but not a lot more.  No reason to go HULK on installing these.

Now that the sights are install, getting the fiber optic installed is the last step before checking the zero.  (I like to check the rear sight with a micro meter to try to get things as centered as possible)

All done, next on the list is a spring kit and connector.  Hope this was somewhat helpful.  I will try to post some pics of my glocks with Dawson sights vs TTI sights if anyone is interested.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Vanek Custom sells a production class legal trigger that is pretty nice.  I just put one in my 34 and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

ETA: Spelling
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  Hoping to get the trigger and recoil spring/rod squared away by the end of the month, we'll see what Ms. Coconut1 allows past the check book.

For the moment I am going to skip the higher $$ trigger kits.  Later on that will probably change.  I am also trying to set up a belt for an MP Pro I am going to have to start shooting for some matches, so I need to exercise some restraint...  Thanks for the interest guys.  

More than open to suggestions and comments despite $$ constraints.  Just figured so many people used this platform, I might as well do a thread.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
My two cents...........................

Skip all the spring stuff, get a 3.5 Ghost Rocket connector with over travel stop. Follow the directions, or come see me for install. Easy and cheap, best dollar for improvement you can make to a Glocks trigger. You can spend more and not have any improvement. After that, just keep shooting it, the more you shoot it the smoother it will get.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#10]
just bumping this to keep it out of archive.  been spinning plates and haven't had time to do any further work.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Still sitting on this guy.  I haven't been doing much work on it due to a new SS project.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I used Dawson sights, a Zev Fulcrum trigger, and added a tungsten guide rod to my 3-gun G17.

The Fulcrum trigger is great but the titanium plunger that it came with was noticeably chewed up after 2 years worth of matches.  Put the factory steel plunger back in but might buy one of the lighter plunger springs to try.  If I do a good job of riding the trigger and not going beyond where I need for reset, I don't notice the plunger take-up.  From a draw, I notice the creepy spring as I prep the trigger.

I like the Dawsons but the TTI sights weren't available when I got mine.

I really like the added weight of the tungsten guide rode and I think it is a worthwhile addition.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used Dawson sights, a Zev Fulcrum trigger, and added a tungsten guide rod to my 3-gun G17.

The Fulcrum trigger is great but the titanium plunger that it came with was noticeably chewed up after 2 years worth of matches.  Put the factory steel plunger back in but might buy one of the lighter plunger springs to try.  If I do a good job of riding the trigger and not going beyond where I need for reset, I don't notice the plunger take-up.  From a draw, I notice the creepy spring as I prep the trigger.

I like the Dawsons but the TTI sights weren't available when I got mine.

I really like the added weight of the tungsten guide rode and I think it is a worthwhile addition.
View Quote

yeah, the heavy guide rods are nice.  I want to keep this as a back up to my production pistol for USPSA, so I won't add a tungsten guide rod.  I think I actually prefer the Dawson sights, but these TTIs are good sights too.  Interesting info on the titanium plunger.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know of any grip plugs that will work with backstraps installed?  Like the jentra?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.glockmeister.com/Glockmeister-Grip-Plug-for-Full-Size-Compact-Gen-4-GLOCKS/productinfo/BCIG4

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=151

http://www.rockyourglock.com/parts/GEN4PLugs.htm

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I am shooting a G35 G4 frame with G3 slide in USPSA Limited.  I installed a metal guide rod and 15# spring.  LW G35 barrel.  Glock 3.5# connector, ext slide stop, ext take down lever and ext. mag release.  I like the OE Glock adj rear sights and HiViz green front sights.  I found that the outline rear sight gives me faster target acquisition.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vanek Custom sells a production class legal trigger that is pretty nice.  I just put one in my 34 and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

ETA: Spelling
View Quote
Listen to this guy.  IMO Vanek Custom is the best trigger on the market and it's the best thing you can do to your glock.  I have a Vanek with an Overwatch Precision Shoe on my 35 and it don't get any better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Best trigger option on the market for Uspsa is a DK Custom trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top