Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2023 12:33:02 PM EDT
Peterson has introduced a series of LONG brass for competitive use that can be trimmed to meet the shooters needs to customize to an individual firearm.

I am trying to figure out if there is an advantage to use this brass in a semi-auto AR based rifle.  I don't see the advantage since I'm not loading to touch (or nearly touch) the lands  with the bullet ogive.  Is there an advantage in case life to load with a longer brass case?  I'm a long time reloader (50+ yrs), but have never loaded for a belted magnum round that doesn't  headspace on the bottleneck or measured at the datum before. On this one, I'm back to being a noob.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The little I know about this -

Peterson brass is very decent quality, overall.

I had to neck turn every single piece of brass because the case necks were way too thick to even seat a bullet in my die.  This is not a problem but is an unexpected nuisance for otherwise premium brass.  If I did not have a neck turning set up, I might feel otherwise and less kindly.

After that first firing, I thought reloaders of belted magnums would re-size the cases to headspace off the shoulders (like all other bottle neck cartridges).  That is, if the usual 2-3 mil set back of the shoulder still allows the brass to chamber.  As I understand it, headspace relative to the belt can be large (sloppy) leading to shortened case life.

That's all I know and half of it is hear say (from credible people).  

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top