Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2012 11:58:01 AM EDT
I find myself “hunting” for sight alignment/sight picture on my first target acquisition after my draw.  Typically after I’ve aligned my sights and broke off the first round I have no trouble with follow up’s or transitioning to the next target.  So, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or drills for improving sight picture acquisition immediately after the draw?
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Every night I dry fire.  My warm up consists of draws from different starting positions aiming at a 1" piece of tape on the wall.  After doing that a while the sights just line up perfectly almost every time.  That drill also practices trigger control if you make sure your front sight doesn't leave the target throughout the trigger press.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
For more instinctive indexing try Brian Enos's blind draw drills.

1. Face a blank wall bust stand about 1-8 yards from it with your gun unloaded and holstered.

2. Close your eyes.

3. Draw at moderate speed but don't pull the trigger, just take it to the breaking point on an imaginary target in front of you.

4. Open your eyes and see where the front sight is at.

5. If the post is not in the notch, go to step 1.

6. With gun still extended close eyes and transition to an imaginary target to your far right or left.

7. Open your eyes and see where the front sight is at.

8. Repeat as necessary.

Buy Beyond Fundamentals by Brian Enos.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an iPhone app called DryFireTrainer. It will start you with a beep, then show you a target for a user specified amount of time.

Set your target time and do the drill over and over, smoothly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By uscbigdawg1:
Here's your answer:

Dry Fire Drills by Matt Burkett & Predator Tactical

Rich

This is awesome.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]
things tend to go wrong on the first of anything because you are rushing. try slowing down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top